Lovie Smith

blueline

EOG Master
COLUMN: My Assessment in 2016 of a Lovie Smith Illini Hiring Could Only Be Described One Way: Wrong - Sports Illustrated Illinois Fighting Illini News, Analysis and More

Smith refused to embrace what is and will always be the lifeblood of success in college football. On that March 2016 day, I was convinced every prospect in an Illinois home would be overjoyed at the prospect of the former Chicago Bears coach selling them on the Illini football program. By 2019, Lovie Smith was standing at a podium on signing day admitting that his program went 0 for 19 on scholarship offers on in-state prospects and failed to sign a single in-state player.

Smith was stubborn to adapt his Cover-2 defense to the RPO concepts of modern college offenses and were constantly near the bottom of the Big Ten Conference in several defensive statistical categories. Illinois needed to rely on the magic of “Lovie Ball” to get turnovers to even have a puncher’s chance in conference games.

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!
Bret Bielema, last seen in CFB running Arkansas into the depths of the Mississippi River is the next man up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Valuist

EOG Master
Good thing the Illini beat Wisky a year ago because I don't see that happening during the "Bielema era". I imagine Alvarez will make embarrassing Bielema a priority.

How smart can one be to leave Wisconsin for a lower level program in the SEC?