Detroit Lions 2023 Season Thread

railbird

EOG Master

Detroit Lions betting odds​

(odds from DraftKings as of May 11, 4:00 p.m. PT)

Season Win Total Odds: 9.5 (-150/+130)

Super Bowl Odds: +1900

NFC Champion: +750

NFC North Champion: +110

Last season: 9-8, 2nd in NFC North

2023 Detroit Lions schedule​

• Week 1: @ Kansas City Chiefs (KC -6.5, Total: 53.5)
  • Week 2: vs. Seattle Seahawks (DET -2)
  • Week 3: vs. Atlanta Falcons (DET -5)
  • Week 4: @ Green Bay Packers (DET -1.5)
  • Week 5: vs. Carolina Panthers (DET -5)
  • Week 6: @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (DET -3.5)
  • Week 7: @ Baltimore Ravens (BAL -2)
  • Week 8: vs. Las Vegas Raiders (DET -3.5)
  • Week 9: BYE WEEK
  • Week 10: @ Los Angeles Chargers (LAC -2.5)
  • Week 11: vs. Chicago Bears (DET -5)
  • Week 12: vs. Green Bay Packers (DET -4)
  • Week 13: @ New Orleans Saints (DET -1.5)
  • Week 14: @. Chicago Bears (DET -1.5)
  • Week 15: vs. Denver Broncos (DET -2)
  • Week 16: @ Minnesota Vikings (MIN -1)
  • Week 17: @ Dallas Cowboys (DAL -2.5)
  • Week 18: vs. Minnesota Vikings (DET -2.5)
carolina is better than seattle

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated

This is truly unreal. I've been a Lions season ticket holder since they moved into Ford Field. The prices have been relatively been fairly maintained. My seats are on the 40 yard line. The face value works out to be about $130 per game. I would think in NY or NE the same seat/location would be double or triple?

When they have raised prices, it has usually been in small un-noticeable increments. If we make the playoffs or have any kind of success, I'm guessing with the demand and all, the pricing structure will change dramatically.

Also, all these years, I have bought prepaid parking at a lot 2 blocks away from the stadium. You would get passes to all the games at once. The cost was $500 for the season or $50 per game. For this season, they abandoned the prepaid concept. Now if you want to park there, you have to show up on the day of the game, without any guarantees, they could be sold out and you're stuck. When the USFL was happening at Ford Field, this lot was charging $95 to park there on game day. I'm guessing for NFL, it will be $120?

kane

EOG master
NFC Central is wide open. kane may be onto something with Green Bay. Rodgers was terrible last year.
I like their roster, it will all depend on their QB, the kid doesn't need to be Mahomes, but if he's a competent game manager type I like my Over 7.5, I also have them +350 to win the division and LeFleur +1700 COY. Seems like this place has a lot of Lions and Bears fans, I'll be on an island with the Pack

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
The NFL probably has not seen a team this hyped like the Lions in a very long time. Might be a good bet to fade them in the first half of game 1 vs KC

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
I just checked, tickets in my section for the first preseason game vs NYG are going for about $90 each!!!!! Unheard of!

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated

Campbell’s Lions preparing for the noisy buzzsaw that awaits​

Allen Park – Expectations are as high as they’ve ever been for the Lions. Perhaps you’ve heard them. Division favorites. National TV mainstays. Super Bowl sleepers.
For many NFL teams, that’s nothing new. For the Lions, it’s such a rare phenomenon, it draws media visitors from across the country, who splash Dan Campbell and Brad Holmes across TVs and websites, enchanted by their colorful candor. It draws curious onlookers to Lions camp, as the stands fill at every open practice and cheering fans occasionally even chant the owner’s name.
[IMG alt="Dan Campbell's enthusiasm is one reason the public is bought into the Lions' chances for 2023."]https://archive.ph/4FRH9/832c79b7cadfcc66e4ffb711a094b8269a0fb912.webp[/IMG]
Dan Campbell's enthusiasm is one reason the public is bought into the Lions' chances for 2023. Daniel Mears, Detroit News

This feels like the Upside Down, a reversal of perspective that happened so suddenly, it’s still somewhat hard to comprehend. We don’t know where this ride will end, or exactly where it started, or whether it’s actually real. A mere nine months ago, the Lions were 1-6 (4-19-1 under the new regime) and owner Sheila Hamp publicly expressed frustration, but also issued support.

