Detroit Lions 2023 Season Thread

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Look at the space between his fucking arms. I question whether it was intentional. Reminds me of the Nebraska bum in the Orange Bowl. Can't remember his name.

kane

EOG master
Mistake by Johnson, he should have taken a head job now, no way to know how next year will go, if things go South for their offense, he might not be the hot name next year

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
Mistake by Johnson, he should have taken a head job now, no way to know how next year will go, if things go South for their offense, he might not be the hot name next year
Selfishly I was hoping he would stay. Career decision by him. Apparently his asking price scared off some perspective teams, whatever that was. He stayed last year citing unfinished business in Detroit. Probably still feels the same heading into next year. At age 37, there will always be opportunity for him in the NFL.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Was he actually offered a job? IMO if you're offered one you have to take it - unless if you're a big name, which he isn't.

kane

EOG master
Selfishly I was hoping he would stay. Career decision by him. Apparently his asking price scared off some perspective teams, whatever that was. He stayed last year citing unfinished business in Detroit. Probably still feels the same heading into next year. At age 37, there will always be opportunity for him in the NFL.
It's good news for the Lions he staying, but there's no way to know what, if any, opportunities there will be for him next year, you know the old saying "strike while the iron's hot", he's a hot name right now, no telling what the future holds

Heim

EOG Master
I think I read if 2 point conversation was good in GB game, a win would have given DET home field. No?

kane

EOG master
Maybe he thinks better jobs will be available next season.
Maybe that's his thinking, and he's done a great job with Goff and their offense, but with all due respect, who the fuck is Ben Johnson to turn down head coaching offers to wait a year in hopes something better opens up, the Hoodie can do that, not this guy. If their offense takes a step back and Goff's numbers aren't as good as this year, he might be regretting his decision to stay

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated

Ben Johnson makes Detroit Lions early offseason winners: 'One of the best offensive minds'​

Two days after their season ended in heartbreak, the Detroit Lions' offseason got off to a rousing start.
Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson pulled out of the running for the NFL's final two coaching vacancies Tuesday to return for a third season as the team's play caller.
Johnson was considered among the top head coaching candidates on the market after leading one of the NFL's best offenses the past two seasons. The Lions finished top-five in the NFL in total, rushing, passing, scoring and red zone offense this season, and won a division title and advanced to the NFC championship game for the first time in 32 years.
A favorite for the Washington Commanders job, Johnson informed both the Commanders and Seattle Seahawks of his intentions Tuesday, a person familiar with his decision told the Free Press.

ESPN reported that Commanders officials were en route to Detroit to interview both Johnson and Lions defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn on Tuesday when they got word of Johnson's decision. Glenn still is scheduled for a second interview.
Johnson's asking price, in the neighborhood of $15 million annually, "spooked" some interested teams, ESPN reported, while Johnson's desire to win a Super Bowl and the Lions' proximity to doing so were central to his decision Tuesday, a source said.
The Lions blew a 17-point halftime lead and lost to the San Francisco 49ers, 34-31, in Sunday's NFC championship game. They will enter next season as a Super Bowl favorite, in part because of an offense that returns its top two running backs, at least three starters on the offensive line, a Pro Bowl receiver and tight end, quarterback Jared Goff and has Johnson calling plays.
"Ben’s one of the brightest people I’ve ever been around, especially in terms of football and whatever he decides to do he’s going to be really successful at it cause he’s a great offensive mind but he’s also a great person and a great leader," Lions center Frank Ragnow said Monday. "But also you look around this locker room and you look around these guys and at the end of the day in this league, all these coaches will say it, they always say it all the time, it’s about players not plays. And I think we got a great group here that will be able to handle whatever happens, whether he stays or goes. I think everybody’ll figure it out."
Considered one of the most creative offensive minds in the NFL, Johnson came to Detroit as a quality control coach under Matt Patricia in 2019. He took over as tight ends coach the following season, and stayed on in that role when Dan Campbell took over as head coach in 2021.

Campbell, who worked with Johnson with the Miami Dolphins in 2012-15, promoted Johnson to pass game coordinator midway through their first season together in Detroit after stripping Anthony Lynn of play-calling duties, and named Johnson coordinator the following spring.
With Johnson as coordinator, the Lions have averaged 26.9 points per game in the regular season the past two years, third-best in the NFL behind the 49ers and Dallas Cowboys.

