2023 MLB

Heim

EOG Master
LAD Sheehan is laying -200+ after two lifetime starts, the only other pitcher I can recall with such lofty market promise
was Nats Strasburg.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I knew Votto was old. But really have to wonder how many times he saw the young Mantle play LOL.

I'm quite a bit older than Votto, and I didn't see any baseball before 1970.
Mantle was a shell of himself after 64, about when you were born.

Heim

EOG Master
Based on what I've seen on film, Trout is closest to Mantle. Power, speed and both played center. Only difference, Mantle battled hangovers
in about a fourth of the games he played. lol

Heim

EOG Master
When a unidentified GM was asked if a 11 year deal worth 550 million would get Ohtani's signature, he replied, 'too low'.

Yikes!

Too big time for Anaheim...

Heim

EOG Master
Funny how Trout has become an afterthought in the Angels. Rarely hear his name now…

He made a great catch in center today robbing Vaughn of a homerun. But, you're right. He's been completely over-shadowed
by Ohtani fever. Plus, constantly injured has not helped.

I still can't figure out how the Halos had 16 strikeouts on CWS batters, 4 homeruns and still lost today.

Heim

EOG Master
I like Arizona's lineup but their back end starters have a ERA 6.00+....

I would think they'll acquire a #3 or #4 type guy before the trading deadline.

Heim

EOG Master
The totals on Alcantara's games are a full run higher with over money lately...proof something is amiss.

If you want further proof, even Fezzik staying away for RHE unders involving his games which were knee jerk last season )

Valuist

EOG Master
What kind of Crown would this be?

Ohtani as a hitter:
leading MLB in HRs
leading AL in RBIs
leading MLB in slugging pct
leading MLB in OPS
tied for MLB lead in triples
4th in AL batting average

Ohtani as a pitcher:
2nd in AL strikeouts
6th in AL ERA
6th in MLB WHIP

Will a $500 million contract be enough?

MrTop

EOG Master
Juan Soto says Shohei Ohtani is impressive but “he’s going to have trouble facing this lineup tomorrow.”

Ray Luca

EOG Master
If you're talking about the wrist injury, out again, you're right.

His injuries aren't of the 15 day IL variety. When he's out, he's out for a while.

This one didn't look good.

Yes no good. Can't stay healthy

GL and Happy 4th Heim

Valuist

EOG Master
If you're talking about the wrist injury, out again, you're right.

His injuries aren't of the 15 day IL variety. When he's out, he's out for a while.

This one didn't look good.

Didn't he hurt his wrist a few years ago sliding head first into 2nd? Maybe it was a hand or finger. But still, everyone wants to be Rickey Henderson. Sliding head first means more injuries.

Valuist

EOG Master
How many teams are capable of signing Ohtani? Obviously both New York teams and the Dodgers. After that, the Cubs, Texas and Philly probably capable. After that, I’m not sure.

Heim

EOG Master
Trouts annual injury as broken bone in wrist puts him where he spends quite a bit of time.
Interesting he's always injured this time of year. 3rd straight All Star game absence.

Lastly, there was talk Halos would deal Ohtani, now no chance (Trout injury). But that brings up a interesting point. If they had dealt him to NL, what happens to bettors AL MVP tix? 🤔

Heim

EOG Master
In retrospect CF Moniak was a wise pickup from Phillies, he's better than Marsh and has some pop. Decent fill-in until mid August.

mr merlin

EOG Master
3-4 yrs ago Trout had the potential to put up huge lifetime numbers - prob the 600 HR club(maybe 650), now with his injuries and covid he;ll be lucky to hit 500.

It's a shame. remember last years injury was this phantom abdominal pain that turned out to be some muscle condition that while it was painful sometimes, it wouldn't get worse. I thought he was gonna toughen up after that, but I was wrong.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Interesting he's always injured this time of year. 3rd straight All Star game absence.

Lastly, there was talk Halos would deal Ohtani, now no chance (Trout injury). But that brings up an interesting point. If they had dealt him to NL, what happens to bettors AL MVP tix? 🤔
That’s an interesting point, especially since Ohtani is roughly -1600. That would be a bad beat if it occurred.

Valuist

EOG Master
I say $600mm

I'm not 100% sure he will be a two way player 6-7 years from now. Let's say they get 5 years both as a pitcher and hitter at an elite level. Let's say 5 years at $60m/year. But then he's an outfielder DH for the final 5 years at $30m. That would be $450m. Granted, I'm assuming that his performance as a two way player won't be sustainable beyond 5 more years. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm sure the analytics departments are running numerous models and $600m might be hard to justify.

Heim

EOG Master
3-4 yrs ago Trout had the potential to put up huge lifetime numbers - prob the 600 HR club(maybe 650), now with his injuries and covid he;ll be lucky to hit 500.

It's a shame. remember last years injury was this phantom abdominal pain that turned out to be some muscle condition that while it was painful sometimes, it wouldn't get worse. I thought he was gonna toughen up after that, but I was wrong.

He had sure HOF projections but I wonder now. Has never led the league in BA, homeruns or RBIs. Moreover, never been in a WS let alone lift the
trophy. I've never been a fan so I'm a little biased but HOF is not a given here anymore.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
He had sure HOF projections but I wonder now. Has never led the league in BA, homeruns or RBIs. Moreover, never been in a WS let alone lift the
trophy. I've never been a fan so I'm a little biased but HOF is not a given here anymore.
he’s a first ballot lock if he never played another game. He’s won 3 MVP’s and finished 2nd three other times.