Ohtani Interpreter, Huge Gambling Debts...Fired!

Heim

EOG Master
Nothing wrong with gambling debts until you use someone else's account to cover.

Story unfolding that interpreter had over 4 million in debt with a outfit in So. Cal and wired money from Ohtani's account to cover.

Old high school friend.

Which brings to mind, keep your enemies close and your friends closer.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Obviously the interpreter did exactly what he was told, zero chance this was a theft, Shohei has a gambling problem, I guess there's nothing wrong with that.

Reports are that ohtani and that guy were inseperable, he was his buddy and gopher, I'd be willing to bet ohtani also has a money guy - who never reported any missing money because there was no missing money.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
Move over MJ, there's a new sheriff in town when it comes to bookmaking and gambling debts!

I'm anticipating New Balance will be tearing up their contract soon among other sponsors.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Move over MJ, there's a new sheriff in town when it comes to bookmaking and gambling debts!

I'm anticipating New Balance will be tearing up their contract soon among other sponsors.
Why? Considering that almost every state is now legalizing gambling, gambling is no longer a stigma.

Lets face facts, they're covering this up and no one cares.

mr merlin

EOG Master
They will get the interpreter to take the fall with a chink carrot or a shusui stick.
Is there a "fall"? he got fired(supposedly) but other than apparently owing a ton of money will he be prosecuted, I suspect ohtani will not press the claim his money was missappropriated and his buddy while not working as interpreter will still be hanging around away from the ballpark.

It is interesting that the interpreter didn't bet on baseball, he's not a player - he could, I assume hanging around baseball teams all the time that's the one sport he might have an edge on?

Almost like he didn't bet on baseball because Shohei knows the rules.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Reading this it appears that the CA bookmaker might face charges, but there's no indication that the interpreter would. I doubt there's a wrist to slap.

I would assume MLB would "decide" that there's insufficient evidence Ohtani knew anything.

Heim

EOG Master
You give a high school friend and interpreter access to your account?

You would think a guy with Ohtani money would have a firm that monitors everything.

railbird

EOG Master
You give a high school friend and interpreter access to your account?

You would think a guy with Ohtani money would have a firm that monitors everything.
Maybe ohtani is bored with life and wants to bet some soccer to relax

Heim

EOG Master
It's too bad for Ohtani who really is one of the few good guys in MLB. Hopefully it won't hurt his endorsements especially in Japan.

mr merlin

EOG Master
It's hard to say. He could wire money with a phone call pretending he was Ohtani or had access to a petty cash account used to pay rent, mortgages et al.
It's not hard to say, it's obvious what went on. No crime was committed, it was simple gambling, ohtani bet and lost, using his buddy as the beard, I think almost everyone here can relate to it.

I doubt any co's in japan(or here) would care about it.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Supposedly ohtani makes enormous money off endorsements, most in japan but plenty here, we're talking hundreds of millions. I guarantee ohtani has a money guy who manages all that(payments coming in from dozens of sources, etc), zero chance this interpreter was siphoning anything from ohtanis accounts without anyone noticing.

Nothing was reported because ohtani approved it all.

jimmythegreek

Why? Considering that almost every state is now legalizing gambling, gambling is no longer a stigma.

Lets face facts, they're covering this up and no one cares.
Where have you gone, Pete Rose?

It's his account,and zim sure there is a lot more to this story. If players are responsible,, the story is a lot more peculiar and speculative when athletes or relatives of are held accountable.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Saw a guy earlier tonight make a good point, no one like that interpreter would get millions in credit unless the bookie knew who was funding it.

For jimmy - as long as he/they didn't bet on baseball it should not be much more than embarrassing for ohtani, it sounds like the bookie is in trouble, maybe the interpreter(but I doubt it), ohtani should not face much.

railbird

EOG Master
Saw a guy earlier tonight make a good point, no one like that interpreter would get millions in credit unless the bookie knew who was funding it.

For jimmy - as long as he/they didn't bet on baseball it should not be much more than embarrassing for ohtani, it sounds like the bookie is in trouble, maybe the interpreter(but I doubt it), ohtani should not face much.
i had way more credit than i deserved from the same guy

Heim

EOG Master
From Yahoo:

It’s worth noting that using a wire “which entitles the recipient to receive money or credit as a result of bets or wagers” is explicitly listed in the U.S. criminal code as a violation that can result in a fine or imprisonment for up to two years, which might explain the about-face after Mizuhara said Ohtani sent the wire transfer. MLB also strictly forbids any relationships with illegal gambling.

The change of story, naturally, led to a torrent of conspiracy theories about Ohtani's involvement in the gambling, but the details reported independent of Mizuhara's account all line up with the idea that the interpreter was the one who was illegally gambling. Also, it's doubtful Ohtani's name would be on those wires if the whole plan was to hide his secret gambling habit.

mr merlin

EOG Master
From Yahoo:

It’s worth noting that using a wire “which entitles the recipient to receive money or credit as a result of bets or wagers” is explicitly listed in the U.S. criminal code as a violation that can result in a fine or imprisonment for up to two years, which might explain the about-face after Mizuhara said Ohtani sent the wire transfer. MLB also strictly forbids any relationships with illegal gambling.

The change of story, naturally, led to a torrent of conspiracy theories about Ohtani's involvement in the gambling, but the details reported independent of Mizuhara's account all line up with the idea that the interpreter was the one who was illegally gambling. Also, it's doubtful Ohtani's name would be on those wires if the whole plan was to hide his secret gambling habit.
It's a good thing we dont enforce laws in the US anymore huh?

jimmythegreek

Rail my point though is that Ohtani s spokesperson has a meeting with his interpreter who gotten in over his head for 4.5m. Ohtani paid off the 4.5m debt out of the account via wire transfer. Theft comes into play. This stuff takes place behind closed doors. Not to try and look like a hero, but his spokesperson notices money came out of his account. 2 wires at 500k each but what about the other 3.5m?

My rat still has Limburger in his mouth. And the 70m a year superhero is about to hit some spring training kryptonite with a bunch of lies at stake. This is big time premeditated as nobody knew about this story with so many angles to consider and names to be proven guilty. Are we to believe clear cut that Ohtani had nothing more to do with this? Can you hear me now Pete? The speculation behind this Ohtani case some have said has gone on since 2021. It's just a very bad look.

Last edited:

kane

EOG master
MLB won't even investigate the matter, they have to protect their golden goose, I don't know if he's guilty of any wrongdoing or not, but at the very least they league should look into it, if this was Kike Hernandez there would absolutely be an investigation, but for Ohtani they'll look the other way

mr merlin

EOG Master
MLB won't even investigate the matter, they have to protect their golden goose, I don't know if he's guilty of any wrongdoing or not, but at the very least they league should look into it, if this was Kike Hernandez there would absolutely be an investigation, but for Ohtani they'll look the other way

He's Mr Clean, robbed blind by his trusted interpreter, poor guy. It's a good thing his interpreter didn't bet on baseball however.

railbird

EOG Master
In tickets scalping there were certain guys that were heat magnets, this is what came to mind with this bookie

Last edited by a moderator: