Traffic stop in Beatty reveals $750,000 stash

JC

EOG Veteran
Re: Traffic stop in Beatty reveals $750,000 stash

Thank you, JC....I feel like I have just cured cancer, although that would not be nearly as remarkable as getting you to admit the police handled this situation flawlessly.
To answer your question, C, if the rightful owner of the truck can explain why and how the money legitimately ended up in the truck. In lieu of that one in a billion case occurring, then A.

If the owner of the truck shows up, why should he have to explain anything other than proof of ownership of the truck?

Why is the burden of proof on him to show the money is "legitimate" as opposed to the burden being on them to show a crime has been committed? If the owner shows up, what gives them the right to keep the money if he has nothing to say to them?

Sure they can turn the fact over to the IRS, but I don't think that would be right. But even if they did, all he has to do is declare it this year as gambling winnings or whatever and pay taxes on it.

If nobody shows up to claim it, I think it should all go back to the US Treasury. Why should these clowns get any more of it than any other government agency? they were just doing their job, right? That's what they get paid for.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

If the owner of the truck shows up, why should he have to explain anything other than proof of ownership of the truck?

Why is the burden of proof on him to show the money is "legitimate" as opposed to the burden being on them to show a crime has been committed? If the owner shows up, what gives them the right to keep the money if he has nothing to say to them?

Sure they can turn the fact over to the IRS, but I don't think that would be right. But even if they did, all he has to do is declare it this year as gambling winnings or whatever and pay taxes on it.

If nobody shows up to claim it, I think it should all go back to the US Treasury. Why should these clowns get any more of it than any other government agency? they were just doing their job, right? That's what they get paid for.

Why should the owner of the truck have to show proof of ownership of the truck? You're really making it difficult on car thieves, JC! I think we should get rid of all vehicle registration; while we're at it, we don't need door locks or ignition keys, just have a starter button. That will work real well.

Then let's announce to criminals all over the world that cash will be considered to be ownen by whomever possesses it. We'll get rid of all money laundering laws while we're at it. This is going to be a great society! Thanks JC and we owe it all to you and your wisdom!

The Prophet

EOG Dedicated

I think it should all go back to the US Treasury.

ANYTHING BUT PUTTING BACK WHERE IT WAS FOUND WOULD BE THE CRIME.

KimLee

EOG Member

Why is the burden of proof on him to show the money is "legitimate"?

Sure they can turn the fact over to the IRS, but I don't think that would be right.

If nobody shows up to claim it, I think it should all go back to the US Treasury.

I agree with your sentiments. There are dangers to rewarding police for seizures. The worst case involved California police looking for high value targets and suspecting a man of cultivating marijuana based on aircraft surveillance. They invaded his home and killed him.

I guess either the woman was an ignorant mule, or that she knew the money could connect her to crime. If the woman denied the money was hers then the police need to hold it for the rightful owner.

The IRS is the US Treasury. The money should probably go to the state, not the local municipality nor the Federal Government.

Why wouldn't it be right to inform the IRS? The arrest, seizure, and reclamation of cash are public record. Suppose the IRS finds this owner of the cash also owns ten parking lots and claims no income? Possession of cash in not (yet) a crime, but I think our public servants might exercise a little more scrutiny in this case. It's better than a random audit.

JC

EOG Veteran

Why should the owner of the truck have to show proof of ownership of the truck? You're really making it difficult on car thieves, JC! I think we should get rid of all vehicle registration; while we're at it, we don't need door locks or ignition keys, just have a starter button. That will work real well.

Then let's announce to criminals all over the world that cash will be considered to be ownen by whomever possesses it. We'll get rid of all money laundering laws while we're at it. This is going to be a great society! Thanks JC and we owe it all to you and your wisdom!

Would you read it again. I said why should they have to show anything OTHER than ownership of the truck.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

Would you read it again. I said why should they have to show anything OTHER than ownership of the truck.

DUH....I don't have to read it again....I know what you posted. You agree that they should have to show proof of ownership for the truck, so why shouldn't they have to show proof of ownership of the cash?

Just as an aside and definitely off topic; I don't think that anyone will be showing up to request the money back. I'd be willing to bet that this shipment was only a fraction of the cash being moved--assuming momentarily that the money was the product of illicit activity--and that this portion won't be missed very much. $750 K is nothing compared to a federal conspiracy to distribute stretch measured in decades. . . .

