Detroit Lions 2023 Season Thread

Dell Dude

EOG Master
The year Kunt Warner won his first Super Show with the Lambs, I think the Lions beat them at homedog to go 6-2 which was same record as Lambs. The rest. As they say. This feels like history repeating.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Date Opponent Result Record Attendance

1 September 12 at Seattle Seahawks W 28–20 1–0
2 September 19 Green Bay Packers W 23–15 2–0

3 September 26 at Kansas City Chiefs L 21–31 2–1
4 Bye
5 October 10 San Diego Chargers L 10–20 2–2
6 October 17 Minnesota Vikings W 25–23 3–2
7 October 24 at Carolina Panthers W 24–9 4–2
8 October 31 Tampa Bay Buccaneers W 20–3 5–2
9 November 7 St. Louis Rams W 31–27 6–2

10 November 14 at Arizona Cardinals L 19–23 6–3
11 November 21 at Green Bay Packers L 17–26 6–4

12 November 25 Chicago Bears W 21–17 7–4
13 December 5 Washington Redskins W 33–17 8–4

14 December 12 at Tampa Bay Buccaneers L 16–23 8–5
15 December 19 at Chicago Bears L 10–28 8–6
16 December 25 Denver Broncos L 7–17 8–7
17 January 2 at Minnesota Vikings L 17–24 8–8

Heim

EOG Master
This doesn't look like the same team that beat KC in the opener. I wonder if they started to believe all the hype?

kane

EOG master
Lions D not good enough to cut down the nets, but if I were a Lions fan I would look big picture, where this franchise was a couple years ago and where they are now, clearly headed in the right direction regardless of how this season turns out

blueline

EOG Master
Lion defense was never going to be a shutdown defense....issue is on offense and whats going on with the offensive line....how do they only have 6 points at halftime against that defense

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
The last 2 games, turnovers all by Goff have been lethal. 3 int's vs Chicago and 3 lost fumbles today. Despite that, we were in it until the failed fake punt on our own 28 gave the ball away. Could not overcome that.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Be best: 5-1, 13-4

@ Saints W
@ Bears W
vs Broncos W
@ Vikings W
@ Cowboys L
vs Vikings W

Be most likely: 3-3, 11-6

@ Saints L
@ Bears W
vs Broncos W
@ Vikings L
@ Cowboys L
vs Vikings W

Be worse and worse: 1-5, 9-8

@ Saints L
@ Bears W
vs Broncos L
@ Vikings L
@ Cowboys L
vs Vikings L

Dell Dude

EOG Master
I will tell you what, Mr Bowling. That's a pretty tough play us out. They had better split the next two road games because there is no guarantee they win after that.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

Why do the Detroit Lions play on Thanksgiving every year?​

ALLEN PARK -- Why do the Detroit Lions always play on Thanksgiving?

Go ahead, admit it. You’ve asked that question, too. The Lions have been invited to America’s Thanksgiving table for as long as most of us can remember, and while there were some good teams and games along the way, there were a lot of really bad ones too. Yet the Lions have continued to host the annual holiday game every year since 1934, except for the World War II era.

So, why is that? To find the answer to that oft-asked question, you have to go all the way back to 1934, and a radio executive named G.A. Richards who decided to buy the Portsmouth Spartans football club for $15,000. He immediately moved the team to Detroit, where the Tigers -- who were amid back-to-back trips to the World Series -- were the big show in town.

Richards wanted to juice up interest in the new football team, which he renamed the Lions, and conjured an idea so out-of-the-box that many thought it would be a flop.

Not only would the Lions host a game on a Thursday, but Thanksgiving Day? Really?

“It was considered a huge risk,” Lions team historian Bill Keenist said. “I mean, people thought he was crazy. ‘Are you kidding me? You’re going to play an NFL game on Thanksgiving? Let alone on a Thursday? Are you kidding me?’”

Thing is, it worked.

The Lions drew 25,000 fans for the inaugural Thanksgiving game at University of Detroit Stadium, nearly double their season average, while another 15,000 were turned away at the gates. More crucially, Richards was able to use his media connections to secure a national radio broadcast, a first in the history of the NFL. The game was carried on 94 stations from coast- to coast, providing the burgeoning league with its grandest stage to date.

The Lions lost 19-16 against Chicago that day, but a tradition was born.

“From that point forward, I don’t think there’s a greater (holiday) tradition in all of sports than the Lions on Thanksgiving,” Keenist said. “It’s morphed into football on Thanksgiving, and it wouldn’t be there if the Lions hadn’t taken the chance, rolled the dice a little bit, and hit it. ... It’s just such an incredibly special day for Michigan and Detroit.”

