Coronavirus - The economy thread

Biff41

EOG Dedicated
Lets hope it works out.
BMC health published an epidemiology report noting the social distancing is based on infections with higher than normal casualty rates. The new info we are getting on Corona is that although it is highly contagious there are large numbers of people with little or no symptoms so the mortality rates are way lower than what some experts believed at first.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
Even when you show symptoms it might not even matter or be too late.

I read some teenager out in the suburbs of Illinois wound up not feeling too great for a few days and part of his body went numb on his final day alive. His mother wound up taking him to the doctor and hospital way before his body went numb and was assured it wasnt corona virus. His diagnosis afterwards was he had corona. How do you think this kids family is going to live like the rest of their lives?

We are in danger times.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
As days go on I truly believe it was created with intent to destroy America's economy and other countries for that matter while intimidating the flu and things would you go back to normal past election day where Trump would be voted out.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Most places have been under stay at home orders for 5 weeks now, is there any evidence at all that the places that didn't have experienced a surge? It's pretty obvious they dont have any impact.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
You need food. You need gas in your car. You need to pay bills such as utilities. You need these things to function and live. You need businesses to open again too but at what cost? If jails and prisons are letting out criminals albeit low level ones, its safe to say this thing is no joke.

MrTop

EOG Master
You need food. You need gas in your car. You need to pay bills such as utilities. You need these things to function and live. You need businesses to open again too but at what cost? If jails and prisons are letting out criminals albeit low level ones, its safe to say this thing is no joke.

you think it is bad now wait till the war starts

mr merlin

EOG Master
If it turns out the virus is far more widespread than thought(apparently 2 test runs of antibody testing have already shown that), then the virus is far less deadly than thought, more on a par with the normal flu.

That means this is a joke.

mr merlin

EOG Master
But Merlin what do you suggest we do? Let the chips fall as they may and reopen all businesses?
Basically yes, with modifications for a little while. cant you see that our economy is being destroyed? that is far, far more important than a disease possibly as deadly as the normal flu running rampant.

We should know a lot more about the real spread of this thing in another couple weeks, then we'll know what to do.

bailout of oil companies coming

Why? The big companies have a fortress of cash and don't get affected one bit by the nonsense going on in the futures markets. When the shutting down of wells and supply worldwide fully takes effect, the world will be reopening. After a month or two of absorbing all the excess capacity we see now there will be a shortage of oil developing and the oil companies who aren't just big debt plays like some of these shale producers will make a ton of money. The ones going BK right now and probably more coming are heavily indebted so I don't see the government handing them money just to pay off what are going to be bad loans and the idea of keeping workers on when there isn't demand is like the opposite of their instincts. This industry is all about crazy hiring and then one day layoffs.

MrTop

EOG Master
Why? The big companies have a fortress of cash and don't get affected one bit by the nonsense going on in the futures markets. When the shutting down of wells and supply worldwide fully takes effect, the world will be reopening. After a month or two of absorbing all the excess capacity we see now there will be a shortage of oil developing and the oil companies who aren't just big debt plays like some of these shale producers will make a ton of money. The ones going BK right now and probably more coming are heavily indebted so I don't see the government handing them money just to pay off what are going to be bad loans and the idea of keeping workers on when there isn't demand is like the opposite of their instincts. This industry is all about crazy hiring and then one day layoffs.

To save jobs

Not for you....the check is for oil company bailout... Write a letter to IRS to get yours

There is little public sympathy for oil companies and Dems will raise holy hell if there is a strong push for oil company bailouts. No one really wants to give money to them so the C-level gets paid and their bondholders get paid.

Best outcome is they go under, their employees collect $1k a week on unemployment and investment into the oil patch is very limited for years to come. Why take something out of the ground now when its not making money?

MrTop

EOG Master
There is little public sympathy for oil companies and Dems will raise holy hell if there is a strong push for oil company bailouts. No one really wants to give money to them so the C-level gets paid and their bondholders get paid.

Best outcome is they go under, their employees collect $1k a week on unemployment and investment into the oil patch is very limited for years to come. Why take something out of the ground now when its not making money?

Too late trump already bought it.. filled up the tops of storage... congress has nothing to do with it. the workers next. Next to convince china to buy some since they do not have oil they been buying from iran

Becoming the world leader in alternative energy production is what would bring this economy back with a lot of excellent jobs.

Publicly Traded Companies Got $300 Million In Small Business Loans: AP Investigation
Neither the Trump administration nor the lending industry has disclosed a list of Paycheck Protection Program beneficiaries.