JC

EOG Veteran

DUH....I don't have to read it again....I know what you posted. You agree that they should have to show proof of ownership for the truck, so why shouldn't they have to show proof of ownership of the cash?

I say you need to read it again because of your previous post where you start with, "Why should they have to show ownership of the truck?" and went on to say I am making it easier for car thieves.

The cash belongs to whoever owns the truck, that's where it was found, unless they want to explicitly deny ownership of the cash. Once the rightful owner of the truck is established, he should get back his truck and everything that was in it unless they can show it was proceeds of a crime.

Wise Guy

EOG Addicted

This is a good thread. Information for those who had no idea they are at risk when they gamble with lots of cash.

Unfortunately, people in the drug trade use cash, so the government has taken the attitude that lots of cash indicates drug activity.
But, my bookies do not take credit cards, so I also must carry lots of cash.

RECOMMENDATION REGARDING TRAFFIC CITATIONS?

WHENEVER PRACTICAL, ALWAYS CHALLENGE YOUR TRAFFIC CITATIONS?

THEORY; IF EVERYONE CHALLENGED THEIR TRAFFIC CITATIONS, THERE?D BE FAR FEWER ISSUED. THERE'S OTHER REASONS I WON'T GO INTO...BUT...

NOTE: CASES ARE DISMISSED WHEN COP(S) DON?T SHOW FOR TRIAL?KEEPING IN MIND, MANY HAVE TO TRAVEL DISTANCES TO THE COUNTY COURT HOUSE?

TIP: CHECK THE COP?S WORK SCHEDULE AND HAVE YOUR TRIAL SCHEDULE ON HIS/THEIR DAY-OFF?COPS? DON?T LIKE GOING TO TRIAL ON THEIR DAYS-OFF AND MORE TIMES THAN NOT THEY WON?T SHOW AT TRIAL FOR MINOR TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS.

How do you find out a cop's schedule ?

The Prophet

EOG Dedicated

How do you find out a cop's schedule ?

INDIRECTLY :cocktail

THE JUSTICE SYSTEM IS A COUNTRY-CLUB…

MEMBERS PLAY ON THE SAME COURSE AND KNOW EACH OTHER’S TEE-TIMES.

sean1

EOG Dedicated

If you ever get pulled over and the cop starts asking questions, call your voicemail and let him know this conversation is being recorded. My cop friends tell more often than not, that is the end of the questions

Wise Guy

EOG Addicted

. . . I'm sure I speak for the entire forum when I thank the inimitably misnamed poster, "Wise Guy", for going back 17 years to find an example of the Govt making a mistake.

I just want to know why Mr. Texas Fan disappeared from this thread when we were just getting started !?
I stick around to take my medicine when you guys are beating on me.

I think we've had a good discussion and I've learned a lot.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

I say you need to read it again because of your previous post where you start with, "Why should they have to show ownership of the truck?" and went on to say I am making it easier for car thieves.

The cash belongs to whoever owns the truck, that's where it was found, unless they want to explicitly deny ownership of the cash. Once the rightful owner of the truck is established, he should get back his truck and everything that was in it unless they can show it was proceeds of a crime.

I was being sarcastic...and you're being evasive and naive. As much as I want to say you're an idiot, you definitely are not...you're an intelligent person and you know exactly what this is all about. It's about criminal activity and allowing our police to catch criminals. You want all the rights to go to the criminals and I can only hope that you get your wish some day and are victimized by criminals...O, that's right, you're already one of them. That explains why you want them to have all the rights.
I'll say it again, I am proud and grateful that we have so many law enforcement officers who diligently do their jobs and protect us from criminal activity! They make mistakes at times, like any other human being, and when they do they should be punished just like anyone else. But in this case they handled the situation perfectly and they should be commended and we should be grateful.

KimLee

EOG Member

The cash belongs to whoever owns the truck.

Suppose I own land, and a house on that land.
I own the bedroom in the house, and the closet in the bedroom.
I own the locked safe in the closet, and the wallet in that safe.
But the cash in the wallet could belong to anyone!

Under Jay's logic accused criminals would be allowed to keep the cash in their wallets unless police can prove it doesn't belong to them. A law-abiding citizen who is never falsely suspected of anything and carries a receipt for all cash and possessions has nothing to fear except corrupt police.

Everyone should simply give their money and possessions to the police and voluntarily enter jail. Those who can prove they are not criminals should be released, and their possessions should be returned as the police deem appropriate.