Did it turn with the next victory, 15-9 over Green Bay? Or with consecutive road triumphs over Chicago and the New York Giants? From a national perspective, it turned in the season finale, when the Lions, freshly eliminated from playoff contention, wrecked Aaron Rodgers’ farewell in Green Bay with a fearless effort and finished 9-8.
However and wherever it began, it’s now in the hands of Campbell. As the old saying goes, with high expectations comes enormous responsibility to win the flippin’ division for the first time in 30 years, or something like that. A few days ago, the team announced it had sold out its season tickets — 55,000 in all — for the first time in Ford Field’s 21-year existence.

Fans are so inspired, they’ve turned their emotional investment into unprecedented financial investment. Delivering a return is a responsibility that could shake anyone if they let it, or felt it.
“No, I don’t feel weight,” Campbell said before practice Saturday. “I feel wind underneath my freaking wings, man. That’s what I feel. Truthfully.”
His cadence rose as he threw out his arms, like wings. Either he was sarcastically acknowledging it — yeah, of course I feel it, I’m not an idiot. Or he was playfully dismissing the notion because it serves no purpose. He was sort of smiling and sort of joking, but not completely.
“Absolutely, absolutely, I love this, man,” Campbell continued. “This is outstanding. I love our fans. I love that they feel it like we feel it. And no, this is not a burden, this is not pressure, this is not weight, this is, man, this gives me inspiration for me and our guys.”

Too much hype?​

There’s no hiding now, not that Campbell and the Lions want to. In some ways, they’re in the ideal spot for heightened interest. They haven’t accomplished anything yet, literally, so there can’t be much hubris. There is no “Won 8 of last 10 games in 2022” banner to be raised.

Campbell began training camp two weeks ago suggesting the hype train was “out of control.” Jared Goff chuckled and said, “It’s funny to me that you go 9-8, you don’t make the playoffs, and now all of a sudden you’re a favorite.”

These are healthy attitudes. Yet according to Vegas, the Lions are the heaviest betting favorite in any division. Holmes marvels at the acclaim but doesn’t necessarily downplay it. The Lions are eons beyond where they were two years ago, but they needed eons of progress just to catch up. If we’re following the hype train analogy, they’re expected to blow past several whistlestops this season.

“I will say it’s a little shocking to me — not (the Lions) making the postseason, but the height of the hype train,” Holmes said on 97.1 The Ticket last week. “I didn’t think it would be to that magnitude, but it’s very much appreciated. At the end of the day, we just block out that noise. That’s been the message to the team, and the guys have done a good job handling it.”

Since Hamp took over in 2020 and eventually, mercifully broomed the Bob Quinn-Matt Patricia regime, the Lions have tried to do things the opposite of how they used to. They’re transparent, not defensive. They talk about communication and collaboration and shun divisiveness. If we thought those were buzzwords at first, they’re evident now. On the field, Holmes and Campbell laugh and chat while special assistant Chris Spielman stalks the turf and Hamp mingles with fans, cheerfully signing autographs.
Instead of lamenting the public’s obsession with the franchise’s woeful past, the Lions are determined to bury it, not just with words. The only way to do it is stick to the plan, and not stand pat. The Lions had a top-five offense last season and decided it should be even better, bringing in a whole new backfield by signing David Montgomery and drafting Jahmyr Gibbs. Second-round tight end Sam LaPorta looks like an instant-impact weapon. If the offensive line can stay healthy, it could be stronger than ever.

After a recent practice in which the offense dominated, it still wasn’t enough.
“What we’re striving for as an offense is to be the best, and we’re still not close to where we want to be,” said Amon-Ra St. Brown, who had 106 receptions for 1,161 yards in 2022. “For me, it’s like, you’re only as good as your last year. This is a new year, we’re all at zero. I have zero catches, zero touchdowns, zero everything. … I have Twitter, I have Instagram, I see stuff. I don’t forget things, whether negative or positive, and I like to prove people wrong.”
He famously recalls every painful moment when he was drafted in the fourth round in 2021, the 17th receiver taken. He can recite the other 16 in order. He leads the team by stats and by stature, with an insatiable work ethic. He hasn’t varied his routine, taking 202 passes from the automated throwing machine after every practice.

