NFL Playoffs Thread

blueline

EOG Master
after all of that had to come in the backdoor on 4th down to cover......feel badly for the Detroit contingent here

Heim

EOG Master
Let's face it, Purdy's legs were more valuable than his arm. Naturally, he gets to the line of gain quicker than his passes. 😁

Heim

EOG Master
Lol at Romo for asserting that's what the analytics suggest. Yep, when your next game is not the Super Bowl 😅

Crazy Pete

EOG Addicted
Well, it IS what the analytics suggest!
At the time he had to make the decision, it was the correct call. Both times. Absolutely.
That is how you judge the decision, not by superstitious, results oriented Monday morning quarterbacking.
Problem was with the receiver dropping a ball that hit his hands, then terrible on the field execution on the other one.
What WAS a VERY negative EV move, & this happens a lot, is the waste of a crucial time out, which they absolutely cannot afford to do on the fourth and goal from the three with 58 seconds left. That forced them to recover an onside kick, which nowadays Is about an eight to one long shot.
With three timeouts, they could’ve gotten the ball back with around 40 seconds to get into field goal range.
Just call a generic pass play and save that time out. It should be in everybody’s playbook, but it never is. It’s amazing how often that happens.

Purdy with a 17 point comeback, 13-16 passing 174 yds. 5/49 running 2nd half. Sensational 2nd half comeback. Imagine if Mahomes did that. Instead KC punted 6 times and scored 0 points in the second half while SF put up 27.

If analytics said go for it up 14 in that situation where they could have gone up 17, then analytics is wrong. There isn't just one set of analytics and the one they use isn't right.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Onsides kick had a chance at recovery if idiot Lion doesn't touch it. Looked to me like it was going to hit the ground and almost certainly not fielded cleanly by KC player. I was prepared for this with badbeat after badbeat after badbeat leading up to game including today Meddy up 2 sets and the Swifties. 49ers would represent 3rd straight consolation but quality trophy:

Rangers
Michigan
San Fag

At some point need fuck you trophy. Iowa k and Purdue would be 2.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
I (famously) renamed the Super Bowl the Super Show. Now it is the Swifties Show. I will not watch one second of coverage before kickoff. I can't take any more of that bullshit. 49ers are my team now.

Last edited:

mr merlin

EOG Master
If analytics said go for it up 14 in that situation where they could have gone up 17, then analytics is wrong. There isn't just one set of analytics and the one they use isn't right.
Correct, analytics reflects what the people who programmed the algorithym decided was the right thing to do, each matchup is different, every situation is different, there is no true right answer. Detroit cost themselves points and prob the game.

boston massacre

EOG Master
An MVP is about a full season; not one game. A non conference game at that.

That's Correct.

It Was a Close Race Thru The First 15 Weeks.

Lamar Bypassed Purdy in Week 16.

And That's Also How The Bookmakers Saw It.

Lamar Shot Up To a Big Favorite After That Game.

Outcomes Of Sporting Events Matter, in Addition To Full Season Results.

boston massacre

EOG Master
An MVP is about a full season; not one game. A non conference game at that.

Conference Game/ NoN Conference Game.

That Has Absolutely No Bearing on The MVP Voting.

The Result of The Game is Something Voters Would Take into Consideration , in Addition To All The Other Regular Season Games.

Valuist

EOG Master
Harbaugh has some explaining to do. Bad game plan and his team committed 4 personal fouls and 1 taunting penalty. Well coached teams don't do that. And no, this wasn't some conspiracy theory. The penalties were warranted.

Valuist

EOG Master
Conference Game/ NoN Conference Game.

That Has Absolutely No Bearing on The MVP Voting.

The Result of The Game is Something Voters Would Take into Consideration , in Addition To All The Other Regular Season Games.

No but in the mind of the public, the game was built up as more than what it was. It was viewed as the "be all, end all", and in reality, it was just another non conference game. And who's still alive now?

kane

EOG master
Harbaugh has some explaining to do. Bad game plan and his team committed 4 personal fouls and 1 taunting penalty. Well coached teams don't do that. And no, this wasn't some conspiracy theory. The penalties were warranted.
I thought the refs did a great job, they called a holding penalty on KC at the end of the first half I thought was bogus, and they missed a PI call on a KC DB late in the game, but other than that, the players decided the outcome, and as you mentioned, all 4 personal fouls were the correct call, both roughing the passer penalties were correct, the head butt by Van Noy and the taunting penalty, even the Flowers fumble at the goal line was an easy and obvious call, I'm sure none of it will stop some of the conspiracy kooks from conspiracy kooking, but the Ravens couldn't run it, Lamar missed several open receivers, and they made some uncharacteristic boneheaded penalties, heading into the playoffs the narrative regarding the Chiefs was that they never had to play any road playoff games, they always got the top teams at Arrowhead, well, after beating a broken, but still dangerous Miami team at home, they go on the road and beat the Bills and Ravens back to back, this was by far their toughest road to reach the SB, and they earned it and deserve to be where they are

