Your Level of Concern About the Coronavirus......on a scale of 1-10

kane

EOG master
I think they said 85% of the people in Florida who have died from COVID are 65 years and over.

Sure, if possible it's great to keep infections down too but deaths are the bottom line.

If there's a good thing about this it's that younger people down here are the one's sending the numbers through the roof........

I'm going to assume the percentage of them dying will remain very low.

I don't agree about deaths being the bottom line. We don't know what, if any, long term effects their will be from having the virus, one Dr said years from now people who have had Covid will experience problems with their lungs, maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong, but we're dealing with something we've never dealt with before, we don't know what damage the virus is doing to our bodies. During 9/11 I watched all those first responders going into burning buildings to rescue people, 10 years later they started dying due to all that crap they were inhaling, there's no way to know what health issues those who beat the virus will have to deal with 10 years down the road, hopefully none, but right now we don't know.

If i ruled the world, there would be no problems.

Maybe you should start off with a reality show first like BunkerBoy

You (Dr Charlie) bring in a team of celebrities to try their hand at epidemiology to tackle Covid.

Throw in an iconic catch phrase for each weeks losing contestant. As you expel them from the show you simply tell them “ITS OVER”

blueline

EOG Master
GOP strategists must have convinced then they had to publicly say something so they put together this briefing.

It was pointed out that pence only took 5 or 6 questions before ending it.....you would think with numbers surging and not having a briefing for 2 months you would want to educate the public and get info out there.....but we know the truth

mr merlin

EOG Master
GOP strategists must have convinced then they had to publicly say something so they put together this briefing.

It was pointed out that pence only took 5 or 6 questions before ending it.....you would think with numbers surging and not having a briefing for 2 months you would want to educate the public and get info out there.....but we know the truth
Naah, the questions that were asked were fake questions. How about asking why is the death rate still dropping? Is the virus weakening or not? if young people are mostly asymptomatic, why is it a bad thing for them to test positive? Is the outbreak in the south related to air conditioning(everyone's inside)? Pence could have stood there till tomorrow and they would never ask the real questions.

Chi_Archie

EOG Veteran
March 27 NY #'s

5,833 cases 53 deaths

June 26 FL #'s

5004 cases 44 deaths

Hopefully we see a lot of innocuous asymptomatic cases, they don't spread unkowingly to older family members and older/vulnerable people. Hopefully we just edge our way to a late 2021 herd immunity if we can't get a vaccine.

BUT

what's the quote about history and being doomed? How's that go?

I'm hearing a lot of talk and reading a lot of comments about how cases don't matter and only look at deaths.

Well if we look back at recent history and see a state showing Cases as high as we've been seeing CA, TX, and Flo pumping out. What kind of death numbers corresponded at the time? Where did those death numbers go.

If we are going to make assumptions.

so we assume that deaths will not go up or should we assume and prepare for hospitalizations to go up? We've seen examples of the cases sky rocketing and the deaths skyrocketing a few weeks later. Do we have examples of the cases going up and deaths not going up proportionately?

if you were in charge of a city, county, or state and all those lives mattered.

which assumption do you lean towards?

Let's just wear some masks, go to work and be socially distant and cut down on trips outside of work and home that are super necessary.

due to differences in population density, international travelers, domestic travel methods. Better medical treatment knowledge. NO southern cities should even get close to half or 25% of Covid deaths per capita. But it would not be wise for a leader to not consider where our #'s were 3 months ago in a city where they started loading bodies in to refrigerated trucks.

I'm okay with wearing a mask if it has 1% chance of decreasing the odds of someone's loved ones of dying alone in a hospital.

blueline

EOG Master
I don't agree about deaths being the bottom line. We don't know what, if any, long term effects their will be from having the virus, one Dr said years from now people who have had Covid will experience problems with their lungs, maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong, but we're dealing with something we've never dealt with before, we don't know what damage the virus is doing to our bodies. During 9/11 I watched all those first responders going into burning buildings to rescue people, 10 years later they started dying due to all that crap they were inhaling, there's no way to know what health issues those who beat the virus will have to deal with 10 years down the road, hopefully none, but right now we don't know.

exactly

It’s really sad how bigly the White House shit show has been unable to execute simple governing. People are dying and going broke as BunkerBoy orders the orchestra to play on the sinking Titanic

MrTop

EOG Master
Fauci Pleads With Public on Virus Peril; Pence Sees Progress
  • Vice president holds first task force briefing in two months
  • Fauci pleads for Americans to take the virus more seriously

mr merlin

EOG Master
March 27 NY #'s

5,833 cases 53 deaths

June 26 FL #'s

5004 cases 44 deaths

Hopefully we see a lot of innocuous asymptomatic cases, they don't spread unkowingly to older family members and older/vulnerable people. Hopefully we just edge our way to a late 2021 herd immunity if we can't get a vaccine.

