A March to Pointspread Glory

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Every day in the month of March, I plan to post my selections and strategies to bet and beat pro and college basketball with no limits on the number of plays or types of wagers. All posted selections will be graded against the current numbers at Pinnacle. I expect approximately 120-150 selections with most of the plays taking place over the first three weeks of March and my action slowing down as the NCAA tournament winds down. Here we go:

SELECTIONS FOR TUESDAY, MARCH 1

512 Memphis Grizzlies -1.5 over the San Antonio Spurs

511-512 Spurs-Grizzlies "OVER" 193.5

536 Penn State +6.5 over Ohio State

535-536 Ohio State-Penn State "UNDER" 130.5

547 Youngstown State +14 over Valparaiso

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Re: A March to Pointspread Glory

SPURS-GRIZZLIES notes.....Tony Parker will miss tonight's game with a strained left calf. Tim Duncan will have his hands full with Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph. Memphis is playing fast lately, averaging 112.7 ppg on 52.3% shooting in its last three home games. The Grizzlies are 4-10 this season when scoring below 90 points, so it's critical they push the pace.

OHIO STATE-PENN STATE notes.....Love the spot for the Nittany Lions as its Senior Night in State College and PSU features four senior starters led by outstanding point guard Talor Battle. PSU also sports a hard-nosed frontline that can challenge Jared Sullinger in the low post. OSU wheels back quickly after Sunday's game against Indiana.

YOUNGSTOWN STATE-VALPARAISO notes.....Horizon League first-round game. YSU suffered an 86-76 overtime loss at home to Valpo on February 5. The Penguins play too fast for their own good, but they have the ability to hit the 3-ball and their point guards, Blake Allen and Kendrick Perry, take care of the basketball, combining for 189 assists and only 87 turnovers for a solid assist-to-turnover ratio of 2.2.

hockey88

EOG Member

I'm all aboard for this journey. Thanks for the winners last night JK and good luck in the month of March.

munson15

I want winners...

This is scary because once you commit you've got to see it through. But, I've always said (or wrote at least) "In JK I trust!" Thanks and GL on the selections!12io4j2w90

brians

EOG Dedicated

Thanks JK. I appreciate the strategy behind the selections as well. Overrated or not, I find a lot of value in reading the logic behind a play.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Thanks JK. I appreciate the strategy behind the selections as well. Overrated or not, I find a lot of value in reading the logic behind a play.

"Overrated" was a poor word choice by yours truly. Upon further review, write-ups are "time-consuming" for handicappers who gamble.

brians

EOG Dedicated

"Overrated" was a poor word choice by yours truly. Upon further review, write-ups are "time-consuming" for handicappers who gamble.

I hear you. And that's why I don't complain when people post plays without revealing their angle, it is time consuming. But I still love to read a good angle (and there are several EOG posters who are more than generous with their time when they post their strategy along with their selections, especially the horse guys). That's what I liked so much about the Money Talks broadcasts ... listeners had an opportunity to get some insight into how these handicappers came up with their plays. I miss that show.

Every day in the month of March, I plan to post my selections and strategies to bet and beat pro and college basketball with no limits on the number of plays or types of wagers. All posted selections will be graded against the current numbers at Pinnacle. I expect approximately 120-150 selections with most of the plays taking place over the first three weeks of March and my action slowing down as the NCAA tournament winds down. Here we go:

SELECTIONS FOR TUESDAY, MARCH 1

512 Memphis Grizzlies -1.5 over the San Antonio Spurs

511-512 Spurs-Grizzlies "OVER" 193.5

536 Penn State +6.5 over Ohio State

535-536 Ohio State-Penn State "UNDER" 130.5

547 Youngstown State +14 over Valparaiso

91023i2ndw;l

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Tough way to finish 3-2, winning the first three decisions and then getting "Dieblered" in the Ohio State blowout of Penn State.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

SELECTIONS FOR WEDNESDAY, MARCH 2

763 TCU +7 over Air Force

780 South Florida +10.5 over Pittsburgh

779-780 Pittsburgh-South Florida "OVER" 124.5

787 Utah +9.5 over Colorado State

Complete explanations for all four wagers can be heard later today on "Winning Wednesdays." EOG's Internet radio show will be broadcast live at noon Pacific time at www.vegasallnetradio.com.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated

Tough way to finish 3-2, winning the first three decisions and then getting "Dieblered" in the Ohio State blowout of Penn State.

Diebler is tough! 3-2, still a winning night. Let's keep it going.

JK, if you intend on using this thread for all your March plays, I would suggest that you should make this a sticky so it always remains the very first thread in the group, thus making it very easy to find.

munson15

I want winners...

Solid card yesterday, JK, if Penn State had shown up (the total looked good at the half)they'd be having a parade for you in Vegas this morning. Thanks for today's picks, and GL!12io4j2w90

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Solid card yesterday, JK, if Penn State had shown up (the total looked good at the half)they'd be having a parade for you in Vegas this morning. Thanks for today's picks, and GL!12io4j2w90

Ohio State was up 33-18 at the half and I had "under" 130.5 (game closed 128). Bitter loss as the teams combined for 92 second-half points. Not a bad beat, just a tough way to lose control of what looked like a great bet.

Let's throw a parade tonight.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Diebler is tough! 3-2, still a winning night. Let's keep it going.

