Saratoga 2019

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Settling in to watch the race replays now.

Thanks for sharing, BP2.

I can tell from the crumpled nature of your ticket that things did not end well.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Short field, big price.

Sky of Hook defeats four rivals at odds of 9/1 in the $100,000 Rick Violette Stakes.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Another five-horse field in the third race.

Fully Vested, the 1/2 favorite, offered little resistance when second choice Pete's Play Call rushed past inside the eighth pole.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Handle today must be depressed by the weather conditions and late scratches.

#8 Sicarii wins the fourth race on the sloppy track at odds of 14/1, the biggest price in the race.

That price doesn't help the churn.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Ardara Belle wins the sixth race at odds of 7/1.

Matzo Bella finished a distant fourth at odds of 2/5.

Curious ride by Joel Rosario who kept the heavy favorite on the inside of the wet track while other jocks raced on the favorable outside.

There were pools of water clearly spotted near the rail in the homestretch.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Off The Record came up the wet inside to win the seventh race.

Track announcer Larry Collmus with a good line, "Off The Record who paddles on from the rail..."

Off The Record paid $6.60 to win.

Is there a better jock than Jose Ortiz Jr?

I didn't think so.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Collmus' opening line in the eighth race: Break Curfew comes out running strongly and speeds out to the early lead.

His last line: It's Slimey in the slop!

Slimey paid $32.40 to win.

Three of the day's first seven races were won by the biggest price in the field.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
What a tough loss for BP2 in today's ninth race.

At the head of the stretch, it looked like #2 Carrera Cat was gone.

#1 Special Relativity nailed CC in deep stretch.

The final margin was only a half-length.

Ugh.

Good try, BP2.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
And, of course, BP2's other single romps by six lengths in the nitecap.

Violent Point won at odds of even-money.

A time of 1:05.02 for five-and-a-furlongs.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Six of today's nine races presented fields of six or fewer horses.

Equibase reported an all-sources handle of $8.2 million.

I assume Saratoga's loss will be Del Mar's gain.

BenoitPaire2

EOG Veteran
Six of today's nine races presented fields of six or fewer horses.

Equibase reported an all-sources handle of $8.2 million.

I assume Saratoga's loss will be Del Mar's gain.

6 races of 6 or fewer horses and the two pick 5s paid $11k and $9k. Plenty of money to be made in horse racing. I know I’m close to a big score... just gotta be patient and keep it up.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
6 races of 6 or fewer horses and the two pick 5s paid $11k and $9k. Plenty of money to be made in horse racing. I know I’m close to a big score... just gotta be patient and keep it up.

Agree wholeheartedly.

It's tough to stomach when you come close but it's also a very good sign.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Jockey Rajiv Maragh was free-wheeling on the lead with Carrera Cat.

No problem with the ride because I like when jockeys "go for it" but it's tough to take when they get beat in the final strides after employing that strategy.

BenoitPaire2

EOG Veteran
If the track is fast or good tomorrow and not sloppy, I like the 6 singled in the first. Very even race...5 of the 6 horses between 5/2 and 4/1, but After You should get a head start being the speed of the race. Went :22 and :45 last time out, and ran away with it for 6 furlongs. No one else has shown that they can go that fast other than a random race. Also, I like how horses coming from Santa Anita have looked so far.. as long as he doesn’t go too fast and controls the pace, he should be able to put away the field

BenoitPaire2

EOG Veteran
Jockey Rajiv Maragh was free-wheeling on the lead with Carrera Cat.

No problem with the ride because I like when jockeys "go for it" but it's tough to take when they get beat in the final strides after employing that strategy.

I’ve noticed Rajiv has been pretty bad on the lead lately. I thought Carrera Cat could overcome it, especially since she loved the mud. But I was wrong. She didn’t have to go AS fast as she did

BenoitPaire2

EOG Veteran
And you think your combo was worth $4,000?

Probably a little more.

In the exotics, the daily double was paying $88 to the 2 and $140 to the 1.

But in the pick 3, the 1 was paying $275, whereas the 2 was actually paying more at $400.

If you look at the exactas, the 1 was paying about 25%-40% more than the 2.

I think I might have been looking at 5k-6k... the $32 and $17 horses were very tough to find, and despite the 3/1 win price, she was likely the 3rd or 4th pick on average in the pick 5s.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
No winners in the Pick 6 on Wednesday,

With those longshots winning, you weren't too far away from being a solo winner.

I know, I know.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda...

Last edited:

blueline

EOG Master
Ardara Belle wins the sixth race at odds of 7/1.

Matzo Bella finished a distant fourth at odds of 2/5.

Curious ride by Joel Rosario who kept the heavy favorite on the inside of the wet track while other jocks raced on the favorable outside.

There were pools of water clearly spotted near the rail in the homestretch.

the races off the grass had me take a look at Saratoga.... had to make a bet on a horse who would grab the lead and to make a bet against a 2/5 with no speed going that short

blueline

EOG Master
Collmus' opening line in the eighth race: Break Curfew comes out running strongly and speeds out to the early lead.

His last line: It's Slimey in the slop!

Slimey paid $32.40 to win.

Three of the day's first seven races were won by the biggest price in the field.

will be kicking myself for days.....3rd overall number in the race....big FR2 edge and the only other horse with a FR3 even close was the horse who ran third....I sit on my hands at 15/1 in a short field

michael777

EOG Dedicated
Saratoga has cancelled races for this Saturday because of the heat,more destruction of the country from liberals,they are making sissys out of most people in this country,congrats Winky,you are winning

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Saratoga has cancelled races for this Saturday because of the heat,more destruction of the country from liberals,they are making sissys out of most people in this country,congrats Winky,you are winning

Snap out of it, MICHAEL777.

Not every story has a political slant.

BenoitPaire2

EOG Veteran
Went 4 out of 5 in the early pick 5 today for the 6th straight day at Saratoga.

Hit my single (9), went 3 deep in the 4th (2,3,7), 2,3,5,6 in the 3rd and alll in the first. The only race I missed was the 2nd when I had 5,6,7 and none of them finished in the top 3.

Paid $4500

Close again

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated
Saturday’s card is cancelled due to excessive heat which is anticipated. Most of those races will be run on Sunday - if it cools down.

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry
Monmouth will run today so max security in Haskell but might move later races to evening I heard. its terrible heat index in that part of country today.