Lions quarterback David Blough, who was traded from the Cleveland Browns to the Lions the same week Johnson was hired in 2019, said Johnson's genius is born out of his attention to detail.
Blough and Johnson first met when they shared an Uber to the Lions' Allen Park practice facility shortly after Johnson was hired, and Johnson spent that fall working closely with Blough and the Lions' practice squad receivers, walking them through the week's gameplan the night before every game.
"We were learning (the offense) together and kind of in lock-step," Blough told the Free Press this month." Of course he had been around NFL offenses for seven years and I kind of was just learning this west coast for the first time, and so we were learning it together and he was leading a skill walkthrough with Tom Kennedy and Chris Lacy and Travis Fulgham and these guys, and I just remember how detailed he was in his preparation for that thing.
"You might have thought at the time, I’m the third quarterback behind (Matthew) Stafford and (Jeff) Driskel, what’s the importance of this meeting on a Saturday night before the game for some eight weeks, somebody who’s not going to play? And then sure enough I’m thrown out there and thank God I had those meetings with one of the best offensive minds in the world."
Blough completed 54% of his passes in five late-season starts in 2019 when Stafford was out with an injury.

ohnson interviewed with five teams this season — the Panthers, Commanders, Seahawks, Los Angeles Chargers and Atlanta Falcons — and declined an interview request with the Tennessee Titans.
Last year, Johnson declined an in-person interview with the Carolina Panthers because he said he had "unfinished business" in Detroit.
Glenn interviewed with four teams this season — the Falcons, Chargers and Titans, who already have filled their head coaching spots, and Commanders.

Contact Dave Birkett at dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett.

mr merlin

EOG Master

Ben Johnson makes Detroit Lions early offseason winners: 'One of the best offensive minds'​

Two days after their season ended in heartbreak, the Detroit Lions' offseason got off to a rousing start.
Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson pulled out of the running for the NFL's final two coaching vacancies Tuesday to return for a third season as the team's play caller.
Johnson was considered among the top head coaching candidates on the market after leading one of the NFL's best offenses the past two seasons. The Lions finished top-five in the NFL in total, rushing, passing, scoring and red zone offense this season, and won a division title and advanced to the NFC championship game for the first time in 32 years.
A favorite for the Washington Commanders job, Johnson informed both the Commanders and Seattle Seahawks of his intentions Tuesday, a person familiar with his decision told the Free Press.

ESPN reported that Commanders officials were en route to Detroit to interview both Johnson and Lions defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn on Tuesday when they got word of Johnson's decision. Glenn still is scheduled for a second interview.
Johnson's asking price, in the neighborhood of $15 million annually, "spooked" some interested teams, ESPN reported, while Johnson's desire to win a Super Bowl and the Lions' proximity to doing so were central to his decision Tuesday, a source said.
The Lions blew a 17-point halftime lead and lost to the San Francisco 49ers, 34-31, in Sunday's NFC championship game. They will enter next season as a Super Bowl favorite, in part because of an offense that returns its top two running backs, at least three starters on the offensive line, a Pro Bowl receiver and tight end, quarterback Jared Goff and has Johnson calling plays.
"Ben’s one of the brightest people I’ve ever been around, especially in terms of football and whatever he decides to do he’s going to be really successful at it cause he’s a great offensive mind but he’s also a great person and a great leader," Lions center Frank Ragnow said Monday. "But also you look around this locker room and you look around these guys and at the end of the day in this league, all these coaches will say it, they always say it all the time, it’s about players not plays. And I think we got a great group here that will be able to handle whatever happens, whether he stays or goes. I think everybody’ll figure it out."
Considered one of the most creative offensive minds in the NFL, Johnson came to Detroit as a quality control coach under Matt Patricia in 2019. He took over as tight ends coach the following season, and stayed on in that role when Dan Campbell took over as head coach in 2021.

Campbell, who worked with Johnson with the Miami Dolphins in 2012-15, promoted Johnson to pass game coordinator midway through their first season together in Detroit after stripping Anthony Lynn of play-calling duties, and named Johnson coordinator the following spring.
With Johnson as coordinator, the Lions have averaged 26.9 points per game in the regular season the past two years, third-best in the NFL behind the 49ers and Dallas Cowboys.

