Why call a timeout to decide if you should challenge?

Crazy Pete

EOG Addicted
It's idiotic. It's a waste of a timeout.
The penalty for a failed challenge is... a timeout!!! So if you call a timeout, & decide not to challenge to avoid the penalty for a timeout, you already self-imposed that very penalty on yourself.

Basic Strategy is: just challenge. If challenge is successful, you lost zero timeouts. If it fails, you lose one timeout.
if you call timeout, the BEST case scenario is losing one timeout, which is the WORST case scenario if you just challenge.

MrTop

EOG Master
Re: Why call a timeout to decide if you should challenge?

still get 3 per half ? what about OT do you get any?

sorry I did not watch the game

just asking

unluckysob

EOG Dedicated

Pete...I wondered about that also. Panthers played DUMB all game. Still had a chance to win.

railbird

EOG Master

Rivera has brain damage from concussion as a linebacker, he is slow decision maker

railbird

EOG Master

also an arm folder, show me a coach who has his arms folded on the sideline, that is a choker and losing pose.

railbird

EOG Master

players look over and see that and they get uptight too

Valuist

EOG Master

My pet peeve is when QBs panic and waste a timeout. I've seen teams in 3rd and 20....clock runs down. Panic timeout. 3rd and 20 to 3rd and 25.....doesn't matter. If it's 3rd and 1 to 3rd and 6, that's big. But a lot of the time, just give up the 5 yards and preserve the timeout.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here

That's why personnel up in the booth and on the sidelines should look at instant replay and decide if it is worth challenging. Red flag should just go out without calling the timeout because the clock would stop automatically anyway.

Bigrunner

EOG Master

Seemed like Cam and the offense were constantly up against the play clock. They seemed very passive calling the next play and getting to the line of scrimmage. They need to work on being more up tempo.