2009 College Football Notebook

Blondie

EOG Master
Re: 2009 College Football Notebook

Noob, got company over and not much time tonight.

I agree, if Blondie happens to win...she will get DOUBLE bragging rights.

With those two baseball guys....we have our work cut out for us. Thanks Bud.

How did I end up in this contest? :LMAO

Hell, I can barely remember to play in contests where I post the friggin lines :hangt

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

HAWAII
The Western Athletic Conference is reprimanding Hawaii coach Greg McMackin for his derogatory comment while describing Notre Dame's chant before last year's Hawaii Bowl. The university already has suspended McMackin for 30 days without pay. He's volunteered to take an additional 7 percent pay cut from his $1.1 million salary. The coach also has apologized for using the gay slur during a media brifing last week at the WAC football preview in Salt Lake City. The WAC said yesterday it reprimanded McMackin for violating the conference's sportsmanship code. The league says any further violations will result in a minimum one game suspension.

ESPN
College Gameday could be opening the year with the Alabama vs Virginia Tech game. Although the network has not released ay plans, co-host Lee Corso may have let the cat out of the bag in a Sunday story in the Orlando Sentinel. The former head coach, who suffered a stroke this spring, told the Sentinel that he plans to make his return September 5th in Atlanta where Bama and Tech meet.

FLORIDA STATE
The Noles cannot use a law firm as a go between to keep documents on an academic cheating scandal secret, media lawyers wrote Monday in an appeal to have the papers released publicly. An appellate court in 1990 ruled against a similar move by St. Petersburg and the Chicago White Sox to hide an agreement for moving the toeam to Florida, lawyers said in court papers. The argument is over documents on the school's appeal of an NCAA plan to remove wins from the individual records of coaches and atheletes in 10 sports regardless of whether they were involved in the cheating.

ALABAMA
The mystery of starter last year starter Brandon Fanney continues. Suspended for spring practice and rumored to be transferring, the linebacker's name has not landed on a roster of any college program. He was not included in the Alabama media guide released July 22 at SEC Media Days. The school that was said to be his next stop, North Alabama, has not included him on its roster as of Monday. Lions coach Terry Bowden, dismissed the notion of Fanney heading to UNA when asked at the Division II school's media day Monday. Alabama coach Nick Saban said he would not address roster issues until Wednesday when the team officially reports to campus for practice. Transfers and other departures has been the theme of the summer for Crimson Tide football as it works to trim its scholarship number to the NCAA mandated limit of 85. Fanney started all 14 games last season and ranked third on the team in tackles.

ALABAMA
The mystery of starter last year starter Brandon Fanney continues. Suspended for spring practice and rumored to be transferring, the linebacker's name has not landed on a roster of any college program. He was not included in the Alabama media guide released July 22 at SEC Media Days. The school that was said to be his next stop, North Alabama, has not included him on its roster as of Monday. Lions coach Terry Bowden, dismissed the notion of Fanney heading to UNA when asked at the Division II school's media day Monday. Alabama coach Nick Saban said he would not address roster issues until Wednesday when the team officially reports to campus for practice. Transfers and other departures has been the theme of the summer for Crimson Tide football as it works to trim its scholarship number to the NCAA mandated limit of 85. Fanney started all 14 games last season and ranked third on the team in tackles.

Makes me like VT + points even more12io4j2w90

We have already written him off the Alabama roster. This can not be good for the Tide. All of these scholarship issues should have been dealt with 3 months ago.

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

TENNESSEE
Just because the Vols weren't wearing pads or initiating contact in their first practice of the fall doesn't mean they weren't physical. The Vols held a hot, three hour practice Tuesday, their first fall session under new coach Lane Kiffin. It was the first time the coaches got to work with Kiffin's first class of recruits, which features players like running back Bryce Brown and wide receiver Nu'Keese Richardson, who both saw significant practice time.

AUBURN
Head coach Gene Chizik made two noticeable changes to the preseason practice routine this year. For starters, most of them won't begin until late in the afternoon. "Our numbers are down a little bit. You've got to be smart, and there's got to be some methods to the madness on when you're doing what," Chizik said. "You always want to beat the heat to the best of your ability, and you've got to be smart because you're going to play some games in the heat, so they've got to have enough of it. But to much right now, you don't want a player to go down with body cramps, and they're out for three or four days." That move was popular with the players. However, it was not as popular as the decision to move practice onto the complex field and away from the intramural fields where Tommy Tuberville held the first two weeks of preseason practice. "I don't miss too much about the intramural fields and the ants, the little ant piles," defensive end Antonio Coleman said. "Hot, no trees, no shade. It's just great to come over here and practice at our own facility and not the intramural fields." Bear Bryant and Woody Hayes must be turning over in their graves.

