Will We See MLB In 2020?

I expect at some point in late july or august some team will start letting in fans, they'll say we can fit 40,000 fans, we can safely put 10K in and spread them out.

MLB projects $640K per game loss with no fans.

When this is your starting point in negotiations its hard to believe the owners are going to give in on players demands.

What is the point of even playing?

Do the players really expect the owners to just give in and lose even more money?

MLB projects $640K per game loss with no fans.

When this is your starting point in negotiations its hard to believe the owners are going to give in on players demands.

What is the point of even playing?

Do the players really expect the owners to just give in and lose even more money?
What's the point? If you are a player you are one year closer to getting cut and having to find a real job. If you are young and still under a controlled contract you want to play to burn a year off and grow as a player. If you are older you get millions, if you only get half that it sure beats unemployment. If you are an owner you need to take a smaller loss and keep the network contracts in place.

Everyone has incentive to play except Blake Snell it appears.

It isn't that the players don't want to play for half their salary but they are being presented with the idea of playing half a schedule and being paid a 1/3 or less of their salary.

The owners want to have a 50/50 split of the revenue for the remaining season with the players. Sounds good but given how the stadiums will be empty or with 25% of capacity that means the revenue is going to be slashed even more.

So instead of a player getting 50% of their $10M contract which is $5M they are earning whatever the revenue could be which could be much less.

The owners get the upside of their franchise growing and in this case I believe they should bare the downside of paying the team 50% of their salaries based on 50% of the season being played.

I wonder how many owners will vote for sports betting to be allowed AT stadiums to help revenue? Let greed run it's course.

Listening to Gill Alexander's show today, I have to agree that if the players don't return to play, this is 1994 all over again. This will be viewed as a strike. And the public WILL hold it against the players/owners/league overall.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Listening to Gill Alexander's show today, I have to agree that if the players don't return to play, this is 1994 all over again. This will be viewed as a strike. And the public WILL hold it against the players/owners/league overall.
Unlike 1994 when the players deserved a massive part of the blame I think here the people will be smart enough to realize the blame needs to be shared among all parties

And unlike 1994 MLB will NOT be missed. We will have the NBA playoffs as well as the unquestionable best playoffs, NHL, going on when MLB would be playing. Then when those 2 end we will see the NFL underway

MLB will NOT be missed at all if they do not come back. It will upset me as a Doyers fan because 2020 could finally be the season we can move on past Kirk Gibson's WS G1 HR in 1988................but now..............????????????

Agree WD. MLB will get squashed by the other sports. There's little upside to a short story of 2 months bases. TV revenue is all they essentially have. MLPBA will look bad in most eyes IMO.