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I thought the refs did a great job, they called a holding penalty on KC at the end of the first half I thought was bogus, and they missed a PI call on a KC DB late in the game, but other than that, the players decided the outcome, and as you mentioned, all 4 personal fouls were the correct call, both roughing the passer penalties were correct, the head butt by Van Noy and the taunting penalty, even the Flowers fumble at the goal line was an easy and obvious call, I'm sure none of it will stop some of the conspiracy kooks from conspiracy kooking, but the Ravens couldn't run it, Lamar missed several open receivers, and they made some uncharacteristic boneheaded penalties, heading into the playoffs the narrative regarding the Chiefs was that they never had to play any road playoff games, they always got the top teams at Arrowhead, well, after beating a broken, but still dangerous Miami team at home, they go on the road and beat the Bills and Ravens back to back, this was by far their toughest road to reach the SB, and they earned it and deserve to be where they are
Either one of the passes at the end to the TE were PI, but that’s not why they lost.

blueline

EOG Master
"I don't like competing against him at all," Jackson said to reporters before the AFC Championship game when being asked about Mahomes.

is this what you want to hear from your QB before the AFC title game?

boston massacre

EOG Master
No but in the mind of the public, the game was built up as more than what it was. It was viewed as the "be all, end all", and in reality, it was just another non conference game. And who's still alive now?

If Playoffs Were Part of MVP Voting, Bookmakers May Have Moved The Line Again , and Made Purdy The Favorite.

Same With Voters.

They Could Have Changed Their Vote After Seeing Yesterday's Results.

But Only Regular Season Matters , and it's About WHERE DO THINGS STAND NOW , When It Comes To Voting and Linemaking.

lap18

EOG Dedicated
All warranted.. a bunch of wild dumb thugs

lap18

EOG Dedicated
Well, it IS what the analytics suggest!
At the time he had to make the decision, it was the correct call. Both times. Absolutely.
That is how you judge the decision, not by superstitious, results oriented Monday morning quarterbacking.
Problem was with the receiver dropping a ball that hit his hands, then terrible on the field execution on the other one.
What WAS a VERY negative EV move, & this happens a lot, is the waste of a crucial time out, which they absolutely cannot afford to do on the fourth and goal from the three with 58 seconds left. That forced them to recover an onside kick, which nowadays Is about an eight to one long shot.
With three timeouts, they could’ve gotten the ball back with around 40 seconds to get into field goal range.
Just call a generic pass play and save that time out. It should be in everybody’s playbook, but it never is. It’s amazing how often that happens.
Fuck analytics... at some point common sense must come in to play...especially in a game of that magnitude. Its one thing to say it's a good call middle season...but this is a totally different situation.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Fuck analytics... at some point common sense must come in to play...especially in a game of that magnitude. Its one thing to say it's a good call middle season...but this is a totally different situation.
I could be wrong but I believe analytics is based on the historical performance of teams in various scenarios - for example teams going for it on 4th and 1 have a 72% chance of getting a 1st, etc. Those stats include all the games played with bad teams, teams out of it, teams playing the clock instead of the yardage, etc. In the playoffs you have the best teams involved - the odds aren't the same as they were in oct when miami played the giants or carolina.

Analytics is a useful tool, but you cant just follow it blindly.

Mahomes 7 straight playoff games 0 interceptions...did I hear that correctly?
When you don't take chances, you score 0 points in the second half of games. 0 points second half vs Bal and 0 points last 14 mins of game vs. Buf. He's become Alex Smith.

Mahomes no longer the leader in big time throws and big time games. He passed that on to Allen.

I could be wrong but I believe analytics is based on the historical performance of teams in various scenarios - for example teams going for it on 4th and 1 have a 72% chance of getting a 1st, etc. Those stats include all the games played with bad teams, teams out of it, teams playing the clock instead of the yardage, etc. In the playoffs you have the best teams involved - the odds aren't the same as they were in oct when miami played the giants or carolina.

Analytics is a useful tool, but you cant just follow it blindly.
Analytics doesn't give you the real feel of a game. Emotions are real, momentum is real. Analytcics doesn't know if a defense is tired or not. Analytics doesn't consider mid game injuries.