NORTH ALABAMA
The Gulf South Conference head football coaches have picked the Lions to finish second in their annual preseason poll, which was released yesterday by the league office. Delta State, the two time defending champion, was picked to win the GSC with seven first place votes and 96 total points. North Alabama received two first place votes and 88 points, while Valdosta State was picked third. UNA return 33 lettermen from last year's team that went 12-2. The Lions have about 20 new transfers from places like Florida State, North Carolina State, Mississippi State, Southern Mississippi and others. New head coach Terry Bowden (son of Bobby) will get all of FSU's cast offs. Florida State's leading receiver from last season in now a Lion. The new starting quarterback is from North Carolina State for examples.

NICK SABAN
Coach Saban's charitable organization has awarded more than $300,000 to several local and state charities. The annual Nick's Kids Luncheon was yesterday at Bryant-Denny Stadium. Nick and Terry Saban have distributed more than $1 million the past three years to 150 plus charities and organizations around Alabama. They presented checks to those organizations at the luncheon. The Saban's started Nick's Kids when they were at Michigan State. The money is raised through the annual Nick's Kids Golf Tournament, speaking engagements by the Sabans and individual donations.

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

I will post the opening week kickoff "Bragging Rights Challenge" this morning.

Had a short night and trying to get my head together.

I had dinner las night with an exec from a major hotel in Vegas. He said that this year, there will be a lot more line movement than normal. This is because of the economy and lost revenues that they expect. The books will do everything they can to try and get equal action on both sides in every game. This is because they will not be able to lay off action as easily as they could when times were better economically. Bottom line. For those of you who wager offshore, divest. The more books you can wager in, the better your chances of getting a more favorable line. If you wager in Vegas, as I do, keep your eyes open, and wager very early (Sunday) or very late (1 hour before game time or less).

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

I had dinner las night with an exec from a major hotel in Vegas. He said that this year, there will be a lot more line movement than normal. This is because of the economy and lost revenues that they expect. The books will do everything they can to try and get equal action on both sides in every game. This is because they will not be able to lay off action as easily as they could when times were better economically. Bottom line. For those of you who wager offshore, divest. The more books you can wager in, the better your chances of getting a more favorable line. If you wager in Vegas, as I do, keep your eyes open, and wager very early (Sunday) or very late (1 hour before game time or less).

Thanks for the info, BD. Do you subscribe to the usual "wait on dogs, bet faves early" betting habit or do you decide when to place the wager on a game-by-game basis?

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

One of the most loyal SOB's to EOG and our gang is Nighttrain. Crazytrain to you but
another name to us a long time ago.

Said he needed a break or was told to take a break but tired or rested, this DUDE is
straight up. We wouldn't give one train for a thousand pretenders.

Take a break Bud and come back and kick ass. We need you here at EOG!

Thanks for the info, BD. Do you subscribe to the usual "wait on dogs, bet faves early" betting habit or do you decide when to place the wager on a game-by-game basis?

Not necessairily, but the favorites win more often than the dogs do, so I am certainly not afraid to wager on favorites, like so many others are. I tend to wager more at the beginning of the season than at the end, because of several reasons. First, the books tend to get it right as the year wears along. In the NFL, there were twice as many games that came within 1 point of the line in weeks 16-17 than there were in weeks 1-2.

Second, in the College ranks, non-con games are easier to pick than conference games, because the teams, for the most part, do not know each other. Now there are some teams that play the same non-con foe all the time, like USC-Notre Dame, Florida-Florida State, Georgia-Georgia Tech,and a few others, but for the most part, these teams meet for a "home and home" and then may not play each other for years. The oddsmakers have nothing to go on, so they always make the lines closer than they should be, because after all, every team starts the season at 0-0.

In the Pro ranks, you are going to get your top effort from every team up until week 8. Then, things start to slide downhill for a lot of teams, and coaches start to look towards the next season. Players look to avoid career ending injuries if their team is going nowheres. The books have pretty much caught up to these teams.

So to a degree, it is smarter to wager on the favorites in College early, and let the conference upsets balance out the books later on, but that is only a trend, and every game is different. I will admit that as far as the games that I have already played on, and am currently thinking about playing on in week 1, I have played the favorite.

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

Not necessairily, but the favorites win more often than the dogs do, so I am certainly not afraid to wager on favorites, like so many others are. I tend to wager more at the beginning of the season than at the end, because of several reasons. First, the books tend to get it right as the year wears along. In the NFL, there were twice as many games that came within 1 point of the line in weeks 16-17 than there were in weeks 1-2.

