Official Postponed & Cancelled Sports Thread

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
If a player opts out from playing will his scholarship still be honored or will it be pulled the following year.

The scholarship is tied to the fact that the player plays that sport.

This could be a lawyer's wet dream. The player decides not to play and the school removes the scholarship. Bam. Lawsuit vs the school (deep pockets) and the NCAA (super deep pockets).

Time will tell.

pete mcmeat

EOG Senior Member
schools next

already saw a poll that 97% of teachers scared to go back

my friend works maintenance at lausd and he's been back for a month and still no teachers.....he doesnt even change out of his sandals....nothing to do but sit thyere for 8hr and go home.....youre right, teachers aint coming back

parents actually allowing their kids play college football in the middle of a deadly pandemic seems ridiculous

Those "kids" are adults and its not like college athletes are getting sick, let alone being at risk of dying so far. I'm sure the realistic athletes, the ones who know their future is getting a regular job with their college degree, will be wary and might sit out, but the athletes aren't going to be daunted by it.

Yep its getting ugly all around. Some of the schools playing hardball with the seat holders/donors as I expected. They really hope to collect program donations as if there was a season even though there probably won't be. And what does a "suspension" mean? Some thought about a winter or spring season, but draft prospects are not going to want that and there are too many inequities with some conferences able to do a season in mid-winter while others probably won't. Maybe they will host games at a neutral site or a dome.

kane

EOG master
Just saw where the upcoming Cards/Pirates series might get cancelled, someone explain to me how in the world St Louis will play a 60 game season

In all seriousness at some point you have to say the Cards need to call up guys from the taxi squad and get on the field or pull yourselves out of the league for the season. A set policy has to be followed and it has to minimize disruption to the season or else lead to canceling the season. Imagine if a team had this happen in September? No way games would get made up, MLB has to have a plan in place to deal with that.

kane

EOG master
The Marlins roster was decimated by the virus, they called up a whole bunch of guys I've never heard of, journeymen pitchers barely clinging to an MLB career, and they haven't lost a game since, they've been on the road since the season started and have rallied around each other

MrTop

EOG Master
marlins had a few good players before the season started... i have no idea if those pitchers are playing now.. but jeter has them on the right path . Makes harper of phillies payment not worth it... better off having 4 good players.

kane

EOG master
The Marlins have played 9 games, and every game has been started by a different pitcher, that's the first time in history that's happened

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
I agree with the above posts stating that these teams have to call up players.

We cant'get to a situation where a team has to play 9 games a week to get the full 60 in.

such a bad situation for a team that has some momentum to suddenly have to stop playing due to their opponent getting a couple of cases.

kane

EOG master
What I don't understand is if the Marlins did it, why hasn't St Louis, the Marlins had to replace half their damn roster, so why haven't the Cardinals done the same, there's literally no chance they'll play 60 games

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
What I don't understand is if the Marlins did it, why hasn't St Louis, the Marlins had to replace half their damn roster, so why haven't the Cardinals done the same, there's literally no chance they'll play 60 games
At a guess, it’s because cases continued to pop up as late as Friday. If are no new cases today, there is no reason they can’t play the Pitt series.

Valuist

EOG Master

And the Marlins were clearly expected to be a much worse team than St Louis. No excuse. Just looks like the Cardinals have raised the white flag.

kane

EOG master
According to various twitter accounts, the college football season is expected to be cancelled, terrible news