MLB Hot Stove 2024

kane

EOG master
I haven't bet it yet, but I like the Over,
Changed my mind, while I like their lineup and pen, I still have enough questions with their rotation that will keep me off the Over, don't know what I'm getting with Greene and Lodolo, Montas coming off an injury that cost him the season, I like Abbott, but they're missing a hammer, a guy like Wheeler, Burnes, Strider, etc, they'll be a fun team to follow all season and I hope they have a good one, but I'll be pulling for them as a fan rather than an investor

Valuist

EOG Master
I made two more seasonal bets.

Miami Under 78 1/2- this is the obvious one. 33-14 in one run games last year is completely unsustainable. Toss in no Alcantara and Soler and Miami will face regression in 2024.

San Diego Over 81 1/2

kane

EOG master

Miami Under 78 1/2- this is the obvious one. 33-14 in one run games last year is completely unsustainable. Toss in no Alcantara and Soler and Miami will face regression in 2024.

San Diego Over 81 1/2
I like both of these, the Padres record in one run games was as bad as the Marlins was good, they also had a bad record in extra innings, the Marlins will miss the power Soler gave them, some of that might be made up by a full season from Burger, but just like every year their pitching will carry them, even without Sandy their rotation should be good, I expect a big year from Luzardo and Eury Perez is the real deal, but offensively they should rank near the bottom of the NL, I've heard rumors they have interest in JD Martinez, but given their low payroll every year I doubt he'll sign with them, I have to think eventually another team will offer him more money than Miami, he's from here so maybe he wants to play home and will accept a home town discount, we'll see

kane

EOG master
Just looked it up, the Padres were 1-12 in extras and 8-23 in one run games, they also ranked last in the NL in BA with runners in scoring position, have to think those numbers aren't duplicated, they also had a bad clubhouse last year, hopefully with a new manager that changes

Valuist

EOG Master
Here's a player prop. I haven't seen a stolen base prop for Acuna, but this is an obvious under to me. He was trying to prove a point last year; he could be a 40 HR/70 SB guy. He did it. Stealing bases is rough on the legs (and hands, depending on how one slides). Acuna makes his money by hitting HRs. I would expect a significant drop in his stolen bases.

Valuist

EOG Master
Here's a player prop. I haven't seen a stolen base prop for Acuna, but this is an obvious under to me. He was trying to prove a point last year; he could be a 40 HR/70 SB guy. He did it. Stealing bases is rough on the legs. Acuna makes his money by hitting HRs. I would expect a significant drop in his stolen bases.

kane

EOG master

San Diego Over 81 1/2
Just played both of these

kane

EOG master
I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I like Schildt +1400 to win MOY, kinda correlated with my Padres Over, the award always goes to the manager of a team that exceeds expectations, I don't see guys like Roberts, Snitker, or Thomson winning it, I have the marlins taking a step back so that rules out Schumaker winning again, I also like Councell but the odds aren't good enough, if the Pads can win 90 or so games and make the playoffs, that could bring it home for me

kane

EOG master
I made 2 MLB season win total plays today. I was 6-0 last year and these have been always been very good, even in years where individual game betting didn't go so well (2022 & 2023).

Milwaukee Under 77 1/2- I don't like this roster and the pitching staff is a shell of what it used to be. I can see every other NL Central team improving their win total over last year and somebody has to pay the price and it will be Milwaukee. Here's some supporting evidence: Mediocre 92 WRC+ for the full season but a very good 111 WRC+ with RISP. That's living a charmed life. 29-18 in one run games. I heard a real public Joe doing a podcast and I just knew he would say "Milwaukee won't win 92 like last year but they will go over their total". They can't and they won't.

Minnesota Over 85 1/2- 68-47 in non 1 run games last year but a weak 19-27 in one run games. I would expect mean regression there. The rest of the division inspires zero confidence. Cleveland will likely pitch well but just can't hit. Just pitch around Ramirez every game. Detroit is a bit of a sleeper and should get Skubal and Mize back, but like Cleveland, that lineup doesn't scare anyone. The White Sox lined at a weak 63 1/2-64 1/2 which seems a bit low but this team can always disappoint. They also figure to be sellers at the deadline. Kansas City at 73 1/2-74 1/2? I don't get that. The A's futility kept the spotlight off KC, but they were a terrible team last year. And amazingly 21-20 in one run games; 35-86 in all others. Is Seth Lugo going to turn everything around? I don't think so.
Devin Williams will miss the first half of the season with a back fracture, backs are tricky so I wouldn't be surprised if it's longer

Valuist

EOG Master
Devin Williams will miss the first half of the season with a back fracture, backs are tricky so I wouldn't be surprised if it's longer

I don't wish injuries on any player but this will clearly impact Milwaukee. The one strength for the Brewers is (was) their bullpen, with Williams the key piece.

I agree completely re: backs. I'm battling sciatica right now and it is nasty. Being able to rotate freely is so important for MLB players. Back problems usually also go into the leg.

Just listened to the Bet US MLB podcast. Base Winner is knowledgeable and worth a listen. I don't always agree with him but like his insights. The one drawback is the host Kyle is a clown. He always tries to bring the podcast to his recent female conquest (allegedly). If BW likes a play and Kyle is on the other side, the Kyle side is an auto fade.

BW liked the Milwaukee over but that was before this news. I'm clearly against him here. He likes Tampa over and Kyle likes the under so really have to look at the over. And its Tampa, who as an organization, are really good at winning regular season games. Base WInner also believes the White Sox will have the fewest wins of any MLB team. And that was before the Cease trade.

Valuist

EOG Master

I don't wish injuries on any player but this will clearly impact Milwaukee. The one strength for the Brewers is (was) their bullpen, with Williams the key piece.

