What does Fezzik do after football season?

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!
Re: What does Fezzik do after football season?

Funniest answer possibly gets a one-week pass to Railbird Sports.

Moi, give us a one-liner, and not a soliloquy. Thanks, pal. :scooter

Spends a lot of time going over his picks and figuring out what he did right and what he did wrong and trying to learn from that? What else would a winner do?

J

joeybagadonuts

Spends a lot of time going over his picks and figuring out what he did right and what he did wrong and trying to learn from that? What else would a winner do?

How would Fezz know this? It's been 6 years since his last winning NFL season.

:scooter

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

Let's hear from Tim now.

So wantit, the only games you can consider for the push rate are ones that opened -3 at every book, stayed there all week, and closed -3 at every book? Has that ever happened in the history of sports betting?

There is no intrinsic difference between games lined at -2 or -4 in terms of their probability of the favorite winning by exactly 3 points. You can remedy the small sample problem by including these. You don't find it odd that the percentage of these games that land on the 3 is remarkably consistent year to year? Of course the new OT rules will diminish the power of the 3 but in time, you can still ascertain a reliable rate.

Regardless, I doubt either you or HT know how to convert push percentages into a "cent value".

The question isn't what Fezzik will do.

It's what EOG posters will have to post if Fezzik does nothing.

Here come Wayne and Garth again.

2W2P2S

EOG Dedicated

So wantit, the only games you can consider for the push rate are ones that opened -3 at every book, stayed there all week, and closed -3 at every book? Has that ever happened in the history of sports betting?

There is no intrinsic difference between games lined at -2 or -4 in terms of their probability of the favorite winning by exactly 3 points. You can remedy the small sample problem by including these. You don't find it odd that the percentage of these games that land on the 3 is remarkably consistent year to year? Of course the new OT rules will diminish the power of the 3 but in time, you can still ascertain a reliable rate.

Regardless, I doubt either you or HT know how to convert push percentages into a "cent value".

You doubting HT's math and gambling prowess?!
http://forums.eog.com/showthread.php?t=325244&highlight=cantor

BTW, you're not allowed to comment on things said by the OP.

I think I answered that somewhere. Pretty sure it was 11 times a game was lined -3 and you couldnt get any other number but -3 anywhere or any time. At least of the 16 books I can check. I cant remember now it has gotten so convoluted.

Bottom line is there isnt any way to fix a value on it. No matter how hard you try. The results change with every game added.

Like I said since 2000 there have been 501 games that have had a 3 point margin of victory, regardless of who was favored. That is the total number of 3 point games. That is in a total of 3161 games. As you break it down int what spreads end in 3 point differentials is when it gets complicated because you cant say for certain what the spread was because a lot of books vary. Pinnacle might have -2.5 5 Dimes might have 1. Or Pinny might have 3.5 and another place might have 5. So trying to break it down that precisely is impossible.

As far as being 'remarkably consistent' they arent. Not even close. Even a generic search against widely available closures will show that. I will throw out the last couple years....

-4 to -2 favorites (WA closers)

58-39 SU
45-47-5 ATS
Team won by 3--- pts 7 games (7.2%)
Push on the 3 --2 games (3 pushes not on 3)

67-47 SU
55-56-3 ATS
Team won by 3 pts--10 games (8.8%)
Pushes on the 3 All 3

49-37 SU
40-44-2 ATS
Team won by 3 pts 6 games(7%)
Pushes on the 3 All 2

So in 3 season (including play offs) you have 297 games that CLOSED -4 thru -2. Of those games 23 ended with team winning by 3 points. Of those games 7 pushed. So a few ways to break it down. 23 of 297 games (closing around -3) ended with a 3 point result, thats 7.7% overall. Yearly percentages are in parentheses above. 7 games actually pushed against the closer. So 7 of 297, thats 2.3%

I will add another wrinkle, of those 297 games 93 of them closed exactly on 3. so 7 pushes in the 93 games that closed right on 3 is 7.5%

So is it fair to say the chances are around 7.6%? Probably not. The yearly percentages go up and down a bit. If I went back to 2000 they would rise and fall a similar amount and hold no real median.

This is still just looking at generic closers in a vacuum. It doesnt take into account numbers elsewhere. I suppose if I just used closers at Pinnacle some people would accept that. But then again most people arent too bright.

But even if you wanted to say there was a 7.5% chance of a push on these games lined around -3, that still doesnt get you anywhere near 23 or 26 cents or whatever he claimed it was.

LCD

Absolute and utter bullshit.

EVERYTHING CAN BE QUANTIFIED.

If you can't do it, all it means is you are a poor mathematician and/or model builder. Just because you can't do it, does not mean it can't be done.

Some sports, baseball being the best example, are perfectly set up to be quantified and modeled. Other sports (1v1 events like MMA or boxing) or certain European sports (like cycling and F1) I think are much harder to quantify and model (for a variety of reasons) and that's why there's a greater opportunity for finding "mistakes" in the lines for those sports.

Dammit, if that quantifying and modeling doesn't get me every time. LOL. I need to improve on my modeling. (My quantifying remains top-notch!)

Some of you posters are just idiots.

Champ RonMiller

EOG Member

counts his money, laughing at people who 'dog' him?

