Northwestern Football/Pat Fitzgerald

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Score one for The Daily Northwestern.

I once served as a sports reporter there.

FW made the winning point about Chicago's soft sports media.

Northwestern spent big money with the four or five major sports media outlets promoting "Chicago's Big Ten team."

The advertising money served as cover for the school.

Fitzgerald was praised constantly for his achievements and rarely, if ever, criticized for his shortcomings (the team finished 1-11 last season including a loss to FCS- representative Southern Illinois).

And don't expect the Big Ten Network to cover the NU hazing scandal.

The television arm of the powerful conference looked the other way during Joe Paterno's troubled times at Penn State, proving the employees of the Big Ten Network are publicists, not journalists.
Where is the B10 Network based? Chicago.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Fitzgerald would have survived the hazing scandal if his team was 11-1 last season, not 1-11.

He also would have survived in 2013, not 2023.

Why?

Northwestern head basketball coach Chris Collins survived player abuse allegations in 2017 or thereabouts after his team made the NCAA tournament for the first time in school history.

The allegations included Collins abusing an African-American player who was taking up a scholarship while seriously underachieving.

Collins was the toast of the town in the few years before the pandemic.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Season is fucked anyway. Will probably go winless in the Big 10. Will have to beat the early cupcakes to avoid 0-12.

And to think Northwestern won its season opener as a 12-point underdog last season.

The Wildcats then lost 11 straight.

Valuist

EOG Master
I think the most likely landing spot for Fitz will be in the NFL as a position coach. I think most feel he can coach the Xs and Os.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I think the most likely landing spot for Fitz will be in the NFL as a position coach. I think most feel he can coach the Xs and Os.

Good call.

Jon Gruden is now a candidate for coaching positions in the NFL, proving some league owners will forgive past sins.

Time heals all wounds.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Attempt at can't we all get along. Can we agree on this.

Northwestern did an extensive investigation and gave Coach F a 2 weeks offseason suspension. Then a couple days later, the NW student newspaper published a story and Coach F gets fired.

That sequence is not right in any way, shape or JK newspaper form.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
My favorite Pat Fitzgerald story:

At the beginning of every season and at the end of the first day of practice, NU head coach Pat Fitzgerald would stand before his team and ask the question, "How many guys here want to play in the Rose Bowl?"

Every member of the team, including Coach Fitz, would raise their hand.

Fitzgerald would then quickly ask, "How many guys here have ever played in the Rose Bowl?"

Every member of the team, except Coach Fitz, would lower ther hand.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Do you agree with me, kane, that this matter should not be dropped and others involved directly and indirectly be outed and punished? Surely you are not satisfied with Coach F being the only casualty.

kane

EOG master
Hazing is having a player stand up in front of the team and sing his high school fight song, hazing is the seniors making the freshmen carry their shoulder pads after practice, hazing is giving the freshmen bad haircuts, that stuff is good natured and team building, when you're talking about sexual harassment/assault, that's obviously crossing the line and should never be tolerated. Apparently there was a 6 month investigation and over 50 people were interviewed, seems like the University did a thorough job, maybe back in the day he could have survived this, but not in the world we live in today. I agree with Val, I can't see him getting another college job, but I can see him being the linebackers coach or defensive line coach in the NFL

kane

EOG master
Do you agree with me, kane, that this matter should not be dropped and others involved directly and indirectly be outed and punished? Surely you are not satisfied with Coach F being the only casualty.
If the investigation shows other assistant coaches, or anyone else on the staff knew what was going on and did nothing to stop it, or even report it, they too should face the consequences of their inaction

Heim

EOG Master
This same shit going on at high school football power Mater Dei here for many, many years, a Catholic school. I can't believe the
school turned a blind eye to it until last season.

Last edited:

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Hazing is having a player stand up in front of the team and sing his high school fight song, hazing is the seniors making the freshmen carry their shoulder pads after practice, hazing is giving the freshmen bad haircuts, that stuff is good natured and team building, when you're talking about sexual harassment/assault, that's obviously crossing the line and should never be tolerated. Apparently there was a 6 month investigation and over 50 people were interviewed, seems like the University did a thorough job, maybe back in the day he could have survived this, but not in the world we live in today. I agree with Val, I can't see him getting another college job, but I can see him being the linebackers coach or defensive line coach in the NFL

I agree with green.

mr merlin

EOG Master
I'm still not sure why anyone outside of northern ILL should care about this, NW is a bad team and Fitz is an irrelevant coach, since when do we care about sexual abuse?

The media is raging upset because some movie is out that's exposing it right? But some football player was embarrassed and it's a big deal...no it isn't.

Rockfish

EOG Addicted
Don't forget that Northwestern was due real soon to start a major renovation on their football stadium. A 800 million dollar renovation. Oops! Maybe not now.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
This is a crucial guilty please note. The report from a 6 months investigation and dozens of interviews does not detail the hazing in the public summary and when you parse the words, no confirmation of specific hazing in the NW response to the JK newspaper article.

This is not acceptable and cannot stand. The entire report must be released with only absolutely necessary redactions.

blueline

EOG Master
Something I didn't see anywhere else yesterday from the daily northwestern:

familiar with the situation told The Daily that board members had kept up with coverage of the situation today and grew increasingly frustrated.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
We need to know the confirmed details. Nudity part could be something as harmless as streaking at a sorority. I make clear. The details described in the JK newspaper are out of bounds. But the on the record description of the actions is not enough.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I assume Northwestern's biggest donor signed off on the Pat Fitzgerald firing.

Patrick Ryan and his wife have donated more than $700 million to Northwestern University.

The Ryans have treated both Pat Fitzgerald and Chris Collins like family members.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Last year, I speculated that Pat Fitzgerald may have "checked out" during COVID-19 and that's why the football program struggled recently.

Northwestern's only win last season came against Nebraska, a team that lost to Georgia Southern two weeks later.

Nebraska's loss to GSU as a 24-point favorite was the last chapter in Scott Frost's head coaching career in Lincoln.

Heim

EOG Master
Should I be surprised there's lawyers on Instagram already looking for a abused hazing victims past or present?

blueline

EOG Master
Baseball team next?

Northwestern head baseball coach Jim Foster has been fired, according to reporting by Danny Parkins of 670 The Score.

The decision comes just days after baseball players called the now-former coach “abusive.” Fifteen players entered the transfer portal during his one-season tenure.