Second, in the College ranks, non-con games are easier to pick than conference games, because the teams, for the most part, do not know each other. Now there are some teams that play the same non-con foe all the time, like USC-Notre Dame, Florida-Florida State, Georgia-Georgia Tech,and a few others, but for the most part, these teams meet for a "home and home" and then may not play each other for years. The oddsmakers have nothing to go on, so they always make the lines closer than they should be, because after all, every team starts the season at 0-0.

In the Pro ranks, you are going to get your top effort from every team up until week 8. Then, things start to slide downhill for a lot of teams, and coaches start to look towards the next season. Players look to avoid career ending injuries if their team is going nowheres. The books have pretty much caught up to these teams.

So to a degree, it is smarter to wager on the favorites in College early, and let the conference upsets balance out the books later on, but that is only a trend, and every game is different. I will admit that as far as the games that I have already played on, and am currently thinking about playing on in week 1, I have played the favorite.

Interesting theories and it all makes sense. I read somewhere else today something that backs up your theory that favorites cash more frequently in the earlier part of the season: excuse me if the numbers are a bit off because I can't find it again, but last year in the first few weeks, road favorites went 11-0 when they had 80% of the public backing them but the last few weeks of the season, the number of road faves covering with 80% of the public was less than 50%.

Again, the numbers might be a bit off but that's how I remember reading it.

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

TENNESSEE
Vol coach Lane Kiffin says he and his coaching staff are having a hard time getting wide receiver Brandon Warren through an entire practice. Warren says he suffered a foot injury early in the summer and has been dealing with occasional pain in the first two fall practices. Kiffin said Wednesday he feels like it's "always something" with Warren, and that coaches are having a hard time getting 30 minutes of practice time with him. Coaches are trying to convert the 6-foot-2, 230 pound junior from Alcoa from tight end to wide receiver to put his size and natural catching ability to use. Warren says he's trying to play through the pain because of how thin the receiving corps is. Denarius Moore is sidelined as he recovers from foot surgery, and Austin Rogers is out for the season to recover from knee surgery. Bet on Tennessee being a run first team this season.

AUBURN
In a late May interview with the Mobile Press-Register, Daphne product Robert Cooper said he accepted a scholarship from Auburn mainly because he could compete at the quarterback position. That apparently didn't last long. The true freshman was listed as a tight end on the roster. Head coach Chizik said at the SEC Media Days that two newcomers would push for the QB position, now clearly meaning Tyrik Rollison and Clint Moseley. "Robert's a big kid who's a really good athlete and can do a lot of different things," Chizik said. "We certainly need help at that position. That's where we felt like starting out would be the best thing. He's a great kid. " He will do anything to help this team." A lot of kids are promised many different things during recruiting.

ALABAMA
The weight of All-American Terrence Cody has been an issure since he rumbled into Tuscaloosa last year. At 400 plus pounds, he earned every bit of the "Mount Cody" nickname. Now with preseason hype and big expectations from the former junior college goliath, he is making strides to be the every down player who he wasn't in 2008. But he's not all the way there yet. The roster distributed at Wednesday's news conference listed Cody at 6-foot-5, 354 pounds, eleven pounds lighter than the weight listed on the roster appearing on the team's official web site. "Has he reached all the goals that we've tried to establish for him? He's come close," Saban said. Cody can be a real force manning the middle of Bama's defense.

Sophomore running back Mark Ingram was named one of 45 candidates for the 2009 Doak Walker Award. The honor is awarded annually to the nations's top running back in memory of the Southern Methodist legend. As a freshman, Ingram rushed 143 times for 728 yards and a team high 12 touchdowns.

Some particulars on Virginia Tech, Alabams's first game opponent.
Nickname: Hokies
Colors: Maroon & Orange
Conference: Atlantic Coast
Stadium: Lane (66,233)
2008 Record: 10-4 (5-3 ACC)
All-Time vs Alabama: 1-10
Head Coach: Frank Beamer (209-108-2), At Virginia Tech (167-85-2)
Starters Returning: 16
Offense: (8) WR Danny Coale, WR Jarrett Boykin, TE Greg Boone, TB Darren Evans, OB Tyrod Taylor, OT Ed Wang, OT Blake DeChristopher, OG Sergio Render.
Defense: (7) DE Jason Worilds, DT John Graves, DT Cordarrow Thompson, OLB Cam Martin, CB Stephan Virgil, SS Dorian Porch, S Kam Chancellor.
Kickers: (1) PK Brent Bowden.
Lettermen Returning: 40 (17 offense, 20 defense, 3 special teams)
Lettermen Lost: 16 (6 offense, 8 defense, 2 special teams)

September 5th is drawing near.......about time!

