Jim Brown RB…

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Rolling over in his grave witnessing the bad treatment of RBs in the NFL …can’t believe the treatment of Barkley, Jacobs, Pollard, and others….they need to get paid…

Valuist

EOG Master
Rolling over in his grave witnessing the bad treatment of RBs in the NFL …can’t believe the treatment of Barkley, Jacobs, Pollard, and others….they need to get paid…
Just a different game now. Payton played 13 years; Emmitt Smith 11-12. Now almost impossible to be anything more than a 3rd down back after 5-6 years. The collisions much more violent than 30-40 years ago.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Just a different game now. Payton played 13 years; Emmitt Smith 11-12. Now almost impossible to be anything more than a 3rd down back after 5-6 years. The collisions much more violent than 30-40 years ago.

I agree the game has changed…the collisions are a bit more violent because of the speed of the game but not by much…there were more headhunters back then and defensive players had a different mindset to take on QBs and RBs…

I just think that RBs are being treated unfairly for the amount of work being put in…

mr merlin

EOG Master
I agree the game has changed…the collisions are a bit more violent because of the speed of the game but not by much…there were more headhunters back then and defensive players had a different mindset to take on QBs and RBs…

I just think that RBs are being treated unfairly for the amount of work being put in…
Very few people on each team make huge money, QB's a a few other players. Here's the vikings salaries, focus on the avg salaries, there are like 25 more names even lower on the list.
1689652350835.png

avg salary
1689652184408.png

Name the last top 5 paid running back to win a Superbowl?

An even better game is name the top running back from the last 10 teams to win a Superbowl?

Please tell more about how important the running back position is...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230717_232651_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20230717_232651_Twitter.jpg
    541.4 KB · Views: 18

Valuist

EOG Master
Please tell more about how important the running back position is...
Percy Harvin was a WR. He might’ve had an occasional rushing play but I don’t think he was ever considered a running back.

But the point is well taken. Not a Hall of Famer on the list. How many were even All Pro? Maybe Ray Rice. I had forgotten Blount was on the Eagles.

Percy Harvin was a WR. He might’ve had an occasional rushing play but I don’t think he was ever considered a running back.

But the point is well taken. Not a Hall of Famer on the list. How many were even All Pro? Maybe Ray Rice. I had forgotten Blount was on the Eagles.
That's how important the running back position is. The leading rusher of SB 48 was a wide receiver 😂🤣

mr merlin

EOG Master
If a top RB can make $10-12 million/yr for a few years, and a lower tier but still starter can make perhaps $3-6 million, that really is pretty good. What are their alternative prospects?

Barkley has made $38 million so far and will make another 10-11 this year and will play for another 3-4 yrs, I know he doesn't like the fact that his average QB makes far more than he does but that's just too bad.

1689692404764.png

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I think Minn would be a good fit for Fournette to split Carrie’s with Mattison. Obviously it will depend on price.

Heim

EOG Master
Barkley has gotten some bad advice. He has turned down two decent deals at 2 and 3 years. The writing has been on the
wall for running backs for a while. Now he has to settle for 10m at one year.

I remember seeing him now threatening to sit out the year, which would be a catastrophic career move.

Valuist

EOG Master
I think the Leveon Bell holdout was the turning point for RBs. And when he signed the big deal with the Jets, the real winner was the Steelers.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
Barkley is a slightly above average RB. He average 4.4 per rush and 5.6 yards per reception. Those aren't numbers that couldn't be improved on by using a trio of backs.

Plus teams are getting smarter. Why pay Zeke $90M when you can spend $3-4m tops on 3-4 running backs who if someone gets hurt it won't hurt as much. How long were the Cowboys playing Zeke in front of Pollard because of the contract. Pollard has been the better RB for the last two years. The Cowboys offense suffered due to a bad contract.

Can someone name a RB who got a big second contract and they produced close to expectations? Zeke... nope. Todd Gurley wow was this a disaster.

MrTop

EOG Master

they changed the rules to favor offensive passing... tony dorsett and payton not needed as much

mr merlin

EOG Master
Robinson's cash is his signing bonus. His base salary this year is 750k. In year 5 when his rookie deal expires he'll be crying poor like Barkley who incidentally got a 21 mil signing bonus.
Getting much of the money in front in a signing bonus is protection for the player, but it's still part of his salary. Tom Brady used to do the same thing - get a huge bonus and then technically play for peanuts.

kane

EOG master
The game has changed, RB's aren't as important as they used to be, they've mostly become interchangeable, Dalvin Cook is still unsigned

Heim

EOG Master
Look at Dickerson. He was huge for the Rams and one of the elite in history. He wanted more, they dealt him to Indy were after a decent season and a half he was done.

Effective for a little over 5 seasons.

Rams gave more money to CFL transfer Dieter Brock Qb than Dickerson ever got.

Heim

EOG Master
Barkley is a slightly above average RB. He average 4.4 per rush and 5.6 yards per reception. Those aren't numbers that couldn't be improved on by using a trio of backs.

Plus teams are getting smarter. Why pay Zeke $90M when you can spend $3-4m tops on 3-4 running backs who if someone gets hurt it won't hurt as much. How long were the Cowboys playing Zeke in front of Pollard because of the contract. Pollard has been the better RB for the last two years. The Cowboys offense suffered due to a bad contract.

Can someone name a RB who got a big second contract and they produced close to expectations? Zeke... nope. Todd Gurley wow was this a disaster.

The only back that got paid I can recall after his rookie deal was Chubb. Who actually has gotten better versus a major regression like Zeke.

Woodrow Wilson

EOG Dedicated
RB's merely are complaining about being the least overpaid among a league filled with overpaid players.

RB's are like cars...a rapidly depreciating asset. Sharp teams typically avoid signing any of them to a second contract.

Heim

EOG Master
I'm interested to see how the Josh Jacobs contract stalemate plays out with LVR. They franchised him, he never signed the franchise tender, 10mil....now
he left Vegas a day before training camp (tomorrow).

Looking at the current climate, dude take it before you are offered the same 10mil next year for two years from someone else.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
Barkely caves

He has a one yr deal.
11m
Now the giants will give him 450 touches so that someone overpays for him next year

mr merlin

EOG Master
11 million is a good salary, does this mean the franchise thing is gone, so they could do it again next year?