Colin Kaepernick sits during national anthem; 49ers defend move

michael777

EOG Dedicated
[FONT=&quot]By Arthur Weinstein

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Updated at 9:50 a.m. ET[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Colin Kaepernick, who has been mired in a quarterback controversy with Blaine Gabbert to see who will lead the 49ers this season, may have sparked a real controversy Friday night.
Kaepernick did not stand for the national anthem before the 49ers preseason game at Levi's Stadium, although the move went unnoticed by most at the time. ProFootballTalk.com reported the story more than an hour after the game, and no reporters asked Kaepernick about it following the 49ers 21-10 loss to the Packers.
Fantasy Football 2016: Top 200 rankings
But Kaepernick's action prompted the 49ers to issue a statement acknowledging that he sat during the anthem, and defending his right to do so.
“The national anthem is and always will be a special part of the pre-game ceremony," reads the statement. "It is an opportunity to honor our country and reflect on the great liberties we are afforded as its citizens. In respecting such American principles as freedom of religion and freedom of expression, we recognize the right of an individual to choose to participate, or not, in our celebration of the national anthem.”
MORE: What we've learned — and haven't learned — about your NFL team
That stance will not sit well with many fans, however, and Kaepernick is sure to hear the boos in opposing stadiums as the media shines the spotlight on his decision. Was Kaepernick, who has been outspoken on his Twitter account about racial issues in the U.S., making a political statement? Expect to hear much more on this story in the coming days.
By the way, neither Kaepernick nor Gabbert did anything to win the starter's role Friday night, each finishing with 14 yards passing.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

[/FONT]

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Re: Colin Kaepernick sits during national anthem; 49ers defend move

What an idiot. Whatever chance he had to revive his career is gone. Chris Jackson got run out of the NBAE for the same stunt. Is Colin a Mooselim?

Dell Dude

EOG Master

To make sure Colin issued a statement saying the US is racist and police murder blacks. Bye Bye.

Mr Wonderful

EOG Veteran

Colin Kaepernick explained his decision not to stand for the national anthem on Friday night to NFL.com’s Steve Wyche. He sounds like a man perfectly willing to be at the center of controversy.

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color,” Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game against Green Bay. “To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

Have a feeling this won't end well for this POS.

rico1

EOG Master

The 49ers are just as wrong as Kaepernick. You cannot defend that garbage. NFL just does whatever it wants, without any accountability. Time for the NFL to lose their anti-trust exemption.

rico1

EOG Master

Anthem aside, I think Kaepernick and his "dead arm syndrome" will be sitting on the bench. Either in San Francisco or for the next team that hires that moron.

Dell Dude

EOG Master

If white or black player made some type of expression to support banning Muslims or deporting Mexicans, San Fag and the NFE would lower the boom boom. STFU with freedom of speech.

kane

EOG master

One of the many freedoms this country has that many others don't, is the right to protest, I don't see anything wrong with an athlete taking a stand on a subject he or she feels strongly about. Kap isn't hurting anyone, he isn't burning the flag, this is his way of protesting, there's nothing wrong with it, if the guy doesn't want to stand for the Anthem, it's within his right's to do so

rico1

EOG Master

NFL gets to play by different rules in this country. So, players making political statements at NFL games should cost the league their anti-trust exemption. Believe it or not, there are some kids that still look up to Kaepernick. Too many broken homes with no dad or parents that do not give a crap about their kids. So kids look to NFL players as role models. Kaepernick is not a role model, he is a glorified P.O.S.

kane

EOG master

NFL gets to play by different rules in this country. So, players making political statements at NFL games should cost the league their anti-trust exemption. Believe it or not, there are some kids that still look up to Kaepernick. Too many broken homes with no dad or parents that do not give a crap about their kids. So kids look to NFL players as role models. Kaepernick is not a role model, he is a glorified P.O.S.

To you he isn't a role model, I'm sure to many he is. Just because his beliefs aren't the same as yours, that doesn't mean he's not a role model

Heim

EOG Master

Yep...racist whites. Wait....he was adopted by white parents.

rico1

EOG Master

How ironic, Kaepernick has no problem cashing his check and using the American dollar to live lavishly. But he has a problem with the flag? He is clearly "oppressed" with all fourteen of his cars, boats, watches, and 10,000 square foot home. Sure. Makes sense to me.

RJD

EOG Senior Member

Fuck him. Show some respect asshat.

kane

EOG master

If Kap walked onto the field with a shirt that read "Blue lives matter" in clear support of the police, how many of his detractors would support him? My guess is everyone in this thread who doesn't agree with his way of protesting would be in full support of him if he was protesting a cause they agree with. The guy has the right to protest, that's one of the great things about this country

rico1

EOG Master

"Dear ESPN audience,

I apologize. I was extremely off in my assessment, and was wrong beyond belief. I have had my nose, mouth and lips surgically removed from his anus."

Signed,
Ron Jaworski

RJD

EOG Senior Member

Wow shocker conservatards not okay with it

Kane--I'm politically aligned with ya, but I can't stand shit like this.
It's all blending together---no pledge of allegiance in schools, taking Christmas parties out of schools, ---for what?

RJD

EOG Senior Member

If Kap walked onto the field with a shirt that read "Blue lives matter" in clear support of the police, how many of his detractors would support him? My guess is everyone in this thread who doesn't agree with his way of protesting would be in full support of him if he was protesting a cause they agree with. The guy has the right to protest, that's one of the great things about this country

I agree with that.
I worked for SB when I came out of grad school.
I would not have been allowed to protest during work hours/on SB property.
I could leave work and march til my heart's content.
But there is a time/place.