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

SOUTHEASTERN CONFERENCE OPENING WEEK SCHEDULE:
Thursday (9/3)
South Carolina at North Carolina State (7:00 EST)
Saturday (9/5)
Kentucky at Miami,Ohio (12:00)
Western Kentucky at Tennessee (12:00)
Jackson State at Mississippi State (2:30)
Georgia at Oklahoma State (2:30)
Louisiana Tech at Auburn (6:00)
Charleston Southern at Florida (7:00) *not sure I would call this a game...scrimmage?
Western Carolina at Vanderbilt (6:00)
Alabama vs Virginia Tech (8:00)
LSU at Washington (7:30)
Sunday (9/6)
Ole Miss at Memphis State (2:30)

DAVIE O'BRIEN QB WATCH LIST
The Davie O'Brien watch list includes 33 quarterbacks from across the country. Four were chosen from the Southeastern Conference.
1. Tim Tebow - Florida
2. Jevan Snead - Ole Miss
3. Ryan Mallett - Arkansas
4. Jordon Jefferson - LSU
*Remember this name....John Brantley (Brantley is the backup QB to Tim Tebow and could start for most teams in the country, especially in the SEC.

ALABAMA
With a healthy stable of running backs available this fall, coach Nick Saban said yesterday he is looking to use the versatile players in multiple roles. Roy Upchurch and Terry Grant proved their value with strong special teams play last season, and the coach hopes to use running backs in similar ways this fall. He uses some of the same thinking as New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick, who he coached under with the Cleveland Browns. "A third down back, which may be your third back, has to be able to contribute on special teams, otherwise with a 47 man roster you don't have enough guys to play on special teams", Saban said. "In college you have more players, you can take more players, but there are still some positions that are better suited, body type and athletic ability wise, to play on special teams and running back would be one of those." When Bama travels to Atlanta for its season opener with Virginia Tech, Saban said he'd like to bring "three good, functional backs." Returning running backs Upchurch, Grant and Mark Ingram will be joined by highly recruited freshmen Trent Richardson and Eddie Lacy.

Three Bama players will appear in the September issue of Playboy. Javier Arenas, Julio Jones and Rolando McClain were picked to the Playboy All-American team that will grace the pages of the September issue. Former Crimson Tide offensive tackle Andre Smith made the team last season. Arenas plays defensive back but he made the Playboy team as a punt returner. He led the nation last season with three punts returned for touchdowns while averaging close to 16 yards per return.

Starting quarterback Greg McElroy has already reached one goal he'd set for himself this season. He bench pressed 370 pounds and had set a goal of 350. He said his goal now is 400. McElroy has been the talk of several summer camps that featured top college quarterbacks. I look for a big year out of this kid.

JACKSONVILL STATE (AL)
Quarterback Ryan Perrilloux said he might have entered the NFL Draft if he'd known the Gamecocks were going to be banned from postseason play this season. Jax State is being banned from post season play because of low Academic Progress Rate scores. Perrilloux is a transfer from LSU who played his first season at Jacksonville in 2008.

NORTH ALABAMA (UNA)
The Lions who have about 20 transfers reporting this fall added another one in wide receiver T. J. Porter. A senior form Pahokee, Florida, Porter was Pitt's third leading receiver in 2008 with 25 receptions for 357 yards. He had 65 catches for 704 yards in three seasons for the Panthers. Also, defensive end Courtney Harris, a transfer for Miami has been cleared to play. Give Bowden another year of transfers and North Alabama could compete in the Sun Belt Conference.

It looks like 2-3 losses for the SEC are possible in week 1. Both South Carolina and Georgia will be dogs, and Alabama vs Va Tech will be very interesting, even though the Tide is -4 now. Don't be suprised if La.Tech gives Auburn a real good game. Mississippi is -17 at Memphis now. That may be too many points, even though I think that Mississippi wins the game.

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

BD, other than Florida, I think the SEC sweeps opening week. (Yes, I'm a SEC homer)

That Gator game will be a nail biter.

Alabama and Georgia have their hands full.....no doubt.

bracks7

EOG Member

Clover- You think the Cocks beat NCST? WOW

I think the other 2 games (UGA, Bama) are a coin flip, and can give reasons for either, but that my friend, is a bold statement.

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

Yep my friend. Bracks, NC ST will be improved....but so will SC.