Almost 90 years later, the Lions have become nearly as synonymous with Thanksgiving as turkey and stuffing. Of course, they’ve been stuffed a few times too. They haven’t won a division title since 1993 and a playoff game since 1991, and their prolonged struggles have sometimes been exposed on the national stage. They’ve now lost six straight games on the holiday for which they’re known, and are 37-44-2 overall.

No matter how bad things got, the Lions were always served on Thanksgiving, whether anyone actually wanted to watch them or not. There have been occasional rumors about whether the Lions should continue to hold the 12:30 p.m. slot on Thanksgiving, although aside from a proposal by the Kansas City Chiefs in 1994 that went nowhere, Detroit’s place on the Thanksgiving menu has never been threatened.

“Bill Ford made an impassioned speech to ownership,” Keenist said, “and I’m not even sure if it went to a vote after Bill talked.”

This year, you won’t hear complaints about the Lions playing on Thanksgiving. The Lions (8-2) have captured the nation’s attention under Dan Campbell, and turned an offseason hype machine into a 2.5-game lead in the NFC North. With a charismatic head coach and dynamic offense that is among the best in the game, Detroit -- now off to its best start since 1962 -- has become one of the darlings of the young season.

Now they host the rival Green Bay Packers with a chance to tighten their grip on a division they have never won -- and do it on the big Thanksgiving stage, providing a showcase opportunity for one of the league’s best young teams.

For a guy like left tackle Taylor Decker, who is one of just two guys on the roster who have actually won with the Lions on Thanksgiving, and the only guy left who has been around for the duration of all the struggles since, this moment means a lot.

“We want people to see us,” Decker said. “I remember when people didn’t want to watch us, and it sucked. As much work as you put in, you want people to see you play. It’s our life. It’s all we do. It’s just special that people want to see us play. It’s special that we’re getting flexed, and people want to see the Lions. I’ve said this a million times, because I’ve been on the flip side of it, where people didn’t want to watch us play.

“It’s weird, and definitely something I don’t take for granted. It’s a privilege that people want to see us play.”

This year’s edition of the Thanksgiving game rekindles one of the oldest traditions in the series. Detroit hosted Green Bay every Thanksgiving from 1951-63, an era that was often dominated by those two teams. The 1953 game was the first game played on national TV, and the nation saw Detroit dump the Packers 34-15 en route to an NFL championship.

Detroit beat Green Bay nine times in 11 years during that stretch, and delivered perhaps the best Thanksgiving performance ever in 1962. The Packers were 10-0 at the time and had won 12 straight games overall, including the 1961 NFL championship game. Then they made their way across Lake Michigan and got pasted by Detroit at Tiger Stadium, falling behind 26-0 and ultimately losing 26-14.

Sacks were a long way from becoming an official statistic, but Detroit pummeled Hall-of-Fame quarterback Bart Starr nine times in the backfield. With that, legendary Packers coach Vince Lombardi had seen enough and petitioned the league to pull the plug on Green Bay’s annual pilgrimage to Detroit on Thanksgiving.

”The big reason I’m against it is because four days is not enough time to get ready for a game,” Lombardi told reporters at Tiger Stadium.

Uh-huh. Sure, coach. The travel.

The Lions and Packers met once more in 1963, battling each other to a 13-all tie, then called it quits on their annual Thanksgiving series. They didn’t play each other again on the holiday for another 20 years, and have still played each other just eight times since, most recently a 40-10 triumph by Detroit in 2013.

That gave the Lions a division lead heading into the final month of the season.

This year, they hope to tighten their grip on the division lead heading into the final month of the season -- and this time, finish the deal.

“It’s special obviously for this organization, because it’s such a staple,” Decker said. “It’s something we’ve done forever. And I feel like everybody in America is watching us on Thanksgiving. That’s an American thing. I remember watching (when I was a kid in Ohio), too. Now getting to be a part of it, until recently, it was our only opportunity to play on a national stage. That was always special. It’s a cool thing, and this year, yeah, it’s really cool.”

Nice write up
If Lions own the TB, #1 seed with Eagles loss.

Heim

EOG Master
The only thing worse than the Lions yesterday was the halftime show by Jack Harlow.....who?

Dell Dude

EOG Master
I will post it. I don't believe that was the real Dolly Parton. They had fun with a Dolly clone. You are naive if you think the AI technology hasn't reached this point.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
I believe that may be the Super Show matchup. Tomorrow I will bet it again along with a longshot Ohio State playoff scenario.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Broncos are doing their part. Can the Lions? Crucial and telling game Sunday. They need to bounce back and show they are for real.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated

Resilient Detroit Lions honor Dan Campbell’s trust by refusing to lose consecutive games​

NEW ORLEANS — How many times can we talk about the Detroit Lions’ resilience? How many times do we have to cite their ability to respond to adversity or simply their ability to bounce back from a bad loss?