Reese Dunklin, Justin Pritchard, Justin Myers and Krysta Fauria
04/21/2020 09:17 AM ET
|
Updated 5 hours ago

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Publicly Traded Companies Got $300 Million In Small Business Loans: AP Investigation
Neither the Trump administration nor the lending industry has disclosed a list of Paycheck Protection Program beneficiaries.

Reese Dunklin, Justin Pritchard, Justin Myers and Krysta Fauria
04/21/2020 09:17 AM ET
|
Updated 5 hours ago
Yes, an absolute joke.

Biff41

EOG Dedicated
Most places have been under stay at home orders for 5 weeks now, is there any evidence at all that the places that didn't have experienced a surge? It's pretty obvious they dont have any impact.
It seems to me that the problem with stay at home orders is that not enough people build up immunity....the so called no symptom cases. Now the bureaucrats are telling us we are going to have the same outbreak next flu season. I'm confused.

mr merlin

EOG Master
It seems to me that the problem with stay at home orders is that not enough people build up immunity....the so called no symptom cases. Now the bureaucrats are telling us we are going to have the same outbreak next flu season. I'm confused.
See, that's the problem, no one said that, the CDC director said it "may" be bad, he has no clue, NONE. All he's doing is covering himself because "well, the spanish flu did 100 years ago", so it could happen again.

Why would it be as bad? the big cities will have a shitload of people who are already immune, while the smaller , more rural areas are still just as spread out as before. All BS.

Fox 5 news tonight stated that Las Vegas Valley Water District reporting water usage down 48 million gallons/day since strip shut down.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
I agree with the beginning stages of the democratic proposal if 2,000 a month for however long until all this shit has passed or we get a firm grip on this thing.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
Whoever pushed that proposal first has a true understanding of whats at play here.

They have to because life as we know it has changed for a long time, not forever but a long time. You think some grandparents or family will go to Disney any time soon? You think even drunks are going to want sit right next to each other at the bar? You think people are going to run out to restaurants to dine in and eat in a confined space? You actually think people will reserve hotel rooms like they did before? I dont give a shit if you're established or not, its not happening soon. Supply and demand, right? How the fuck? You feel my drift. Im not exaggerating on this which means businesses wont need as many workers and the ones they do have will work at a reduced rate most likely.

What the fuck does Vegas think they're going to do? Nobody is going to sit next to anybody at a blackjack table. Nobody is spending mkney to see acts or see anything out there anytime soon.

Everybody on tv just tries to give hope so we all dont turn America into the purge like in that one movie.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Whoever pushed that proposal first has a true understanding of whats at play here.

They have to because life as we know it has changed for a long time, not forever but a long time. You think some grandparents or family will go to Disney any time soon? You think even drunks are going to want sit right next to each other at the bar? You think people are going to run out to restaurants to dine in and eat in a confined space? You actually think people will reserve hotel rooms like they did before? I dont give a shit if you're established or not, its not happening soon. Supply and demand, right? How the fuck? You feel my drift. Im not exaggerating on this which means businesses wont need as many workers and the ones they do have will work at a reduced rate most likely.

What the fuck does Vegas think they're going to do? Nobody is going to sit next to anybody at a blackjack table. Nobody is spending mkney to see acts or see anything out there anytime soon.

Everybody on tv just tries to give hope so we all dont turn America into the purge like in that one movie.
yes, yes, yes, yes. you're in a dreamworld Wish, people want to and will do all those things. And for those like you, you can stay inside forever.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
I agree with you Merlin we need to get back to business but its not happening any time soon.

The elderly will choose to spend more time inside which effects their families. Their choices on what to do and where to go. You think mothers are going to rent out places for baby showers? Or birthday parties for their kids? Weddings? You really think people are going to book their trips to Vegas and anywhere like they did before? LOL

Youll see.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
Watching the draft really fucked me up last night. Goodell and the NFL talking about hope for a third of it while everybody DRAFTS THEIR FUCKING PLAYERS FROM INSIDE THE COMFORTS OF THEIR OWN HOME.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW THE FUCK WE ARE GOING TO BE ABLE TO WATCH FOOTBALL WHETHER ITS THE NFL OR COLLEGE IN PACKED STADIUMS COME AUGUST SEPTEMBER?

PLEASE INFORM ME.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
IN ILLINOIS THEY ARE JUST NOW ALLOWING GOLF BUT WITHOUT GOLF CARTS.

I CANT EVEN GO GOLF WITH A GOLF CART IN MAY. HOW THE FUCK ARE WE GOING TO GO WATCH THE BEARS, CUBS, WHITE SOX, BLACKHAWKS ANY TIME SOON?