Campbell's Sup-er​

When you wonder whether the Lions can fulfill expectations, and you wonder why Campbell doesn’t wonder about it, St. Brown is one of the reasons.

“A guy like Saint, he sets the bar,” Campbell said. “That’s where it is, and now can we get above that? Because I know this, if it’s below, it isn’t good enough. He has not changed one bit since he was a rookie. … If I’m a young guy, I’m watching him every play. And my biggest fear is, I don’t ever want to take him for granted.”
Are the Lions hoping second-year receiver Jameson Williams takes notice? Sure. Veteran Marvin Jones is here to help as well, and admits he’s shocked how different the atmosphere is compared to his first stint with the Lions.

As practice ended, team president Rod Wood smiled at the scene. In addition to the season-ticket sellout (21,000 of the 55,000 were new purchasers), almost every suite is sold. The team offers 3,500 free tickets online for open practices and each one has been grabbed so far. I asked where he thought the fervor began and he mentioned HBO’s “Hard Knocks,” which is a solid starting point.

Then Campbell walked past and Wood nodded in his direction.

“A lot of it is that guy,” Wood said. “Fans love him, players love him and they want to play for him. And I think he makes us a fun team to root for.”
The Lions take chances, and not just with their penchant for fourth-down gambles. With their roster, with their offense, with guys like Williams, Gibbs and LaPorta, drafted higher than expected, and a guy like St. Brown, taken lower than expected.

It's led by Campbell, who embraces the weight to end the franchise’s wait. All is good in the sunny, giddy days of summer. The Giants are coming to town this week for combined practices leading to the Friday night preseason opener, another game that won’t count in the grand scheme. Starting soon, they’ll all count more than ever, and at least the Lions have a healthy sense of what’s coming.

Bob.wojnowski@detroitnews.com
Twitter: bobwojnowski

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated

With Teddy Bridgewater as insurance, Lions loaded offense is fully fortified​

Allen Park — The Lions keep acting like a contender. Case in point, they finally added an experienced backup quarterback, Teddy Bridgewater, the most important insurance policy an NFL team can purchase.
The Lions keep looking like a contender. Case in point, Dan Campbell talked about the state of his offense Tuesday and said, “In a three-year period, this is the best we’ve felt about this roster … We have the most game-ready (players), I would say.”

The Lions keep sounding like a contender. Case in point, Jared Goff said, “We’re certainly much further along. If last year was (Level) 101, we’re in 201 now.”
And yes, the Lions keep showing they could play like a contender, piece by piece, practice by practice. No one was keeping score during the Lions-Giants joint practice Tuesday, and no one should be fooled by training camp flashes. But another overflow crowd at the Lions facility was voting with its voices, roaring when rookie Jahmyr Gibbs took a short pass from Goff and scooted past Giants linebacker Bobby Okereke to score easily.
I refuse to dissect every training-camp drill, but here’s my expert analysis: When the Lions’ first-string offense went against the Giants’ first-string defense, the ball ended up in the end zone way more often than not. Goff was sharp. The new running back duo of Gibbs and David Montgomery made defenders miss. Amon-Ra St. Brown remained machine-like, catching anything within a three-foot radius of his body. Marvin Jones Jr. made several contested grabs. Rookie tight end Sam LaPorta kept getting open in the seams.
All those pass-catchers will be needed because Jameson Williams is suspended the first six games, which makes these practices vital for him. He didn’t have a big impact in the downfield game Tuesday, but made a couple of nice catches. Perhaps more telling, Williams worked with receivers coach Antwaan Randle El for about 15 minutes before practice, catching miniature footballs fired at a rapid pace.

Goff ready to go​

The Lions and Giants practice again Wednesday, then play their preseason opener at Ford Field on Friday night. In many ways, the practices can be more important than the preseason game, when few starters are expected to play. Goff probably will sit and let Bridgewater re-wet his feet starting next week, because Campbell has seen enough to know Goff is primed.

“I feel like he’s right where he needs to be,” Campbell said of Goff. “He’s in a good place, he’s making big throws, I feel like he’s on top of the protection. I mean there’s nothing that would tell me he’s not gonna have another good year for us.”

