For those trashing the Bears and their win... (Cutler bashers too)

JavyBaez9

EOG Master
Re: For those trashing the Bears and their win... (Cutler bashers too)

Russel Wilson might be a product of a system but is that a bad thing? I remeber a scrip named Dilfer Won the SB with the Ravens and they dropped him before the next season for a stat guy in Grback (sp) and that didnt go as well.....

I fail to see your point. I think I could name 20 QBs that win the super bowl for Seattle last year, comfortably. When your team is significantly better than any other team, especially defensively, your job as a QB isn't hard.

Think about it this way... for Seattle last year, they were so good, that a punt was almost seen as a win for the offense. Hell, their defense was so good that they'd either pick it off or force a fumble or get the ball right back anyway.

When you're on a team with a terrible defense like the 2013 Chicago Bears, a punt is the worst thing in the world because the other team is going to get the ball, jam it down your throat, and then you'll get the ball back, yet in a worse position than you were.

Teddy kgb

Banned

Sure you could name 20 QB's that you think would win the SB in Wilson's place but that and a buck gets you a cup of coffee.....many a folk think a stat guy could just step in a do the same as a game manager and Grbck (once again sp lol) proved its not that easy...

Would one of the 20 have been Peyton Manning? Dan Marino? Dan Fouts?.....I like Cutler but I also like Wilson too..and a little more because he has the bling

High Times

EOG Master

All you're doing is echoing pointless drivel opinions from ESPN talking heads.

Romo and Cutler are both underrated by stupid NFL fans. Romo could win a title this year for all you know.

That's where you are 100% wrong.... I don't watch ESPN except when a game is on. I don't watch highlights on any channel either.

My opinion is 100% mine......

High Times

EOG Master

I assume you think Russell Wilson is an elite QB... yet, when he was forced to make plays playing from behind against the Cowboys, he looked like shit. What a surprise.

I think Russell is an above average College Quarterback. He is simply in the right place at the right time... Like Tom Brady was .... If Drew Bledsoe never gets hurt Tom Brady might never have started an NFL game in his career....

Russell Wilson is a product of his system.

He is the product of being in the right place at the right time. Nothing more,,, Nothing less.

Do you REALLY think Cutler would turn the ball over a shit ton if he had a top 5 NFL defense behind him? It is pointless to tell me that you're sure that he would, when he's never had a highly ranked defense. 2010 was probably his best defense... definitely not good enough to sit back and let the defense win games.

That is how he plays ... so yes! Why would I think he wouldn't?

:cheers

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Sure you could name 20 QB's that you think would win the SB in Wilson's place but that and a buck gets you a cup of coffee.....many a folk think a stat guy could just step in a do the same as a game manager and Grbck (once again sp lol) proved its not that easy...

Would one of the 20 have been Peyton Manning? Dan Marino? Dan Fouts?.....I like Cutler but I also like Wilson too..and a little more because he has the bling

Only hamburgers blame and credit the QB for everything that happens. Hell, i'll tell you a story that hopefully gets my point across.

I played in a flag football league last year... pretty serious league, lots of athletes out there. My team was really good, had two fast tall WR's and we played good defense, picked off most passes deep. It was really easy playing QB for that team. Rarely threw interceptions. I probably looked incredible.

Flash forward to this year, same league, except I joined a team with some of my friends in school with me (these guys are not very athletic). I play QB for this team as well, and I throw interceptions all of the time because nobody gets open, everyone is slow, and people drop balls right to them anyway so I'm forced into 3rd and longs and 4th and longs.

Two different teams, same game, same league, yet I look great on one team and terrible on another.

That example, while obviously just a silly little flag football league, is exactly what you see in the NFL, just on a higher scale. Teams make or break QB impressions. I promise you of this. Much more than you or most people understand.

High Times

EOG Master

Two different teams, same game, same league, yet I look great on one team and terrible on another.

That example, while obviously just a silly little flag football league, is exactly what you see in the NFL, just on a higher scale. Teams make or break QB impressions. I promise you of this. Much more than you or most people understand.

Wow how do you know all this super special knowledge that nobody else knows about....?

The team around you can make you look good or bad............

Is this a new thing?

:lol

richsox24

EOG Master

Just heard something funny on Chicago radio this morning. Jay Cutler said that he classifies himself as a "take what the defense gives him" type of quarterback. I must have been watching a different team all these years.

I fail to see your point. I think I could name 20 QBs that win the super bowl for Seattle last year, comfortably. When your team is significantly better than any other team, especially defensively, your job as a QB isn't hard.

