Michael Fulmer - American League Rookie Of The Year

El Chapo

Banned
He is a Mortal LOCK for AL ROTY.

Today he threw a shutout and now has enough innings to qualify for the ERA title.

His ERA is 2.25. The 2nd place guy is 2.82. DOMINANCE.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Re: Michael Fulmer -American League Rookie Of The Year

Re: Michael Fulmer -American League Rookie Of The Year

Max Kepler of the Twins completes the exacta.

bomzee

EOG Dedicated
Re: Michael Fulmer - American League Rookie Of The Year

Fulmer would have to be the current front runner for the A.L. Cy Young award too.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Fulmer would have to be the current front runner for the A.L. Cy Young award too.

Respectfully disagree.

I predict either J.A. Happ or Zach Britton will win the AL Cy Young Award.

El Chapo

Banned

An incredible domination in the ERA category.

If he were to finish with a 17-3 record and win the ERA title by 60 points, I would say he would get serious consideration.

It'll be interesting to track the sabermetric stats, now that he has enough innings to qualify.

bomzee

EOG Dedicated

Respectfully disagree.

I predict either J.A. Happ or Zach Britton will win the AL Cy Young Award.
Fair enough. I should have said "one of the front runners".
If Fulmer is currently 28-1 to win the Cy Young IMO that is awesome value

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

AL Pitching WAR leaders -

Hamels 4.8
Quintana 4.5
Fulmer 4.4
Verlander 4.2

Discreet Cat

EOG Dedicated

I'd be very surprised if Britton won it. Not that he isn't having an awesome season. They just don't like to give that award to closers. Fernando Rodney finished 5th in the voting back in 2012 after having a Britton-type season, just by way of comparison. Little different this year maybe, with no real standouts on the AL side, but still seems pretty unlikely to me.

As for Fulmer, I agree wholeheartedly with ROY, and I'll go so far as to say that he deserves the Cy Young right now, but it's gonna be really hard for him to win that award if he finishes with less than 15 wins while other contenders are hovering around 20 (not that that Wins make you deserving of the award, but it is what it is). His K total will also be way down due to the late start. Just my two cents.

But @ 28/1, sure, why not. Can't argue at that price.

FWIW, the Wynn currently has Betts @ 10/1 for MVP. Definitely some value there, though Altuve will certainly be hard to beat if he continues to outhit the field by 50 points (in addition to his other stellar numbers). Betts does currently have a decent lead on him in Runs, HR, and RBI, with SB's at least in the ballpark. Plus if the season ended today, Boston would make the playoffs while the Astros miss.

Valuist

EOG Master

In looking at WRC+, weighted runs created, which takes ballpark into effect, Altuve leads all of MLB with a 1 pt lead over Trout. Daniel Murphy tops the NL. Betts is only 20th.

bomzee

EOG Dedicated

IMO
In choosing the Cy Young winner
ERA should trump Wins ( with ocasional exceptions)
FWIW King Felix won the AL Cy Young in 2012 with a 13-12 record based on his ERA while pitching mostly in the ultimate AL pitchers park

El Chapo

Banned

AL Pitching WAR leaders -

Hamels 4.8
Quintana 4.5
Fulmer 4.4
Verlander 4.2

That was YESTERDAY'S News. (Before yesterday's game was counted).

Fulmer leads the AL in WAR for pitchers with 5.1.

El Chapo

Banned

IMO
In choosing the Cy Young winner
ERA should trump Wins ( with ocasional exceptions)
FWIW King Felix won the AL Cy Young in 2012 with a 13-12 record based on his ERA while pitching mostly in the ultimate AL pitchers park

Very true, and agreed. Good analogy.

Fulmer is starting to build a very legit case for CYA.

Valuist

EOG Master

If he gets RoY, he won't get CY. They like to spread the awards around.

Valuist

EOG Master

Here's the WAR numbers from Fangraphs on AL ROY:

Fulmer 2.6
Naquin 2.3
Kepler 1.6
Mazara 1.4
Bundy 1.1

Bundy probably got too late of a start but there still is 6 weeks left. And Naquin has put together a solid under the radar season.

Valuist

EOG Master

Well, he ain't winning the Cy Young and not winning the ROY. So by that logic, it's impossible for him to win the CY.

A lot can change in 6 weeks....but you sound pretty certain he won't win RoY. If not him, then Naquin? Have to think if Naquin wasn't on the Indians, they wouldn't be in 1st place. He's basically taken the place of Brantley....when Brantley was really good, which wasn't every year.

I guess a real sleeper could be Diaz, the new closer in Seattle. But he got a real late start. Tough to win any major award playing a half season.

Discreet Cat

EOG Dedicated

How do I sound uncertain that he won't win the ROY? I never said that. He's almost a lock to win it at this point.

Valuist

EOG Master

How do I sound uncertain that he won't win the ROY? I never said that. He's almost a lock to win it at this point.

