Phil Mickelson has wagered $1 billion, lost $100 million, new book alleges

Dell Dude

EOG Master
I don't have any sympathy for Mickelson but this is another fake story. No Diff'rent Strokes than the neverending Trump bombshell books. I don't think real people read these. A lot of money laundering to the publisher and author. Media is the buyer.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Pithy Phil summary: He bet a lot, lost a lot and bet on golf. That doesn't have the omg effect anymore like Pete Rose. His betting on golf already well known. This just takes it from private matches to official events like we didn't already assume that.

railbird

EOG Master
Pithy Phil summary: He bet a lot, lost a lot and bet on golf. That doesn't have the omg effect anymore like Pete Rose. His betting on golf already well known. This just takes it from private matches to official events like we didn't already assume that.
grifter billy got caught in web, should thx trump daily for pardon

blueline

EOG Master
Rory on mickelson :

"At least he can bet on the Ryder Cup this year,” McIlroy cracked, “because he won’t be a part of it.”

mr merlin

EOG Master
I look at phils gambling losses and think it's not that bad, so he lost about $550 million and won $450 million for a negative $100 million, that's about right isn't it?

I saw an interview with bryson and he mentioned some of the betting that goes on between him and other golfers with Phil - he said bets of $100K on practice rounds are typical.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Bryson also said that phil said he made over $50 million/yr in endorsements alone, considering that if phil lost $100 million over a 10-15 yr period again it's not that bad.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
I look at phils gambling losses and think it's not that bad, so he lost about $550 million and won $450 million for a negative $100 million, that's about right isn't it?

I saw an interview with bryson and he mentioned some of the betting that goes on between him and other golfers with Phil - he said bets of $100K on practice rounds are typical.

Just washing Saudi money….These LIV guys have money to burn….

mr merlin

EOG Master
Just washing Saudi money….These LIV guys have money to burn….
Cmon, all this(the heavy gambling) happened long ago, long before LIV, by the way, the next LIV event starts today, I expect updates from you all weekend.

One thing about phil that you commies should like is that I believe he still lives in CA and thus pays a ton of taxes, I cant understand why he doesn't move to a no/low tax state?

Rory on mickelson :

"At least he can bet on the Ryder Cup this year,” McIlroy cracked, “because he won’t be a part of it.”
Considering he would be the oldest player ever to compete in the Ryder cup it's not quite the burn the low IQ's think it is.😂🤣

Last edited:

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
This story needs to be made into a doc/movie.

I am still a bit shocked that the book by Michael Konik (The Smart Money) about being a part of the Billy Walters betting team for a while hasn't been made into something either.

I enjoyed this book alot

Behind a paywall, but a couple of articles in the RJ this past weekend on or related to Billy Walters' new book, Gambler: Secrets from a Life at Risk.

So, wasn't there a figure from history who spent his time in prison writing a book on his struggle . . . .

Heim

EOG Master
I'm not sure why Walters keeps repeating he would have not gone to prison if Mickelson had testified. The Feds had a solid
case of insider trading. There was no defense. Billy got information the general public didn't have, regardless the source.

Heim

EOG Master
I dont approve of demonizing any gambler, whether it's walters, phil or anyone else, how many gamblers here wouldn't bet or even stock trade if they got an "inside" tip?

Just stating the facts. If there was one thing Walters couldn't beat it was the stock market. He even passingly mentioned it on the '60 Minutes' interview.

His ego got in the way, he didn't need the money. As he mentioned in the book, if he wasn't in prison he might have been able to save his daughters
life. (suicide).

I don't think betting based on an inside tip is illegal, as opposed to insider stock trading (well, unless one is in Congress, where it's not against the law).

But there's going to be a scandal one day where some low-paid worker at an NFL facility -- like the janitor who is "seen but not seen" (the line from U-571) while the coach and medical staff are talking about a QB's injury -- yields to the temptation and cashes in.

And that's a situation that the NFL is helping create by letting teams play games with injury information. They can't allow that anymore with not only legalized sports betting far and wide but, to boot, the league in bed with sports betting interests in a number of contexts.

They shouldn't allow, for example, the Packers to conceal information for several weeks that Aaron Rodgers had an avulsion fracture in his throwing thumb, which markedly impacted his performance. The league is going to get burned at some point by allowing teams to do that -- as the market for what was really Rodgers' problem during that stretch is huge. Somebody is going to cash in, and it's going to damage the league's reputation now that the league has business deals with sports betting interests.