I wonder if Maria, driving down the street that day, ever knew she would be such a cause celebre for every first semester law school wannabee poster on EOG?

"You want all the rights to go to the criminals and I can only hope that you get your wish some day and are victimized by criminals...O, that's right, you're already one of them."

You really need a time-out buddy.

texansfan

EOG Master

And you are one? Amazingly you vanished from this thread. Don't tell me about forfeiture laws, I have a very bad memory in that arena. You have already lost before the game begins.

Who shot off their mouth in this thread?

Best wishes...OF :+clueless

I had logged off OF. I have been in law enforcement for over 16 years now. It always amazes me how people take this one incident and all of a sudden relate it to all incidents that ever took place in regards to confiscating money.

texansfan

EOG Master

Bottom line, quite a few of you get your experience from being arrested. Funny how those arrested are never guilty or never really tell the whole story.

texansfan

EOG Master

FOLLOWING A FINAL AFTERNOON SHIFT THREE OTHER WORK MATES AND I WENT TO HAVE A COUPLE DRINKS BEFORE THE ESTABLISHMENTS CLOSED AND WE RETIRED FOR THE EVENING?

ON THE WAY HOME STATE PULLS MY BUDDY DRIVING OVER CLAIMING HE WAS WEAVING?

I WAS IN THE FRONT PASSENGER-SEAT AND ADVISED THE OFFICER THAT THE THREE OTHER WITNESSES IN OUR VEHICLE DID NOT OBSERVE THE ?WEAVING? HE CLAIMED AND THAT WE JUST GOT OFF WORK AND WERE HEADING HOME...

HIS REPLY?

??HAVE A SAFE EVENING GENTLEMEN,? LETTING US CONTINUE HOME.

Seriously, this is one of the dumbest things I have ever read.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

I had logged off OF. I have been in law enforcement for over 16 years now. It always amazes me how people take this one incident and all of a sudden relate it to all incidents that ever took place in regards to confiscating money.

I never would have guessed. What are your career stats on illegal search and seizure? You ever hit the lotto? Are you a Ranger? Swat? A Narc? Ever waste anybody in the line of duty? What kind of gun do you carry? 9mm? Do you ever say to a suspect, do you feel lucky punk, before you shoot them? Cavity search? Are you a meter maid? Traffic cop? Hall monitor? Crossing guard? Do you have any friends that are not law enforcement? Awesome, good for you, job security for life.

Best Wishes...OF :+clueless

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

I have been in law enforcement for over 16 years now. It always amazes me how people take this one incident and all of a sudden relate it to all incidents that ever took place in regards to confiscating money.

texasfan,
Like I said in an earlier post...
"I'll say it again, I am proud and grateful that we have so many law enforcement officers who diligently do their jobs and protect us from criminal activity! They make mistakes at times, like any other human being, and when they do they should be punished just like anyone else. But in this case they handled the situation perfectly and they should be commended and we should be grateful."
...Thank you for your service to our country!

ps. to mason: GFY<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

texansfan

EOG Master

You're a smart guy OF. I was asked my experience so I answered. Take it for what you will. I really don't get into thread wars as they really are a waste of time. I'm happy with my job and I gave my input to the original thread topic.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

You're a smart guy OF. I was asked my experience so I answered. Take it for what you will. I really don't get into thread wars as they really are a waste of time. I'm happy with my job and I gave my input to the original thread topic.

My dad was a captain in the fire department, a better man than I will ever be. My best friend's dad was a CHP. They are the everyday heroes in our society, putting thier lives on the line every shift. Plus, my 11 years on 3rd shift I hung out in the cops place, it never got robbed, not once, a Lyon's, like a Denny's. I showed them the respect they deserved. You did not take my bait, good for you.

Best wishes...OF :cheers

texansfan

EOG Master

Been on many fire scenes and that's one job I wouldn't want. Of course this is stating the obvious, but those fires are hot! Usually the police are stationed around the trucks to prevent cars from driving over the hoses but you can feel that heat from a very far distance. Takes a special kind of person to run into a burning building.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

Captains are first in, he saved many lives just doing his job. I was always proud of him. He even volunteered to help handicapped kids on his off time. A lot of times they are first on scene, ahead of ambulence and cops. A truly thankless job. He was a good man. The cops and the firefighters were my heroes growing up. He did his duty, never complained, never called in sick, and worked the engines in the ghettoes most of his career. Eight to ten calls a day, mostly at night, no sleep. I don't know how he did it. Best part was, he was a good captain and his guys loved him. Some of the stories still stick with me today. All of his friends, firefighters. Well blowing my rep here.

