A March to Pointspread Glory

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Re: A March to Pointspread Glory

2 chings and 1 dong for Thursday. Much better JK. Glad you have heeded Munsons tongue lashing!!! We do indeed need $$$ for our other vices other than betting!! UCLA at the best # @ 8 1/2 and Hawaii @ SJSU was nice but being down 15 at WSU was too much to overcome for USC, Now on to the weekend............

We lost the USC game twice. Dead early and then the Trojans tease us by rallying to within one point at 60-59, only to lose by 8 points in the end. Frustrating.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

SELECTIONS FOR FRIDAY, MARCH 4

809 Cleveland +12.5 over New York.....Cavs lose Jamison, but Samuels looked great (23 and 10) in his first-ever NBA start. Cavs add Baron Davis, who will back-up Ramon Sessions at the point-guard spot. Knicks are likely to be without Chaucey Billups. He's listed doubtful for tonight's game.

March record: 6-6. Plenty of plays coming tomorrow.

Tuckman

Uh Poster

When u post your typical "5 NCAAB" selections for Sat, do u just play those or is there more but narrow down the selections for us?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

When u post your typical "5 NCAAB" selections for Sat, do u just play those or is there more but narrow down the selections for us?

Tuck, on a typical Saturday of college basketball, I'll bet between 10 and 15 games. I'll also search for halftime wagers, though that's not a specialty of mine, by any means.

Tuckman

Uh Poster

Tuck, on a typical Saturday of college basketball, I'll bet between 10 and 15 games. I'll also search for halftime wagers, though that's not a specialty of mine, by any means.

the 5 you typically give the board, are they considered your strongest plays for the day? or just random ones

munson15

I want winners...

John, you're not discounting the 'revenge' factor for New York tonight after losing at Cleveland last week, are you? I'm guessing you like the way the Cavs matchup with them, and that without Billups distributing (potentially) the Knick attack may be disjointed, to put it mildly.

brians

EOG Dedicated

Klay Thompson suspended for weed today. About 20 hours to late for USC backers last night.

brians

EOG Dedicated

7-6 going into a full rich college card. Let's turn the corner tomorrow...

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Klay Thompson suspended for weed today. About 20 hours to late for USC backers last night.

I cited Thompson for being a bad teammate during the Washington game. His body language was terrible and it did not appear he had the support of his teammates.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

SELECTIONS FOR SATURDAY, MARCH 5

515 Louisville +3.5 over West Virginia.....Cards exit a laugher over Providence, while the Mountaineers were forced to play a tough 40 minutes against a physical UConn team. Louisville is in good form, winning four consecutive games, both straight up and against the spread.

521 Indiana +10.5 over Illinois.....The Hoosiers never quit trying in a 10-point loss to Wisconsin the other night. IU won the first meeting, 52-49. Crean's young team is improving as the year progresses. Let's stay inside the number on Senior Day in Champaign.

533 Georgetown +3.5 over Cincinnati.....Quick revenge for the Hoyas after losing to Cincy in D.C. 10 days ago. G-town could not hit a shot in the first meeting, going 12-of-48 from the field and hitting only four shots from 23 attempts in the second half. If the Hoyas don't get the win, they should get the cover. Tight game all the way.

574 Seton Hall Pk over Marquette.....I sense the Pirates will benefit from their confidence-producing win over St. John's last Thursday night. In a late-game situation, three members of the Pirates were flying downcourt on a fast break in the game against St. John's. I love to see that type of energy in the second half. Marquette's defense sometimes disappears on the road.

587 USC +9 over Washington.....The Huskies beat UCLA by 7 points in a less-than-stellar performance on Thursday. UW is not playing well right now. The Huskies had problems defending the paint against the Bruins. Prefer the dog with the sticky defense.

613 South Florida +12 over St. John's.....The Bulls struggle to score, but they give an effort by rebounding and defending. Bigger fish to fry for the Johnnies.

622 Arizona State -6 over Oregon State.....The Beavers are a dead stick. Obama's brother-in-law is fortunate he knows people in high places. Loved the way ASU easily disposed of Oregon last Thursday with 16 3-pointers.

627 Colorado State +12 over San Diego State.....The dog is scrappy. SDSU barely won the first meeting, 56-54. Ogide is playing well for the Rams.

629 Cal State Fullerton +4.5 over UC Davis.....Credit the Titans for a road win in Stockton as a 13-point underdog. Davis is at the bottom of the Big West standings. Fullerton owes Davis for an 88-72 home loss in late December.

636 Pacific -10.5 over Cal State Northridge.....The Tigers should rebound in a big way after their embarrassing 82-80 loss to CSUF. Pacific is better than its 16-13 record would indicate. Don't be surprised if Pacific wins the Big West tournament over favored Long Beach State.

638 Washington State +2 over UCLA.....Look for the Cougars to rally after the suspension of Pac-10 leading scorer Klay Thompson. The Bruins mismanaged the final five minutes of their game in Seattle.