But, in contrast, on insider stock trading, Walters' situation provides a cautionary tale for anyone thinking of trading on inside information -- and federal authorities go after high-profile people with such prosecutions precisely to provide such a high profile cautionary tale for the rest of us.

Just like -- with legal sports betting spreading across the country -- the IRS ultimately is going to prosecute some high profile figure (or figures) who fails to declare and pay taxes on all of their wagering income. Once they get a hard on for a particular enforcement issue, they go after a well-known figure in order to try and jerk a knot in everyone else.

railbird

EOG Master
I don't think betting based on an inside tip is illegal, as opposed to insider stock trading (well, unless one is in Congress, where it's not against the law).

But there's going to be a scandal one day where some low-paid worker at an NFL facility -- like the janitor who is "seen but not seen" (the line from U-571) while the coach and medical staff are talking about a QB's injury -- yields to the temptation and cashes in.

And that's a situation that the NFL is helping create by letting teams play games with injury information. They can't allow that anymore with not only legalized sports betting far and wide but, to boot, the league in bed with sports betting interests in a number of contexts.

They shouldn't allow, for example, the Packers to conceal information for several weeks that Aaron Rodgers had an avulsion fracture in his throwing thumb, which markedly impacted his performance. The league is going to get burned at some point by allowing teams to do that -- as the market for what was really Rodgers' problem during that stretch is huge. Somebody is going to cash in, and it's going to damage the league's reputation now that the league has business deals with sports betting interests.

But, in contrast, on insider stock trading, Walters' situation provides a cautionary tale for anyone thinking of trading on inside information -- and federal authorities go after high-profile people with such prosecutions precisely to provide such a high profile cautionary tale for the rest of us.

Just like -- with legal sports betting spreading across the country -- the IRS ultimately is going to prosecute some high profile figure (or figures) who fails to declare and pay taxes on all of their wagering income. Once they get a hard on for a particular enforcement issue, they go after a well-known figure in order to try and jerk a knot in everyone else.
Hippa laws protect injury info, the gamblers don't have rights to know personal health info

Hippa laws protect injury info, the gamblers don't have rights to know personal health info

The NFL has been doing injury reports for decades -- including after the adoption of HIPAA in 1996.

So any HIPAA issues would appear to be eliminated by either some exception or a waiver by the players.

In any event, my issue is with NFL teams concealing injuries or the extent of injuries in season, including sometimes into the offseason, against the backdrop of the NFL requiring injury reports. It's not a matter of a gambler "having a right" to player injury info -- it's a matter of the scandal that's going to follow when someone in the facility trades on the inside information created by the concealment -- either by betting large based on the info and/or selling the inside info to some sports betting syndicate.

The NFL has been doing injury reports for decades -- including after the adoption of HIPAA in 1996.

So any HIPAA issues would appear to be eliminated by either some exception or a waiver by the players.

In any event, my issue is with NFL teams concealing injuries or the extent of injuries in season, including sometimes into the offseason, against the backdrop of the NFL requiring injury reports. It's not a matter of a gambler "having a right" to player injury info -- it's a matter of the scandal that's going to follow when someone in the facility trades on the inside information created by the concealment -- either by betting large based on the info and/or selling the inside info to some sports betting syndicate.
In layman's terms the NFL is not a healthcare provider. HIPAA does not apply.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
While this example of a janitor is valid how about an intern athletic trainer who isn't paid shit and is right in the room hearing the doc and player talk.

One call to a buddy. "Rodgers thumb isn't right"

Some props get bet close to game time.

If we really think this isn't going to keep happening we are fooling ourselves.

It is so true that insider trading is illegal unless you are an elected official.

Anyone want to go to the rabbit hole of how Nancy Pelosi is worth over a hundred million dollars while on a six figure salary? She is one of many.

Nothing to see here. Just amazing timing on stock buys and sells.

While this example of a janitor is valid how about an intern athletic trainer who isn't paid shit and is right in the room hearing the doc and player talk.

One call to a buddy. "Rodgers thumb isn't right"

Some props get bet close to game time.

If we really think this isn't going to keep happening we are fooling ourselves.

It is so true that insider trading is illegal unless you are an elected official.

Anyone want to go to the rabbit hole of how Nancy Pelosi is worth over a hundred million dollars while on a six figure salary? She is one of many.

Nothing to see here. Just amazing timing on stock buys and sells.
On paper she's a better investor than Warren Buffett.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
How is the story of the computer group and Billy Walters not been made into a lengthy doc like the MIT blackjack team.

I remember reading a long article about the history of the computer group and how it started.

I wonder how deep walters gets into this history in his book