My Buddy,"The Square," Picks Thread

pvcpipe

EOG Master
So I've got this friend. You know the type. Never bet with a book before, doesn't really follow college football other than the occasional Sportcenter. But nevertheless, considers himself a guru. Playing in his office 'pick 'em' last week, he went 7/8. Now he thinks he is a gambling god and funded his first offshore account as of yesterday.

I'm going to maintain this thread and track his picks for some good fades. My buddy is going to get his clock cleaned. Maybe some of you are thinking "Wow, you're some friend." But, hey, if I'm not afraid to bet against my own team, I'm sure as hell not afraid to fade my know-it-all buddy and make a few bucks. Don't judge me.

nydoc

EOG Dedicated
Re: My Buddy,"The Square," Picks Thread

looking forward to it. he should have a losing weekend

CHALKbreaker

EOG Dedicated

PVC:

Freaking AWESOME STUFF!

I ALWAYS maintain the best picks to "follow" are the know it all cappers, who you simply FADE. Many times when I don't feel like handicapping (which the way I do it, can often take well over an hour per game to do all my mathematical analysis) I simply call some friens and who know some TRUE KOD's (kisses of death). I remember last year, I just go my destination on business saturaday morning. I needed some games to play, and had no time to do any analysis. i called a good friend of mine. he said he'd call me back after he got the "Kiss of death consensus". He calls me back..Gives me 9 games that some of his buddies were all over. I fade ALL NINE...

How did I do??????

CHALKbreaker

EOG Dedicated
here's how I did:

here's how I did:

8-1:+flipping :flashing: :+firework

No Joke. Most of them were not even close. I think they were all favorites, and like 6 of them lost STRAIGHT UP!

Priceless handicapping!!

kelp0027

EOG Dedicated

for nfl; it has been termed bar room consensus: what team(s) are the fellers over a few beers saying are a gr8 bet: fade them suckers..>>62%...

gl

:p

CHALKbreaker

EOG Dedicated

AT LEAST 62% kelp.

Back in the day when I would always be hanging out at the local greyhound track, there was one loud mouth at the bar who was SO BAD, that I swear to God you could have won any contest around by fading his picks. I will never forget his college Bowl "HAMMER" plays.

UCLA (-9) over Wisconsin
Florida State (-7) over Tennessee

and his "biggest lock ever"

KANSAS STATE (-17) over Purdue
"They will DEMOLISH PURDUE" was the guys exact quote

The group I was with were all scrambling to jot down the picks (he was VERY LOUD at the bar shooting his moth off with these plays). We were immediately making phone calls to local books, calling off shores to load up, re-up our accounts, ext ext.

Not only did NONE of his hammer plays cover..they ALL lost STRAIGHT UP!!! NONE were really even close! That was the best year I had EVER had betting football. Purdue was the 1st of those games, and I put a dime on the +17 line, and another $200 on the moneyline that was around +1100!!! After I hit that I just rolled it into Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl. After that won, I just unloaded it ALL AGAIN onto Tenessee in the national championship game. It was a $10k+ run in about 4 days! All the guys I hung around with also made a ton! It was one of the most memorable thing in my gambling life, LOL.

kelp0027

EOG Dedicated

of course; just betting dd doggies in cfb bowls has been very profitable; wonder if that will change this year..??

lol

gr8 post chalk; i used to hang out at cheap harness racetrack; that's where ya learn real gambling systems

lol

gl

:D :+thumbs-2

alkimyst

EOG Senior Member

Man, this is PRICELESS! When do we get your boy's picks? If he was 7 for 8 last week, he's got to be about ready to start his own service in his mind!! I can't wait for the games. Fade City....coast to coast!!!

hendrixfan

EOG Member

When Florida State played Va Tech in the Sugar Bowl a few years ago, a homeless man came in and dumped a bag of change on the counter at a sports book in Carson City and asked how much he had to bet to win five dollars on Va Tech.
I took everything our of every pocket and dumped it all on Florida State. Still the biggest win I've ever had.
Now whenever something like this happens I say God sent me a simpleton.

pvcpipe

EOG Master

Here we go, guys. To be honest, I was hoping for more chalk. Here are his picks with HIS reasons:

Rutgers -3.5 "Dude, these guys are REALLY good this year. They're just not on the radar. Who is South Florida's mascot?" (not on the radar? really? top 25 ringing a bell?)

Auburn -14 "Here's a little stat for you. Auburn has covered EVERY game this year." (at this point i actually interject. i can't help myself)

"Dave, Auburn didn't cover last week against Buffalo."

"Yeah, but that line OPENED at 21. They would've covered that." (all i could do at this point was internally giggle like a schoolgirl, and count my money).

Mizzou -14.5 "Mizzou is WAY better than whoever they are playing this week"

Bama +13.5 "Alabama's defense is really good. I don't see them losing by more than 10 points to anyone in the SEC." (he may have a point here. i like florida, anyway).

Ohio State -7 "Is Iowa even ranked in the top 10?"

Michigan -10 "Did you see what those guys did to Notre Dame?"

GENTLEMEN GOOD LUCK AND GOOD FADING. IF HE HAS ANY ADDITIONAL PICKS, YOU CAN BE SURE TO FIND THEM RIGHT HERE!!!

Trace Fields

EOG Addicted

MY GUESSES 4-4 at best, 3-5 LIKELY

LOSE Rutgers -3.5 "Dude, these guys are REALLY good this year. They're just not on the radar. Who is South Florida's mascot?" (not on the radar? really? top 25 ringing a bell?)

LOSE Auburn -14 "Here's a little stat for you. Auburn has covered EVERY game this year." (at this point i actually interject. i can't help myself)

"Dave, Auburn didn't cover last week against Buffalo."

