Something did not look right in the tenth and final race today at Gulfstream Park

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
A 30-1 longshot named Canelo led from start to finish and rewarded one player in the Rainbow 6 a payout of more than $1.2 million.

Purse of the race was $43,000.

Opening fraction in the mile turf race was posted at 27 seconds.

Jockey Corey Lanerie rode the winner.

Jock Luis Saez was second aboard the 6/5 favorite and his mount only started to run once the victory was sealed for Canelo.

Jock Paco Lopez sat second most of the way atop second choice Golden Indy before finishing third at odds of 7/2.

If it wasn't a predetermined outcome, it looked extremely fishy.

I'll watch the replay one more time.

Canelo paid $67.20 to win.

But the big payout came in the Rainbow 6 to the tune of $1.2 million.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Opening quarter was posted at 27.21 seconds.

Ridiculously slow, if the teletimer is correct.

Jock Paco Lopez with a stranglehold on his mount into the first turn.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Canelo today won the second start of his career by more than three lengths after earning a Beyer Speed Figure of 57 in his career debut on December 23.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
So much for Gulfstream's advertised mandatory payout in tomorrow's Rainbow 6.

They were expecting a pool north of $5 million.

Wade

EOG Master
Interesting stuff, Mr. Kelly. I’m sure there’ll be a thorough investigation.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Opening quarter was posted at 27.21 seconds.

Ridiculously slow, if the teletimer is correct.

Jock Paco Lopez with a stranglehold on his mount into the first turn.
You guys always act like the jockeys and trainers control everything - it's the horses that run.

it was the second race of his life and this time he felt like running.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I'll try to hand-time the opening quarter sometime this weekend.

Visually, it looked slow.

Jock Paco Lopez obviously wanted to restrain his mount in the early going.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
A big payday was on the line if #3 Canelo was able to win the race.

Only one person was alive to one horse In the day's final leg of the Rainbow 6.

Lo and behold, the only live horse at odds of better than 30-1 found himself alone on the lead with a leisurely pace and won going away.

I'll throw the red challenge flag on this one.

The stewards at Gulfstream Park should at least discuss the race with three jockeys: Lanerie, Saez and Lopez.

Would love to hear the story behind the winning ticket.

I'm guessing the winner is well-known on the backstretch.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
When 30-1 longshots win at the track, they usually win with all-out efforts by small margins.

Not Canelo.

He won going away and no one was catching him.

mr merlin

EOG Master
When 30-1 longshots win at the track, they usually win with all-out efforts by small margins.

Not Canelo.

He won going away and no one was catching him.
I dont know what hapenned, if it was shady or not, but he was 30-1 because of his first lifetime start being horrible, maybe he's really a good horse that figured it out, maybe he was sick or scared the first time, maybe the jockey deliberately held him back the first time to set up this race?

Let us know how the horse runs next time out.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
his win doesnt bother me ......... im concerned about the timing issues

I don't have a problem with winning jock Corey Lanerie.

You take whatever they'll give you.

My problem lies with jockeys Luis Saez and Paco Lopez for not trying their best to win the race.

If you took even-money or 7/2 on their mounts, you did not get a fair run for your money, in my humble opinion.

Sidenote: I did not place a wager on the race.

blueline

EOG Master
I don't have a problem with winning jock Corey Lanerie.

You take whatever they'll give you.

My problem lies with jockeys Luis Saez and Paco Lopez for not trying their best to win the race.

If you took even-money or 7/2 on their mounts, you did not get a fair run for your money, in my humble opinion.

Sidenote: I did not place a wager on the race.

I disagree...you got exactly what you deserved.
The rail horse is a grinder that never developed...you get the same race almost every time.
The chalk went head and head in its debut going long......very little surprise if the trainer said take back and make one run.....up to the bettor to decide if the horse warrants a short price.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I dont know what hapenned, if it was shady or not, but he was 30-1 because of his first lifetime start being horrible, maybe he's really a good horse that figured it out, maybe he was sick or scared the first time, maybe the jockey deliberately held him back the first time to set up this race?

Let us know how the horse runs next time out.

I remember Masochistic winning on Kentucky Derby Day in 2014.

His connections drugged him in his first start to set up a betting coup in his second lifetime start.

Masochistic went on to be a Grade I winner.

