Shohei to the other LA??

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Ohtani just turned 29, how many years of double-dipping will you get, 3 more years? Some team will pay for 8-10 years though.

Figure he will get a 10-year $550M-ish contract. Or more.

NO WAY IN HELL I WANT TO OFFER THAT TO HIM!

As you said - he pitches 3-4 more years and then hits the rest. Now ay I want to pay him over $50M for the end of his contract although by the time his contract is over $50M won't be so outrageous - or as outrageous as it is now.

mr merlin

EOG Master
If i was Ohtani i would ask for $60 million/yr for 3 years(he could get that easy), in 3 years he can get a bigger contract(or close with inflation) even if he stops pitching.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Ohtani just turned 29, how many years of double-dipping will you get, 3 more years? Some team will pay for 8-10 years though.
It's hard to say, he does both right now because he likes it, he plays almost every day because he wants to.

MLB is full of stars that dont seem to mind sitting, he's not that guy, pitchers tend to get better as they gain experience, barring an injury he can keep doing both forever, DHing isn't
hard.

Remember when pitchers batted in the NL, how many of those clowns would barely run if by some miracle they got on, would sprint for the dugout to put their jacket back on after they're doubled up? I'm thinking losers like strasburg.

Ohtani has like 12 stolen bases, he doesn't have to ever steal a base, NO ONE would give it a second thought, he likes to play ball and wants to play ball.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Look at how many games Ohtani plays, this year he's played 90 of 92 so far, that boy likes to play baseball - old school.

1689476972468.png

mr merlin

EOG Master
Why did he go 9? Was he pitching a no hitter late?
He had a 1 hitter going I guess, he's a real player, pitched and batted in game 1 and then batted in gm 2 - hitting 2 hr's, no one would have faulted him for taking game 2 off.

Obviously he likes to play ball and asks not to sit.

Fairly common for big stars to only play one game of a double header, most could prob play if they wanted to but are content to sit.

Heim

EOG Master
If there was any indication that the Halos have no chance to sign him they would have dumped him before the trading deadline. The organization
is a little dysfunctional but they're not brain dead. The fact they're in a playoff drive has little to do with it. They're still the favorite to sign him and
I think Trout would re-work his deal to keep him if it comes down to that.

mr merlin

EOG Master
So if he has surgery immediately after the season he cant bat next season, is that it?

I understand he cant pitch for about a yr but why couldn't he hit next season after approx 6 months rest?

mr merlin

EOG Master
So far today Ohtani has a triple a double and a walk - on the walk he stole second and then stole third. How many guys in MLB would just shut it down after a torn ligament with your team effectively out of the playoffs?

Chi_Archie

EOG Veteran
So if he has surgery immediately after the season he cant bat next season, is that it?

I understand he cant pitch for about a yr but why couldn't he hit next season after approx 6 months rest?
couple things at play. typically we don't even let a position player pick up and slowly swing a bat until day 135-160 of rehab, and figure on close to 10-12 months until full game speed batting.

if shohei, if he wants to pitch he would need to focus on that specific deacceletation rehab stuff first at the 6-8 month mark and making inroads to recovery with actual DHing/batting practice would compromise.

considering he's already gone from a ligament to tendon graft and will now need to find a tendon from a 2nd less ideal spot
I think he needs to just pick Batting as his only position going forward, but to try and get a bigger payday, he will go through motions of trying to come back as a two way player