Warriors vs Celtics….who wins the NBA title?

TobyTyler

EOG Dedicated
I already bet Jaylen Brown for MVP but after I heard Curry saying his same foot was hurt, put a little on Tatum MVP also. Bet365 had +130 best I saw

boston massacre

EOG Master
BM, I wasn't referring to in-game adjustments as much as I was thinking about adjustments within a seven-game NBA series.

One comes to mind when Austin Croshere was inserted into the Pacers lineup in the 2000 NBA Finals and he provided a one-game spark for head coach Larry Bird's team.

However, the move reeked of desperation and sure enough (looking up the series now) the unorthodox move was okay for one game but it wasn't the answer for the entire series.

The Lakers beat the Pacers in six games to win the 2000 NBA Finals.

And while the trick to play small and force Shaq to guard Croshere on the perimeter worked in the short-term, the Lakers were too much in the end.

Croshere in later years served as the poster boy for overpaid, underperforming players in the league.

There are other examples, too.

One quick one from the 2008 NBA postseason.

I remember when LeBron James decided to guard Rajon Rondo in the 2008 Eastern Conference Semifinals.

The Cavs could not solve the Celtics' multi-pronged attack led by superstar Paul Pierce.

The drastic move to have LeBron chase Rondo did not work, either.

If memory serves, Boston dispatched Cleveland in five games.

I wasn't referring to in-game adjustments as much as I was thinking about adjustments within a seven-game NBA series.

Same Here.

I'm Referring To Game To Game Adjustments.

The above theory is a corollary to a horse racing angle: In a two-horse duel, the jockey who first applies the whip loses the race.

I Think I Proved The Angle of Applying The Whip First As Mythical.

With The BAMA/ Georgia National Championship Game Example.

BAMA Cracks Whip First.

Wins Championship.

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
Klay upset with Boston fans yelling F Bombs with kids around. Green brings his son to the press conference and is swearing left and right, lol.

Heim

EOG Master
Celtic best is better than Warrior best.

They met a team with as good three point proficiency
and better defense. I still chuckle at the series opener.

Voulgaris and a few others (correctly) said closer to pk.

kane

EOG master
My favorite play of last night's game came with about 4 minutes to play, there was a loose ball and about 6 guys were on the floor after it, the guy who came out of the pile with the ball was Marcus Smart, not surprising at all, if I had to bet on which player would emerge from the pile with the basketball, it would be Smart

kane

EOG master
A few observations from last night:

Let's not bury Klay just yet

Robert Williams is an alien

Steph and Klay shot 11/24 from three and they still lost by double digits

Mike Breen is by far the best play by play guy in the NBA, glad he's back

The Celtics look bigger, more physical, and more athletic than the Warriors, Heim might have a point about giving Kuminga some minutes

I'll admit my bias, but to me there's no better atmosphere in professional sports than a Boston Celtics home playoff game

For as good of a coach as he was, Brad Stevens might be an even better GM, every move he's made has worked out

When the Celtics don't turn it over, they're very tough to beat

The Celtics need their bigs to stop dropping when Steph and Klay are coming off screens

And Draymond is still a dick

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!
A few observations from last night:

Let's not bury Klay just yet

Robert Williams is an alien

Steph and Klay shot 11/24 from three and they still lost by double digits

Mike Breen is by far the best play by play guy in the NBA, glad he's back

The Celtics look bigger, more physical, and more athletic than the Warriors, Heim might have a point about giving Kuminga some minutes

I'll admit my bias, but to me there's no better atmosphere in professional sports than a Boston Celtics home playoff game

For as good of a coach as he was, Brad Stevens might be an even better GM, every move he's made has worked out

When the Celtics don't turn it over, they're very tough to beat

The Celtics need their bigs to stop dropping when Steph and Klay are coming off screens

And Draymond is still a dick
Robert Williams is the unsung hero for sure. Just causing complete havoc down low and getting boards he should not be getting. Been amazing.

Heim

EOG Master
Fleecing America just listed Brad Stevens fleecing Spurs for Derrick White over Thomas
Jefferson and the Louisiana Purchase.

Heim

EOG Master
Of course the market deals with perception.

GSW -160 was bad.

Unfortunately they got sucked into history and a weak West.

BOS top three, athleticism and skill set are at their peak.

GSW, on the decline. Their 3 point shooting fools many.

Green and Curry look like their defending with suction cups under their Nike.

BOS, too fast, too quick.

This is one time a tout can proclaim 'market has it wrong'....and is right.

Last edited:

Heim

EOG Master
My favorite play of last night's game came with about 4 minutes to play, there was a loose ball and about 6 guys were on the floor after it, the guy who came out of the pile with the ball was Marcus Smart, not surprising at all, if I had to bet on which player would emerge from the pile with the basketball, it would be Smart

I liked with GSW up one with their run, BOS came right back with a three, and to 11 in a few minutes.

kane

EOG master
Green and Curry look like their defending with suction cups under
their Nike.
The Celts targeted Curry throughout the entire game, now in fairness to him he was playing with foul trouble all game so that probably took away some of his aggressiveness on the defensive end, but he had a tough time defending regardless, Tatum got by him and to the rim rather easily

kane

EOG master
I liked with GSW up one with their run, BOS came right back with a three, and to 11 in a few minutes.
I'm pretty sure it was Smart who hit the three to stop the bleeding, and shortly after they had a double digit lead again

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The Celts targeted Curry throughout the entire game, now in fairness to him he was playing with foul trouble all game so that probably took away some of his aggressiveness on the defensive end, but he had a tough time defending regardless, Tatum got by him and to the rim rather easily

Steph Curry, during his entire 13-year career, has played defense like he's in foul trouble.

