Detroit Lions 2023 Season Thread

mr merlin

EOG Master
no, i say they should protest the game, and fine the ref for not writing his index card that player was elgible. #78
I think they made 2 mistakes, he was lined up as a tackle, so i agree the refs almost certainly didn't hear him but it didn't matter. There was no reason for 68 to leave the huddle and run to the ref except to report - which he did but the ref missed it because 70 popped in at the same time.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
Lions practice this all week, it's inconceivable that Decker didn't report as eligible.

As a Lions fan this was stressful from beginning to end. We live and die by Dan Campbell. I do wish he would have gone for the FG to cut the lead to 7-6. I knew he would go for 2 at the end. After the offsides, I wish he would have kicked the point after. That said, Goff didn't execute the play.

I do think Dallas would have win in OT, especially if the won the coin toss.

It is what it is.

mr merlin

EOG Master
The idiot campbell decided they would try to win - great, but you can still win in overtime, once the first penalty happened you kick the XP. He takes way too many chances, and by the way, they're such a aggressive team going for it right and left, look at us, aren't we exciting, but they try to run for it way too often.

3rd and 4 or 5 and they call a running play, give me a break.

lap18

EOG Dedicated
Lions practice this all week, it's inconceivable that Decker didn't report as eligible.

As a Lions fan this was stressful from beginning to end. We live and die by Dan Campbell. I do wish he would have gone for the FG to cut the lead to 7-6. I knew he would go for 2 at the end. After the offsides, I wish he would have kicked the point after. That said, Goff didn't execute the play.

I do think Dallas would have win in OT, especially if the won the coin toss.

It is what it is.
Campbell has been good for Detroit for sure....but to get to the next level you have to use better judgment than those decisions...to go for 2 after the penalty is mind boggling

railbird

EOG Master
I think they made 2 mistakes, he was lined up as a tackle, so i agree the refs almost certainly didn't hear him but it didn't matter. There was no reason for 68 to leave the huddle and run to the ref except to report - which he did but the ref missed it because 70 popped in at the same time.
and because he missed because he turned his head, and how old is ref, get hearing checked

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
Dan Campbell says the officials told him that Dan Skipper reported eligible, not Taylor Decker. But Decker says he reported, and Skipper says he did not. “I didn’t say a word, and I’d like to not get fucking fined.”

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
Quote of the night.....gotta love this guy

Aidan Hutchinson: “Screw it, I’d rather beat them in the playoffs. That’s my mentality.”

mr merlin

EOG Master
You cant have 6 receivers ever, didn't matter if he reported. Count them - 2 WR's a rb, and on the right a TE and #70 who reported. #68 on the left isn't eligible even if he reports. Doesn't excuse the refs missing that and claiming he didn't report though.

1703999106129.png

Bushay

NHL Expert
I lost 2 live bets on that bullshit call. Lions will get revenge in the playoffs. They went into Dallas, on a Monday night, in front of a National audience and won that game.
The better team lost tonight!

mr merlin

EOG Master
after further review it looks like the refs did get it wrong - 68 reported but the ref said it was 70, however he announced 70 and that means the defense was aware of that, it wouldn't be fair of the ref to allow 68 to get a catch after calling out 70.

Of course if 70 didn't report why did he run over to the ref, was he just being sneaky?

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
Playing devil's advocate, how awful was McCarthy at the end. Up 4, you're calling pass plays that are incomplete stopping the clock. You kick the FG, up by 7 then your defense goes soft allowing Detroit to March down the field to score a TD.

Dallas deserved to lose this game.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
It's all fucked up. McCarthy is grinning like a twanny in a girl's locker room. Nobody is talking about his bonehead play calling last Dallas drive.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
after further review it looks like the refs did get it wrong - 68 reported but the ref said it was 70, however he announced 70 and that means the defense was aware of that, it wouldn't be fair of the ref to allow 68 to get a catch after calling out 70.

Of course if 70 didn't report why did he run over to the ref, was he just being sneaky?
I thought the same thing about #70, why the hell is he even in the area of the ref. Could be some gamesmanship (being sneaky) that backfired, as #70 reports has eligible most of the time for Detroit during the course of the season, and I'm sure Dallas knows that.

Given that New York already reviews game video during games to "help" officials make the right call, maybe they should put body cams with audio on the refs like the cops now have to wear. Then New York can play the audio feed back internally and override a senile ref while the game issue is still capable of being corrected. (That's putting the multiple fouls to the side and just looking at the player reporting issue in this instance. They should get all parts of the call -- and this is just listening comprehension -- right.)

But more so than that, the NFL needs to go to full time refs who work on their craft as their only job, and retire off these weekend warriors who clearly are regularly overwhelmed by the mixed mental and physical demands of correctly calling these games. The refs should be the Pros from Dover, not the Keystone Kops every weekend.

I know the NFL doesn't care about the quality of the product on the field as long as they're raking in dough hand over fist (see the discussion in the recent "If I'm NFL Commissioner" thread), but they really do fuck up frequently. It should be embarrassing for a multi-billion dollar business -- if the NFL cared enough about the product to feel embarrassment.

howid

EOG Dedicated
''2 players cannot report eligible'' and 70 already reported, so the ref goes to the Cowboys and informs them 70 reported.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
seems 70 reported when he shouldn't have so the ref was forced to ignore 68 reporting ...
70 came in running to the ref late. I don't know wtf he was doing but the ref ignored him and walked away. NFLe fucked up again and idiot Campbell went into Coach Soup mode again. He had it in his mind to go for 2 and was unable to recalibrate after penalty.

howid

EOG Dedicated
so what is 58 doing there ...

anyways, can't blame Campbell, already won the division, OT risks injury ...

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
How many times you hear Acheman and Buck quipping, " can't do any worse than a 3 seed". Technically with all the chances to tie the game after even a penalty, Campbell nonetheless was willing to go for the jugular win or lose on the 2 pointer and content despite seeding and going against the odds. Even going back to the at the 4 after the Cowboys offsides penalty, third time was not a charm.

boston massacre

EOG Master

And After He Ran Over To The Ref, The Ref Ran Over To The Dallas Defense .

Roll The Tape.