It might be difficult for Goff to match the ridiculous accuracy he showed finishing 2022 with an interception-less streak of 324 passes. But it’s not a stretch to say Goff is poised to take another leadership leap, and looks as confident as ever.
Although he doesn’t know Bridgewater personally, he said he’s heard great things about the 30-year-old veteran. Bridgewater has previously played for five teams, and was 5-0 in relief of Drew Brees in 2019 with the Saints, when Campbell was an assistant there.
You can tell the Lions are figuring things out when they recognize no-brainers — and signing Bridgewater, the best free-agent backup remaining, was a no-brainer. With Ben Johnson’s ever-expanding offense and Gibbs’ ever-expanding role, Goff's ever-expanding confidence resonates more and more.
He quipped the other day on the “Pardon My Take” podcast that the Detroit media “have an easy time writing bad things.” He downplayed it Tuesday, but admitted he enjoys a big healthy chip as much as the next heavily scrutinized quarterback.
“You always want to find that edge someway somehow,” Goff said. “That’s a smaller edge for me. I think I’ve gotten more personal ones that internally fire me up, but yeah it’s always good to have the little chip on your shoulder that you want to prove people wrong.”
Asked if he felt he didn’t get the respect he deserves, Goff shrugged.
“Don’t care,” he said. “Don’t even know if I do or not. Try to win games for this team. That’s all.”
Bridgewater is coming in to supplant Nate Sudfeld as the backup, not to challenge Goff. “We just need to see if (Bridgewater) still has it, that’s all,” Campbell said. The hope is, he still has it but won’t need to show it, as long as Goff stays healthy.

Plug and play​

If we’ve learned anything so far in camp — and I think we have — it’s that Brad Holmes did indeed draft plug-and-play rookies, from Gibbs to LaPorta to linebacker Jack Campbell, even potentially to third-round defensive lineman Brodric Martin. There have been no stunning revelations, another sign of steady progress. The overhauled secondary has been as sticky and animated as advertised, and by all accounts, the Lions defense sufficiently harassed Giants quarterback Daniel Jones.
Veteran linebacker Alex Anzalone joked he was just glad to face a different opponent after a few weeks of chasing down the Lions’ speedsters.
““Not having to cover (Jahmyr) Gibbs out of the backfield was nice,” Anzalone said. “Once he gets away from you and gets separation, it’s tough to recover.”

Talking like a contender is not the same as acting like a contender, and the Lions recognize that. There’s no assurance they’ll be as good as forecast, but there is insurance. The Lions purchased the Bridgewater policy to protect against flooding and injury, and you can argue their offense now is as complete as ever. The offensive line should be a significant strength, as long as it remains healthy and Frank Ragnow’s injured toe behaves itself.
It’ll get super serious here soon, with the opener at Kansas City a month away. Maybe that’s why Campbell began his early-morning press conference practically out of breath, as if he’d just run around the building twice, stopping only to swig a gallon of coffee.
“I can’t wait, man,” Campbell said. “If you have a competitive nature about you, this is as good as it gets. I’m pretty fired up right now.”
No one’s manufacturing energy or excitement around here these days, not necessary, not with this offense. The Lions have plenty of polishable pieces, including a rambunctious rookie runner and a quarterback who knows himself and his status better than ever.

Gibbs grew up in my home town Kid is fast and allusive reminds me of 1976 Tony Dorsett with some decent blocking this kid just needs daylight and he is gone
I watched him rush for over 400 yards one night and about 5 Tds before the half He had NFL speed in HS has managed to stay healthy in College Lions get him in his prime Pontiac will have something special if he can stay healthy

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
Very good article about how the Detroit Lions got to where they are now:

Detroit Lions owner Sheila Hamp has been bold, different and smart. It's paying dividends​

The Detroit Lions' hype train has reached a stunning level.
“I love Dan Campbell," former NBA star Charles Barkley said on “The Bill Simmons Podcast.” "When I'm watching Dan Campbell, I'm like, ‘I want a do-over, I want to play for that dude.' So, the No. 1 thing I'm looking for is, I want the Lions to do well, because I love me some Dan Campbell.”
Hold on, the Chuck Wagon has hitched onto the Lions' hype train, too?
This is getting surreal.
Suddenly, this organization has believers spread across the nation. Campbell is beloved, oddsmakers in Las Vegas are predicting a winning record, fans expect the playoffs and the team has so much talent it actually had to release some good players on cut day. It makes you wonder: How did we get here?