BUT

what's the quote about history and being doomed? How's that go?

I'm hearing a lot of talk and reading a lot of comments about how cases don't matter and only look at deaths.

Well if we look back at recent history and see a state showing Cases as high as we've been seeing CA, TX, and Flo pumping out. What kind of death numbers corresponded at the time? Where did those death numbers go.

If we are going to make assumptions.

so we assume that deaths will not go up or should we assume and prepare for hospitalizations to go up? We've seen examples of the cases sky rocketing and the deaths skyrocketing a few weeks later. Do we have examples of the cases going up and deaths not going up proportionately?

if you were in charge of a city, county, or state and all those lives mattered.

which assumption do you lean towards?

Let's just wear some masks, go to work and be socially distant and cut down on trips outside of work and home that are super necessary.

due to differences in population density, international travelers, domestic travel methods. Better medical treatment knowledge. NO southern cities should even get close to half or 25% of Covid deaths per capita. But it would not be wise for a leader to not consider where our #'s were 3 months ago in a city where they started loading bodies in to refrigerated trucks.

I'm okay with wearing a mask if it has 1% chance of decreasing the odds of someone's loved ones of dying alone in a hospital.
If you look at the national chart of new cases, theyve been pretty steady for 10 weeks now, but deaths have not been steady, they are continuing a decline. If cases equal deaths, deaths should have remained relatively steady(allowing for a time lag).

Maybe you should start off with a reality show first like BunkerBoy

You (Dr Charlie) bring in a team of celebrities to try their hand at epidemiology to tackle Covid.

Throw in an iconic catch phrase for each weeks losing contestant. As you expel them from the show you simply tell them “ITS OVER”
If you look at the national chart of new cases, theyve been pretty steady for 10 weeks now, but deaths have not been steady, they are continuing a decline. If cases equal deaths, deaths should have remained relatively steady(allowing for a time lag).

Covid Apprentice......Get on it Dr Charlie

Chi_Archie

EOG Veteran
yeah cases are not at all steady from the way I look at it.

7 day moving avg of 32,451 on April 10
7 day moving avg of 21,306 on June 10

7 day moving avg of 34,158 on June 25

so the past 2 weeks is not at all like anything that happened Post NY peak.

we need to keep in mind that with a huge nation, we can't just look at national numbers and prescribe national treatment.

NY accounts for about 25% of our 50 states total deaths, thus far.

they are down a good 90% from their peak. So without 1000 daily NY deaths, our national numbers can seem comparibly good.

BUT

that doesn't mean other areas might not need our help, attention, and concern?

are we getting the USS comfort shipped out again

or do we only care about whiny squeaky wheel fake news number inflating NY govs?

There is nothing in science or stats that tells us to look at Florida's current situation and shrug our shoulders and say they deserve less help or attention than the goofball New Yorkers

mr merlin

EOG Master

we need to keep in mind that with a huge nation, we can't just look at national numbers and prescribe national treatment.

they are down a good 90% from their peak. So without 1000 daily NY deaths, our national numbers can seem comparibly good.

BUT

or do we only care about whiny squeaky wheel fake news number inflating NY govs?

There is nothing in science or stats that tells us to look at Florida's current situation and shrug our shoulders and say they deserve less help or attention than the goofball New Yorkers
Keep in mind many of the new cases are among the young, they just aren't going to die even if they get hospitalized, so lets say we have 40K in new cases(about half are in the 3 -4 hot spots), if most are young is it any different than having 20K in cases with an avg age of 60 or 65?

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Keep in mind many of the new cases are among the young, they just aren't going to die even if they get hospitalized, so lets say we have 40K in new cases(about half are in the 3 -4 hot spots), if most are young is it any different than having 20K in cases with an avg age of 60 or 65?
It will be interesting to see the long term effects of the 20-something who has it now, say in 10-20 years.

mr merlin

EOG Master
15 more NBA players positive, more baseball players, another golfer, instead of panicking about the numbers, people need to look at whats really going on , if almost none get sick it doesn't matter.

billysink

EOG Dedicated
Down here 1 in 50,000 people under 65 will die from this.

And blacks are 3.5 more times to die than whites (based on respective populations).

If you're a white dude under 65 and even remotely take care of yourself you got really good odds you are going to come out fine.

So a white dude under 65, infected, with ability to infect countless others is less significant than a dead gramma on a steel fridge drawer?

Significant to what? Can't be the economy, can't be mitigation? Can't be eradication?

Dead folk can't spread shit till you roast them and throw what's left up in the fukkin breeze fella.

Live cases can bring down an entire country.

Why is this not registering?

Chi_Archie

EOG Veteran

Those young that test positive are only a percentage of the young that are actually out there and positive right?