Think about it this way... for Seattle last year, they were so good, that a punt was almost seen as a win for the offense. Hell, their defense was so good that they'd either pick it off or force a fumble or get the ball right back anyway.

When you're on a team with a terrible defense like the 2013 Chicago Bears, a punt is the worst thing in the world because the other team is going to get the ball, jam it down your throat, and then you'll get the ball back, yet in a worse position than you were.

a bit of an exaggeration

seattle fumbled the ball away more times than they recovered a fumble last year (18 to 17). they got 28 interceptions on the season but gave up 282 first downs, so one pick for every 10 first downs and every 100 yards of passing...

seattle got 307 first downs and gave up 282, good stats but not complete dominance on every possession

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

a bit of an exaggeration

seattle fumbled the ball away more times than they recovered a fumble last year (18 to 17). they got 28 interceptions on the season but gave up 282 first downs, so one pick for every 10 first downs and every 100 yards of passing...

seattle got 307 first downs and gave up 282, good stats but not complete dominance on every possession

You're missing the point. Some offenses are asked to score 30 to win, some are asked to chew clock and not fuck it up. Seattle is definitely the latter.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

Just heard something funny on Chicago radio this morning. Jay Cutler said that he classifies himself as a "take what the defense gives him" type of quarterback. I must have been watching a different team all these years.
Who said that? That has never been his style.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

I don't remember the injuries for that game but the Bears have been hurt all year. All 3 starting LBs and Conte are OUT. Add that to Tillman being on the IR. 5 starters are OUT on D this week.

Marshall and Jeffery had a hard time running for a couple of games and they were missing two starters on the OL for games.

In the Car game, the Bears turned the ball over on their last 3 possessions. There was also that strange punt that went for a TD.

Carolina's top 4 WR's all left after last year and their big FA signing was Jeremy Cotchery. They were without their top 3 RB's for the Bears game because of injuries. This has nothing to do with Cutler as much as how Newton could put up 27 with no weapons at all. If that was Cutler, I would hear all day how he has nothing to work with.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Carolina's top 4 WR's all left after last year and their big FA signing was Jeremy Cotchery. They were without their top 3 RB's for the Bears game because of injuries. This has nothing to do with Cutler as much as how Newton could put up 27 with no weapons at all. If that was Cutler, I would hear all day how he has nothing to work with.

lol 'put up 27' you got 7 off a punt return mishap.

You're missing the point. Some offenses are asked to score 30 to win, some are asked to chew clock and not fuck it up. Seattle is definitely the latter.

sounds good in theory but i work in numbers. their average time of possession last year was 30:32, would've been below their opponents if you back out kneel downs.

this season seattle's time of possession is 29:17 per game, good for 21st in the nfl.

russell wilson is a better qb than cutler. despite cutler's talent and power arm, no matter what defense he has he consistently trails wilson in passer rating, interceptions chucked up, etc. partly because he doesn't have the mobility or threat of mobility, and partly because he's a choker

richsox24

EOG Master

^^^ I agree. People who say that Wilson is just asked to manage a game must not be watching him play. He does far more than manage a game. He rarely makes a mistake and without looking at numbers, I'd guess his qb rating is among the top 5 in the league (and higher than Cutlers) with far less weapons.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

sounds good in theory but i work in numbers. their average time of possession last year was 30:32, would've been below their opponents if you back out kneel downs.

this season seattle's time of possession is 29:17 per game, good for 21st in the nfl.

russell wilson is a better qb than cutler. despite cutler's talent and power arm, no matter what defense he has he consistently trails wilson in passer rating, interceptions chucked up, etc. partly because he doesn't have the mobility or threat of mobility, and partly because he's a choker

This is nothing more than an opinion. Wilson isn't asked to do much. He was asked to lead them back from a deficit against Dallas and looked like a high school QB.

And did you really just say Cutler didn't have the mobility or threat of mobility? Ahhhh, so now we understand... you don't really know football. Got it. Moving on.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

^^^ I agree. People who say that Wilson is just asked to manage a game must not be watching him play. He does far more than manage a game. He rarely makes a mistake and without looking at numbers, I'd guess his qb rating is among the top 5 in the league (and higher than Cutlers) with far less weapons.

:LMAO

Teams that almost never play from behind will have QBs with higher QB ratings. I'm going to let this thread die. Some of you idiots really don't understand the game of football at all and it is kind of embarrassing.

This is nothing more than an opinion. Wilson isn't asked to do much. He was asked to lead them back from a deficit against Dallas and looked like a high school QB.