If you ask me, everything has changed because of owner Sheila Hamp.
Specifically, eight moments that changed everything.

Dec 17, 2019: The big mistake​

OK, so Hamp doesn't have a perfect track record, although she has a little bit of cover.
Hamp and her mother, Martha Firestone Ford (then technically the owner), decided to keep general manager Bob Quinn and head coach Matt Patricia for the 2020 season. "(Changing coaches) would have been the popular choice, the popular decision, and we knew that," Hamp told a small group of reporters at the time. "But as I say, we’re doing what is right for the organization."
Ah, nope. I thought it was a big mistake.
And it came with long-term ramifications. The front office was put in a win-now mandate and decided to draft cornerback Jeff Okudah at No. 3 overall, instead of a quarterback like Justin Herbert.
Another mistake — Okudah is no longer a Lion.
But Dave Birkett, our Lions beat writer, was one of the few reporters in that room with Hamp and mentioned he saw something important.
He wrote: “In her first lengthy interaction with reporters since taking a more prominent role as the team's most visible vice chair, (Hamp) came off as smart, strong and decisive, someone well aware of how Tuesday's decision will be received publicly but confident enough to make the call anyway — or urge her mother to, at the very least.”
And that decision set the stage for everything else. In my eyes, she learned from that decision.

June 23, 2020: Taking over​

Hamp was named the Lions' new owner, replacing her 94-year-old mother.
"One of my first things that I want to do is set up with Rod (Wood, team president) some meetings with other parts of the organization that I really don't know that well," Hamp said. "I really want to take a deep dive and understand the whole thing."
Instead of coming in as a know-it-all, she wanted to learn — a humble, smart decision.
Then, she said something interesting — at least in hindsight. "Well, I think, for one thing, a winning organization —there's a lot of consistency," she said. "You've got to get the right mix of people and, I think, stay with it."
The right mix of people — that might be the most important thing she has ever said. Because it is her underlying philosophy, and it would show up months later when she hired a new front office and coach. More than anything, she wanted to put together the right group of people.

Nov. 28, 2020: Smart and decisive​

Just 157 days after being named the Lions owner, Hamp fired Quinn and Patricia.
“It clearly wasn't working," Hamp said on a Zoom call with reporters.
Although it might have come several months too late, it was a smart decision and it set an important tone while saying several things:
  1. 1.Hamp will not accept losing.
  2. 2.She is willing to make a bold decision.
  3. 3.She was smart about it, pulling the plug before the end of the season to start looking for replacements.
  4. 4.She could see the big picture.
“We are going to do an extremely thorough and comprehensive search for both positions,” Hamp said at the time. “And yes, we have some ideas on what we're looking for, but again, not clearly defined.”
It sounded like owner-speak at the time, but it would prove true, if not incredibly important. She was willing to listen to new ideas, willing to think outside the box.

Dec. 4, 2020: Handling pressure​

That's when a bipartisan group of 36 state lawmakers sent Hamp an official letter urging her to hire Robert Saleh as the Lions' next head coach.
Maybe Saleh, a Dearborn native, would have turned things around in Detroit — I thought the then San Francisco 49ers defensive coordinator would make a great hire. He appears to have the New York Jets, who hired him in January 2021, headed in the right direction. But there is no guarantee he would have had the same chemistry with Brad Holmes.
Interestingly, Saleh has won 11 games in two seasons with the Jets, while Campbell has won 12 in two seasons in Detroit.
Again, the point isn't about Saleh. But passing on him said something important: Hamp will not cave to pressure —political or otherwise — and that’s key for any leader.