First: Spurrier brought in six new coaches who have brought a new attitude to this team.
Second: The Cocks had their best spring practice since the Ole Ball Coach arrived.
Third: True, this team only returns 10 starters but will be young and talented.
Forth: The offensive line under new coach Eric Wolford has vastly improved.
(the past four years the O-line has been god awful)
Fifth: Stephen Garcia has talent at QB.

Should be a competitive game but I give nod to SC. Thanks.................

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

Yep my friend. Bracks, NC ST will be improved....but so will SC.

First: Spurrier brought in six new coaches who have brought a new attitude to this team.
Second: The Cocks had their best spring practice since the Ole Ball Coach arrived.
Third: True, this team only returns 10 starters but will be young and talented.
Forth: The offensive line under new coach Eric Wolford has vastly improved.
(the past four years the O-line has been god awful)
Fifth: Stephen Garcia has talent at QB.

Should be a competitive game but I give nod to SC. Thanks.................

I have to say that N.C. State will handle South Carolina rather easily. South Carolina simply has no offense, and to expect them to develop one in week 1 is asking too much. This is a big revenge game for N.C. State. South Carolina's offense averaged 10 points in their last 3 games of last season, all of which were on the road. One was a bowl game. It is going to be up to South Carolina's defense to keep them in the game. I don't see it. This may be a good under play. Check out the total line.

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

BD, I may be the only person in the forum who likes South Carolina.

SC is young but talented and will have to mature fast for the opener.

Thursday night on ESPN for all to see......................

Yoiu have hit the nail on the head. I do not thik that South Carolina can mature that fast. Spurrier is just going through the motions now. He is not half the coach we was before his little venture into the NFL. But according to someone who posts in here, we are just mediocre anyways, so I guess it doesn't matter what we say.

Mule, it looks like you will 3 1/2 points if you like South Carolina against N.C. State. I dno not think that is nearly enough. If the line drops any more, I may go with N.C. State. One thing stopping me is the fact that South Carolina is 5-0 in these situations. An away dog vs an opponent with revenge.

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

SOUTH CAROLINA
The Gamecocks have been picked to finish third in the Southeastern Conference's Eastern Division in a preseason media poll released by the conference office. South Carolina is expected to finish behind only Florida and Georgia in the SEC East, despite having just one player, Eric Norwood, named to the all-league team. The Gamecocks tallied 217 points on the 64 ballots to place third behind Florida (a unanimous first with 64 points) and Georgia with 133 points. Tennessee (258), Vanderbilt (317) and Kentucky (355) round out the Eastern Division. The third place prediction snaps a seven year string in which Carolina was pegged for fourth place in the the SEC East in the media's preseason poll. Alabama was the media favorite to win the Western Division. The Crimson Tide tallied 109 points to edge out LSU (145) and Ole Miss (149). Arkansas (245), Auburn (309) and Mississippi State (387) are slated to finish fourth, fifth and sixth, respectively. Florida receive 63 of 64 votes to win the SEC title game, while Ole Miss had the lone dissenting vote.

SOUTHEASTERN CONFERENCE FOOTBALL
Florida gave the SEC its third consecutive national championship in 2008 (LSU, 2007; Florida, 2006), its fifth title in 11 years of the BCS and its seventh since conference expansion in 1992. It is the SEC's 19th national championship in its history (counting only AP, UPI, and USA Today polls).

The SEC is the only league to currently have four football coaches who have won a national championship as a head coach.
Steve Spurrier, South Carolina (won title in 1996 while at Florida)
Nick Saban, Alabama (won title in 2003 while at LSU)
Urban Meyer, Florida (won titles in 2006 and 2008)
Les Miles, LSU (won title in 2007)

The SEC had four teams ranked in the top 15 of the final 2008 Associated Press USA Today coaches polls, the most of any conference. Since 1983, the SEC has placed four teams in the top 15 of the AP poll 13 times (out of 26 years). The conference has had four teams ranked in the top 15 in five of the last six seasons in the AP poll (four in a row.)

The SEC finished the 2008-09 bowl season with a 6-2 record. During the last three bowl seasons, the SEC is 19-7, the highest win total of any conference and the second highest winning percentage of any conference (Big East, 12-4, .750). No other conference has won more than 12 bowl games during the last three seasons.

In 2008, the SEC led all NCAA FBS conferences with a 76.7 winning percentage in non-conference games. The SEC posted a 43-13 overall non-conference mark, edging out the Big 12 with a 42-13 mark. It marks the third year in a row that the SEC has led all NCAA FBS conferences in non-conference winning percentage.

The SEC drew 6.4 million fans to its games in 2008, the most by any conference in 2008. In 83 game dates, the SEC averaged 76,832 fans per game, which is the highest mark in NCAA history. SEC games filled stadiums at 98.41 percent of capacity, which is the highest since 1999.