639 Hawaii +4.5 over Fresno State.....The Warriors finished their last game on a 17-5 run to beat SJSU Thursday night. Fresno State is too inefficient to win by 5 or more points against a Hawaii squad playing well.

655 Valparaiso Pk over Wisconsin-Milwaukee.....Crusaders can beat an overrated UWM team in enemy territory. Valpo is the better team.

668 San Francisco -3.5 over Pepperdine.....Teams split the regular-season meetings with Pepperdine cashing both bets. Love the job Rex Walters is doing with this young USF team.

March record: a modest 7-6. I've got more plays today (14) than I did over the first four days of the month. Let's get the money.

Ching or Dong

EOG Enthusiast

JK, when I said you need a 12-2 or 10-2 run I didn't mean all in one day. Wow 12 plays, and more after noon???? Good luck and I hope I won't need a major transfusion after the dust settles.

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated

John,
You broke the mold. Let's hope for a vast majority of winners. Thanks for your apparent insomnia with the timing of your posts. Think you have the right side in your Big East selections. St. John's blew their double-bye the other night. Interesting to note that tonight is Senior Night at Carnesecca Arena. Players spent the last week or so getting tickets for family and friends according to what I read. They did it all themselves. Since the whole team is comprised of seniors, I'd expect them to be motivated but tempered by the thought of more basketball next week at MSG and the week after in the NCAAs. SJU 56-50?

Love the write ups with all your picks John, thank you for taking the time to shed light on the way you think. Good luck today.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

John,
You broke the mold. Let's hope for a vast majority of winners. Thanks for your apparent insomnia with the timing of your posts. Think you have the right side in your Big East selections. St. John's blew their double-bye the other night. Interesting to note that tonight is Senior Night at Carnesecca Arena. Players spent the last week or so getting tickets for family and friends according to what I read. They did it all themselves. Since the whole team is comprised of seniors, I'd expect them to be motivated but tempered by the thought of more basketball next week at MSG and the week after in the NCAAs. SJU 56-50?

56-50 sounds good to me. Lavin had a history at UCLA of having his teams peaking in the NCAA tournament, no sooner. Plus, I've been looking for spots to bet this hard-trying USF team. I love the Bulls defensively, but it's tough to watch them on the offensive end.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

JK, when I said you need a 12-2 or 10-2 run I didn't mean all in one day. Wow 12 plays, and more after noon???? Good luck and I hope I won't need a major transfusion after the dust settles.

More chings than dongs, please.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

By major transfusion, I hope you're talking about cash, not blood.

brians

EOG Dedicated

Sticky dogs and scrappy dogs. Love it.

I like that there are so many plays. I'm more inclined to tail a single play because it's only one ... but a dozen plays allows me to compare my picks/thought process with yours. Couple games where we landed on the same side: Georgetown +3.5, Arizona St -6, USF +12 (although USF has been a nemesis for me all year), Cal State Fullerton +4.5 (though I'm afraid I'm over-estimating their win against Pacific).

Wheeling back with teams that failed you this week (USC & USF) ... stubborn or wise? Either way I like it!

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

USC and USF are the same team, different coasts. I'm a sucker for hard-nosed teams playing high-profile opponents that are unwilling to defend with intensity.

I liked the way Fullerton beat Pacific by playing well in the first half and hanging on for dear life. UC Davis will be life and death to win, let alone cover.

MrTop

EOG Master

does not get any better than that..........nice work on louisville +points JK

munson15

I want winners...

Hoping the blowout loss combined with the tight win bodes well for the oversized card, JK.:+excited-

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Bad read with Indiana. Tom Crean's young team had nothing left after an emotionally-draining and physically-taxing loss to Wisconsin two nights ago.

brians

EOG Dedicated

G'Town has nothing except Freeman and Wright. Clark was horrible, Vaughn no points, and no bench production at all. 46 points, 51 points, 47 points in 3 games without Wright.

brians

EOG Dedicated

ASU easy.
Hall looking good with 49 points at the half. Let's hope they do better with the lead than Wazu is in the 2nd half (UCLA getting to the rim with ease in the 2nd half)

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated

Bad read with Indiana. Tom Crean's young team had nothing left after an emotionally-draining and physically-taxing loss to Wisconsin two nights ago.

After 3 years under Crean, I'm surprised that IU hasn't been able to become more competitive by now.

brians

EOG Dedicated

USF & Wazu had their numbers covered all night till the end. Right sides ... should have been a 7-5 day.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

No excuses. Several dead sides (Indiana, G-town, Hawaii and Pacific) and a bad beat (Wazzu) led to a losing day. Rough day.

March record: 13-14.

I'll regroup tomorrow morning.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

About Pacific: the Tigers lost two games in three nights as huge home favorites. They were 13-point favorites Thursday night and 10.5-point favorites tonight. Gutless.

The only thing more disappointing than Pacific's effort was my handicapping process.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

After 3 years under Crean, I'm surprised that IU hasn't been able to become more competitive by now.

As I understand it, talent is on the way. Crean had to play by the book after Sampson disgraced the program.