"Yeah, but that line OPENED at 21. They would've covered that." (all i could do at this point was internally giggle like a schoolgirl, and count my money).

LOSE Mizzou -14.5 "Mizzou is WAY better than whoever they are playing this week"

WIN Bama +13.5 "Alabama's defense is really good. I don't see them losing by more than 10 points to anyone in the SEC." (he may have a point here. i like florida, anyway).

LOSE Ohio State -7 "Is Iowa even ranked in the top 10?"

WIN Michigan -10 "Did you see what those guys did to Notre Dame?"

CHALKbreaker

EOG Dedicated

I vote this as one of the top 5 threads ALL YEAR!

PRICELESS STUFF PVC!!
Please keep this thread going all year as you get this "dudes" plays.
If I gave you the fade plays of the loud mouth at the bar that I wrote about above, you guys would have been in complete disbelief. I mean literally everything the guy uttered out of his mouth found a way to BOMB. It did not matter if it was a horse, a dog, a baseball/basketball/football game, boxing match. The guy was a genuine natural born looser. Literally put here by God to loose.

I just faded all the plays you posted...Put a nickel a piece on each. You don't even need to think about it, you just do it. I'll be shocked if he goes 3-3.

hendrixfan...Great story!!:cheers
I remember that game well. Your right on with all the public loving VA Tech (with Mike Vick) there. I remember everyone around here grabbing the points, saying it would be close, or that VA tech could win out right. It actually was, but OF COURSE, Florida State would score a couple late TD's to cover.

pags11

EOG Dedicated

not sure I agree with his logic, but I agree with his Rutgers and Missouri plays...

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">rutgers has played no one but i like them and trace

totally on opposite sides with you..Al will have to get lucky to stay within 21 of fl and aub should win by 21 over s car.
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

pvcpipe

EOG Master

He also likes

Kansas +21 "When's the last time Nebraska scored 21 points?" (um, every game except USC?)

CHALKbreaker

EOG Dedicated

1-0 to start!:+thumbs-2 :+thumbs-2

One nickel up for me...FIVE more to go!!...
Wait; SIX more to go with the Nebraska -21 addition!

pvcpipe

EOG Master

0-1

"Aww, sorry buddy! But, hey, you went 7/8 last week, things have to turn around for you!"

$$$$$$$$$$$$

pvcpipe

EOG Master

Going to give him a push on bama, as that game closed at 15, but wins on mizzou (iffy), kansas, ohio state, and michigan

YTD: 4-2-1

nydoc

EOG Dedicated

any plays for this week. after winning last week he will be an even better fade!

pvcpipe

EOG Master

absolutely. i will have them up later today, tonight at the latest.

pvcpipe

EOG Master

i just received this email from my friend. i swear to god i'm not making this up.

Per Your Request:

All of these are based on the spreads I obtained from BODOGS.COM.

FSU - 10.5 vs NC State

Purdue +11 vs Iowa

AR +15.5 vs Auburn

Texas A&M -2 vs Kansas

Vanderbilt -1.5 vs Ole Miss

Maryland +14 vs Georgia Tech

Cincinnati - 6.5 vs Akron

Duke +29.5 vs Alabama

South Carolina -7 vs Kentucky

My favorites are underlined, my secondary picks are italicized and my least favorite, but still probable are simply highlighted. My no-brainers are the Georgia Tech and FSU picks.

pvcpipe

EOG Master

i have to say, i'm impressed with his balance of dogs and faves. still, i know he does not one iota of research, can't tell you the name of one player on any of these teams (except auburn and alabama). he's even on vandy, which is upsetting, because that's one of my plays.

fsu seems pretty square, though.

jefff

EOG Senior Member

those are some very bizarre picks...DUKE? TAMU? MARYLAND?

what would possess a square to take those?

ellisanders

EOG Enthusiast

Okay i am going nowhere near any of those games. Does this guy know anything about football?

pvcpipe

EOG Master

ellis,

my last post was an email he sent me earlier. everything in the post after "i swear to god i'm not making this up" is the email.

CHALKbreaker

EOG Dedicated

Keep em coming PVC!

Lost a little fading him last week, but it was a good week for me overall in any event with my own plays.

LOVE NC state tonight, and even more now, after reading your thread!

pvcpipe

EOG Master

10/4
0-1 as a 10 point favorite loses outright!

YTD: 4-3-1

pvcpipe

EOG Master

Basically, my buddy juiced out this week, going 4-4-1. 4-3-1 on saturday.

YTD: 8-6-1

Will update later this week when I get his picks. I'm telling you, I feel a 2-6 week coming soon!!

pvcpipe

EOG Master

...And away we go. So far my friend has not provided quality fades, but i have a good feeling about this week. I met him for dinner tonite, and he brought along the lines he printed from wagerline. He put a star by his favorites:

Iowa -19 *
Wisconsin -8*
Purdue -7*
Duke +21.5
Nc State -3
Georgia -13.5
Maryland -3*
Texas Tech -7
Oregon -9
Fresno State +4

Good luck and Good fading. He is opposite several of my plays in my season tracker, so I'm feeling pretty good about that. Except, of course, that he's done better than me the past two weeks.

pvcpipe

EOG Master

here was my favorite bit of conversation tonite:

"Man, I wouldn't touch Ohio State/Michigan this week with a ten foot pole. That might be the best rivalry in college football." (Michigan State, Dave. Michigan State.)

pvcpipe

EOG Master

3-7

finally comes thru with some good fades!!

YTD: 11-13-1

The downward spiral has begun, men. Let's stay on this derailed train next week with some more quality losers.