*Some debate going on recently about the best football conference. Seems to me the SEC is pretty damn strong.

The problem with the SEC East is that after Florida, there is no BCS type team, and after Georgia, the rest are just mediocre, at best. Tennessee is rebuilding, and has a target on it's back. South Carolina is a majo runderachiever with Spurrier, and has do depend on an untested QB. Kentucky and Vandy are iffy, at best. The real power in the SEC has shifted to the West. "Bama and LSU are strong. Mississippi is overrated in my book, but Arkansas is a great "under the radar" play this year. Auburn may improve. Only Mississippi State looks to be in real bad shape.

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

FLORIDA STATE
Head coach Bobby Bowden says he wants one more national title before retirement. At the annual football media day, Bowden said Sunday he believes the Seminoles are rebuilt and ready to win another national championship. He has two years to deliver before his successor-in-waitin, Jimbo Fisher, takes over in January 2011. "Definitely, I want to win a national championship again," said the 79 year old Bowden, who enters his 34th season at Florida State. "I wish I could leave here on top." Bowden's 1993 and 1999 teams won national titles.

LSU
If the Tigers' defense fails to improve, the unit's new chief promises he won't be making excuses. John Chavissays no one will hear him complain that the Tigers lack talent. The Tigers' new defensive coordinator says it's up to him to recognize what players do best and put them in positions to play aggressively and at full speed. Coach Les Miles said he picked Chavis for his experience in the Southeastern Conference. Chavis was Tennessee's defensive coordinator for the past 14 years. Chavis is installing new blitzes and giving versatile players the chance to play multiple positions.

AUBURN
One of Auburn coach Gene Chizik's goals this season is to have every player pay attention to detail. Freshman offensive lineman Andre Harris learned that lesson the hard way Sunday. During the team's stretching period, offensive line coach Jeff Grimes got in Harris' face and yelled at him for not having his helmet lined up properly. The players, as well as their helmets, are apparently supposed to be lined up 21/2 yards away from each other.

ARKANSAS
When Bobby Petrino was asked what completion percentage he expects from his quarterbacks, the response was 100 percent. Then the coach became a little more serious. "If we're executing and doing things right, we're going to break Kevin Scanlon's school record on completion percentage," Petrino said at media day Saturday. "That's what we need to do. You get up there around 68, 70 percent, that means that you're executing and doing things right." After only ne season with the Razorbacks, Petrino has changed the program's culture. For years, Arkansas relied on a bruising running game, but now the Hogs are eager to showcase their passing and hopefully rewrite the school record book in the process. That's the goal for starting QB Ryan Mallett. Mallett who had to sit out after transferring from Michigan, has look good in Petrino's offense. Mallett has three years of eligibility remaining, and backup Tyler Wilson has four after redshirting last season. The QB position looks to be in good hands the next few years.

GEORGIA
Head coach Mark Richt isn't ready to predict the winner of Georgia's tailback competition. He won't even predict that one winner will emerge in the effort to replace first round draft pick Knowshon Moreno. Right now the plan is to use several tailbacks. Caleb King, who entered preseason practice as the No. 1, tailback, only rushed for 247 yards last season. He is very talented but does not have a luck on the job. King and freshman Carlton Thomas were the only healthy tailbacks in spring practice, but now the competition is more interesting with the return of Richard Samuel, Dontavius Jackson and Kalvin Daniels from injuries. A newcomer to watch is freshman Washaun Ealey , who set Georgia prep records for touchdown in a season (58) and career (133).

OKLAHOMA
Sooner coach Bob Stoops traveled to Tuscaloosa recently to talk shop with Nick Saban. It was a reunion of sorts since the two coaches go back several decades to their time in northern Ohio.

Everyone thinks that Arkansas could be a real sleeper this year, and there in lies the problem. The books know this, and will adjust the lines accordingly. When this happens, normally the best way to go is to grab a money line when they are a dog and look for an upset.

Ryan Mallet is the real deal imo, Ark should put up a lot of points this year

dont think their defense will be SEC caliber at all though

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

Romo, BD, Noob.
RYAN MALLETT looks like the real deal as Romo said. He had a good spring and can make all the throws. He is a big dude, 6'7" and around 260 pounds and should be able to take some hits. I don't know much about this kid behind him (Tyler Wilson) but they are also very high on him also. Petrino can coach quarterbacks. ARKANSAS as a team has plenty of experience back from a team that relied on 16 true freshmen in the depth chart last season. There are nine returnees with at least a handful of starts on offense and eleven who started on defense at times. For the Razorbacks to improve on last year's record, the defense must improve. It was last in the SEC last year. Also, Arkansas must play Alabama, Florida, Ole Miss and LSU on the road. Four pretty good teams to have to play in their house. The good part of the schedule is that four of the last five games are at home. My view is that the Razorbacks are going to have to score alot of points to win. The defense gave up 31 a game last season and most of the same players are back.

