Official Postponed & Cancelled Sports Thread

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I think we need a thread that contains all of the postponed & cancellations thanks to the pandemic and unrest. Feel free to add to it. Change of venues are acceptable also.

- Ivy League Football, and all fall sports gone

- Big 10 noncoference games gone

- BYU-NIU football changed from Chicago to NIU

- Wisc-NU changed from Wrigley Field to NU

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Most sports bettors will be fine with a reduced inventory of college football games as long as the Big Ten and SEC are a go.

Is anyone going to miss Ivy League football?

I don't think so.

If college football abandons its season, the NFL should think about Saturday games.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
My first trip to Autzen Stadium just went up in flames.
I did see some good ideas. I know the conferences want to stay together, but why not flip the Oregon and ND series if you’re Ohio St? wisc-ND is in the big 10 region also. Play MAC nonconference.

the other idea I saw(BYU site) was have them and ND play in the B12 this year and go 2 divisions like the other conferences.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Most sports bettors will be fine with a reduced inventory of college football games as long as the Big Ten and SEC are a go.

I don't think so.

If college football abandons its season, the NFL should think about Saturday games.

Fans of the single wing in Ivy League will.....

Sleepy

EOG Master
I'll save everyone the trouble of a 30 page thread.

The cancellations will continue to pile up until at some point they just shut the whole thing down.

TonyMar

EOG Dedicated
Somewhere Phil Steele is shaking his head.

Pretty weak of the Big 10 to cancel games against the Mac and other conferences that need that revenue more than they do.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master

I don't think so.

I dont like short week football. I want sunday and maybe monday only.

The nfl should stagger the start times for 10 hours of constant action.
1pm
3pm
4pm
7pm

Dh on monday would be better than thursday night

TonyMar

EOG Dedicated
In television appearances following the announcement, the B1G’s commissioner didn’t put a positive spin on football’s immediate future.

“One thing we have to realize is that this is not a fait accompli that we’re going to have sports in the fall,” Kevin Warren flatly stated. “We may not have sports in the fall, we may not have a college football season in the Big Ten. …

“We made a vow early on that, first and foremost, we would put the health, the safety and the wellness of our student-athletes at the center of all of our decisions.
Gene Smith was equally pessimistic.

“I can’t reiterate enough the fact that we might not play,” the Ohio State athletic director said in discussing football in 2020. “We just might not, and I think people need to understand that.”

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
My all-time fave even to ref - cancelled for 2020. I missed Year 1. I did Years 2-10. Obviously I had to miss Year 11 in 2019 since it took place about 2 weeks after my final Chemo session and there was no way I could work it. I was soooooooooooooooo looking forward to doing it in 2020. I have the Ref t-shirts they gave us every year and I wear many of them around the house and right now I am wearing the 5-year Anniv one (2013 - and the 2nd best shirt given us).

It is 2 days of hoops played on the streets of LA Live with Staples Center visible. As you can imagine the temps got rather warm and the tempers of the parents also gets rather warm. It is more mentally than physically demanding but something I truly love doing and look forward to Aug 6-8, 2021

https://www.nike3on3.com/

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
I dont like short week football. I want sunday and maybe monday only.

The nfl should stagger the start times for 10 hours of constant action.
1pm
3pm
4pm
7pm

Dh on monday would be better than thursday night

The books would hate that! They want people either trying to chase their loss or press their wins and the way things are now the time schedule allows that. This would not

BenoitPaire2

EOG Veteran
I'll save everyone the trouble of a 30 page thread.

The cancellations will continue to pile up until at some point they just shut the whole thing down.

i think there’s a decent chance that nhl and nba will be able to finish.... though I’m not sure what happens if the wizards and nets can’t field teams? Do the bucks just get a bye?

mlb and nfl with the traveling and home stadiums Is just a disaster waiting to happen.

can’t see cfb being played this year, and I think CBB is going to be pushed back to January-May

By the way... the death numbers starting to go up this week again is a horrible sign, especially since it seems like the south states are just not willing to shut down like the northern states were. The 3 day moving average was the highest in a month. With Florida hospitals starting to fill up, that could become a worse situation than nyc was

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
The sports landscape desperately needs a vaccine.

...........as does the entertainment industry. Taylor Swift had 2 sold out shows all set for the Rams new place in a few weeks. Not any more. Summer is the biggest time of year for concerts. You know what that is like now. Anybody care to go to a movie theater? Come the Fall when new TV shows are set to air - not this year. Enjoy watching reruns of game shows since none can be shot now (and this affected me since I had a team all lined up for a few shows - NO - I will NOT say which ones but if/when I get on I promise I will let all here know about it).

Sports is not the only industry in need of a vaccine

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
...........as does the entertainment industry. Taylor Swift had 2 sold out shows all set for the Rams new place in a few weeks. Not any more. Summer is the biggest time of year for concerts. You know what that is like now. Anybody care to go to a movie theater? Come the Fall when new TV shows are set to air - not this year. Enjoy watching reruns of game shows since none can be shot now (and this affected me since I had a team all lined up for a few shows - NO - I will NOT say which ones but if/when I get on I promise I will let all here know about it).

Sports is not the only industry in need of a vaccine
Movie theatres are dead.

They simply will sign deals with streaming services to release their movies that way.

MrTop

EOG Master
well if they do not start/finish the leagues cable will take a hit. People are hanging on paying for an over priced deal.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
I just dont understand the hesitation in cancelling football already. So many players arent going to look forward to playing. At the end of the day they are still young kids and kids between 18 and 23 do dumb shit. I'm sure a good portion of faculty will just do online classes in the fall/winter. I get money is king but people have to accept reality.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I just dont understand the hesitation in cancelling football already. So many players arent going to look forward to playing. At the end of the day they are still young kids and kids between 18 and 23 do dumb shit. I'm sure a good portion of faculty will just do online classes in the fall/winter. I get money is king but people have to accept reality.
They are hoping for the miracle that isn’t likely to happen in the next six weeks. The irony is many of the people who want their sports to be played, but won’t go to a local restaurant (not including the people with medical issues)..

The kids want to play and the fans want to watch. Remember a key for the big programs is that a lot of the ticket money is actually a donation to the school. It's not like the NFL where no fans at games means no ticket revenue. I'm sure the big programs will beg and plead that they need the donations more than ever and ask all seat holders to continue with their gifts to the schools. So if there are no fans but TV coverage they get almost all the same money. And further, the length of the season isn't as important since it's all season ticket donations.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
The kids want to play and the fans want to watch. Remember a key for the big programs is that a lot of the ticket money is actually a donation to the school. It's not like the NFL where no fans at games means no ticket revenue. I'm sure the big programs will beg and plead that they need the donations more than ever and ask all seat holders to continue with their gifts to the schools. So if there are no fans but TV coverage they get almost all the same money. And further, the length of the season isn't as important since it's all season ticket donations.
The kids do want to play, but it’s the school’s responsibility to make sure they are as safe as can be with the virus. College sports really is a free for all now, no leadership at the top.