This is why testing and showing more cases, saves lives, even if it makes us look bad temporarily. I'd say it's worth it.

So just like recent history showed in March hotspots....young active and social people contracted the virus and unknowingly spread it to many others.

We don't have enough evidence to scientifically rule out a potential for a large increase in deaths in these areas in July.

Are you confident in your numbers to say we won't see an increase in deaths in FL or CA in July?

If I were a leader i'd err on the side if caution abd strongly recommend masks and tell people to consider staying home as much as possible.

Desantis, newsome, abbott seem to have some smart experts that know more than me surrounding them. Maybe they will get duped ALA trump/pence via Fauci. But they prob rightly see that as the safer of taking action on the two assumptions.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Those young that test positive are only a percentage of the young that are actually out there and positive right?

This is why testing and showing more cases, saves lives, even if it makes us look bad temporarily. I'd say it's worth it.

So just like recent history showed in March hotspots....young active and social people contracted the virus and unknowingly spread it to many others.

We don't have enough evidence to scientifically rule out a potential for a large increase in deaths in these areas in July.

Are you confident in your numbers to say we won't see an increase in deaths in FL or CA in July?

If I were a leader i'd err on the side if caution abd strongly recommend masks and tell people to consider staying home as much as possible.

Desantis, newsome, abbott seem to have some smart experts that know more than me surrounding them. Maybe they will get duped ALA trump/pence via Fauci. But they prob rightly see that as the safer of taking action on the two assumptions.
Since hospitalizations are rising I would imagine deaths will rise somewhat in those states, likely not proportionally to what happened in the past. the goal is not to avoid all deaths, it' to do the right things . When we reopened it was known and expected that cases would rise, with the hope being it would be modest and manageable.

MonkeyF0cker

EOG Dedicated
I think they said 85% of the people in Florida who have died from COVID are 65 years and over.

Sure, if possible it's great to keep infections down too but deaths are the bottom line.

If there's a good thing about this it's that younger people down here are the one's sending the numbers through the roof........

I'm going to assume the percentage of them dying will remain very low.

What percentage of those young people were out protesting?

MonkeyF0cker

EOG Dedicated

And the dumbest post of the day award goes to kane...

MonkeyF0cker

EOG Dedicated

BUT

We have better treatments for the virus now.

MonkeyF0cker

EOG Dedicated
So a white dude under 65, infected, with ability to infect countless others is less significant than a dead gramma on a steel fridge drawer?

Significant to what? Can't be the economy, can't be mitigation? Can't be eradication?

Dead folk can't spread shit till you roast them and throw what's left up in the fukkin breeze fella.

Live cases can bring down an entire country.

Why is this not registering?

Because retired people contribute to the economy more than young people? LOL.

MonkeyF0cker

EOG Dedicated

Do we really have evidence of young people spreading the virus? We were recently told that it's very difficult for asymptomatic cases to spread it.

What are the chances that the younger people who have the virus now largely consist of the ones out protesting?

kane

EOG master
And the dumbest post of the day award goes to kane...

You have no clue what long term damage the virus will do, last week some Dr said down the road people will have issues with their lungs, there's no way for you to know what long term damage is being done, you're a moron

MonkeyF0cker

EOG Dedicated
You have no clue what long term damage the virus will do, last week some Dr said down the road people will have issues with their lungs, there's no way for you to know what long term damage is being done, you're a moron

Two doctors in Bakersfield also said the lockdowns were ineffective.

You choose to prioritize doom and gloom every time.

Chi_Archie

EOG Veteran
Since hospitalizations are rising I would imagine deaths will rise somewhat in those states, likely not proportionally to what happened in the past. the goal is not to avoid all deaths, it' to do the right things . When we reopened it was known and expected that cases would rise, with the hope being it would be modest and manageable.

Sure do the right things I agree

Just wear a mask if it has any chance of keeping hospitals in certain areas over loading.

It appears that places like FL and TX will be in their own and won't get preferential treatment from the federal government like exaggerating Cuomo did.

mr merlin

EOG Master
The fact is no one knows, isn't that right? Now if you're in the hospital for weeks, are on a ventilator and they scan your lungs and find scarring(which apparently they are), sure, you'll likely have permanent damage. But to extrapolate from that that healthy people who dont or barely get sick, are going to have long term effects is ridiculous.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Sure do the right things I agree

Just wear a mask if it has any chance of keeping hospitals in certain areas over loading.

It appears that places like FL and TX will be in their own and won't get preferential treatment from the federal government like exaggerating Cuomo did.
If Fla had 8000 cases today they likely had many times that undetected, they could have 50K a day getting it, in a couple weeks to a month or so they'll likely start running out of people, right. Considering they've likely already had 10% or more penetration even before this flareup.

i disagree on the masks, they are voluntary and should remain that way.