Movie and TV show thread

Re: Movie and TV show thread

Just watched Moneyball again since I'm in a baseball mood. I thought overall it was a good film but the book is awesome.

How many here were betting on the A's during their 20 game winning streak?

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

Just watched Moneyball again since I'm in a baseball mood. I thought overall it was a good film but the book is awesome.

How many here were betting on the A's during their 20 game winning streak?

I did bet a few on the streak. One of my best friends got crushed fading it.

grana

EOG Senior Member

Finding myself not wanting to watch regular movies anymore after mainly following tv series only. Anyone else experiencing that effect?

Hangover

EOG Dedicated

Finding myself not wanting to watch regular movies anymore after mainly following tv series only. Anyone else experiencing that effect?

Yes. Have not gone to movies in several years because nothing interests me enuff to see it immediately. I feel a story cannot be properly told by being crammed into a 2.5-3 hour flick...instead most films are now created to have sequels by intentionally leaving large parts of each movies story untold. Nothing can compare to a good series binge..

grana

EOG Senior Member

Yes and that's if we're lucky. Many movies still in the 90-105 min range.Just gives me zero motivation to watch. Can't get invested without a real arc.

I enjoy documentaries and TV series more than movies. I think the Sopranos kind of changed TV drama series forever. Others saw the popularity and acclaim and started to spend a lot more to produce TV series with much better writers, actors and production value.

kane

EOG master

I enjoy documentaries and TV series more than movies. I think the Sopranos kind of changed TV drama series forever. Others saw the popularity and acclaim and started to spend a lot more to produce TV series with much better writers, actors and production value.

I'm the same, I love a well done documentary. I'm in the minority in that I never watched the Sopranos, but unless I'm mistaken I think Oz was the first series on cable, I'm going back a bit so I could be wrong

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

I went to see Autopsy of Jane Doe with very low expectation but thought it was one of the best horror movies I have seen in quite some time.

I'm the same, I love a well done documentary. I'm in the minority in that I never watched the Sopranos, but unless I'm mistaken I think Oz was the first series on cable, I'm going back a bit so I could be wrong

Right on Kane. If you or anyone else have any good documentaries to recommend it'd be much appreciated.

ttaylor89

EOG Dedicated

I went to see Autopsy of Jane Doe with very low expectation but thought it was one of the best horror movies I have seen in quite some time.

I enjoyed the first hour or so of that movie, but when the "horror" starts happening, blah, wasn't all that interested in it anymore. But agreed, first horror movie that kept my attention in a few years...Probably since the first conjuring.

an unknown show that I like is "peaky blinders"

"Meru" is a good documentary about mountain climbling. Not 100% sure how it goes for people that aren't interested in the outdoors.

Fawlty Towers was out of this world. Too bad they did so few episodes.
Yes Im not sure why they didnt make many but..2 of the cast who wrote the show were married,they divorced after series 1(but still did the second and final series) and I believe Cleese didnt want to over do a great thing.

Only fools & Horses is the best British sit-com of all time and they made a million episodes,and was still funny when it finished..but the fact Fawlty towers only has 12 episodes adds to its greatness I think.

Valuist

EOG Master

The Larry Sanders Show was on before Oz, and I don't think that was the first one.

scrimmage

What you contemplate you imitate

Binge watching is being encouraged:
So why is there such an emphasis on TV instead of film recently?

I think the heavy concentration for television comes from its effect for pacifying the population. Can films do this? Well, to some degree they can. But films start and end within a 3 hour period (max). Television shows are bountiful and episodic. Average adult viewers will watch over 5 hours of television per day in the US. Five hours of tv after a 9 hour day at work, a 1 hour total commute time, two hours for prepping for work and eating breakfast/dinner, and 7 hours of sleep. The average American spends almost every second of their free time on work days watching television. This has enormous implications on pacification of the masses.Not only does this mean people are, on the whole, less informed about social conditions and world politics (beyond what the corporate media discusses on TV), but it also has clear implications for social behavior in response to a major world event such as a war. It also implies that, despite the love society has for social media, people in the US are less socially integrated than ever.

Comment from:
http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2017/09/19/emmy-s19.html

Binge watching is being encouraged:

Makes sense-Thanks for the link. Most of us here in Phoenix pretty much hunker down during the months June-September so it's either getting out of town for vacations or binge watching on the boob tube.

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated

Anyone else see the HBO documentary series The Defiant Ones? I thought it was amazing.

Amazing and inspiring as all hell. Anytime you're lacking motivation watch episode 3 where Jimmy Iovine is talking about running out of tape after doing 370 takes of the same Springsteen song. 5 minutes later Dre is talking about working 5 years, no days off on 4 albums while being worth 30 million. I have watched every episode 3 times.. maybe the most brilliant documentary ever imo except the last episode gets a little braggadocious for me.
Then again they paid their dues to get there that's for sure.

Amazing and inspiring as all hell. Anytime you're lacking motivation watch episode 3 where Jimmy Iovine is talking about running out of tape after doing 370 takes of the same Springsteen song. 5 minutes later Dre is talking about working 5 years, no days off on 4 albums while being worth 30 million. I have watched every episode 3 times.. maybe the most brilliant documentary ever imo except the last episode gets a little braggadocious for me.
Then again they paid their dues to get there that's for sure.

I couldn't have said it any better Drink!

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated

If you were a Karate Kid fan, I highly recommend this series. I'm usually not a remake guy, but this captured my attention. It was done exceedingly well:

Valuist

EOG Master

The Americans on FX is as good as anything out right now. There's a Breaking Bad type feel, like when Hank didn't know who Walter really was, but slowly started piecing details together. A husband and wife who are Russian spies and their friend and neighbor who works for the FBI. They know about him, but he hasn't figured them out yet.

Valuist

EOG Master

the day after I moved their power rating down 1 pt. after the last show. An unreal show till that final one.

sad

A much better finale for the show was on season 7 of Curb Your Enthusiasm. Even Jason Alexander admitted the 1998 finale was disappointing.

MrTop

EOG Master

the minds of seinfeld and david at that time will go down in history of tv. What they noticed in everyday life thru those years was quite funny.

kane

EOG master

The Americans on FX is as good as anything out right now. There's a Breaking Bad type feel, like when Hank didn't know who Walter really was, but slowly started piecing details together. A husband and wife who are Russian spies and their friend and neighbor who works for the FBI. They know about him, but he hasn't figured them out yet.

Blasphemous!

kane

EOG master

It's not a movie or show, but Nat Geo is airing a series called "One Strange Rock", it's fucking fascinating, I highly recommend it

the day after I moved their power rating down 1 pt. after the last show. An unreal show till that final one.

sad

No doubt about it. Larry David really shit the bed to come back to write that final episode.

the minds of seinfeld and david at that time will go down in history of tv. What they noticed in everyday life thru those years was quite funny.

A year ago I read an interesting book titled Seinfeldia. David and Seinfeld used comedians with almost no writing experience to write the show and most of the stories were actual occurrences that had happened to the comedians. They hired on average of seven comedians each season and would fire almost all of them at the end of each season because the comedians usually had run out of fresh stories. David and Seinfeld didn't come up with many ideas for storylines, they spent most of their time deciding which storylines they liked and both of them figured out ways to collaborate the intertwining stories.