Why hockey is the best sport

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Re: Why hockey is the best sport

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprint_Center

Turns out it's only 10 years old, and it seats over 17,000 for hockey. Given its age I'm sure it meets current luxury box requirements. I thought the Sprint Center and the old Kemper Arena were one and the same, with Sprint simply purchasing naming rights. I was wrong.

The article linked is interesting. Apparently KC has made a run at numerous NHL franchises over the years including the Preds and Penguins.

That's a pretty large facility to just be sitting there with no professional team or major D-1 school for a tenant...

........and it is a perfect fit for the NHL. KC goes into the Central and now all 4 Div have 8. But I doubt KC wants the NHL

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

I don't remember why the Scouts left, or if KC even wants a team. The city that would be perfect (but won't happen in a million years) is Milwaukee.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

I don't remember why the Scouts left, or if KC even wants a team. The city that would be perfect (but won't happen in a million years) is Milwaukee.

Bingo. They can't support MLB/NBA so how would they support 40+ more nights. Milwaukee is like most of WI - Packer Backers - especially the 3 home games at Lambeau every year that are Milwaukee "home games"

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

Bingo. They can't support MLB/NBA so how would they support 40+ more nights. Milwaukee is like most of WI - Packer Backers - especially the 3 home games at Lambeau every year that are Milwaukee "home games"

If there was a sport that could come in and make it in KC, it would be hockey. The hard cap evens the playing field greatly. I have no idea what the corporate support is there, that's a huge deal obviously.

Bushay

NHL Expert
Re: why hockey is best sport

The NHL desperately wants Seattle but Seattle doesn't want the NHL. NHL would love to have a team there and create a new market and have a rivalry with Vancouver. Seattle would go into the Pacific which would make 9 while Central had 7 - so it would be interesting to see how they would make 8/8.

Locks to stay in Pacific would be: LA/SJ/Ana/Vegas/Seat/Vanc...........AZ/Cal/Edm are the Wild Cards. Could see AZ moved to Central - kicking and screaming because they would lose out on the CA/NV rivalry...............Could also see Cal/Edm moved to Central and CO into Pacific
I don't believe that is an accurate description of the situation. YOU may think that and the average fans believe that is the perfect scenario, but Bettman is running the league much like....if we don't get Seattle, no big deal, we just move along to plan B. He's not desperate to get Seattle. They WOULD like another team from the West, but there are other teams who qualify for a team more than any of the Canadian teams mentioned earlier. Quebec city could be an exception, but he's not bending over backward to get them in at this point. Which means they have not convinced him yet. 8-8...9-7 not a huge priority. He's not moving Detroit back and everyone else in the East belongs in the East.

I think his next big move is Europe. Would be like hitting the pot of gold financially. Just have to make it work. I think he'd love to put in a whole division over there. Every game here and there would sellout every night. The Swedes and Finns and the rest of the European young talent could play in the NHL without moving over here. It would be difficult but very innovative.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

I don't believe that is an accurate description of the situation. YOU may think that and the average fans believe that is the perfect scenario, but Bettman is running the league much like....if we don't get Seattle, no big deal, we just move along to plan B. He's not desperate to get Seattle. They WOULD like another team from the West, but there are other teams who qualify for a team more than any of the Canadian teams mentioned earlier. Quebec city could be an exception, but he's not bending over backward to get them in at this point. Which means they have not convinced him yet. 8-8...9-7 not a huge priority. He's not moving Detroit back and everyone else in the East belongs in the East.

Bettman really wants Seattle but if they don't want the NHL - he will move on.

As for the East............I think Columbus would be moved back to thr West - also kicking and screaming although I am not 100% sure Carolina stays there much longer. But if they move to a city that still keeps them in the East it would keep things as is.

railbird

EOG Master

seattle not a hockey town. you need rich white republicans to buy the tickets. its a red state sport.

railbird

EOG Master

my buddy owns 714 tickets. he tells me all the ducks fans are from south OC. says 90pct of ducks tix sold from that demo. 10pct of angel fans from that same demo

Bushay

NHL Expert

Bettman really wants Seattle but if they don't want the NHL - he will move on.

As for the East............I think Columbus would be moved back to thr West - also kicking and screaming although I am not 100% sure Carolina stays there much longer. But if they move to a city that still keeps them in the East it would keep things as is.
Pretty sure Gary already said no teams are moving from the East. They are looking for a new teak out there or to relocate an old, struggling one. Only problem is they all are profitable.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Pretty sure Gary already said no teams are moving from the East. They are looking for a new teak out there or to relocate an old, struggling one. Only problem is they all are profitable.

Carolina quickly comes to mind here

Bushay

NHL Expert

Carolina quickly comes to mind here
They have a great fan base.

Winning cures everything.

no teams are losing money these days in the salary cap era.

very few teams lost money before.

they hide the profits in their taxes

Atlanta was poorly run. That's not the case with Carolina.

The very last thing Bettman will do is relocate a team. He understands the effects it has on the fans to lose a team. That's why he's so stubborn with the Arizona franchise.

That said...Florida would go before Carolina.

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated

not sure, but not many cities that lost a pro team ever get another of the same sport.

Minnesota North Stars-Minnesota Wild

Happens all the time.

Winnipeg Jets-Winnipeg Jets
Cleveland Browns-Cleveland Browns
Baltimore Colts-Baltimore Ravens
Los Angeles Rams-Los Angeles Rams
Washington Senators-Washington Nationals
St. Louis (Football)Cardinals-St. Louis Rams
Houston Oilers-Houston Texans
New Orleans Jazz-New Orleans Hornets/Pelicans

Etc...

kane

EOG master

Happens all the time.

Winnipeg Jets-Winnipeg Jets
Cleveland Browns-Cleveland Browns
Baltimore Colts-Baltimore Ravens
Los Angeles Rams-Los Angeles Rams
Washington Senators-Washington Nationals
St. Louis (Football)Cardinals-St. Louis Rams
Houston Oilers-Houston Texans
New Orleans Jazz-New Orleans Hornets/Pelicans

Etc...

Good list. Also Charlotte lost their NBA team, then got another one.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

We can go real old school and say NYC lost the Giants and dodgers, gained the Mets. It happened to Wash D.C. twice in baseball. The original Senators became the twins. They got an expansion team who moved to Texas, and now have the Nationals.

Atlanta also had the Flames, then the Thrashers in the NHL.

Chicago had the Zephers, who became the Bullets (Wizards), then got the Bulls.