Arkansas should be getting some decent points at Mississippi. They will be coming off what will probably be a tail kicking at Florida. Mississippi will be home for the 3rd straight time and off of what should be a very easy win against UAB. This set's up very nicely for Arkansas, as they get Eastern Michigan at home the following week and have nothing to look ahead to. This is a game that we have circled, as we do not think that Mississippi is as good as most people think.

bracks7

EOG Member

Clover- You prob just have to wait for more points. I bet the NCST line the min it came out. It didn't last at 3 for over 3 hrs. I still see 3.5, but if you a couple of weeks, I think you can get 4.5 prob.

A lot has been said of Mallett. I will wit and see a it how he does vs. the SEC defenses. He ain't in the midwst anymore.

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

Bracks, seems like I'm the lone wolf on South Carolina. I'll take all the points I can get but believe the Gamecocks win straight up.

TENNESSEE
Lane Kiffin's promise to recruits that they'll get a chance to play early isn't a recruiting ploy. The new Tennessee coach wants to find out if there are championship caliber players among his freshman Vols. Several of the newcomers say the promise of an early shot at playing helped lure them to Tennessee, and they want to prove they deserve the chance. Tailback Bryce Brown and defensive back Janzen Jackson, both players who have practiced with the first team at times in the first week of preseason practice, say learning the playbook has been the hardest thing to adjust to in college. Tailback David Oku said he loves the speed of the college game. Kiffin said he likes the competition the freshmen bring to the team because it also makes the veterans play better.

ALABAMA
Sophomore wide receiver Julio Jones revealed Friday that he played most of the 2008 season with a sports hernia originally suffered in the fifth game of the season against Georgia. Nick Saban said Sunday that the Alabama medical staff was "proactive" in keeping the injury from getting worse. "I don't think he did anything to overstate it," Saban said. "He was tough, overcame a lot, has tremendous mental toughness and is a great competitor and plays with a lot of physical toughness, and he practiced all the time." Sounds like Saban's kind of player.

Three Alabama football players received their diplomas Saturday to complete their undergraduate studies. Quarterback Greg McElroy, defensive end Alonzo Washington and wide receiver Travis Skikes will join eight of their teammates who already hold degrees. McElroy, the starting QB, finished his undergrad degree in three years and compiled a 3.85 grade point average to graduate magna cum laude. "I made it a priority of mine to graduate in as short of an amount of time as possible, so I can focus on football and getting my masters degree in something that interests me." Always good to have a smart QB who also has talent.

AUBURN
Defensive Coordinator Ted Roof knows he needs to find depth in a hurry. He has six scholarship linebackers, two of whom are true freshmen. "It's our job to develop depth and certainly I think it's helped to split practices like we've been doing," Roof said. "We've gotten to take a good, long look at those kids. They get more reps that way. I think that will pay off and some of those guys will have to help us." Roof seemed pleased with the progress made by freshmen Jonathan Evans and Harris Gaston. He wants to see the newcomers in hitting mode before he commits to anything, though.

UNIVERSITY NORTH ALABAMA
This Division II school coached by new head coach Terry Bowden could almost field a Division I team. Adding to his 20 plus transfers is ex-Alabama defensive end Brandon Fanney. Fanney started 14 games for the Tide last season and was third on the team in tackles. Fanney said he met with Saban several times and had no hard feelings toward the Bama coach. The Lions also added former Florida State running back Jamal Edwards on Sunday. Edwards and Fanney will have one year of eligibility left.

Kiffin learned this from Pete Carroll. He has the advantage of having little or no talent on the offense, so Freshman do have a good chance of either starting or seeing substantial playing time as Freshman. That has it's plusses and minuses, but should help them in the long run. They need all the help they can get.

Auburn should be very quick at LB, but does not have a lot of size at that position. Having to replace both DT's means that the LB's are going to have to stop the run between the gaps. Auburn may be very vulnerable up the middle this year.

Kiffin learned this from Pete Carroll. He has the advantage of having little or no talent on the offense, so Freshman do have a good chance of either starting or seeing substantial playing time as Freshman. That has it's plusses and minuses, but should help them in the long run. They need all the help they can get.