Well, at least one more time, because Sunday was all about resilience after the Lions beat the New Orleans Saints, 33-28, in a game that shouldn’t have been that close. And yet they found a way to win and improved their record to 6-0 following a loss (dating to the middle of last season).

And as frustrating as it was to watch the Lions cruise to a 21-0 and then nearly blow it all with the offense stalling and the defense unable to account for the Saints’ halftime adjustments, you have to give this team its due.

Because just imagine if they’d lost to a 5-6 Saints team, after losing to a 4-6 Packers team on Thanksgiving. You don’t have to imagine, because I’ll tell you exactly what would be happening right now back in Detroit: Alarms would be blaring. Cats would be sleeping with dogs. The sky would be falling.

And worst of all, the faith in this team at 8-4 would be severely compromised, rather than validated at 9-3.
The Lions would deserve that criticism. Just the way they deserve the praise for finding a way to win when we’ve seen so many times over the years how this team has done the opposite, finding a way to lose and then lose and lose some more to scuttle a promising season.

That the Lions haven’t lost consecutive games since they fell to Dallas, 24-6, and then to Miami, 31-27, in late October 2022 speaks volumes about the way general manager Brad Holmes has constructed this team and the way head coach Dan Campbell has guided it.

Campbell was asked about resilience and whether he believes it’s a hallmark of this team.

“I think that's what this league is all about,” he said after the game, “you know, I think the teams that are able to respond after you lose a tough one.

“To me, it's not easy to gain confidence in losses. But I think you have to be able to do that because you understand your own errors. You understand what you have to clean up and then you don't want to lose that way again, or like that again, or from that again.”

Campbell said he wasn’t surprised his team bounced back, considering the coaches and players he has. But part of the reason the team bounced back was because of Campbell’s ability to negotiate the workload in practice last week. It’s a tricky thing to get the most out of practice this late in the season, when bodies are bruised and battered. Yet Campbell did it by opening the throttle just enough.

“I'm not surprised, man, and I will tell you that some of the best practices we've had all year was what we had the last three days,” he said. “I mean, it was it was competitive. It was intense. It was firing and look, we can't always do that.”

What Campbell saw from his players in practice was surely part of the reason he put his trust in them when things didn’t start off right at the Superdome. The Lions lost the coin toss, started on offense and took a false-start penalty when Jonah Jackson, playing for the first time in a while, jumped early on a run play.

Campbell told the offense it would start with three consecutive run plays. But after botching the first one, offensive lineman Graham Glasgow thought that might change facing first-and-15.

“I thought he was going to call a pass play right after that,” Glasgow said, “after he told us that he was going to call three straight runs for us.
“And he didn't. And I was like, 'All right, we're in business.' ”

The Lions rewarded their coaches’ trust with a touchdown drive. Then it was the defense’s turn to prove itself with a rare takeaway: Brian Branch’s interception of Derek Carr on the Saints’ first play. Three plays later, the Lions were up, 14-0.

Of course, they needed that kind of headstart, because the Saints made their own adjustments at halftime.

But the Lions also had to deal with losing center Frank Ragnow to a knee injury early in the second quarter. Glasgow stepped in without missing a beat, then made sure to give rookie Colby Sorsdal all the credit for replacing him at right guard.

It was another demonstration of the importance of resilience.

“Dan talks about it all the time,” quarterback Jared Goff said. “I mean, within our building we know what's right and what's wrong, what we need to get better at, what didn't work. We don't ride the roller coaster.

“It's just one game after another and it's a testament to (Campbell) and our team of being able to understand when losses happened that you know what are the points to improve and emphasize on. And then, you know, typically you get a better result next time.”

That’s exactly what happened. Jackson’s false start didn’t turn into a penalty on the next play. The offense found the end zone again in the fourth quarter, the defense stopped the Saints on fourth down after that, and Goff hit Sam LaPorta on third-and-7 for a first down to seal the game.

Sometimes I don’t know what to make of the Lions. A 9-3 record is impressive, but they’re jockeying for the top seed in the NFC. That means they deserve to be judged against a higher standard — one that makes it hard to foresee them beating teams such as the Philadelphia Eagles and San Francisco 49ers.

But success isn’t always foreseeable, especially to outsiders. A coach’s trust and his players’ commitment are internal factors that the rest of us can only judge when we look at the final score.

