Marlins fire Barry Bonds

railbird

EOG Master
Re: Marlins fire Barry Bonds

the best that ever did it, if sports writers have an ounce of guts, he will be a 1st ballot hof with most votes in mlb history. Unfortunatley sportswriters are mostly cowards by nature

Gabe

Horse racing expert

Bonds top 5 of all time. By far the best i ever saw. Travesty he's not in hof.

Just Luck

EOG Dedicated

I wouldn't be surprised if the Giants reach out to Bonds and hire him on some capacity.

mr merlin

EOG Master

the best that ever did it, if sports writers have an ounce of guts, he will be a 1st ballot hof with most votes in mlb history. Unfortunatley sportswriters are mostly cowards by nature
The sportswriters didn't juice him up, did they? Bonds is getting what he deserved.

richsox24

EOG Master

The sportswriters didn't juice him up, did they? Bonds is getting what he deserved.
Absolutely correct. He was a 1st ballet HOF'er and he fukked it up himself. Same goes for Clemens,AROD, and a few others that we easy HOF'ers until they juiced.

railbird

EOG Master

cal ripken was a juice head, and 10times more phony than Steve Garvey or OJ

Brayden11

EOG Dedicated

Originally Posted by railbird
cal ripken was a juice head, and 10times more phony than Steve Garvey or OJ

Proof?

Just another biased opinion from RailBird. I'm sure Cal probably wronged Birdy in some way.

kane

EOG master

Silence from Racist Rail, just as I thought. The asshole just spews whatever bullshit happens to be in his head at the time, with no proof to ever back up anything he says, what a sad life he lives

No one knows how good he would have been without the needle, thats just it. These guys all look awesome when theyre juicing even 'before' they were supposedly juicing. Because they were ALWAYS using something to enhance themselves.

Remember when EVERYONE was hitting 40 homeruns and had slugging percentages over 750? How many guys have hit more than 35 the past 10 years?

ANY record and stats recorded from the years 1988 to about 2003 should be completely erased. Even now I would say 80% are still using something but its obviously not the rocket fuel they were using in the 90s. I wouldnt be sad if no one who had 'hall of fame' careers who played during that era were systematically left out of the hall on principle alone.

If Bonds had carried himself with the fans and media the way Big Papi has he'd be in first ballot.

lap18

EOG Dedicated

Brady Anderson hit 50 homeruns from the one spot during the steroid era. Doubt that ever happens again.

Valuist

EOG Master

Brady Anderson hit 50 homeruns from the one spot during the steroid era. Doubt that ever happens again.

How about this one: Luis Gonzalez never hit more than 15 home runs in a season in his 20s. At age 33, he hits 58. The guy was 6'2" about 170 lbs the first few years of his career.

How about this one: Luis Gonzalez never hit more than 15 home runs in a season in his 20s. At age 33, he hits 58. The guy was 6'2" about 170 lbs the first few years of his career.

Watched a lot of Gonzo here in Phoenix and in his uniform he never looked big at all. Then one day the newspaper had a pic of him in a tank top and the guy looked absolutely ripped, wirey with muscles growing out of other muscles.

No one knows how good he would have been without the needle, thats just it. These guys all look awesome when theyre juicing even 'before' they were supposedly juicing. Because they were ALWAYS using something to enhance themselves.

Remember when EVERYONE was hitting 40 homeruns and had slugging percentages over 750? How many guys have hit more than 35 the past 10 years?

ANY record and stats recorded from the years 1988 to about 2003 should be completely erased. Even now I would say 80% are still using something but its obviously not the rocket fuel they were using in the 90s. I wouldnt be sad if no one who had 'hall of fame' careers who played during that era were systematically left out of the hall on principle alone.

Are you ignoring the fact that the number of home runs this year are as high as they were in the steroid years?

Valuist

EOG Master

Watched a lot of Gonzo here in Phoenix and in his uniform he never looked big at all. Then one day the newspaper had a pic of him in a tank top and the guy looked absolutely ripped, wirey with muscles growing out of other muscles.

He got up to about 200 at 6'2" so it wasn't like he looked like Bonds or Sosa. But that 200 came from 170 so it was a pretty big gain.

Are you ignoring the fact that the number of home runs this year are as high as they were in the steroid years?

you might want to go look up some stats.

There were 10 guys this year ( 8 AL and 2 NL) that had 40 or more HRs. The two in the NL had 41 each. Those guys had a combined 358 Hrs. 10 more guys had 35 of more. In 1998 13 guys had 40 or more and those 13 combined for 742 HRs (almost double). Another 13 guys had 35 or more Hrs that year. It all started to explode in around 96. Prior to that there were 2 or 3 guys a year combined in each league that had 40 or more Hrs.

Like I said 80% are still on something and the guys still putting up huge numbers are guys still getting away with it. But it isnt even close to what it was for a few years.

And that was a typo it should have been 1998 (not 1988) But I was still wrong it started going nuts in about 1996, or at least you saw the definite uptick.

They will never stay ahead of the chemists but at least guys arent hitting 50+ every season.

I also attribute some of the excessive drop off to the potency of whatever theyre taking and also the fact their bodies have become used to whatever it is they ARE taking, so the benefits are not as extreme as they were when they started. Because theyre trying to also be careful and not be blatant.

Bonds, McGuire, Sosa, Canseco, Palmeroid, A Roid they were better than everyone else because they bodies got the most benefit from whatever they were doing. And they had the best stuff. It isnt corollary to say 'they were already HoF caliber players and the roids made them legendary types. It doesnt work that way. Give the REAL legendary guys like Schmidt, Jackson, Ruth, Aaron, Mays drugs and they might not react the same way.

I have been around cycling and running my whole life back when it was the wild wild west and drugs dont effect everyone the same way, and to think that someone who is 'naturally' awesome/talented is going to automatically be that much better when on something that makes a 'mediocre' guy better than him is foolish. But its what all the people do who try and be apologists for cheaters. I saw 4 minute guys juice their eyeballs out and not break 3 56, I saw 410 guys take it and get down to 355. Just depends. Same as cycling, except with cycling it was more about recovery and endurance that all out speed.

Like I said I dont have any problem with every single player during that era being left out of the hall, especially guys who had obvious upticks. But that goes to my other argument that some guys were probably juicing from the start so their numbers were not going to have obvious markers to look for.

Another thing you wont see is 40+ year old guys performing (or outperforming) like legendary guys did in their prime. Although by using better less harmful stuff that might come back around going forward.

Pocket Lint

EOG Addicted

From Trea Turner, to Ozuna, and all the way around to Fat Papi.. They're using something, and once again they ignore it..

Fat 40 year olds don't have career years...

Impossible!

2000 held on to the record with 5693.
2016 had 5609, 2nd of all time.

But wantitall says it's not even close