Best Wishes...OF :cheers

texansfan

EOG Master

Nothing wrong with being proud of your dad OF. He sounds like a good man who worked hard in life. Plenty of kids today that would benefit from having a father like your's to grow up with and to be influenced by.

sean1

EOG Dedicated

I have always wondered why the government does not do away with cash.

I mean seriously, there really is no reason for cash except criminal enterprise.

I'm against the government keeping tabs on everyone, but given their goals it is stunning cash still exists.

Sean

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

It is just a matter of time before we do become a cashless society. Then we will all be chipped with a ssn gps. You already see the bulk of transactions being shifted away from cash, and low level criminals being tracked with anklets. It might be called the Final Patriot Act.

Best Wishes...OF :(

They said no more cash 20 years ago, and metric system 30+ years ago.

I think its still aways off.

Gold could always substitute for cash in criminal deals. Not much harder to move than currency.

Wise Guy

EOG Addicted

It is just a matter of time before we do become a cashless society. Then we will all be chipped with a ssn gps. . . :(

Maybe. But there are gambling interests in many states that depend upon free flowing cash, especially from foreign visitors. Not sure if Harrahs, MGM, etc. wants those visitors (who hate to be tracked) to go to Macau.

The Prophet

EOG Dedicated

EDITORIAL: It's now illegal to carry cash?

Nye County cops hit the jackpot

Is no one else concerned that it's apparently now routine that police, finding an otherwise peaceable motorist in possession of a large sum of cash, simply take it?

Last Tuesday afternoon, Nye County Sheriff's Deputy Dan Pineau, while conducting a "drug patrol" on U.S. Highway 95 in Beatty, stopped a pickup truck for speeding and failing to stop at a stop sign. (For those who haven't passed through the charming little speed trap with the estimable chicken soup, 115 miles north of Las Vegas, the rapid lowering of speed limits as you enter Beatty makes it no great challenge for a deputy to catch someone failing to reduce speed quickly enough.)

Although no narcotics were found, a dog "hit" on the vehicle, which courts have held provides sufficient cause to rip the thing apart. Deputies found more than $750,000 in cash in the hidden compartments in the truck.

So they let the driver go, keeping the truck and the cash.

Let's not pretend to be naive. The fact that driver said she didn't know the money was there and had no idea who it belonged to doesn't make it too much of a stretch to conclude the woman -- knowingly or not -- was being used as a "mule" to transport illicit drug proceeds. That makes it a "good bust," as police count such things -- and the largest cash seizure in Nye County history, according to Sheriff Tony DeMeo, surpassing a similar $676,000 haul during a 2002 traffic stop in Tonopah.

It's enough to make an honest prospector give up his pan, his pick, and his mule!

Deputy Pineau did his job effectively. No one was hurt, and no one need lose any sleep over the financial loss to some unnamed drug kingpin.

Nor are Nye County deputies the only ones "getting lucky." Last year, police in Boulder City seized more than $500,000 stashed in the spare tire of a vehicle passing through the community.

Three observations may be in order:

1) If the drug dealers can write off these kinds of losses as mere incidental costs of doing business, the "War on Drugs" is lost.

2) While it's nice for local taxpayers to get this kind of budgetary relief in funding local police agencies, there is a risk in growing accustomed to such "windfalls." The risk is that so long as the money flows in, fewer and fewer questions may be asked.

3) What happens the next time a law-abiding citizen -- especially if he or she has an Hispanic name -- gets pulled over and says, "Yes, as it happens I've got $50,000 cash in the car. It's mine -- I earned it and saved it and I'm taking it to California to invest in a small business" or "to buy my son a classic Corvette for his wedding present" or "to bid at a collectors' coin auction"?

The money will be seized, won't it? The citizen (or his money, technically) will be presumed guilty, and the owner will be required to spend almost that sum on lawyers trying to get his cash back, won't he?

It didn't used to be illegal to travel around America carrying cash. Police seizing any large sums of cash they spotted used to be a phenomenon only of the corrupt Third World.
:+textinb3

Is no one else concerned?

NoFreedomLeft wrote on April 07, 2008 09:17 AM:
Although no narcotics were found, a dog "hit" on the vehicle, which courts have held provides sufficient cause to rip the thing apart. Hey Deputy Dan your dog just 'hit' on another dog...you better get over there quick and see what he has up his....rip it up!!!