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
Let’s not bury the Warriors yet….

For sure. As a Boston backer I like what I'm seeing but these GS guys have done a lot of winning, quality wins late in the post-season.

Kind of like the Lightning, lot of champions there and at one time they looked like they were in trouble.

See so many blatantly obvious things going on in these series like one side dominating and then the exact opposite happens in the next game.

As long as GS has a pulse you got to give them a chance, chip and a chair kind of thing.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!
For sure. As a Boston backer I like what I'm seeing but these GS guys have done a lot of winning, quality wins late in the post-season.

Kind of like the Lightning, lot of champions there and at one time they looked like they were in trouble.

See so many blatantly obvious things going on in these series like one side dominating and then the exact opposite happens in the next game.

As long as GS has a pulse you got to give them a chance, chip and a chair kind of thing.
Especially when you consider the added variance in the NBA now with the abundance of 3 point shots being taken. Shot making these days will make a mediocre team look really good at times (see Dallas). Winning game 3 by 20 and losing game 4 by 25 is way more likely than it use to be. In saying all that I do believe that the Celtics are clearly the better team and if they play well they should win.

ouch

EOG Dedicated
Especially when you consider the added variance in the NBA now with the abundance of 3 point shots being taken. Shot making these days will make a mediocre team look really good at times (see Dallas). Winning game 3 by 20 and losing game 4 by 25 is way more likely than it use to be. In saying all that I do believe that the Celtics are clearly the better team and if they play well they should win.

Some excellent points here, Ray.

I have no rooting interest in this series, and because of the above, no betting interest either.

But man......can we get a close game once in a while?.......something that goes down to the wire with the issue in doubt? Even though the skill level is incredibly high, the entire thing begins to bore the hell out of me. Give me an NCAA tournament game in March where a "one loss and you're out" system seems to create infinitely more drama than NBA playoff games.

Also, you have to laugh listening to the pundits who after every game, anoint the winner of that game as the clear-cut favorite to win the championship. Right now, Boston has youth and length on their side and the pendulum has swung their way. But if Stef goes for 40 tonight (Jimmy Butler style), and the Warriors win, suddenly their veteran saavy, heart and home court advantage will swing it the other way.

Ahhh....the joys of a public who love to bet on what they've seen last.

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
Yes, lot of recency bias, especially in these TV playoff games.

Good point about variance Ray, no doubt.

Not saying we lose but for sure I think GS has a chance.....

Would be silly to suggest otherwise.

That said I'm on Boston both 1H and game.

Good luck Boston backers.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Gotta love shit show announcers Van Gundy and Jackson both try to minimize the Celtics' scum fans' obscene chants, saying it happens at all the other arenas. LOL

Heim

EOG Master
Did you see Barstool's David Portney in the second row with his 'Draymond is a jerk face' shirt....

Guy runs a multi-million dollar company and wears something a kid would have on.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Did you see Barstool's David Portney in the second row with his 'Draymond is a jerk face' shirt....

Guy runs a multi-million dollar company and wears something a kid would have on.

No, I usually look at the in-progress betting lines on my phone and computer, with my back to the TV screen. LOL

Portnoy has jumped the shark many times now, a media-freak during the lockdowns, but just a pathetic clown now, especially after his comments about the Colorado/James Salinas rip-off.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Some excellent points here, Ray.

I have no rooting interest in this series, and because of the above, no betting interest either.

But man......can we get a close game once in a while?.......something that goes down to the wire with the issue in doubt? Even though the skill level is incredibly high, the entire thing begins to bore the hell out of me. Give me an NCAA tournament game in March where a "one loss and you're out" system seems to create infinitely more drama than NBA playoff games.

Also, you have to laugh listening to the pundits who after every game, anoint the winner of that game as the clear-cut favorite to win the championship. Right now, Boston has youth and length on their side and the pendulum has swung their way. But if Stef goes for 40 tonight (Jimmy Butler style), and the Warriors win, suddenly their veteran saavy, heart and home court advantage will swing it the other way.

Ahhh....the joys of a public who love to bet on what they've seen last.

Curry with 43 in Game 4.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Celtics in 5.

Erin Rynning liked Celtics in 5.

Celtic best is better than Warrior best.

They met a team with as good three point proficiency
and better defense. I still chuckle at the series opener.

Voulgaris and a few others (correctly) said closer to pk.

best of three with two games in SF…..

Viejo goes to the head of the class heading to game 5, the rest were full of crap. Current Pinny series price is Warriors -155, Celtics +132.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
"Celtics in 5" gave no respect to Golden State's back class.

I'm an expert when it comes to postgame analysis.

Never wrong, after the fact.

Haha.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Here's a winning prediction: This series will go at least six games and possibly seven.

I'll be here all week.

Or at least until Game 7 which is set for Sunday, June 19.