JK, if you intend on using this thread for all your March plays, I would suggest that you should make this a sticky so it always remains the very first thread in the group, thus making it very easy to find.

I like the idea, but I'm afraid of the perception. A sticky may look pretentious. Not sure about forum etiquette.

munson15

I want winners...

I like the idea, but I'm afraid of the perception. A sticky may look pretentious. Not sure about forum etiquette.
A guy putting himself out there like you are is entitled, and most of the members should be interested in what our grand poobah has to say. Just my .02.12io4j2w90

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated

I can feel you heating up just in time for the NCAA postseason. A parade would be nice. gl.

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated

I lost money in February. As the sleazy touts would say, "It's bounce-back March."

Was watching a commercial on TV today and it looked like (speaking of sleazy touts) it was right out of "Proline". Turned out to be the Nassau County Executive sweeping tax hikes out the door. Definitely a bounce back March.

brians

EOG Dedicated

Ohio State was up 33-18 at the half and I had "under" 130.5 (game closed 128). Bitter loss as the teams combined for 92 second-half points. Not a bad beat, just a tough way to lose control of what looked like a great bet.

Honest assessment. Though it did feel bad.

Coming out of the gate with 5 selections. Followed up by 4. Like a good shooter, just keep on firing!

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Honest assessment. Though it did feel bad.

Coming out of the gate with 5 selections. Followed up by 4. Like a good shooter, just keep on firing!

Hoping to get on a Jon Diebler roll. He missed his first "3" and his last "3," but nailed ten straight in between the misses.

Ching or Dong

EOG Enthusiast

I can say honestly that JK is a decent handicapper but... He hasn't had a winning month since October. November's 30 plays in 30 days was a loser, plays listed in December were losers, January's listed plays were a loser and February plays were losers. It's early and he is 4-4 so far so you are losing the juice. He is certaibly going thru a bad stretch but believe he is best in NCAA baskets versus pro's and this is the beginning of "MARCH MADNESS" so will stay for him for a bit longer. He is way overdue for a 10-1 or 12-2 run of winners, but he needs to get started.

munson15

I want winners...

Maybe it's time I read him the riot act again!:LMAODamn it, JK, I'll never be able to pay my club dues, child support and buy the old lady's house out from under her if you don't START POSTING MORE WINNERS!!!!!!!:LMAO

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

SELECTIONS FOR THURSDAY, MARCH 3

523 Hawaii +4.5 over San Jose State.....Even game. Hawaii won the first meeting, 67-61. The Warriors are playing well over the past month, going 8-2 against the spread in their last 10 games. The Spartans' home-court advantage is minimal.

525 USC +4 over Washington State.....Another dead even game. The Trojans have won four consecutive games, both straight up and against the spread. USC's suffocating defense should pose problems for a WSU offense that relies too much on Klay Thompson.

527 UCLA +8.5 over Washington.....The Bruins exit their best-played game of the season, a 71-49 thumping of Arizona. Nelson went for 27 and 16. UCLA was embarrassed in a 29-point loss last season in Seattle. The Bruins stay competitive tonight.

March record: 4-5, more dongs than chings. I'm hoping the pep talk from munson15 rights the ship.

munson15

I want winners...

Thanks and GL, JK. I know it's early in the thread to go to the whip, but the masses are stirring and we want to keep everyone in line.:+textinb3

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Thanks and GL, JK. I know it's early in the thread to go to the whip, but the masses are stirring and we want to keep everyone in line.:+textinb3

I know short samples are overrated by many, but I understand the importance of the last 30-50 plays.

We play to win today.

A short sample many times reveals your edge over the current market. I don't want the insight of a handicapper who won 3-5 years ago, I want to know who's winning today.

munson15

I want winners...

I know short samples are overrated by many, but I understand the importance of the last 30-50 plays.

We play to win today.

A short sample many times reveals your edge over the current market. I don't want the insight of a handicapper who won 3-5 years ago, I want to know who's winning today.
I was thinking about this, and realized that many posters come and go so they experience the full impact of a slump on your part. I have been tailing since the beginning, and am ahead 20 units. Now, at one time I was up over 60 units, so I understand where Ching is coming from. Hopefully he can stick with the program and enjoy a solid run of success, but I know his perspective differs wildly from mine.

Finance

EOG Veteran

Thus my frustration with not just this but tailing anyone's plays....invariably you are bound to miss some plays along the way, or jump in at the wrong time....funny how it seems that I never miss the 1-3 days but somehow whatever days I miss seem to always be the 4-1 type days....case in point there's a poster at another forum that I try to follow as best as I can - was something like 1-6 and I missed him yesterday and of course it was 3-0....

Not bitching about this thread by any stretch and I always appreciate anyone who puts themselves out there, but boy the luck of the timing always seems to go the wrong way....

munson15

I want winners...

That variance is the bane of the follower, Finance, and there is nothing we can do about it as amateurs. Pros don't miss plays because it is their livelihood, we do because we have other jobs and things that take precedence. Obviously, there is a lot of luck involved regarding when you miss and when you play.

Ching or Dong

EOG Enthusiast

2 chings and 1 dong for Thursday. Much better JK. Glad you have heeded Munsons tongue lashing!!! We do indeed need $$$ for our other vices other than betting!! UCLA at the best # @ 8 1/2 and Hawaii @ SJSU was nice but being down 15 at WSU was too much to overcome for USC, Now on to the weekend............