And did you really just say Cutler didn't have the mobility or threat of mobility? Ahhhh, so now we understand... you don't really know football. Got it. Moving on.

of course it's an opinion

and why can't we have a discussion without condescending bullshit like this. i said cutler didn't have the mobility that russell wilson does, not sure why that would mean that i don't know football.

cutler had 118 yards rushing last year, wilson had 539

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

"Miami’s penchant for man-to-man coverage in passing situations is fine by the Bears. Trestman and Kromer have asked Cutler to start utilizing his underrated mobility to make teams pay when situations warrant.

Through the first six games, Cutler has broken off seven runs for gains of 10 yards or more."

Milwaukee Mike, I've respected your opinion in the past... but honestly, you saying Cutler has no mobility or no threat of mobility may be the dumbest thing ever posted on the internet. The only way you could have that opinion is if you have literally never watched Cutler play. His mobility is extremely underrated and that can be proven statistically in any way you prefer.

Guys... you're chiming in on this opinion of QB play and Cutler when you know NOTHING about football, nothing about QBs, and nothing in general. I don't get it.

Milwaukee Mike... you just said Cutler wasn't mobile and had no threat of mobility. Wouldn't it be safe to say that horribly inaccurate opinion completely makes your opinion useless?

Most of the Cutler haters in this thread are so clueless that they shouldn't have an opinion on ANY QB, much less be rating them and ranking them compared to each other.

ttaylor89

EOG Dedicated

Javy, who do you consider Mobile QB's in the league now?

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

You said no mobility and no threat of mobility.

Like I said man, some of you people are so dumb that discussing football with you is like discussing biology with an ant.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Javy, who do you consider Mobile QB's in the league now?

It's a moronic question because it is too broad. There are scramblers, there are QBs who are extremely mobile in the pocket which opens up the playbook, and then there are statues like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

ttaylor89

EOG Dedicated

Javy, name some of the Cutler haters in this thread?

You said no mobility and no threat of mobility.

Like I said man, some of you people are so dumb that discussing football with you is like discussing biology with an ant.

re-read my statement

i didn't say no mobility and no threat of mobility

i said he doesn't have the mobility or threat of mobility as wilson

despite cutler's talent and power arm, no matter what defense he has he consistently trails wilson in passer rating, interceptions chucked up, etc. partly because he doesn't have the mobility or threat of mobility

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Cutler has better arm strength than Wilson.
Cutler also throws off his back leg probably better than anyone in the NFL. It might be bad to do so consistently, but sometimes, the situation calls for it.

Obviously Wilson is more mobile than Cutler. Cutler is huge. Wilson is a midget by NFL standards. Same for Brees and Rodgers... Obviously a 6''3-6"4 guy isn't going to be scrambling around like 5''11 midgets like Wilson. It's just not possible.

Cutler does have a ton of mobility though. I've seen him scramble in the pocket and avoid the pass rush more than just about anyone. Even those Bears' offensive line problems in 2009 that had Cutler lead the league in sacks, the numbers would have been 3 times as bad without Cutler's mobility.

ttaylor89

EOG Dedicated

It's a moronic question because it is too broad. There are scramblers, there are QBs who are extremely mobile in the pocket which opens up the playbook, and then there are statues like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

Manning is a statue? I've always thought Manning was one of the best at stepping up in the pocket and hitting the short underneath route. Granted, I've never seen him take off for a 15 yard run. But I coulda sworn I've seen him multiple times see a pocket collapse and him step up and make a pass. ughhh.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Manning is a statue? I've always thought Manning was one of the best at stepping up in the pocket and hitting the short underneath route. Granted, I've never seen him take off for a 15 yard run. But I coulda sworn I've seen him multiple times see a pocket collapse and him step up and make a pass. ughhh.

Manning is a statue by almost any standard. He always has been. He's probably the slowest and least agile QB in the NFL.

Manning gets rid of the ball before the pass rush even has time to get to him. That's the only thing that keeps him alive. It is a good thing, obviously, but Manning would have literally been killed in 2009 if he was in Chicago.

Cutler has better arm strength than Wilson.
Cutler also throws off his back leg probably better than anyone in the NFL. It might be bad to do so consistently, but sometimes, the situation calls for it.

Obviously Wilson is more mobile than Cutler. Cutler is huge. Wilson is a midget by NFL standards. Same for Brees and Rodgers... Obviously a 6''3-6"4 guy isn't going to be scrambling around like 5''11 midgets like Wilson. It's just not possible.

Cutler does have a ton of mobility though. I've seen him scramble in the pocket and avoid the pass rush more than just about anyone. Even those Bears' offensive line problems in 2009 that had Cutler lead the league in sacks, the numbers would have been 3 times as bad without Cutler's mobility.

agreed

and i really don't want to bash cutler, i just think with his arm strength and talent he should be better. and he has always come across as kind of a jerk, not that most athletes are any different lol
:cheers

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Let's discuss statistics rather than opinions which are largely shaped by inconsistent means.

