Vick on TO

dirty

EOG Master
Vick: I can play with T.O., but . . .
Falcons QB says Eagles receiver needs to understand who's boss

By STEVE WYCHE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 11/09/05 FLOWERY BRANCH ? Falcons quarterback Michael Vick said he could play with exiled Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Terrell Owens ? but Owens would have to make some sacrifices.
"I could play with anybody," Vick said, responding to questions about Owens Wednesday. "It's all if they could play with me. He would have to understand my style of play and what I do and if he can do that, he can be here. Other than that, this is my team.
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=175 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><!-- BEGIN Clickability "Most Popular" links --> MOST POPULAR STORIES

<!-- END Clickability "Most Popular" links --></TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width=170 bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width=170 bgColor=#cccccc><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=10 width=168 bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=148>[FONT=arial, helvetica]EMAIL THIS[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]PRINT THIS[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]MOST POPULAR[/FONT]
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD width=5> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext-->"I run the ball a little bit more than other quarterbacks. It would take away from some of his catches. You've got to be a team player when you come here."
Falcons president and general manager Rich McKay and coach Jim Mora, who along with some members of his coaching staff coached Owens in San Francisco, have declined comment since he is still under contract with the Eagles. Falcons owner Arthur Blank and McKay have said in the past that they do not want any disruptive players on the team.
Offensive coordinator Greg Knapp, a victim of a televised sideline shout-down by Owens when both were with the 49ers, said in an interview earlier this year that he could coach Owens again.
Vick did not sound like he would fully endorse the Falcons' pursuing Owens.
"I don't know. It would help but I feel like we've got all the right pieces here to be successful and to win football games," Vick said. "I don't know where this Terrell Owens talk is coming from but I'm focused on what we've got in place right now."
The Eagles said they would deactivate Owens once a four-game suspension instated last week expires, in effect ending his season. The players union has filed a grievance to force the Eagles to reduce the suspension and release Owens, making him a free agent.
Owens' repeated criticism of the Eagles franchise and quarterback Donovan McNabb and other disruptive behaviors were too much for one of the NFL's top teams to tolerate. The turmoil he created with the 49ers and Eagles, where he freely took verbal shots at quarterback Jeff Garcia and McNabb, respectively, would be a concern should the Falcons consider signing Owens, an Atlanta-area resident, Vick said.
"We all understand it takes 11 players to win a football game," Vick said. "Everybody has to do their job and if you do that you've got a greater chance of winning. We don't have any selfish guys on the team, starting with me. We just want to do whatever it takes to win games. Sometimes being selfish is not a bad thing. Some guys want the ball, they feel like they can make a difference and there's nothing wrong in that. I don't see any wrong in that at all."
Owens (47 catches, 763 yards, six touchdowns this season), one of the top wide receivers in the NFL - caught seven passes for 112 yards against the Falcons in Atlanta's 14-10 season-opening victory. He would be an upgrade in talent at the position.
However, the Falcons have invested first-round picks in the past two drafts on wide receivers Michael Jenkins and Roddy White and project them to be the starting tandem, possibly as soon as next season. The Falcons are a run-oriented team, leading the NFL in rushing offense. Tight end Alge Crumpler (33 catches, 440 yards, two touchdowns) is Vick's favorite target.