NFL approves new kickoff rule

Dell Dude

EOG Master
I'm not even going to check. They've already eliminated kickoffs. There is nothing left to change except to get rid of them completely.

mr merlin

EOG Master
In one of the most significant rule changes in NFL history, league owners voted today to fundamentally change the kickoff.

In a vote at the annual league meeting, the NFL has adopted a low-impact kickoff, modeled on what has previously been used in the XFL, that the league believes will increase the number of returns while decreasing the number of injuries.

Fans will notice major changes immediately, starting with the first play of every game: Kickoffs will not look the same this year.

Under the new rule, 10 players on the kicking team and at least nine players on the receiving team will line up just five yards apart and won’t begin running until the ball gets back to the returner, meaning players won’t be going full speed when they crash into each other, which caused so many injuries on kickoffs in years past. Of the 22 players on the field, only the kicker and one or two kickoff returners will line up separately from those players who are five yards apart.

The kicker will kick the ball from his own 35-yard line. Ten of his teammates will line up on the other team’s 40-yard line. The receiving team’s nine or 10 blockers will line up on their own 35-yard line. The kick must land between the 20-yard line and the goal line. A kick that either goes out of bounds or lands short of the 20 will be awarded to the receiving team at the 40-yard line. A kick that goes into the end zone for a touchback will go out to the receiving team’s 30-yard line.

blueline

EOG Master
From a betting perspective...people much smarter than me have said the rule changes should lead to an uptick in scoring.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
So howid exactly do you try an onsides? They eliminated that two even though was a 1% success rate nothing anyway.

howid

EOG Dedicated
what an idiot league, having to announce an onside kick attempt ...

just put the convert back at the 2 yard line, and let the odd surprise fake and go for 2 pts be revived ...

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
This is a great move
We will see more returns now

Next change will be instead of an onside kick the offense will have to convert a fourth and 15 play from their 30.

Love the changes

Dell Dude

EOG Master
And the NFLe loves sheeple like you, Sporty. You are the same type who will accept the next plandemic because they mandate the jab but not the mask.

Thank you for protecting my freedoms, President Kamala!

kane

EOG master
The new kickoff rule is no big deal, it will lead to more returns unlike the way it's been when every kickoff sails through the end zone, And as far as the onsides kick, who cares that the kicking team will have to announce it, whenever there's an onsides the other team knows it's coming anyway, all it does is eliminate the surprise onsides kick, which occurs maybe twice a year, there are plenty of things about the league to complain about, I still don't know what a catch is, but this isn't one of them, people are bitching just to bitch

ComptrBob

EOG Master
In the new formation, hang time isn't important. I would guess most teams will have two returners to be able to move and cover more of the landing zone.

A good kickoff strategy will be to have a hard to handle, but soft, kick aimed to land at the around the 10-to-15-yard line. Limits the return, worse case goes thru the end zone and the ball comes out to the 30.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
I'm not going to reply to kane. Would be dupe. I will post my strategy if I am special needs ball coach. Either position into a zone with 5 or 6 farther back and if that is not allowed, go to zone after kick. This is set up like a blitz. Returner breaks the wall, he's going the Cake distance.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
People freaking out because the surprise onside is off the table.

How many did you see when they were allowed?

1?

In an entire season

Why is Dell dude afraid of more exciting football with more kick off returns for tds this coming season

I have a feeling dell puts on the Raiders Vikings game to jerk off
Oh man 6-3.....ooooohhhhhhh

Kamela had to overcome so much to get where she is now.

Black women need a role model

mr merlin

EOG Master
The new kickoff rule is no big deal, it will lead to more returns unlike the way it's been when every kickoff sails through the end zone, And as far as the onsides kick, who cares that the kicking team will have to announce it, whenever there's an onsides the other team knows it's coming anyway, all it does is eliminate the surprise onsides kick, which occurs maybe twice a year, there are plenty of things about the league to complain about, I still don't know what a catch is, but this isn't one of them, people are bitching just to bitch
I agree it'll be great to have no(or almost no) touchbacks.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Nobody is stomping their foot. Calmly pointing out this is a descending Slippery Pete slope that ends with power puff football. Every offseason, another rule change that goes in one direction always.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Nobody is stomping their foot. Calmly pointing out this is a descending Slippery Pete slope that ends with power puff football. Every offseason, another rule change that goes in one direction always.
Look at baseball, way better with the new pitch clock and other rules.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Pitch clock was a non factor for the playoffs. I don't know if they shut it off or ignored it. I agree that it seems to be working. But MLB has gone way farther than the pitch clock.

howid

EOG Dedicated
why stop with the kickoff, may as well implement George Carlin's sports improvement suggestions ...

Patkeats

EOG Enthusiast
If I was a coach I would be contacting Bill Belichek, it wouldn’t take him long to figure out how to take advantage of this new rule. He probably already has it figured out.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Fucking retarded. Sprint catch the ball and block one spot on the line. Touchdown. I hope someone does this to embarrass the league and force them to adjust.

kane

EOG master
Fucking retarded. Sprint catch the ball and block one spot on the line. Touchdown. I hope someone does this to embarrass the league and force them to adjust.
The league would rather have a kickoff returned for a TD every game than have every kickoff sail through the end zone, every rule change has always been designed for more scoring, this is just another one, the only change I would like to see is to allow the kicking team the right to keep a few players farther back up the field so if a runner breaks through the line at least there's a chance to prevent a TD, but anything the league can do to increase scoring they will

kane

EOG master
The smart teams will eventually figure out the optimal strategy on the new kickoff, like Patkeats said, a guy like the Hoodie would know the right way to handle it from day one, the dumb teams won't know how to handle it and will be the ones getting burned every week

Dell Dude

EOG Master
The smart teams will eventually figure out the optimal strategy on the new kickoff, like Patkeats said, a guy like the Hoodie would know the right way to handle it from day one, the dumb teams won't know how to handle it and will be the ones getting burned every week

I just posted it. Especially if you are right and the kicking team must line up on the line until the ball is LIVE. My strategy to go to a zone after wouldn't work against a sprint catch. If I can figure it out typing in my underwear, it is fucking retarded.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Fucking retarded asswipe assholes. This reduces the kicking team options to a kunt hair. The only thing I can think of is a line drive right over the helmets of the receiving teams. You really have to trust your kicker. Other 2 options no good. 40 yard line or possible sprinting catch.

The kicker will kick the ball from his own 35-yard line. Ten of his teammates will line up on the other team’s 40-yard line. The receiving team’s nine or 10 blockers will line up on their own 35-yard line. The kick must land between the 20-yard line and the goal line. A kick that either goes out of bounds or lands short of the 20 will be awarded to the receiving team at the 40-yard line. A kick that goes into the end zone for a touchback will go out to the receiving team’s 30-yard line.