Heading to Estadio Nacional today

Wade

EOG Master
The president of the country today extended everyone's lunch break one full hour (from noon to 2:00 p.m.) in order to cheer on their national heroes.

Mr. Kelly, was this a paid lunch break? Also what if the game went to extra time and penalties. The game would've ended close to 3:00pm.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Had to be a good time huh John?

Great time and I'm not a soccer guy.

Those fans are passionate.

Five minutes before kickoff, the smoke bombs were lit.

Smoke fills the stadium but dissipates just in time for the start of the game.

I arrived an hour early and luckily got a chance to see Alajuela's fans cheering for the team bus as it arrived at the stadium.

That scene will be burned in my memory forever.

As will some of the backsides of the attractive female models who were fronting for companies like Kolbi, Gatorade and Burger King.

I think the male-female crowd split was about 75/25.

Three disappointments:

1) Concession stands did not take debit cards.

2) No program available for the game.

3) No stadium scoreboard.

My favorite part of the game and this feature is in sharp contrast to the dumb game presentation in the States: NO MANUFACTURED NOISE.

Every cheer is natural, genuine and unchoreographed.

No organist or deejay needed to rev up a quiet crowd.

The fans in Alajuela were there to watch the game and cheer for their heroes.

A kind of "gladiator feel" to the proceedings, not a fourth-grade assembly.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
You didnt leave early huh?

Watched every minute of the scoreless first half and missed the four goals after halftime.

I was there for the setting and atmosphere as much as for the game action.

Any opinion on the Finals between Alajuela and Cartago?

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!
Watched every minute of the scoreless first half and missed the four goals after halftime.

I was there for the setting and atmosphere as much as for the game action.

Any opinion on the Finals between Alajuela and Cartago?
Would love to see Cartago give them a run being it has been 83 years since they have won a title but they are climbing uphill vs Alejuela. Sidenote, if Cartago beats them in the 2 game aggregate they will have to turn around and do it again to actually win the title since Alejuela finished 1st in the regular season.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Would love to see Cartago give them a run being it has been 83 years since they have won a title but they are climbing uphill vs Alejuela. Sidenote, if Cartago beats them in the 2 game aggregate they will have to turn around and do it again to actually win the title since Alejuela finished 1st in the regular season.

I like that format.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!
Playoffs are silly. Should be like the EPL. Best team wins the title.
That is probably the most fair way but then you don't get the excitement of the playoffs and championship games. Once in a while it might come to the wire with excitement but other years it would just be a snoozefest at the end of the season.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I see both sides of the argument.

I've always been opposed to expanded playoffs in college football because it diminishes the importance of the regular season.

I view every Saturday as a playoff round in college football.

Playoffs are silly. Should be like the EPL. Best team wins the title.