Pujols Released...

Heim

EOG Master
A little shocked. Release a HOF player in the last year of his contract?

Low class move by Halos. Sure Walsh is one of the best young prospects on first
but still...

mr merlin

EOG Master
I hear he mouthed off after being benched, obviously the angels are a better team without him, it's a sad way for a future hall of famer to go out.

Heim

EOG Master
Arte Moreno is a ruthless signage.

If they had a few saber guys in the front office they would have warned the Halos of his steady decline.

But during the Scoscia years, sabermetrics was a foreign concept.

And more importantly investigate his real age. It was a fleecing for sure.

The only saving grace was the big tv deal from Fox which followed the signing.

Last edited:

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
If they had a few saber guys in the front office they would have warned the Halos of his steady decline.

But during the Scoscia years, sabermetrics was a foreign concept.

And more importantly investigate his real age. It was a fleecing for sure.
It was a PR signing as much as his baseball ability. He was signed to take some of the Latin market from the Dodgers. That was why they came up with the goofy LAAofA name.

railbird

EOG Master

but still...
he should have been released 5 years ago, the angles should be liberated now that they are cancer free. Angels -1.5 +155 tonight

railbird

EOG Master

but still...
lets hope a White college player takes his spot. Angels offense has been stuck in the mud for 10 years, since puljos arrived

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
the Tigers are in the same boat w/ Miguel Cabrera, they don't know what to do with him. Guy is hitting .105

I said at the time of the signing it was a bad deal. As out of shape as he is to expect him to keep hitting like that for that many years down the line was a joke

Pujols deal has to be broken down 2 ways:

OFF the field: Brilliant. Paid for itself multiple times over in increased sponsors, marketing deals, team awareness and no way the Angels get a 20-year/$3B deal w/o Pujols
ON the field: A disaster. We knew it would only be 5-6 productive years

I could see a bottom feeder AL team picking him up to say he played for them and to hit HRs for them

Arte owns the team and when Arte has played GM the deals are awful: Pujols, Josh Hamilton, Gary Matthews, Jr - 3 brutal FA deals. And don't forget the Vernon Wells trade

Arte lowered beer prices when he first took over and because of that is seen as a great owner. He quickly raised them and he is an awful owner.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Signing Pujols doesn’t excuse the pathetic farm system they have had for 20 years, excluding Teout and the pitcher who was killed.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Signing Pujols doesn’t excuse the pathetic farm system they have had for 20 years, excluding Teout and the pitcher who was killed.

And players they expected to be superstars - were not: Dallas McPherson.....Casey Kotchman............Brandon Wood - at one point they could have traded Wood for players who had a lot of mileage left and were stars. All were busts.

I actually attended the last game of Adenhart's career/life. It was against the A's. Who knew..........??

Too funny I forgot he was still around until I went to bet a HR prop on Trout and saw Pujols listed. I had to look it up to confirm he was still playing, I thought last year was it.

I don't think it's bad class, it's always for the better. He's got the money already, why make him show up everyday and take a roster spot? If you dump a guy who could get another contract that's bad, but he's clearly going to be done once his agent calls up 29 other teams asking if there's any interest. Give it a week or two and he's officially retiring. Maybe he gets one of those one day deals with the Cardinals so he can retire with them.

Heim

EOG Master

Their scouting department leaves a lot to be desired. Jo Adell (CF) always a top 3 prospect in MLB is a bust. Can't
field and K's too much. They drafted a athlete, except this isn't football.

railbird

EOG Master
I said at the time of the signing it was a bad deal. As out of shape as he is to expect him to keep hitting like that for that many years down the line was a joke

Pujols deal has to be broken down 2 ways:

OFF the field: Brilliant. Paid for itself multiple times over in increased sponsors, marketing deals, team awareness and no way the Angels get a 20-year/$3B deal w/o Pujols
ON the field: A disaster. We knew it would only be 5-6 productive years

I could see a bottom feeder AL team picking him up to say he played for them and to hit HRs for them

Arte owns the team and when Arte has played GM the deals are awful: Pujols, Josh Hamilton, Gary Matthews, Jr - 3 brutal FA deals. And don't forget the Vernon Wells trade

Arte lowered beer prices when he first took over and because of that is seen as a great owner. He quickly raised them and he is an awful owner.
it was zero productive years. nobody goes to or watches angels because of puljos

Heim

EOG Master
"Using baseballreference.com’s WAR calculations for players with at least 1,500 plate appearances since 2017, Pujols was the least valuable player in the majors for the past five seasons. And yet he was paid more than $140 million during that time."

mr merlin

EOG Master
All this Pujols sucks talk aside, who signs him?
No one, as a DH he puts up below avg production - hitting 200 isn't hard. If he played all year he might have hit 15 HR's - big deal.

He could be a pinch hitter but again he's no longer a good contact hitter.

So the only reason to sign him would be charity.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
All this Pujols sucks talk aside, who signs him?

PERFECT fit: Rockies. Except they play in the NL so that is out

I think we can all agree he has to be a DH.

And if he couldn't make it on a P.O.S. irrelevant team like the Angels NO WAY a contending team would sign him. That means we can forget him signing with:

Oakland
Houston
Boston
Yankees
Tampa
Cleveland
Minnesota (I know they suck now but they might/could get better)
White Sox (Save me the part about he played for LaRussa - that was then - this is now)

Now let's look at who is left:

Tiggers (They have Cabrera - no need for 2 old and unproductive bats)
Orioles (They have Chris Davis - they don't need a 2nd one)
Seattle (Jerry DiPoto was GM in Anaheim when Pujols was there so maybe - not gonna happen)
Rangers (I could see this - playing in a dome stadium - at times - and has the chance to come back to Anaheim)

I'm gonna go with:

Royals...............Right now they are a playoff team. That won't last. We know it. Royals can't draw fans. Since Cards won't sign him, Royals allows him to come back to Missouri, where he is still beloved, and more importantly put BiS (Butts in Seats). Those fans would love to come see Pujols play in the area and if done soon enough allows Pujols to make one last trip back to play at the Cards.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
john.....how many times does vd have to taught railbird with death before he gets a warning.....i'd rather listen to bigrubber run on calling everyone a nazi then listen to someone 'daily' pretty much wish death on posters

With your head so far up Railbird’s ass, I could get a 2 for 1....

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Albert Pujols is the only player in MLB history with 3,000 hits, 600 homers and more than one World Series titles.

Rockfish

EOG Addicted
White Sox are the leading candidate.

Would be a good move by the White Sox. Pujols could help LaRussa manage the team. I am sure Pujols know the rules when the game goes into extra innings.
Could give each other tips on how to keep their prostate healthy since they are both around the same age.