The EOG Octagon (SLEEPY v RAILBIRD)

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
not struggling 95% on right side, weird random in game events occuring, ill do a review later

BIRDIE stays true to form.

I like his attitude to never admit or acknowledge short-term losing streaks.

After all, gamblers should stay positive about the long haul, especially if you've experienced a record of success in the past.

BIRDIE once said, "Think positive about your gambling habits and decisions. And think negative when handicapping the games (consensus opinion is wrong, star players are overhyped, marquee teams are overrated, etc.)."

Last edited:

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
it aint theory dumbshit, and nice past post
you are down a shit ton with limited plays left and you suddenly play your first +200 play of the contest so how is this NOT game theory.

what, is this the first time you saw "value" in a +200 play?

you are too stupid to know what your bread and butter is and keep playing other markets you don't have a clue in.

call the meatman if you need capping help.

After all, gamblers should stay positive about the long haul, especially if you've experienced a record of success in the past.

BIRDIE once said, "Think positive about your gambling habits and decisions. And think negative when handicapping the games (consensus opinion is wrong, star players are overhyped, marquee teams are overrated, etc.)."

Habitually lying about plays and records isn't a positive attitude. It's dishonest insecurity at its finest.

railbird

EOG Master
you are down a shit ton with limited plays left and you suddenly play your first +200 play of the contest so how is this NOT game theory.

what, is this the first time you saw "value" in a +200 play?

you are too stupid to know what your bread and butter is and keep playing other markets you don't have a clue in.

call the meatman if you need capping help.
theory is what people with no talent rely on. and no theroy people would have played it because it was +240 out of pocket. i made it -116

TobyTyler

EOG Dedicated

BIRDIE once said, "I can't even recall how many dicks i have sucked in order to stay in the game. Sometimes the tout scamming is not enough and you have to make ends meet. Matter of fact i sucked a cock this morning, it's really not that bad. "

I remember him saying this also

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
SLEEPY with seven plays left and (dare I say) RAILBIRD has four bullets remaining.

Who said I wasn't a good straightman?

scrubs

EOG Enthusiast
The idea of this contest is great, as it involves sports handicapping and competion. It also allows engagement from other board participants, as well as trollers, all with the common goal of trying to win $$. I'd imagine the user engagement (i.e. page clicks) is higher on this thread than any other on the forum.

I have a few suggestions that might improve the contests.

I think the contest should involve a greater number of bets. Using a parameter of only 40 bets doesn't necessarily determine the better handicapper, it's simply too small a sample. A few lucky wins or a few "bad beats" can determine the winner rather than the skill element. The larger the sample, the less chance those types of incidences will determine the winner. I'd like to see the contest expanded to ~75 events. If it puts too much pressure on the contestants to make that many selections in a short time frame then expand the duration to, say, 5 weeks.

I also wouldn't limit the money line range for bets to -2.00 and +2.00. I realize that a contestant who is hopelessly behind would be tempted to take larger +ml plays in an effort to make up ground at the end of a competition, but so be it. There are handicappers that are successful in betting larger than -2.00 ml plays and they should have the opportunity to prove their mettle using such plays.

An alternative way of running the contest would be "first contestant +25 units wins" or some other determined number of units.

Welcome all comments, this post is meant to be constructive.

scrubs

EOG Enthusiast
adding...I also think a contestant should be able to bet a certain number of 1.5 unit or, perhaps, 2 unit plays. This gives the audience a chance to see which plays a handicapper thinks are stronger than the others.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Thanks for sharing, SCRUBS.

I've always believed in simple contests.

Nothing too involved or complicated.

This contest has morphed into its current state as we expanded from 30 plays per month to 40 plays per month.

Feels like the right number to me though I would not object to increasing the number to 50.

In fact, the two featured contestants every month are allowed to shape the rules before the event begins.

I don't like the five-week contest.

Monthly contests are nice and tidy because everyone knows the start date and the finish line.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
adding...I also think a contestant should be able to bet a certain number of 1.5 unit or, perhaps, 2 unit plays. This gives the audience a chance to see which plays a handicapper thinks are stronger than the others.

Interesting idea, very interesting.

scrubs

EOG Enthusiast
No disrespect JK, but i think the "money ball rack" adds the "all or nothing" element to things and
that's not my intent here. I'm letting the handicapper choose which selections they want to make a larger than 1 unit play on when they feel they have a larger advantage than on a "regular" 1 unit play.

In the 3 pt contest, the contestant has no input in which shots will be will be worth more. The shooter is arbitrarily given certain balls that are worth more.

When a contestant in the EOG contest "really likes this one" he should be able to express that opinion by betting more. And the audience of bettors reading the thread will appreciate such context.