Masochistic's trainer was A.C. Avila.

What does the A.C. stand for?

Always cheating.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I disagree...you got exactly what you deserved.
The rail horse is a grinder that never developed...you get the same race almost every time.
The chalk went head and head in its debut going long......very little surprise if the trainer said take back and make one run.....up to the bettor to decide if the horse warrants a short price.

I don't think it's coincidence that the longshot winner was unmolested on the lead when $1.2 million was riding on his back.

I'm interested if Gulfstream Park publicizes the winning ticketholder.

Heim

EOG Master
All it took was for Paco Lopez to rein back the #2 out of the gate who wanted to run with Canelo up front and the race was over.

I like to use the word manipulate a race.

Even walking up front maidens aren't closing 23 and change to catch anyone.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
All it took was for Paco Lopez to rein back the #2 out of the gate who wanted to run with Canelo up front and the race was over.

I like to use the word manipulate a race.

Even walking up front maidens aren't closing 23 and change to catch anyone.

Race manipulation, I like it.

Who's watching the store?

Bettors need to be better protected.

blueline

EOG Master
I don't think it's coincidence that the longshot winner was unmolested on the lead when $1.2 million was riding on his back.

I'm interested if Gulfstream Park publicizes the winning ticketholder.

looking at it numerically ,,,assuming the GP numbers are somewhat accurate...who knows.......the winner was getting lasix.....in the data I use L1 can move a horse up 20-30 beyer style points.......the winner ran a 36 in its debut......the chalk ran a 69......a horse loose on the lead getting lasix runs a big number?........the numbers and outcome fall within realistic paramters for me

blueline

EOG Master
I remember Masochistic winning on Kentucky Derby Day in 2014.

His connections drugged him in his first start to set up a betting coup in his second lifetime start.

Masochistic went on to be a Grade I winner.

Masochistic's trainer was A.C. Avila.

What does the A.C. stand for?

Always cheating.

that was my best bet of the day......he did a poor job of darkening the form......horse was a "number" standout

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
looking at it numerically ,,,assuming the GP numbers are somewhat accurate...who knows.......the winner was getting lasix.....in the data I use L1 can move a horse up 20-30 beyer style points.......the winner ran a 36 in its debut......the chalk ran a 69......a horse loose on the lead getting lasix runs a big number?........the numbers and outcome fall within realistic paramters for me

Fair enough.

blueline

EOG Master
went into ,my old data....Masochistic was projected to win by 5.9 lengths.....still odd to put Victor up who was riding California Chrome......that was going to attract attention

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
that was my best bet of the day......he did a poor job of darkening the form......horse was a "number" standout

Churchill Downs linemaker Mike Battaglia missed out on the horse.

No surprise.

If memory serves, Masochistic was listed at 12/1 in the program and closed as the 2/1 favorite.

Masochistic's connections and/or the engineers of the betting coup caught a bad break when the Chirchill Downs maiden race came up weak.

That's rare for a Derby Day card.

Blue's right, the number-crunchers loved Masochistic off his debut effort.

blueline

EOG Master
Churchill Downs linemaker Mike Battaglia missed out on the horse.

No surprise.

If memory serves, Masochistic was listed at 12/1 in the program and closed as the 2/1 favorite.

Masochistic's connections and/or the engineers of the betting coup caught a bad break when the Chirchill Downs maiden race came up weak.

That's rare for a Derby Day card.

Blue's right, the number-crunchers loved Masochistic off his debut effort.

4/1 MLO

blueline

EOG Master
besides putting Victor up he had a big 6F work 19 days prior to the win.....just odd way of trying to hide things

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

The price of 4/1 doesn't ring a bell.

Listed at long morning-line odds Derby day, Masochistic went off at 2-1 and returned $6.20 to win. To Bonnie's thinking, if large wagers had been made on Masochistic to win on a routine race day in Southern California, he may have gone off at 3-5. Running on the Derby undercard allowed for a bigger score.

Source: Bloodhorse

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
From a Santa Anita press release:

Subsequently bet down to 2-1 favoritism off a morning line of 20-1 in a maiden special weight affair going six furlongs on Kentucky Derby Day at Churchill Downs, Masochistic responded with a 14 length score for the ever-crafty Avila, who was soon besieged with inquiries as to the machinations of such an improbable victory.