Nye County Justice wrote on April 07, 2008 09:01 AM:
Some of the cops in Nye County are rednecks who have little if any respect for the law they're supposed to be enforcing. Like sweating televangelists who spend their Sunday collections on escorts, they're worse than the sinners they're railing against.

FastTracker wrote on April 07, 2008 08:51 AM:
Hey, why don't we just do away with that pesky Article 5 within the Bill of Rights. You know, the one containing the phrase that no person shall “. . . be deprived of life, liberty or property, without due process of law;”

It's already been effectively 'lawyered out' anyway. And while we're at it, why don't we just junk the entire Constitution? All that garbage about Liberty, Writs of Habeas Corpus and such is just SOOOO inconvenient.

Something more in line with the Napoleonic Code works much better in these 'modern', more 'enlightened' times.

b wrote on April 07, 2008 08:44 AM:
There are laws in this country that say if you don`t have any money on you,you can be arrested!
Yea, like that one Wanda, What if they found a vehicle full of unpaid tickets and normal debt related to drug use. "Nope, their not mine officer"

WandaR wrote on April 07, 2008 08:29 AM:
No mention of the fifth compartment with more 'justmoney'....how much was in there Reno 911?? Did they also find the compartment full of debt and unpaid bills? Where's the debt sniffing dogs??

timinator wrote on April 07, 2008 08:26 AM:
Isn't the mere presence of Federal Reserve notes proof that a crime (counterfeiting) has been committed?

free country? wrote on April 07, 2008 08:20 AM:
It's obvious that something is not right here. If the woman says that the money is not hers, then I'm assuming shes doing something illegal. Otherwise, if that's my money, sure hell I'm going to fight for it. However, cops around here are known to rough up people or worst shoot to kill like that Henderson ice cream woman vendor. So, she did the right thing by cooperating.

As far as carrying large amount of cash, its ludicrous that your going to get arrested for it. This is Vegas after all.

Tom wrote on April 07, 2008 08:00 AM:
What really angers the government is that the "illegal" drug dealers don't pay taxes like the legal drug dealers such as Bristol Meyers, Annheiser Busch, Merck, Philip Morris, etc. Anyone who thinks the government is trying to protect people from drugs is totally clueless. The "war on drugs" (with its abuse of our personal rights) is also a P.R. tool by which the government justifies its existence.

burden of proof wrote on April 07, 2008 07:51 AM:
The burden of proof lies on the accuser.

Oh' except for the cops who are probably taking a nice personal cut out of the find.

The money should have in plain view of anyone, surely no one in Nevada would attempt to steal it. (scarcasim)

Just because money is hidden does not mean it is drug money or illegal gotten. Even if a drug dog hits no drugs no crime. The dog cannot be questioned thereby making his hit an assumption.

I often carry thousands of dollars while traveling for various legal reasons. I suppose if I get stopped by the cops they will steal my money also.

Nevada being corrupt, suspects that everyone is also corrupt.

Last edited:

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

Reasons the gubment will give for discontinuing cash.

Costs more to make than what it is worth, see coins.

Costs even more for disposable paper currency, which has an very short life span.

Too much counterfeiting.

Aids and is the working capital of criminal enterprises.

Is prone to theft and is not trackable.

The real reasons they will do it.

Can get grubby hands on under the table nontaxable revenue.

Can glom onto every transaction, start paying off massive debt.

Can be the only criminals left.

Last time I checked casinos, they are almost cashless already, see vouchers. No more coins needed, really no more cash. This is inevitable, just a matter of time. All of the laws are heading that direction. The gubment is about control, they will control the money travels, they already have the banks reporting everything involving cash.

Best Wishes...OF :cheers

dirty

EOG Master

He never posts links. Only time he did was after I gave him shit over it one time...he did for a couple then stopped again. ... sometimes the articles are a couple of years old.... Not the case in this one.... but has happened....

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

He never posts links. Only time he did was after I gave him shit over it one time...he did for a couple then stopped again. ... sometimes the articles are a couple of years old.... Not the case in this one.... but has happened....

Aha...that was part of why I asked, since it's just proper etiquette to post the name of the paper where the editorial comes from. In this case it was real easy to find out since it was from the Las Vegas Review Journal today.

Gambler

EOG Addicted

People can carry guns but you cant fukking have your own fukking money with you and drive!

stupid!