Somebody Please Help Me Figure This Out...

If the U.S. General in Afghanistan says we need 40,000 more men...

Why would the president only give him 30,000 and send them over there incrementially?

I was in the Army and my thinking would be this, send 50,000 troops and deploy them right away. If the president is worried about casualties, he's going to get a lot more of them by sending too few men slowly rather than by sending too many rapidly.

WTF is this guy thinking? :+clueless

tank

EOG Dedicated
Re: Somebody Please Help Me Figure This Out...

I think it all has to do with the cost of it?Maybe he is waiting for someone to try and talk him out of it?Maybe he is waiting for someone like Micheal Moore to write a letter to try and sway the public?...oh never mind.

I agree with the concept that Hoffa has articulated. I wonder if our Army is just stretched too thin, and 50K just aren't available????

the glue

EOG Veteran

WE ARE FUCKING BROKE.NO FUCKING MONEY....Thing that can't go on forever DON'T...:doh1

I certainly don't have the answer...

Last time I saw The Glue I was telling him that there's no way Obama would be elected... :doh1

mr merlin

EOG Master

He's doing it because he's trying to play both sides of the fence Jimmy. He wont give the generals everyone they want so he can say to the left "see, I'm not rubber stamping their requests", while at the same time acting like he's tough(LOL).
It's the same with his ridiculous statements that we'll start pulling out in a couple years - if this is so damn important that we are going to have 100,000 troops there with deaths likely to be another couple thousand(many thousand injured), then how can he say in a couple years "time to pull out". What if the taliban are still just as strong, or stronger?

Does anyone think our enemies will be impressed by this half hearted effort?

My own belief is that we shouldnt have anyone over there if we arent going to let them do what it takes to prevail - and that will unfortunately not always be pretty. I have heard that many times our soldiers have been in firefights and have asked for assistance(airstrikes, artillary) and we wont do it because we might hurt some civilians. If we really think that some dumb, illiterate afghan civilians (who are aiding the taliban anyway) are more valuable than our own soldiers , then we have zero chance to ever win.

the glue

EOG Veteran

When they where fighting Russia they where freedom fighters. Now they are terrorist...:doh1wake up pal....2938u4ji23

Guess who was the first to advocate for a 'surge' in Afghanistan?

And guess who looked straight into the camera and in true George H.W. Bush "read my lips, no new taxes" form, assured America that a 'surge' in Afghanistan would never work and a totally wrongheaded policy (the very strategy currently being implemented, albeit on a limited scale)?

Watch the clip:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ICH77bufCe0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ICH77bufCe0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Face it, folks, the United States is currently a ship without a rudder heading straight into an iceberg!

:med3d-lentilless:

God save our troops!