I agree completely re: backs. I'm battling sciatica right now and it is nasty. Being able to rotate freely is so important for MLB players. Back problems usually also go into the leg.

Just listened to the Bet US MLB podcast. Base Winner is knowledgeable and worth a listen. I don't always agree with him but like his insights. The one drawback is the host Kyle is a clown. He always tries to bring the podcast to his recent female conquest (allegedly). If BW likes a play and Kyle is on the other side, the Kyle side is an auto fade.

BW liked the Milwaukee over but that was before this news. I'm clearly against him here. He likes Tampa over and Kyle likes the under so really have to look at the over. And its Tampa, who as an organization, are really good at winning regular season games. Base WInner also believes the White Sox will have the fewest wins of any MLB team. And that was before the Cease trade.

Valuist

EOG Master
I just got Under 63 1/2 (-110) at Espnbet. I'm seeing 61 1/2 most places now and 60 1/2 at MGM so ESPN really behind the curve.

kane

EOG master
Played Mil Under 77.5, their projected SL looks weak and the rotation doesn't excite me, the loss of Williams pushed me over the top

kane

EOG master
Braves to win the pennant +325
Mariners to win the pennant +1000
Phillies to win the pennant +700
Astros to win the WS +900
D-Backs to win the WS +3300

kane

EOG master
I'm all in on the D-Backs this year, have them +3300 WS, +110 to make the playoffs, Over 83.5, and Corbin Carroll +2200 MVP
Like everything about this team, rotation, pen, and SL, think Carroll is a star

kane

EOG master
. I'm battling sciatica right now
I've had sciatica, worst pain I've ever dealt with, the kind of pain that can't be described to anyone who's never had it, ended up going to physical therapy twice a week for 12 months, it took about 3 months for the pain to subside, a lot of stretching and core work, sciatica is a motherfucker

Heim

EOG Master
The worst thing that could have happened to Snell and Montgomery was Wheeler signing that big contract. Looks like Boras is using that as leverage (average annual) albeit reducing the years. Otherwise I think they would have signed by now

kane

EOG master
Played the Cardinals to miss the playoffs -110, nothing impresses me about this team, potentially their offense could be pretty good, but Arenado is coming off a down year as is Goldy, not that their numbers were bad, but not close to their career numbers, and their rotation doesn't look strong, Gray, Mikolas, Gibson, Lynn, and Matz doesn't excite me, and Gray injured his hammy, it's not as serious as they though so it looks like they dodged a bullet, but it's an old group, Matz at 32 is the youngest, I think both the Cubs and Reds finish ahead of them in the division, and if I'm right it's hard to see a scenario where three teams form the Central make the postseason

kane

EOG master
There are rumors the Astros are interested in Snell, of course no way to know what's real and what's bullshit, but I wouldn't have a problem if that's where he ends up, makes my Astros WS future look better

kane

EOG master
Played the Marlins to miss the playoffs -350, I typically don't lay this kind of price on anything, but this was a future I was considering before all the injuries to their rotation, pitching was supposed to be what would carry them this year, but without Sandy, and now potentially bad news on Eury Perez, it's going to be tough for them, other than Luzardo, who I think will be really good and a potential dark horse to win the NL CY, and Trevor Rogers, there isn't much else at this point, and they're not an organization that will go out and get a guy, Blake Snell and Jordan Montgomery aren't walking through that door, so they'll go with guys like Ryan Weathers, Devin Smeltzer, and AJ Puk. It's a shame they can't keep their guys healthy, if they were, their rotation would be among the best in the league, but that isn't the case

Valuist

EOG Master
Between all the Giants signings and expected positive regression from San Diego, as well as NL champ Arizona, really tempted to play the Dodgers under. We know Ohtani won’t pitch. How many starts will Glasgow make before hitting the IL? 10 or 12?

kane

EOG master
I played Aaron Judge Under 44.5 HR's, I'm not convinced he's 100% healthy, he's been dealing with an abdominal injury all Spring, and the toe he injured last year, while healed, will require "constant maintenance", he's only had 14 AB's in Spring training so hoping he comes out of the gates a little slow to start the season, of course the guy's a beast who could easily surpass his total, but given the injuries he's dealing with, I like my Under position

Valuist

EOG Master
I played Aaron Judge Under 44.5 HR's, I'm not convinced he's 100% healthy, he's been dealing with an abdominal injury all Spring, and the toe he injured last year, while healed, will require "constant maintenance", he's only had 14 AB's in Spring training so hoping he comes out of the gates a little slow to start the season, of course the guy's a beast who could easily surpass his total, but given the injuries he's dealing with, I like my Under position

I got under 43 1/2, but I'm fine with that. Gotta always try to exploit the injured players.

I added Ian Happ Under 129 1/2 hits. Happ has been dealing with a hamstring issue all spring training. While Happ isn't a burner, he's quick enough to normally get some infield hits. I think that will be seriously impacted.

Valuist

EOG Master
Both Glasnow and Darvish less than 80 pitches. Shouldn't be surprised. No reason to be playing a regular season game on March 20.

Valuist

EOG Master
If you have Yamamoto in a RoY bet, that bet is off to a rough start. Pitching on his home continent, his debut was 1 inning 5 earned runs.

Heim

EOG Master
He was tipping his pitches in the spring. I wonder if that has not been completely corrected.

Valuist

EOG Master
Several general props I bet. All unders at MGM

MLB HR leader: Under 52 1/2
MLB RBI leader: Under 130 1/2
MLB stolen base leader: Under 69 1/2
MLB doubles leader: Under 50 1/2

Valuist

EOG Master
Added one final season win total: Tampa Bay over 84 1/2 wins.

They may go nowhere in the post season, but they know how to win regular season games.