Auburn should be very quick at LB, but does not have a lot of size at that position. Having to replace both DT's means that the LB's are going to have to stop the run between the gaps. Auburn may be very vulnerable up the middle this year.

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

BD, as someone who respects your football knowledge and someone who appreciates
your support of our gang....I want to ask a favor. Just relax and have fun here at EOG.
I know at CM you were hammered at every turn. Hell, I experienced that. You will be no
good to us on the bench. Our sorry asses have been there. Mo nailed us last year with
cause and that's no fun. I'm no angel at times but we are trying this year. Doesn't mean you have to take BS cause we won't...we're just trying not to cause the BS.
Help us out Bud.....you have a lot to offer here at EOG college football. Thanks........

your support of our gang....I want to ask a favor. Just relax and have fun here at EOG.
I know at CM you were hammered at every turn. Hell, I experienced that. You will be no
good to us on the bench. Our sorry asses have been there. Mo nailed us last year with
cause and that's no fun. I'm no angel at times but we are trying this year. Doesn't mean you have to take BS cause we won't...we're just trying not to cause the BS.
Help us out Bud.....you have a lot to offer here at EOG college football. Thanks........

Clover I can't agree more or thank you enough:cheers

Cloverleaf

EOG Dedicated

KENTUCKY
Head coach Rich Brooks has suspended center Jorge Gonzalez and wide receiver Aaron Boyd for violating team rules. Gonzalez will be suspended for the season opener against Miami (Ohio) on September 5th. Boyd has been suspended for one week of football activity. He will be eligible to return to the team Tuesday. Brooks did not comment on the nature of the violations. Sophomore linebacker Danny Trevathan also will miss practice Wednesday to attend his grandfather's funeral. He will return Thursday.

MEMPHIS STATE
Opposing coaches have spent time this off season trying to figure out what the Tigers will look like this season. No one's sure what to expect with so many transfers figuring to get significant playing time this year. Even Memphis coach Tommy West has little idea. West recruited most of these guys originally, but they all chose larger programs. Each washed out for some reason., and West hopes they got it right the second time around. Sure, the Tigers have been to bowls in five of the past six years, but that's no longer enough. All the transfers are the first part of West's 2-year-old plan to upgrade Memphis' talent level and play for a championship.

SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI
Southern Mississippi's coaches and players say it's simple: Play the best defense and win Conference USA. You know all about Damion Fletcher, DeAndre Brown and all of coach Larry Fedora's offensive weapons. If the Golden Eagles are going to contend for a championship this year, though, their defense will need to build a reputation. Middle linebacker Korey Williams say the Eagles want to field a defense that other teams "fear". Fedora has put alot of energy into remaking his defense in the 18 months since he was hired. The team returns eight starters from a unit that led Southern Miss' season ending five game win streak last season. A win over Troy in the New Orleans Bowl gave the team a 7-6 finish and 15th straight winning season.

PRESEASON PRACTICE RULES
The NCAA allows teams 40 practices before their first game and has several other rules regulating these workouts. Here is a sampling:
*Rosters may include no more than 105 players before classes start.
*Teams may not practice in full pads before completing a five day acclamation period. Practice time also can't exceed three hours during this period.
*Teams may not hold two-a-day practices on consecutive days and players may not spend more than five hours on the field during those days with multiple practice sessions.
*On days including multiple practices, players need to be given at least three hours of continuous recovery time between on field worksouts. Within that three hour window, they are also not allowed to participate in any team meeting aor any other "athletically related activities."

VIRGINIA TECH
The Hokies lose starting tailback Dareen Evans to a knee injury. The redshirt freshman will miss the season after Tuesday's injury team trainer Make Goforth said. Evans will have reconstructive surgery as soon as possible to allow him to get started on rehabilitation before classes begin. Evans started eight games last season but led the team with 1265 yards and scored 11 touchdowns. He set a scool record with 253 rushing yards in a victory against Maryland and was named MVP of the Orange Bowl after gaining 153 yards. His loss means that redshirt freshman Ryan Williams, Josh Oglesby or highly regarded freshman David Wilson will be the starter. Only Oglesby has carried the ball in a game. Having a first start against that Alabama defense could be a difficult one.

Thanks for your concern Clover. I understand perfectly. I know what you mean. I will take that into consideration. I will also take into consideration what we are dealing with in here. I just wish that people in here would stick to wagering, and forget all the other stuff that they throw on the board. No one cares to see things that they can find themselves.

Blondie

EOG Master

Perfect example of the posters handling the direction of the forum

Posts such as this are why we often do not have a lot to moderate around here

Thank you Clover 91023i2ndw;l