Nice job breaking par today, Tiger.

pvcpipe

EOG Master
You should feel good about it.

I mean, you played like garbage early, and needed an eagle on 18 to do it, but savor the flavor.

It is the Dubai Desert Classic after all. Everyone knows that course sets up hard.
12io4j2w90

munson15

I want winners...
Re: Nice job breaking par today, Tiger.

Sorry, but I think it would be funny if he was finished and his career stalled at 14 majors, 82 wins.

High Times

EOG Master

I know

I know

I'm racist

But

I really believe Tiger was doing something (drugs, steriods)

I mean how else do you all of a sudden can't play good anymore?

If he was a baseball player everyone would accuse him of being on steriods now that he can't win a thing.

Can't even come close! Wow!

munson15

I want winners...

Certainly he'll win again, but I just would enjoy the torture of seeing him fail year after year and then have the same media people that worshipped the ground he walked on try to explain it.

eberetta1

EOG Addicted

Yea, something has shaken him to the core. Plenty of guys, young ones too that would like to fill his shoes.

more comical will be the experts saying at the beginning of every year that "this is Tigers year because he's been practicing..blah blah blah"

pvcpipe

EOG Master

I know

I know

I'm racist

But

If he was a baseball player everyone would accuse him of being on steriods now that he can't win a thing.

I don't see how the lack of PEDs is making him spray his driver.

High Times

EOG Master

I don't see how the lack of PEDs is making him spray his driver.

It's all mental

He doesn't think he can do it anymore and obviously won't admit it to anyone, but the dude is having major problems and it's all mental.

WeinketoWarrick

EOG Master

'Roids wouldn't really help a golf swing. All about rhythm, not brute strength.

It's all in his head. He was great because he was supremely confident, and that's something you need in golf to play at such a high level for so long. The tallest trees fall hardest.

I will be betting on him to win The Masters though.

pvcpipe

EOG Master

9003 Tiger Woods Total Majors win in 2011
Sun 2/13 1:00AM (EST)

9003 None -155
9004 1 Major +145
9005 2 Majors +800
9006 3 Majors +2800
9007 4 Majors (Grand Slam) +9000

ArchieBunker

EOG Dedicated

I know

I know

I'm racist

But

It's obvious that you've never played golf at a high level.... on Tour it's all about confidence.... in yourself, in your swing, in your equipment.... and Tiger hasn't had that in quite awhile. There are a thousand golfers in this country that hit it good enough to win a PGA tourney... the problem is keeping everything together for four rounds under pressure. That's the tough part. Tiger has lost confidence in his swing when the pressure's on. Whether he'll get it back is a tough question. Personally, I think he will. But I wouldn't bet on him breaking Jack's record. He's 35 now and he's been doing this for a long time. He and Jack used to have one thing in common... when they teed off they thought everyone else was playing for second. Obviously that's not the case anymore for either of them. When Jack decided he couldn't win anymore he quit playing The Masters. Of course, he was in his 60's when that happened, not 35. If Tiger really wanted to fix his swing he'd go back to Harmon but I don't see that happening.

High Times

EOG Master

It's obvious that you've never played golf at a high level.... on Tour it's all about confidence.... in yourself, in your swing, in your equipment.... and Tiger hasn't had that in quite awhile. There are a thousand golfers in this country that hit it good enough to win a PGA tourney... the problem is keeping everything together for four rounds under pressure. That's the tough part. Tiger has lost confidence in his swing when the pressure's on. Whether he'll get it back is a tough question. Personally, I think he will. But I wouldn't bet on him breaking Jack's record. He's 35 now and he's been doing this for a long time. He and Jack used to have one thing in common... when they teed off they thought everyone else was playing for second. Obviously that's not the case anymore for either of them. When Jack decided he couldn't win anymore he quit playing The Masters. Of course, he was in his 60's when that happened, not 35. If Tiger really wanted to fix his swing he'd go back to Harmon but I don't see that happening.

But not doing steriods anymore could also be killing his confidence.

They made him feel unbeatable.

That's a complete guess and you shouldn't get all worked up because I made this wild guess.

Obviously nobody knows the real reason he has lost his edge.

High Times

EOG Master

And what is this bullshit

"Think like we do or you're an asshole"

Bunch of fucking babys

munson15

I want winners...

I like what Archie said, it makes a lot of sense, but HT has a point, too. Part of the edge gained from PED's is the mental side. A man can believe he's invincible when he's juicing and when he stops, he's got to feel depleted, physically and mentally. Not even saying Woods did PED's, what the hell do I know, but if he was, the mental side would be affected also by quitting them. Just my .02.

munson15

I want winners...

Nice round, he's had trouble closing the deal the last few tournaments he's been in contention. Interesting weekend ahead for Woods watchers.

BigDaddy

EOG Master

Nice round, he's had trouble closing the deal the last few tournaments he's been in contention. Interesting weekend ahead for Woods watchers.

it's no fun even watching golf anymore without him in contention.

i was not much of a golf watching fan but tiger made me watch

i miss those days

munson15

I want winners...

