Mt Rushmore Of Golf...

Heim

EOG Master
Tiger fittingly named himself along with Snead, Jones and Nicklaus as the best ever, I had to research Snead...didn't know he won 82 PGA tour events, I guess he belongs over Palmer.

Heim

EOG Master
King Felix;n7457630 said:
You had to research that snead had the most wins in pga history?

Yes sir......my crack research team of one can't follow everything.

E$

EOG Dedicated
King Felix;n7457630 said:
You had to research that snead had the most wins in pga history?

Exactly, once you mention that, you probably shouldn’t comment on the “Mt Rushmore of Golf.”

Gabe

Horse racing expert
Looks like a rough night for Heim.

First he said it was Book's first start at ND, it's his 2nd.

People don't mention Pincay in the same breath as Day. (trust me that is laughable) :LMAO

Now Hogan over Snead and not knowing Snead had the most wins. But throwing a Mt. Rushmore out there?

I don't even follow golf and I knew that about Snead.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/media.giphy.com\/media\/fA7lhuFjXyYaA\/giphy.gif"}[/IMG2]

King Felix

EOG Veteran
Fair enough. Tiger has a real good chance of beating the record next year. Really no one but Nicklaus belongs anywhere near Tiger in golf history.

This love affair the media is having with Tiger is hilarious to me.

I would fade him this weekend if I could find a prop to bet against. He is something like +500 to shoot the best score on the US team, but can't find the -600 for him to not shoot the best score......

It looks like there are 6 players who have a higher ranking on his team, yet he is the co-favorite....

Bfo

EOG Addicted
Gabe;n7457635 said:
Looks like a rough night for Heim.

First he said it was Book's first start at ND, it's his 2nd.

People don't mention Pincay in the same breath as Day. (trust me that is laughable) :LMAO

Now Hogan over Snead and not knowing Snead had the most wins. But throwing a Mt. Rushmore out there?

I don't even follow golf and I knew that about Snead.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/media.giphy.com\/media\/fA7lhuFjXyYaA\/giphy.gif"}[/IMG2]

Not Book’s 2nd start actually, he started the North Carolina game last year as well

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Tiger and Jack are the main faces of Mount Rushmore of golf....then it becomes a horse race for the final two spots.....for me that is Bobby Jones and Arnold Palmer....

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Not a golf historian but it sure seems tough to keep Arnold Palmer out of the Top Four.

Fame counts for something, doesn't it?

I could be wrong.

Like Heim, I'm a research team of one.

Great line.

ChiTownJoe

EOG Dedicated
For me Mr.59 Al Geiberger is on it, since I caddied for him in the 1981 Western Open.

Missed the cut by bogeying his last 2 holes (8 & 9) and instead of making another couple hundred on the weekend, I ended up at Arlington Park blowing a couple of hundred.

I think Arturo has it right, Bobby Jones & Arnie.

On Tuesday Al hadn't shown up and the bag room said he was going to arrive for Pro-Am on Wed. I go to 1st tee (or maybe it was #10) and JACK is going to play a practice round. He asks his caddie (Western used local club caddies) how far to carry the fairway bunker....the kid didn't know, JACK shakes his head and looks ticked off

I had Billy Krazert in my group for the 2 days, on Thurs we tee off on #10. #11 was a par 3 and Krazert asks the kid how far to pin. Kid was reading the pin sheet for #2 and gives him a wrong yardage.

Local caddies were replaced with tour caddies a few yrs later.

Also, heard through the grapevine that Ray Floyd was a real prick to his caddy.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
ChiTown making me laugh about his comment about making a couple hundred more and then losing that couple hundred at Arlington....hahahaha

ComptrBob

EOG Master
ChiTownJoe;n7457687 said:
For me Mr.59 Al Geiberger is on it, since I caddied for him in the 1981 Western Open.

Quite a coincidence since I met Al at a Monterey, CA restaurant in early 1981, he was playing in the then Bing Crosby Pro-Am. Very friendly guy.

railbird

EOG Master
tiger terrible at LA Open his hometown- zero wins. losing Ryder cup record, and his off course stuff with driving on heroin and infidelity. He is honorable mention along with Tom Watson and Arnold Palmer

Gabe

Horse racing expert
I don't have a man crush on railbird, I have a man crush for money. Railbird is money.

But he's way off here, tiger top 2 dead or alive no question.

railbird

EOG Master
artie, lets make a La open bet. Ill give u 500 if he wins la open, u give me 500 if he misses the cut or fakes an injury to a DNP, anything else is a push.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
railbird;n7458029 said:
artie, lets make a La open bet. Ill give u 500 if he wins la open, u give me 500 if he misses the cut or fakes an injury to a DNP, anything else is a push.

Will give you the same bet on any player alive....guess you didn’t want any part of my wager offered to you in another thread...

ChiTownJoe

EOG Dedicated
ComptrBob;n7458011 said:
Quite a coincidence since I met Al at a Monterey, CA restaurant in early 1981, he was playing in the then Bing Crosby Pro-Am. Very friendly guy.

Bob, that's great that you got to meet him.

Super guy, very nice, a real class act. Doubt you would find anyone who had a bad thing to say about Mr. 59.

The next year my friend from our club caddied for Norman, he lost in a playoff to Watson, first place chk was around $37,500, so guessing Norman got around 20K. Gave my friend Nick 2k for the weeks work. A nice paycheck for a 17-18 yr old back in 1982.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
ChiTownJoe;n7458071 said:
Bob, that's great that you got to meet him.

Super guy, very nice, a real class act. Doubt you would find anyone who had a bad thing to say about Mr. 59.

The next year my friend from our club caddied for Norman, he lost in a playoff to Watson, first place chk was around $37,500, so guessing Norman got around 20K. Gave my friend Nick 2k for the weeks work. A nice paycheck for a 17-18 yr old back in 1982.

I caddied for Donna Caponi in a US OPEN in the early 70s.....she finished in the top 20 and only won 1700....that’s right 1700...talk about the difference in purses between the tours....she wrote me a check for 170 bucks...Atlantic City Country Club....

ChiTownJoe

EOG Dedicated
Viejo Dinosaur;n7458075 said:
I caddied for Donna Caponi in a US OPEN in the early 70s.....she finished in the top 20 and only won 1700....that’s right 1700...talk about the difference in purses between the tours....she wrote me a check for 170 bucks...Atlantic City Country Club....

How did you get the loop Artie? I would have requested Jan Stephenson.

Purses have exploded thanks to Tiger. The LPGA probably was playing for 1/5 of the men's purses.

I looked it up, the purse was better than I remember, Watson got 72k for winning and Norman about 42.5K for second and it was 3 yrs after I caddied in it.

railbird

EOG Master
Viejo Dinosaur;n7458075 said:

I scalped tickets to some lpga events with your boy Baskets, I remember working an LPGA event at Canyon Gate, I made 7th place money selling tickets to the event. Got a shoebox full of complimentary tickets from the janitor at the Cadilac dealer after it closed. We tipped the janitor 20 bucks

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
ChiTownJoe;n7458095 said:
How did you get the loop Artie? I would have requested Jan Stephenson.

Purses have exploded thanks to Tiger. The LPGA probably was playing for 1/5 of the men's purses.

I looked it up, the purse was better than I remember, Watson got 72k for winning and Norman about 42.5K for second and it was 3 yrs after I caddied in it.

The caddy master at Linwood Country Club where I worked got me the bag...Linwood was only a few miles down the road from Atlantic City Country Club...