tripp

EOG Master
Re: Larry Bird On Lebron

lebron will win his 3rd mvp this year by age 27

kobe has 1 mvp in his entire career for comparison

steak tartar

EOG Dedicated

MVP awards are nothing like a ring....ask any NBA player what they would rather have....

true but its not a gauge of who is better..............marino has no rings difler one...marino is 1000 times the qb dilfer was

and when comparing guys from different eras we have to adjust for their time when they played.....or how can we compare unitas to favre or cobb to musial or bird to lebron

you compare them against thier competition when they played and make adjustments...of course unitas would be a bench warmer today but that doesnt mean he wasnt better than favre or elway....you have to adjust for the era

its all subjective but rings would be a 10% er for me when finding a guys overall quality

J

joeybagadonuts

true but its not a gauge of who is better..............marino has no rings difler one...marino is 1000 times the qb dilfer was

and when comparing guys from different eras we have to adjust for their time when they played.....or how can we compare unitas to favre or cobb to musial or bird to lebron

you compare them against thier competition when they played and make adjustments...of course unitas would be a bench warmer today but that doesnt mean he wasnt better than favre or elway....you have to adjust for the era

its all subjective but rings would be a 10% er for me when finding a guys overall quality

Easily most sensible thing said in this thread.

And trust me, the nose knows.

:btj:

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

Dilfer was a lottery ring....but I know what you are saying...

steak tartar

EOG Dedicated

Dilfer was a lottery ring....but I know what you are saying...
..ya i now....rings are what they are a small gauge.............gale sayers was as good as anyone jim brown barry sanders included.....he had a short career and no where near a winner.........but he was without a doubt a top 5RB ever

lebron will win his 3rd mvp this year by age 27

kobe has 1 mvp in his entire career for comparison

This proves my point exactly. Kills the reg season vs the eastern conference who 75% of the teams play at a high school level.

Hits the playoffs vs the men and vanishes every single season. Dude has zero heart, hes a clown.

Mjh702

EOG Enthusiast

This proves my point exactly. Kills the reg season vs the eastern conference who 75% of the teams play at a high school level.

Hits the playoffs vs the men and vanishes every single season. Dude has zero heart, hes a clown.

:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO from your mouth to all these Gaybron fans ears. Gaybron just isn't a winner. Doesn't have that killer instinct it takes to win at the highest level. Is he athletic? Of course. Does he have top two or three skills in the league? Yes. The guy just falls apart when it counts. Come playoff time he disappears.

This is what Bird is saying. Gaybron may be this super athlete, Kobe wins. People remember winners and fans like their teams to win.

Kobe would give back his only MVP ring, and any other awards for another championship ring, even though he already has five. That's a winner. Pay attention Gaybron, your window of opportunity is shrinking by the game.

By all the individual hoops stats I look at, Lebronze is the best in the league right now...you guys really ought to visit some of them before mouthing off.

BTW, I love Trailer Parks' pics...

tripp

EOG Master

I wonder if Derrick Rose and the Chicago Bulls think Lebron sucks in the playoffs :pop:

Or how about the Detroit Pistons?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1Px-jPm_TU

Still the most impressive postseason performance I've ever witnessed all things considered (his age, teammates' absolute lack of talent, the opponent's recent dominance in the East, arguably the top defender in the NBA on him, etc). At no point in Kobe's career could he have carried that horrendous Cavs team to an NBA finals. In fact, using history (2005 Lakers) as our indicator - the Cavs probably would not have made the playoffs if you switched Kobe and Lebron.
Did you see the defense they played in that youtube video? Watch it again. They actually ran out of LeBrons way when he would drive. In the 70s and 80s, you got knocked on your ass.

newport2

EOG Dedicated

You can win MVPs with an abundance of talent. World Championships are won with the mind. Immaturity and a false sense of entitlement is what finally cost the Heat last year.

Reggie Miller scores 8 points in 11 seconds
Rick Weinberg
Special to ESPN.com
The game, for all intent and purpose, was over. The New York Knicks had a 105-99 lead with 18.7 seconds left in Game 1 of the 1995 Eastern Conference semifinals against their hated rivals, Reggie Miller and the Indiana Pacers. There is chuckling in the Madison Square Garden stands, as well as on the Knicks' bench. Thoughts turn to Game 2 because Game 1 is over.
So it seems.
THE MOMENT
In what many sports writers consider the most spectacular nine-second, game-ending scoring run in history -- as well as one of the most horrific end-of-the-game collapses -- Reggie Miller hits a 3-point shot with 16.4 seconds left, immediately steals the ensuing inbounds pass and quickly dashes out to the 3-point line and drains another three to tie the game at 105 with 13.3 seconds left -- all this in a dizzying, mind-spinning span of 3.1 seconds on May 7, 1995.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/espn25/story?page=moments/90

You can win MVPs with an abundance of talent. World Championships are won with the mind. Immaturity and a false sense of entitlement is what finally cost the Heat last year.