Lions quarterback David Blough, who was traded from the Cleveland Browns to the Lions the same week Johnson was hired in 2019, said Johnson's genius is born out of his attention to detail.
Blough and Johnson first met when they shared an Uber to the Lions' Allen Park practice facility shortly after Johnson was hired, and Johnson spent that fall working closely with Blough and the Lions' practice squad receivers, walking them through the week's gameplan the night before every game.
"We were learning (the offense) together and kind of in lock-step," Blough told the Free Press this month." Of course he had been around NFL offenses for seven years and I kind of was just learning this west coast for the first time, and so we were learning it together and he was leading a skill walkthrough with Tom Kennedy and Chris Lacy and Travis Fulgham and these guys, and I just remember how detailed he was in his preparation for that thing.
"You might have thought at the time, I’m the third quarterback behind (Matthew) Stafford and (Jeff) Driskel, what’s the importance of this meeting on a Saturday night before the game for some eight weeks, somebody who’s not going to play? And then sure enough I’m thrown out there and thank God I had those meetings with one of the best offensive minds in the world."
Blough completed 54% of his passes in five late-season starts in 2019 when Stafford was out with an injury.

ohnson interviewed with five teams this season — the Panthers, Commanders, Seahawks, Los Angeles Chargers and Atlanta Falcons — and declined an interview request with the Tennessee Titans.
Last year, Johnson declined an in-person interview with the Carolina Panthers because he said he had "unfinished business" in Detroit.
Glenn interviewed with four teams this season — the Falcons, Chargers and Titans, who already have filled their head coaching spots, and Commanders.

Contact Dave Birkett at dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett.
Did that genius call the run play on the 3 yd line with a min left that forced them to burn a TO?

railbird

EOG Master
stupid would be not acknowleding that cee dee lamb is a self centered hood rat that was trying to score his 2nd td by holding ball and reaching for pylon, why should scum get bailed out for not valuing the ball.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
It doesn't matter but freeze frame the moment the Lions player touches the ball. It was headed to the ground. If he instead blocks the SF player, only 1 SF player to recover. Nobody has yet to do the pooch or power onsides.

So what happens if you do a Samantha Powers screaming grounder at a 49er on the front line? This can be answered in practice. Try it and see howid hard it is to cleanly catch even when you know it's coming. A football is crooked. It creates crooked bounces. If the player doesn't cleanly catch it, the ball can go anywhere including back to sender which would be an easy kicking team recovery. That's not the only option. So many to choose. Nobody does it.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
I would also practice defending every conceivable onside even though coaches are too stupid to try anything besides the same soft bouncer to the right or left. For the Samantha Powers, 5-3-2-1 formation. Front 5 let the ball pass and block to slow down the kicking team. 2nd wave of players recover. Don't try to catch it front 5. Too dangerous. Guarantees ball goes downfield and have more time.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
email received today:

Letter to Lions Loyal Members from Sheila Hamp

Dear One Pride –

What a season!

As I told our staff last week, I am so proud of this team, our coaches, our amazing fans, and everyone throughout the state of Michigan that supported us this season and during our playoff run.

To see the Honolulu Blue wave that swelled throughout the season and playoffs – specifically in San Francisco – was inspiring and humbling. I know our players felt it on the field, and I can tell you directly that I felt it! Every “Jared Goff” and “Let’s Go Lions” chant that echoed throughout Ford Field and visiting stadiums was amazing.

Since I was a young girl, I have loved this team and have carried immense pride in being a Lions fan. Today, that pride is overflowing.

When I stepped into this role three years ago, I had a vision for sustained success. The success of this season is what that vision looked like. Now we must go about making late January football a constant in Detroit. With the help of Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell, who we hand selected for this mission, the future for the Detroit Lions has never looked brighter. I said in January of ’21 that we had found the right people to lead this organization and I believe it even more today.

The harsh reality of success is that you don’t necessarily see the end coming, and it hits you hard when it arrives. We are living that now, but please don’t let that dampen the excitement we felt and the success we earned. Only one team gets to celebrate at the end of the year and our goal is to put ourselves in a position for that to be our celebration.

As Dan told our players, what we did this year wasn’t easy. Next year won’t be any easier, but I know our investment to this point and our plan going forward, will help us live up to our standard. That standard is only achievable with all of us working together.

Please accept a personal thank you from myself and my family for supporting us throughout this season. Thank you for wearing your Lions colors proudly at work, at school, at Ford Field, and in 10 other NFL stadiums. Without you at our games, at watch parties or watching in your living room, nothing we do matters. This league has always been about players and fans, and I am so proud of the players and fans that represent the Lions.

Training camp starts in about 175 days, and I can’t wait.

Go Lions!

Humbly,

Sheila Hamp

railbird

EOG Master
Kudos to the oc coming back and not wanting to be associated with faggot libtard magic Johnson in wash dc.