EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (MRBOWLING300 is our August contestant)

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Play 28, Pittsburgh -104 over KC currently at Pinnacle

Pittsburgh it is.

MB300 needs two strikes from three balls.

Those of a certain age remember NBA rules that are similar to Keith's current situation.

It's the old "three to make two."

Prior to the 1954-55 season, the NBA established the rule that a backcourt foul would result in a "three to make two" situation (up to three attempts to make two free throws) if the violating team was over the team foul limit. By 1979, the rule had been extended to the penalty situation for flagrant fouls, fouls made in the act of shooting (resulting in a miss), and fouls due to the swinging of the elbows. Prior to the 1981-82 season, this rule, as well as the related "two to make one" rule were abolished.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
AL West up for grabs. Seattle sole possession of first, Houston blows out Detroit, Texas still in it but now has lost 9 of 10.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
Jimmy, I can't remember, and too lazy to look back, were you 16-11 at this point when you were playing?
Yes I was. Then I fell to 16-12, before I pulled off LAD/Colorado over 12 and the final was 14-3, followed by taking the Yankees over St Louis which was rained out, and switched to Arizona +145 over Angels. 6-2 final snakes, Gurriel with a granny and Nelson pitching the game of his life.

I had the Pirates twice and lost them both. That's when they took Florida to the 9th up 4-1 and Miami scored 5 in the 9th where they won on a 3 run walk off. Thought I was surely doomed starting out 5-0 and 11-3.

Last edited:

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
Where I hung out last week...Aruba!

aruba.jpg

The island of Aruba is only 17 miles off the north coast of Venezuela, and is 10 miles long and 6 miles wide at its longest points. They have a Dutch influence as well. Most of the people who work on the island are Spanish speaking and hail from Columbia, but English is spoken by all as well. The island is 69 square miles, and has a population of about 108,000. Everyone would fit in the Univ of MI football stadium comfortably. The island has a dry arid climate, which is rare for the Caribbean. We saw lot of Cacti. Annually, the max and min daily temperature doesn't change, upper 80s to upper 70s/lower 80s at night. There is always a Tradewinds breeze, and you don't have to worry about Hurricanes in this part of the Caribbean, as they are south of where Hurricanes normally track. They gained independence from the Kingdom of the Netherlands in 1986 when they became the Country of Aruba. The main religion is Roman Catholic, practiced by 75% of the residents. Aruba is totally dependent on Tourism, but they are also one of the largest exporters of Aloe, and refine petroleum. Although their official currency is the Aruban Florin, the US dollar is widely accepted. Aruba is a popular cruise ship stop. We are in low season, they get 1 ship a week. In high season, they get 20 ships a week stopping. The downtown was very crowded when the boat was docked. When the boat left, it was more like a ghost town. This was our 2nd time visiting the Island, I'd highly recommend planning a trip to Aruba.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
Taking a 17-11 record into tonight, with the contest on the line, and ignoring JK's theory on this #, Play #29 is Arizona / Dodgers under 8.5 -109 at Pinnacle right now. Let's do this!

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
One of my favorite moments of the Pro Bowlers Tour was in 1987, when Pete McCordic was going for a 300 game, that would pay him $100,000. This is the final 3 shots, which reminds me of my final 3 plays in this contest. At the time, it was very exciting as there had not been a 300 on TV since 1974. The final ball made every local news sports across the country and on ESPN as the play of the day. We pick it up at Pete is entering the 10th frame with 9 strikes in a row.

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!
One of my favorite moments of the Pro Bowlers Tour was in 1987, when Pete McCordic was going for a 300 game, that would pay him $100,000. This is the final 3 shots, which reminds me of my final 3 plays in this contest. At the time, it was very exciting as there had not been a 300 on TV since 1974. The final ball made every local news sports across the country and on ESPN as the play of the day. We pick it up at Pete is entering the 10th frame with 9 strikes in a row.

You could here a pin drop before that last roll

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!
I akin a 300 yard drive to a 300 in bowling. Not in degree of difficulty, but in how technology advances have made both far more commonplace.

Best of luck in bringing this baby home.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
I akin a 300 yard drive to a 300 in bowling. Not in degree of difficulty, but in how technology advances have made both far more commonplace.

Best of luck in bringing this baby home.
Let's put it this way, in 1965, in the Detroit area, there were a total of 5 perfect games bowled in the entire season. An old-timer who I know was one of them, verified by looking him up in the Detroit bowling registry they keep. These days, it is common place to have 5 in one league night!!!! And Detroit has about 35% of the amount of bowling centers that existed back then

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
Bowling was big in Toledo back in the day. Of course Toledo is mini Detroit so as it goes in Detroit it goes in Toledo. Good or bad.
Toledo still has a decent bowling scene to this day. During the pandemic, when Michigan bowling alleys were closed, the tournament assn I bowl in, held their monthly tournament at Southwyck Lanes in Toledo for about 4 or 5 months in a row!

railbird

EOG Master
Let's put it this way, in 1965, in the Detroit area, there were a total of 5 perfect games bowled in the entire season. An old-timer who I know was one of them, verified by looking him up in the Detroit bowling registry they keep. These days, it is common place to have 5 in one league night!!!! And Detroit has about 35% of the amount of bowling centers that existed back then
my hometown fountain valley has a 60 lane center that hosts pro tour events, built in 1970

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
First night of bowling, so at least my mind will be elsewhere. Bad news is, last game on the card, so it starts when I'm done!!!!

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
First night of bowling, so at least my mind will be elsewhere. Bad news is, last game on the card, so it starts when I'm done!!!!

I used to bowl when I was younger, back in the 80's. When I was 13, I strung 8 consecutive strikes, but ended up with a 253. I still have the score sheet.

I also went to bowling camp, lol. Yeah, that was a thing back then. It was in Windsor Locks, CT. Bill Spigner and Paul Moser ran the camp. Great guys.