I guess I misinterpreted your earlier post. As far as CY goes, he's behind Kluber, Sale, Quintana, Tanaka, Sanchez and his teammate Verlander in WAR, per Fangraphs.

FWIW, if he implodes down the stretch, he won't win RoY. He's in the lead now, but its a tenuous lead, if I may quote Tom Durkin.

Fulmer is the real deal. Guy has great stuff, nice command with unusually high knowledge for a rookie on how to pitch. He's also a big horse built for durability. He will probably be a top ten ace type for years to come. If I had to pick a CY winner right now I might lean with Aaron Sanchez.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

The only pitcher in MLB history to win both the Rookie of the Year Award and the Cy Young Award in the same season was Fernando Valenzuela of the Los Angeles Dodgers in 1981.

Heim

EOG Master

40/1 at Westgate. Current AL fav Happ 9/4.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here

Fulmer might be a legit shot for ROY, but he's no Rick Porcello who has the wins and winning percentage like Happ, and right there in ERA and SO.

Heim

EOG Master

Fulmer might be a legit shot for ROY, but he's no Rick Porcello who has the wins and winning percentage like Happ, and right there in ERA and SO.

fyi....Tigers 16-3 in games he's started.

miggytoddbest

EOG Dedicated

If anyone thinks Rick Porcello is winning a CY Young I think your nuts. He will implode in September. Smoke and mirrors and a good offense.

2014. 15-13. 3.43 era. Allowed 18 HR. FIP 3.67. WHIP 1.23
2016. 16-3. 3.30 era. Allowed 18 HR. FIP 3.70. WHIP 1.05

Point is he has improved WHIP but the record is simply an abberration as his 2014 numbers are not that far off statistically and he probably was about 40th in Cy Young if they went that deep. Meaning zero votes.

He won't get to 20 even with probably 8 starts left. 18-8!!!!!

As Verlander has been screwed out of who knows how many wins this year Ricky has gotten every possible one.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here

If anyone thinks Rick Porcello is winning a CY Young I think your nuts. He will implode in September. Smoke and mirrors and a good offense.

2014. 15-13. 3.43 era. Allowed 18 HR. FIP 3.67. WHIP 1.23
2016. 16-3. 3.30 era. Allowed 18 HR. FIP 3.70. WHIP 1.05

Point is he has improved WHIP but the record is simply an abberration as his 2014 numbers are not that far off statistically and he probably was about 40th in Cy Young if they went that deep. Meaning zero votes.

He won't get to 20 even with probably 8 starts left. 18-8!!!!!

As Verlander has been screwed out of who knows how many wins this year Ricky has gotten every possible one.

Not his fault Detroit doesn't give him the same run support in closer contests. Porcello's about to win #17 tonight with at least what, 8 more starts?

yisman

EOG Master

Porcello likely to get to 20 wins at this points (assuming he makes all the starts, of course).

miggytoddbest

EOG Dedicated

Agree he should get 20 with # of starts left. I am simply on the side he will not.

The easy side is of course he should. I just watched him pitch all his years in Detroit and he is bound to have a few wins taken from him by bullpen failure or lack of offense. Tough to go all year with everything going your way.

Wont be first time I would be wrong. But that's why it's gambling and I will be playing against Porcello rest of year. Tonight my best bet was over.Right side for wrong reasons.

Valuist

EOG Master

That walk-off inside the parker by Naquin combined with Fulmer's poor outing has tightened up the RoY race a bit.

Discreet Cat

EOG Dedicated

How about Duffy for Cy Young? Any chance?

A little light on Wins and K's due to his starting the year in the bullpen, but he's been about as good as anyone this year (and better than most during the second half).

dfish

EOG Addicted

Duffey w 10th straight decision. I think he's 2nd in era.

on Porcellos quest for 20 , next 2 scheduled vs TB , 5-1 as a Red Sox .
also he's started 13 after a loss ,team is 10-3 , Porcellos 8-1

Valuist

EOG Master

How about Duffy for Cy Young? Any chance?

A little light on Wins and K's due to his starting the year in the bullpen, but he's been about as good as anyone this year (and better than most during the second half).

Definitely has a chance. IMO, if a guy has a great season on a team that's not good, it shows how good his season was.

El Chapo

Banned

Fulmer's recent run has been crazy, consider this:

1) On July 6th he was 9-2

2) Since July 6th he has started 10 games.

3) His record in those 10 games is 1-4 (5 ND) - The Tigers are 6-4 in his starts (winning all 5 of his ND).

4) In the current 10-game stretch, the only game he has won was a CG Shutout (on August 14th).

5) Of the other 9 games (not including the SHO) 6 of the games were QS. Yet he as only one win in his last 10 starts.

6) He has 143.2 IP, and is still in line for the ERA title if he gets qualified. (He sits at 2.76, current leader (Tanaka 2.97))