This just in: Afghanistan is corrupt.

Hope your not or have not sent money to Afghanistan..
But..but arent we the tax payers sending billions over there for the war and humanitarian aid already? Maybe its time to rethink that..

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37966029/ns/world_news-washington_post/

by Greg Miller and Ernesto Londo?o

Top officials in President Hamid Karzai's government have repeatedly derailed corruption investigations of politically connected Afghans, according to U.S. officials who have provided Afghanistan's authorities with wiretapping technology and other assistance in efforts to crack down on endemic graft.
In recent months, the U.S. officials said, Afghan prosecutors and investigators have been ordered to cross names off case files, prevent senior officials from being placed under arrest and disregard evidence against executives of a major financial firm suspected of helping the nation's elite move millions of dollars overseas.
As a result, U.S. advisers sent to Kabul by the Justice Department, the FBI and the Drug Enforcement Administration have come to see Afghanistan's corruption problem in increasingly stark terms.
"Above a certain level, people are being very well protected," said a senior U.S. official involved in the investigations.
Karzai spokesman Waheed Omar denied investigations had been derailed. "There is no case, no instance, in which the palace or anyone from the palace has interfered with a case," he said.
Afghanistan is awash in international aid and regarded as one of the most corrupt countries in the world. Indeed, even as the United States and its allies pour money in, U.S. officials estimate that as much as $1 billion a year is flowing out as part of a massive cash exodus. The money, as first reported in The Washington Post in February, is often carried out in full view of customs officials at Kabul's airport, where such transfers are legal as long as they are declared. Officials suspect much of the cash is going to the Persian Gulf emirate of Dubai, where elite Afghans, including Karzai's older brother, have villas.

For the Obama administration, the ability of Afghan investigators to crack down on corruption is crucial. If American voters see Karzai's government as hopelessly corrupt, public support for the war could plunge. Corruption also fuels the Taliban insurgency and complicates efforts to persuade ordinary Afghans to side with leaders in Kabul.

Afghanistan's attorney general, Mohammed Ishaq Aloko, was seen as a potential ally against corruption when he took the job two years ago. Some investigations have ended in convictions. But U.S. officials said that Aloko, a native of Kandahar province who studied law in Germany, has repeatedly impeded prosecutions of suspects with political ties.
In meetings with U.S. Justice Department officials, Aloko has seemed almost apologetic and acknowledged coming under pressure from Karzai as well as members of parliament, officials said. On one occasion, according to a U.S. official, Aloko told his American counterparts, "I'm doing this because that is what the president tells me I have to do."

Re: This just in: Afghanistan is corrupt.

Seems like we are making Karzai's older brother a multi millionnaire.

Enough is enough with this.

Does anyone think that when we do finally pull out,that part of the world will not revert back to the exact way it was before this war started? So lives lost and billions spent for what? We are making corrupt people mega rich thats all thats being accomplished it appears.

Im sorry but if I had a son,no way in hell would he be over there fighting for this cause.They wont ever ever ever get bin Laden.They will find Santa Claus before they get Osama.

This is worse than vietnam in many ways.

scrimmage

What you contemplate you imitate

Hope your not or have not sent money to Afghanistan..
But..but arent we the tax payers sending billions over there for the war and humanitarian aid already? Maybe its time to rethink that..

U.S.: Afghan officials derail corruption cases - World news - Washington Post - msnbc.com

QUOTE]
The war in Afghanistan's going to continue and new sources to pay for it will have to be found.
The "bad cop" John Boehner [R-OH]puts up the trial balloon of Social Security cuts,and an increase in retirement age to 70, to fund U.S. military adventures,providing the "good cops" cover with which to enact some of the proposals in the spirit of bi-partisanship.

[SIZE=+1]Boehner Puts Democrats on the Spot [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+2]Cut Social Security to Fund the War? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]By DEAN BAKER[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]July 2 2010 [/SIZE]
In a remarkable interview with the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, House Republican Leader John Boehner explicitly called for cutting Social Security in order to pay for the war in Afghanistan. The article reports:
"Ensuring there's enough money to pay for the war will require reforming the country's entitlement system, Boehner said. He said he'd favor increasing the Social Security retirement age to 70 for people who have at least 20 years until retirement, tying cost-of-living increases to the consumer price index rather than wage inflation and limiting payments to those who need them."
In principle Boehner gave the Democrats as much ammunition as a serious political party could want. After all raising the retirement age and cutting Social Security benefits to pay for the war in Afghanistan is an idea that consistently polls in the high single decimals. We should expect every Democratic politician in the country to be jumping up and down demanding to know whether the Republican leader speaks for all Republicans.

That would be the case, unless of course the Democrats actually hold similar views. After all, several prominent Democrats have been saying in public recently that we will have to cut Social Security benefits (benefits workers have already paid for). These prominent Democrats also support the war in Afghanistan.

So, they may not use the same words as Mr. Boehner, but it seems that many Democrats may effectively agree that we have to cut Social Security to pay for the war in Afghanistan. It would be nice if they would insist that this is not true.

[SIZE=-1]Dean Baker is the co-director of the Center for Economic and Policy Research (CEPR). He is the author of Plunder and Blunder: The Rise and Fall of the Bubble Economy [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]and False Profits: Recoverying From the Bubble Economy. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]From:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Dean Baker: Cut Social Security to Fund the War?[/SIZE]

FUCKING BULLSHIT

2348ji23e2348ji23e2348ji23e2348ji23e2348ji23e2348ji23e2348ji23e2348ji23e2348ji23e2348ji23e2348ji23e2348ji23e2348ji23e2348ji23e2348ji23e2348ji23e2348ji23e2348ji23e2348ji23e

make americans work till 70 to fund a war that will make ZERO difference when all is said and done.

Im getting fed up with this shit.

I can already see the day when they say there is no SS.
So we have to work forever because you know the cost of living will skyrocket in the next 30 years.

And this isnt a Democratic thing either. If Bush was still in there we would be doing the exact thing.That dude LOVED war.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

This is no doubt Bush's fault. Going into Afghanistan to get Bin Laden and overthrow their terrorist regime is one thing. But then the moron goes into Iraq and pulls troops out of Afghanistan to focus on Iraq? LOL!

The biggest idiot ever. And now Obama is getting blamed for all the mess Bush left behind. Hysterical.

I dont care if the cookie monster is at fault.
I dont want hard working americans to have to work at least till 70,
You know it wont stop there,it will go to 73..75..
After hearing that tons of money(US money) is being funnelled out of that country,
And now we hear they want to cut SS and make us work till were 70 to pay for it?
To pay for Karzai's family becoming multi millionaire's?
I dont think so.
Im glad I dont have kids.
No way in hell would I want them to grow up in this shithole.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

I'm moving. Probably to Afghanistan.

Bruce- show me a chart of Afghanistan. What's going on there? Am I safe?