Contact Carlos Monarrez: cmonarrez@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @cmonarrez.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
Dell Dude: Does Leyland go in to the HOF as a Tiger, Pirate or Marlin? His one year w/ the Rockies doesn't count, lol.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated

Pat Caputo: Lions at their best when it matters most​

A dozen games into the NFL season, we know what the Lions are.

Their offense is somewhat inconsistent, the defense often a sieve and the hit-or-miss aspect of Dan Campbell’s tendency to roll the dice unnerving.

Yet, one aspect triumphs over all. In moments that decide games, the Lions are clutch.

Sunday’s 33-28 victory over New Orleans was a classic example why the Lions are 9-3 and well on the way to capturing their first division title since 1993.

Obviously, they were ready to play. The 21-0 lead midway through the first quarter spoke volumes about how the Lions reacted to the dismal Thanksgiving Day loss.

Little goes as planned in the wacky NFL, however. The Saints, who have been a disaster in the scoring zone most of the season, started to completely scorch the Lions’ defense, while Detroit’s offense inexplicably began to flounder.

In the end, though, when the Lions really needed a first down to secure a precarious lead, quarterback Jared Goff, turning his biggest weakness, a lack of elusiveness, somehow into a strength, scrambled and found Josh Reynolds for the game-clinching first down.

Now, some may say the Lions were more lucky than good. A lot of “what if’s.” What if the Saints didn’t hand the ball to the Lions for a short scoring drive in the second half? What if Saints’ QB Derek Carr wasn’t forced from the game after being pile driven by recently-acquired veteran defensive end Bruce Irvin?

Carr had completed 15 straight passes, and Jameis Winston came in slinging the football with incredible inaccuracy, considering his experience.

But the Saints got a few breaks, too, particularly the tipped pass by Winston that set up their final TD.

The Lions deserved this win because of the manner they started, the exceptional ability of rookie tight end Sam Laporta, the wisdom to suit up Irvin, who also had a sack, and not turning the ball over.

Also, for adjusting. It was supposed to be a low-scoring, grind-it-out game, and it was anything but. The Lions have won 17 of their last 22 games in many different ways. They are resilient, deep and well-coached.

We saw why again Sunday in New Orleans.

boston massacre

EOG Master

Pat Caputo: Lions at their best when it matters most​

A dozen games into the NFL season, we know what the Lions are.

Their offense is somewhat inconsistent, the defense often a sieve and the hit-or-miss aspect of Dan Campbell’s tendency to roll the dice unnerving.

Yet, one aspect triumphs over all. In moments that decide games, the Lions are clutch.

Sunday’s 33-28 victory over New Orleans was a classic example why the Lions are 9-3 and well on the way to capturing their first division title since 1993.

Obviously, they were ready to play. The 21-0 lead midway through the first quarter spoke volumes about how the Lions reacted to the dismal Thanksgiving Day loss.

Little goes as planned in the wacky NFL, however. The Saints, who have been a disaster in the scoring zone most of the season, started to completely scorch the Lions’ defense, while Detroit’s offense inexplicably began to flounder.

In the end, though, when the Lions really needed a first down to secure a precarious lead, quarterback Jared Goff, turning his biggest weakness, a lack of elusiveness, somehow into a strength, scrambled and found Josh Reynolds for the game-clinching first down.

Now, some may say the Lions were more lucky than good. A lot of “what if’s.” What if the Saints didn’t hand the ball to the Lions for a short scoring drive in the second half? What if Saints’ QB Derek Carr wasn’t forced from the game after being pile driven by recently-acquired veteran defensive end Bruce Irvin?

Carr had completed 15 straight passes, and Jameis Winston came in slinging the football with incredible inaccuracy, considering his experience.

But the Saints got a few breaks, too, particularly the tipped pass by Winston that set up their final TD.

The Lions deserved this win because of the manner they started, the exceptional ability of rookie tight end Sam Laporta, the wisdom to suit up Irvin, who also had a sack, and not turning the ball over.

Also, for adjusting. It was supposed to be a low-scoring, grind-it-out game, and it was anything but. The Lions have won 17 of their last 22 games in many different ways. They are resilient, deep and well-coached.

We saw why again Sunday in New Orleans.

Would Like To See Them Face San Fran in Playoffs.

San Fran Has Beaten Dallas and Philly By a Combined Score of 84-29.

San Fran is also 10-0 When Christian McCaffrey and OT Trent Williams are Both in The Lineup.

Valuist

EOG Master
Fields is gonna run all over Detroit this Sunday. In the last 2 seasons, Fields has rushed for over 100 yards in all 3 games.