Right, game 4 easily could have gone either way, thus 7 games. It was a close, coin-flip series. Heat lost, and then the haters come out and fly the "Immaturity, false sense of entitlement, and no heart" flags.

Get this shit out of your systems, and you'll be better handicappers, folks.

kid44

EOG Dedicated

Hypothetically if there was one on one competitions Lebron would most likely win. However, last time i looked you are rated by your teams accomplishments. Lebron has shown me that he cannot win when it counts. That alone makes me think he is not the best. Give me 5 guys with less talent that have drive, smarts, determination and know the game inside and out, would win over a Lebron lead team imo. Hopefully as time goes on, he becomes a better teammate and improves in the team aspect of the game.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

I think the NBA places a much more value on championship rings or titles more than any other sport....just seems that way for me....baseball the least.....

NoCap

EOG Member

lebron is the definition of "NO I IN TEAM"

kobe isnt getting enough credit anymore. kobe can win with ANYONE. lebron will never be the player kobe is/was , the stats might say different but having that extra something that wins titles is something that wont show up on paper.

Getting a ring may be overrated but LebRon single-handidly lost a NBA championship. That can't by overlooked.

LeBron
"All the people that was rooting on me to fail, at the end of the day they have to wake up tomorrow and have the same life that they had before they woke up today," James said Sunday.
"They have the same personal problems they had today. I'm going to continue to live the way I want to live and continue to do the things that I want to do with me and my family and be happy with that. They can get a few days or a few months or whatever the case may be on being happy about not only myself, but the Miami Heat not accomplishing their goal, but they have to get back to the real world at some point."

J

joeybagadonuts

Tim Lincecum stopped eating McDonalds after his bong hits and has lost 20+ lbs of fat this off-season.

Now THAT is some hard work!

tripp

EOG Master

Great quote from Lebron. Loved that. Love when athletes shut up haters by reminding them who lives the better life.

Next time people start asking stupid questions to Lebron he should just bring his MVP trophys, pictures of his ridiculous house, and a print out of his bank account and let those speak for themselves. :btj:

tripp

EOG Master

lebron is the definition of "NO I IN TEAM"

kobe isnt getting enough credit anymore. kobe can win with ANYONE. lebron will never be the player kobe is/was , the stats might say different but having that extra something that wins titles is something that wont show up on paper.

did i really just read that?

kobe has won titles with a top 10 all time player (shaq) in his prime, and then with gasol/bynum/odom, three all star caliber players.

kobe does not have 1 title when he wasnt on the BY FAR the most talented team in the nba. In fact for three of his titles he was not even the best player on his team (arguably).

He whined and wanted out of LA for the few short years he wasnt lucky enough to be surrounded by all stars until they got Pau gasol for free

kobe has never played with teams as bad as the cavs teams Lebron got to the top of the Eastern conf year after year and even somehow made the NBA championship game with them

:shoot:

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Mindless idiots

This isn't football Tim. There are 5 guys on the floor at one time, not 12, and there are 11 on a roster - not 54. The NBA title is decided by one player frequently. Dirk had such an incredible playoffs last year that he won a title - no one would debate that.

Every Lebron supporter used the Cavs excuse forever. Last year he was on a roster with another top 5 player in the NBA and a top 5 PF - they lost. How can the best player in the league "easily" according to you guys not win a title when he's surrounded by one great player and another very good player? Lebron is a top 5 player in the NBA, but your just as ignorant and naive as the Lebron haters when you say he's easily the best player in the league. He's simply not. He may be the most gifted - similar to David Robinson in his day - but he's not on "another level" as you try to portray it.

Shaq was the most dominant player in the league - Champion
Kober was the best player in the league - Champion
Duncan was the best player in the league - Champion
Hakeem was the best player in the league - Champion
Jordan was the best player in the league - Champion

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Truly mind-boggling how people use "rings" to measure a player's greatness while completely ignoring the OVERWHELMING variable that is teammates.

If Lebron had played with Shaq in his prime and then Bynum/Odom/Gasol/Fisher/Phil Jackson he would have at least 5 rings and probably a lot more.

Truly mind boggling that someone as smart as you would compare winning a title as one man in the NBA to winning a title as one man in the NFL.

If Lebron had played with Shaq? Uh, he played with the best 2 guard in the NBA last year and didn't win a thing. He played with a Finals MVP in fact.

Tim, if it's all about efficiency ratings and numbers in basketball then Lebron must be better than Jordan, right? I can only imagine how much love Big O would have gotten from you guys. He averaged a triple double one season and wasn't anywhere near being considered the "best player in the league by far."