Jay Cutler is the 3rd most accurate passer this year while under pressure, with a 73.9% completion rate with 5 TDs and 1 INT.

PFF (PRO FOOTBALL FOCUS) ranks Jay Cutler as the 2nd most efficient running QB this year, behind only Ryan Fitzpatrick.

ttaylor89

EOG Dedicated

Let's discuss statistics rather than opinions which are largely shaped by inconsistent means.

Jay Cutler is the 3rd most accurate passer this year while under pressure, with a 73.9% completion rate with 5 TDs and 1 INT.

PFF (PRO FOOTBALL FOCUS) ranks Jay Cutler as the 2nd most efficient running QB this year, behind only Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Damn, he's pretty good at just throwing the ball up to his great WR's or great RB while under pressure...How does he do when not under pressure? I'm guessing that stat is next to the one that you were just able to find(which makes him look good).

High Times

EOG Master

Manning gets rid of the ball before the pass rush even has time to get to him. That's the only thing that keeps him alive.

No it's what makes him great Mr. Football expert...........

Manning would have literally been killed in 2009 if he was in Chicago.

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. Manning will never get killed no matter what team he plays for because of his intelligence ......

:doh1

ttaylor89

EOG Dedicated

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

Pretty much sums up that he's middle of the pack. Like everyones been saying except for 2 people. He's good. Javy is correct, he shouldn't be trashed for losing the game which started this thread...We don't blame Geno for losing against the Patriots last night...It's unfair to hold middle of the pack QB's responsible for wins or losses.

High Times

EOG Master

You mean college Quarterback..........

Wilson has to run....... Cutler like most good Quarterbacks (not that he is good because Cutler should run more) shouldn't be running.

Russell Wilson has to run when nobody covers him or he will not be playing. If he tried to be a pocket passer he would too fail.......... Wilson HAS TO RUN!

Cutler DOESN'T!

:doh1

High Times

EOG Master

Pretty much sums up that he's middle of the pack. Like everyones been saying except for 2 people. He's good. Javy is correct, he shouldn't be trashed for losing the game which started this thread...We don't blame Geno for losing against the Patriots last night...It's unfair to hold middle of the pack QB's responsible for wins or losses.

:+clueless

So when Joe Flacco played way better than anyone else the year they won throwing for 9 TDs and no interception we should say he wasn't responsible for them winning?

When Eli Manning took his Giants 2 TIMES in the Super Bowl to last minute drives that won 2 Super Bowls (plus playing great in those playoffs too) that he should get no credit for that?

When Vick (actually the EAGLES ENTIRE TEAM) had a great year and had Green Bay on the ropes driving for the winning score and threw the worst pass ever to THROW THE GAME AWAY we should blame it on the team?

The Quarterback is responsible for their teams winning 90% of the time .... Russell is in the 10% category......

Losing teams (the 4-12 types) can't always blame the Quarterbacks .....

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

You sorted by a number that says that Joe Flacco is better than Aaron Rodgers and that Brian Hoyer is better than Drew Brees and still think you have a reasonable argument?

oy... I feel like I've walked into the movie Idiocracy when I read this thread.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

I'm stuck in this futuristic idiocracy society as long as I post in this thread.

BigDeemer

EOG Dedicated

Cutler is very similar to Matt Ryan, Tony Romo, Andy Dalton, and Joe Flacco. All better than average but not elite (or close)

High Times

EOG Master

russell wilson is a better qb than cutler.

:shoot:

despite cutler's talent and power arm, no matter what defense he has he consistently trails wilson in passer rating, interceptions chucked up, etc. partly because he doesn't have the mobility or threat of mobility, and partly because he's a choker

No it's because the Bears need Cutler to play great to win......

Wilson's job is to NOT TURN THE BALL OVER .. PERIOD!

Wilson would never be able to play for the Bears....

The Bears would be 3-13 with Russell Wilson playing QB for them.....

And you would then see how bad he really is.................................

:lightbulb:

High Times

EOG Master

Cutler is very similar to Matt Ryan, Tony Romo, Andy Dalton, and Joe Flacco. All better than average but not elite (or close)

Cutler could never be as good as Flacco or Ryan ...... But he is EXACTLY like the other 2 ....... Turnover machines in the biggest games!

Cutler could never play 3 straight playoff games and throw ZERO interceptions .... Just like Romo and Daulton

12io4j2w90