Female refs got to go

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Updating the phrase, "Sometimes the best man for the job is a woman" to now read, "Sometimes the best man for the job is a woman identifying as a man."

Now I'm getting confused.

Woodrow Wilson

EOG Dedicated
John Parry from the NFL who now works TV as the officiating expert had a father named Dave who was a big time Big Ten referee and he also worked in the NFL.

When speaking about officiating, JK likes to believe the fairness fairy tales, but unfortunately the truth about how it actually happens is anything but that.

These are big money jobs now, so the amount of cronyism and nepotism will only increase. Some of the quota hires among the females and black guys, might catch a break as outsiders, but that's about it.

Woodrow Wilson

EOG Dedicated
Of course.

There are biases, prejudices, etc. that influence hiring processes everywhere.

Will you agree nepotism among the controlling class dominated the officiating ranks for years?

Hire the best officials regardless of sex, race, religion, lineage, etc.

Are you saying not one woman is qualified to officiate an NFL game?

That she's not worthy of making the roster of some 120 NFL officials.

If that's the case, then so be it.

I count only two among the list of NFL officials right now.

Sarah Thomas and Maia Chaka

Yes, it has been like this for a long time and it will only increase, mostly because these are big money jobs now.

I have not said there aren't women who are qualified to officiate NFL games. However, to maintain consistency here, you want only the best qualified hired and working games...not merely qualified.

I will say that I don't believe there are any who would be graded among the best qualified...or specifically among top 120 football officials nationwide.

I've seen Sarah Thomas a few times and she does ok. I've seen Maia Chaka one game this season and she looked completely lost on the sideline.

Changing the subject to basketball, I've seen and worked with female officials at the varsity high school level who were very good. Despite it being girls basketball, I feel they maybe could've handled boys games.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I like to think officials are trying their level-best to make the right calls.

Some are inept (Angel Hernandez) and a few are corrupt (Tim Donaghy), but the vast majority of people attracted to the profession are honest adjudicators.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
And I understand the powerful network associated with big-money officiating jobs.

I think a similar privileged network applies to coaching jobs as well.

Last edited:

railbird

EOG Master
I like to think officials are trying their level-best to make the right calls.

Some are inept (Angel Hernandez) and a few are corrupt (Tim Donaghy), but the vast majority of people attracted to the profession are honest adjudicators.
Donaghay is one of the most honest people there is if you listen to his interviews.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Donaghay is one of the most honest people there is if you listen to his interviews.

I thought Tim Donaghy was fortunate to be assigned a clueless FBI investigator.

Donaghy duped Phil Scala to avoid more serious jail time.

1635831948642.png

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Donaghy likely is/was only the tip of the iceberg.

NBA commish David Stern was quick to label Tim Donaghy as a "rogue official" and later a "singing cooperating witness" when the gambling scandal broke in 2007.

Damage control at its best.

Every time I see Ed Malloy officiating an NBA game, I think about Tim Donaghy.

Donaghy and Malloy attended the same high school at about the same time and the two often spoke on the phone before and after NBA games.

They once joked they would enter the Main Event of the World Series of Poker and arrive at the Rio with their referees' jackets on.

1635870740053.png

Woodrow Wilson

EOG Dedicated
I realize that JK wants to believe in Santa Claus type stuff regarding widespread referee corruption. However, it should become clearer for those who remain in doubt upon realizing Bennett Salvatore now works at the league office.

Within the NBA, the fox really is guarding the hen house.

I assume it's pervasive throughout sports where gambling is prevalent.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!
One thing I've noticed the women refs are better at than the men in football is spotting the ball. Not sure if that's selective memory or what but i feel like they nail it most of the time on the tough ones.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
One thing I've noticed the women refs are better at than the men in football is spotting the ball. Not sure if that's selective memory or what but i feel like they nail it most of the time on the tough ones.

Interesting.

I appreciate the quick recognition of first downs.

The chain gang rarely comes out on the field anymore.