Sorry, Daddy, I love watching the new boys like Bubba Watson and Dustin Johnson. They hit it a mile like Woods used to, but don't take themselves too seriously. I enjoy watching golf on TV MORE when Woods is not in contention because I get to see other players. When he's up there, he sucks the air out of the telecast because the networks feel they must have the cameras on Woods all day. I know I'm in the minority, but that's how I feel.

100% agree Munson. I even record the coverage and rewatch it. Its that much better.

best thing that could of happened to golf in the long run.
good young players getting good coverage that they deserve.

WeinketoWarrick

EOG Master

Guys, I love the Tour and watch it whenever I can regardless of whether Tiger is playing or not, but the game is better off with him contending. Both in the short and long term.

There's really no arguing that with personal preferences aside.

ArchieBunker

EOG Dedicated

Guys, I love the Tour and watch it whenever I can regardless of whether Tiger is playing or not, but the game is better off with him contending. Both in the short and long term.

I do know it's a ratings driven sport and they've got a lot of renewals coming up... they NEED Tiger to get back to his old form and quickly. He's what drives viewers ratings... that's a proven fact. Without him the Tour will be hard pressed to keep their current contracts.

munson15

I want winners...

I understand that Woods is good business, Weinke. This observation is strictly a personal preference, you are right of course.

golf channel said ratings have been up this year with Tiger way in the back.
I think people are moving on from the drama that surrounds Tiger.
Maybe they have Tiger fatigue.
the networks are drunk on the guy even with him struggling.

cheapseats

EOG Master

dropped a little 62 on the field to close today at the honda.....might just be the rx for the comeback trial

newport2

EOG Dedicated

I have learned in life(60 years old) to judge no one! Look in the mirror. Tiger led the field in driving distance this week and was T-8 in accuracy. T3 GIR and 9th in putts GIR. His nerves on the greens look fine to me. That is the key to putting. Golf is about technique and timing. When you have that the mental part of the game is easy. We will see.

pvcpipe

EOG Master

Newport, I always say the best thing about the elderly is their perspective.

Arch, have you played at that level?

Only sport I played at a top level was Chess, where I got very close to master stregnth (ELO ~2150 at peak). Now don't laugh, but I'm talking about the competitive feeling "I can dominate these guys." I got it when I was training in Martial Arts and then used it in chess and achieved my best results.

I really think his wife beating the shit outta him in a public forum and knowing the Public really doesn't care much for him anymore (along with the PEDs, and I know something about that too). My mother, for instance, will not watch him on TV, whereas before, she would go out of her way to watch.

ArchieBunker

EOG Dedicated

Arch, have you played at that level?

Only sport I played at a top level was Chess, where I got very close to master stregnth (ELO ~2150 at peak). Now don't laugh, but I'm talking about the competitive feeling "I can dominate these guys." I got it when I was training in Martial Arts and then used it in chess and achieved my best results.

I really think his wife beating the shit outta him in a public forum and knowing the Public really doesn't care much for him anymore (along with the PEDs, and I know something about that too). My mother, for instance, will not watch him on TV, whereas before, she would go out of her way to watch.

At his level? No. At high level in golf? Yes. I carried a +2 handicap for over two years and my personal best is a 62 which broke one of Lee Trevino's course records. I have several close personal friends that have been on the PGA tour over the last two decades and I've seen their careers rise and fall. If you don't have confidence in yourself and your swing then you've got a problem. You can be hitting it great, have one or two bad shots under presure and it's back to square one. The 62 he shot Sunday is a good start back... but I doubt if he ever gets back to the level he playes at in 2000-2001. NO ONE ever played at a level like that before. The other thing he's got to fix is his putting... and that's both condidence and stroke.

At his level? No. At high level in golf? Yes. I carried a +2 handicap for over two years and my personal best is a 62 which broke one of Lee Trevino's course records. I have several close personal friends that have been on the PGA tour over the last two decades and I've seen their careers rise and fall. If you don't have confidence in yourself and your swing then you've got a problem. You can be hitting it great, have one or two bad shots under presure and it's back to square one. The 62 he shot Sunday is a good start back... but I doubt if he ever gets back to the level he playes at in 2000-2001. NO ONE ever played at a level like that before. The other thing he's got to fix is his putting... and that's both condidence and stroke.

Yeah, that's sounds like it's similar to my level in Chess. I took down several Master level guys when I was really feeling good about myself and my game, again when I was in great training shape in Taekwondo.

I've always thought Golf is similar to Chess because it's an individual game, played very much in your head, and when you lose confidence, the game drops off.

Frankly, for the game of Golf, I hope that Tiger gets back and then one of these young hotshots can take over. Actually, now that you mention it, we could really use another Lee Trevino, or Chi-Chi Rodriguez, or even better, Arnie Palmer. i.e. great game with great personality.