Dell Dude

EOG Master

kane working the Left wing morning shift at EOG. Blue Lives Matter or Black Lives Matter is different than the USA is racist and cops are murderers. Non or small story if he did a BLM demonstration.

rico1

EOG Master

Lets review: when Kaepernick was the starting quarterback of the 49ers playing in the Super Bowl, making millions he had no political issues. Now that his career is fifty-fifty at best with the organization, at risk of losing his game checks, he protests. No respect for an American-money-loving-hypocrite like Kaepernick. Guy is a gutless coward.

Dell Dude

EOG Master

This is your alt-left. These are Hillary's supporters.

RJD

EOG Senior Member

kane working the Left wing morning shift at EOG. Blue Lives Matter or Black Lives Matter is different than the USA is racist and cops are murderers. Non or small story if he did a BLM demonstration.

I'm a liberal guy.

And even I can't get my head around this.

The NFL is okay with this---but they didn't let the Dallas Cowboys wear a small sticker on their helmets supporting the slain officers for a pre-season game.

And fuck CK. No employee has the "right" to protest on company dime. That right does not exist.

Dell Dude

EOG Master

It will all work out RJD, don't worry. The NFE will suffer the consequences along with Kapernick if they have a whatever attitude.

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated

I don't like what he did at all, but I defend his right to do it.

Dell Dude

EOG Master

We need to define the Alt-Left. They are anti-Christianity and support either secularism or Islam. They are anti-white, anti-police, anti-rich. They think America is racist. They hate the history and tradition of America and want turn it into a multi-cultural Disneyland where white, straight Christian men are departed from any influence and power.

That's a start. Has to be cleaned up and stuff added. I'd go with the Alt-Right if given a choice. At least I won't get killed by some Muslim asshole screaming Allah Akbar.

Heim

EOG Master

He's got a lot more worries than racist USA....his arm is shot...he's the worst Qb when pressured and nobody wants to take on his contract....

Dell Dude

EOG Master

I predict this will be his final contract. If it is not guaranteed, his final year which if he gets cut by SF may not have a year. No certainty anybody picks him up.

kane

EOG master

Cwissy, if he was warming up on the field wearing a BLM shirt, you really think it would be a non story? C'mon, it would be headline news, everyone would be talking about it, especially on forums like this. During the WNBA season there were some teams that wore BLM t-shirts before their games, that made the news, and they play in a league that no one watches or cares about

kane

EOG master

It will all work out RJD, don't worry. The NFE will suffer the consequences along with Kapernick if they have a whatever attitude.

Wrong Cwissy, the NFL is too big to fail, there isn't anything anyone from the NFL could ever do that would take away from their popularity. How many people will not attend Niner games in protest of what Kap did? How many will not watch any NFL games because of what Kap did? The answer is zero. Nothing, and I mean nothing can bring down the NFL

Dell Dude

EOG Master

It's already happened before kane. Was a non story, story. SF or NFE may or may not have sanctioned or censored the player because of non advertisement policy and that would be it. Lebron and his teammates did it and was there an outcry? Small criticism. This is not that.

kane

EOG master

I'm a liberal guy.

And even I can't get my head around this.

The NFL is okay with this---but they didn't let the Dallas Cowboys wear a small sticker on their helmets supporting the slain officers for a pre-season game.

And fuck CK. No employee has the "right" to protest on company dime. That right does not exist.

FWIW, I disagreed when the league ruled they couldn't honor them by wearing a small sticker, considering the event took place in Dallas, I personally see nothing wrong with wearing a decal for a game showing support for their local police

Dell Dude

EOG Master

Wrong Cwissy, the NFL is too big to fail, there isn't anything anyone from the NFL could ever do that would take away from their popularity. How many people will not attend Niner games in protest of what Kap did? How many will not watch any NFL games because of what Kap did? The answer is zero. Nothing, and I mean nothing can bring down the NFL

I'm not saying the league would implode. I'm saying they would get blasted like the Ray Rice incident. Already have the Cowboys police controversy as a precedent.

cheapseats

EOG Master

We need to define the Alt-Left. They are anti-Christianity and support either secularism or Islam. They are anti-white, anti-police, anti-rich. They think America is racist. They hate the history and tradition of America and want turn it into a multi-cultural Disneyland where white, straight Christian men are departed from any influence and power.

That's a start. Has to be cleaned up and stuff added. I'd go with the Alt-Right if given a choice. At least I won't get killed by some Muslim asshole screaming Allah Akbar.

Totally agree, where do you draw a line in the sand as to what "is within" their legal right and what is simply not an acceptable action. Muslims kill gay people if they find out the person is, so I guess it is okay to do that here, there or anywhere, as it is their right to practice their beliefs wherever they are. Bad precedent being set.

kane

EOG master

It's already happened before kane. Was a non story, story. SF or NFE may or may not have sanctioned or censored the player because of non advertisement policy and that would be it. Lebron and his teammates did it and was there an outcry? Small criticism. This is not that.

The criticism wasn't small if I remember correctly

kane

EOG master

I'm not saying the league would implode. I'm saying they would get blasted like the Ray Rice incident. Already have the Cowboys police controversy as a precedent.

Okay, so they get blasted by the media and fans, then it eventually blows over, and then everyone forgets and continues to support the league just as much as they did before