I never understood the "hate" for Fezzik...we should be united against the enemy...the books, not each other

We should try to help one another out, trying to cash at the window

Dammit, if that quantifying and modeling doesn't get me every time. LOL. I need to improve on my modeling. (My quantifying remains top-notch!)

Some of you posters are just idiots.

Thanks, JJ.

Some of you posters are senile.

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

I think I answered that somewhere. Pretty sure it was 11 times a game was lined -3 and you couldnt get any other number but -3 anywhere or any time. At least of the 16 books I can check. I cant remember now it has gotten so convoluted.

Bottom line is there isnt any way to fix a value on it. No matter how hard you try. The results change with every game added.

Like I said since 2000 there have been 501 games that have had a 3 point margin of victory, regardless of who was favored. That is the total number of 3 point games. That is in a total of 3161 games. As you break it down int what spreads end in 3 point differentials is when it gets complicated because you cant say for certain what the spread was because a lot of books vary. Pinnacle might have -2.5 5 Dimes might have 1. Or Pinny might have 3.5 and another place might have 5. So trying to break it down that precisely is impossible.

As far as being 'remarkably consistent' they arent. Not even close. Even a generic search against widely available closures will show that. I will throw out the last couple years....

-4 to -2 favorites (WA closers)

58-39 SU
45-47-5 ATS
Team won by 3--- pts 7 games (7.2%)
Push on the 3 --2 games (3 pushes not on 3)

67-47 SU
55-56-3 ATS
Team won by 3 pts--10 games (8.8%)
Pushes on the 3 All 3

49-37 SU
40-44-2 ATS
Team won by 3 pts 6 games(7%)
Pushes on the 3 All 2

So in 3 season (including play offs) you have 297 games that CLOSED -4 thru -2. Of those games 23 ended with team winning by 3 points. Of those games 7 pushed. So a few ways to break it down. 23 of 297 games (closing around -3) ended with a 3 point result, thats 7.7% overall. Yearly percentages are in parentheses above. 7 games actually pushed against the closer. So 7 of 297, thats 2.3%

I will add another wrinkle, of those 297 games 93 of them closed exactly on 3. so 7 pushes in the 93 games that closed right on 3 is 7.5%

So is it fair to say the chances are around 7.6%? Probably not. The yearly percentages go up and down a bit. If I went back to 2000 they would rise and fall a similar amount and hold no real median.

This is still just looking at generic closers in a vacuum. It doesnt take into account numbers elsewhere. I suppose if I just used closers at Pinnacle some people would accept that. But then again most people arent too bright.

But even if you wanted to say there was a 7.5% chance of a push on these games lined around -3, that still doesnt get you anywhere near 23 or 26 cents or whatever he claimed it was.

My data has it occurring a bit more frequently, but two things off of this:

1) I will bet you that between 5 and 10% of the games closing -2 to -4 next year will finish with the favorite winning by exactly 3 points. You get the other 95%. Even money?

2) How many cents would a 7.5% push rate be worth?

My data has it occurring a bit more frequently, but two things off of this:

1) I will bet you that between 5 and 10% of the games closing -2 to -4 next year will finish with the favorite winning by exactly 3 points. You get the other 95%. Even money?

2) How many cents would a 7.5% push rate be worth?

I just showed the favorites wins by exactly 3 points about 7.5% of the time in that set of parameters. That doesnt mean they pushed that many time though. They pushed 7 of 297 total games and 7 of the 23 games that happened to land with the favorite winning by exactly 3.

As for the value, hard to determine. In a vacuum it is worth a bit more than in reality. But if you look at a 50-50 capper who would be 46-46-8 (that is in a vacuum) who would be 54-46 if he always got the 'best' number.

46-46 @ -110 makes a guy -6.8 units in vig. A 54-46 capper who was laying -132 would be down 6.72 units. That is the only way I know how to 'proof' it. A guy would be able to lay -132 and not be any worse (or better) off than if he were just laying -110 and taking any old number. So in a vacuum with no other options a 'value' of 22 cents could be put on it.

That is if you think it is a constant and think that going forward the chances of it happening will continue to stay the same. It also assume that every game will be -3 -110 and thus be a 'fair' number. It also assume no other number was ever available at any given time and that all numbers are considered 'equal' at every book.

I still say 7.5% than it actually is. We had to use 5 different point spreads to get that many games. Of the 93 that actually closed -3 (that gave us our 7/93 7.5% result) none of them was painted -3 everywhere. Even Pinnacle only had -3 all week on 5 of them. And only 1 of them ended up being a push.

I wont bother with all the vigs attached to all the other numbers as that would really gt confusing. But on the 7 games that push on 3 in all but 1 of them the vig was + money on one side for the winning side at some point during the week, at Pinnacle. Meaning Pinnacle closed at -3 @ any vig, but it either opened or went through a number that was either -2.5 +100 or more or +3.5 +100 or more. In some cases they even opened with the other side actually being favored, and up to -5.5. Just in the small sample we looked at there.

A -3 is NEVER EVER a -3. It just isnt, and even putting in all sorts of crazy ways to determine odds or probability or chances of it happening none of them are real world relative.

Besides the mantra I have seen on these boards forever is "if you dont beaat the closer you cant win', so using closers to determine probability is wrong on a lot of levels, even more so to people who believe that nonsense. Which I dont.