Dec. 14, 2020: Willing to change her mind​

That's when Hamp wrote a letter to Lions employees and said: "This process will play out over the next six weeks or so, with the result being a well-vetted and proven head coach/GM team that can finally take the Lions where we all so earnestly wish to go — to the top!"
At that moment, it was clear that she wanted an experienced coach or GM.
Spoiler alert: Neither Campbell nor Holmes was a proven head coach or GM.
So, it’s clear that she was willing to change her mind — an important trait for any leader.
KEEP THEM HEALTHY:Nate Sudfeld validates Dan Campbell's decision to sit Detroit Lions starters in preseason

Dec. 16, 2020: Bringing back No. 54​

Hamp convinced Chris Spielman — the legendary Lions linebacker — to leave the broadcast booth and work in the Lions front office, just in time to be part of the hiring process.
I’d argue this was one of the most significant moves that Hamp has made.
When you talk about the Lions' culture right now — the focus on toughness and pure football players that permeates everything — we don’t give enough credit to Hamp for hiring Spielman. Because every move creates the next one.
Think of it this way: Without Spielman in his role, would the Lions have taken such a big risk in hiring Campbell?

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated

Jan. 14, 2021: Finding a new way​

The Lions officially interviewed 12 people for their GM job, several of whom had impressive resumes.
They interviewed former Kansas City Chiefs GM Scott Pioli, who won three Super Bowl rings as the New England Patriots' personnel director.
They interviewed former Atlanta Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff, a two-time NFL executive of the year.
They also interviewed ESPN analyst Louis Riddick.
Think about how that might have changed everything.
I personally love him on ESPN, but consider what he said on that network's “Get Up” show: "Matthew Stafford should be sitting right where he is. They build around him, Detroit'll be just fine. Does that answer your question?"
If Hamp had hired Riddick, Stafford might still be the QB, and this rebuild would not be in the same place.
But Hamp hired Holmes out of the Los Angeles Rams' front office.

In describing Holmes, Hamp said: "Definitely cutting edge, definitely different from, I think, pretty much, what we've been doing here. So Brad's gonna bring a lot of new ideas and as I said, analytics are fabulous. And he always says get as much information as possible. But then there's the intuitive part of it, too. And he's got that as well."
At the same time they were hiring a GM, they were interviewing head coaching candidates.
By the time the Lions hired Holmes to be the general manager, they were already moving toward hiring Campbell as the head coach.
In her biggest move as owner — in a defining move, really — he was hiring a 44-year-old coach and a 41-year-old first-time GM.
Think of the courage it took to make those two hires.
Think about how bold it was.
To bring together two men who had never worked together. To play matchmaker.
It could have blown up in her face. But it has worked wonderfully. Because she trusted her gut and brought together the right mix.

Oct. 26, 2022: Staying the course​

It’s hard to remember now, in the midst of this summer's hype, but this team started out last season 1-5.
There were serious questions about Campbell and Holmes. Shoot, I questioned them. After the Lions lost four straight, Hamp tried to calm everybody down.
“I know this is difficult," Hamp said in an attempt to show her support for the new regime. "A rebuild is hard. But we really believe in our process, we really believe we’re going to turn this thing around the right way, through the draft. It requires patience, it’s frustrating. Am I frustrated? Absolutely. Are the fans frustrated? Absolutely. Are you guys frustrated? But I think we really are making progress."
At that moment, Campbell had a 4-18-1 record in 23 games as the Lions' coach (and a 5-7 record in a 2015 interim stint with the Miami Dolphins). "What I really have confidence in is the process we went through in the first place when we hired Brad and Dan,” she said. "It was extremely thorough and we really believe we’ve come up with the right people.”
When asked if Campbell and Holmes' jobs were safe no matter how the Lions finished the season, Hamp stopped short of giving her full support.
"I think we really are making progress," Hamp said. "We're only one-third of the way through the season; we've got 11 more games to go, so I just don't want everyone to push the panic button and give up on the ship, because I think we've got the right people in place to pull this off. "
Now, looking back, it doesn’t seem like such a bold, risky decision. In hindsight, it seems wise. She left herself wiggle room to make a change after the season. And she gave Campbell a chance to turn the season around. Which is exactly what happened.
After that statement from Hamp, the Lions won eight of their final 11 games.
Granted, three of those wins were by four points or less — all on the road (against the Bears, Jets and Packers).
(A word of caution here: Man, how things would feel different if they hadn't won those close games.)
IT IS TIME:It's undeniable: Lions built to win now — and in future

All aboard, this train is leaving the station​

Now, eight key dates later, here we are.
The Lions hype train is chugging along, picking up newcomers every day.
Expectations are soaring, and this team has enough talent for a special season.
It took strength to fire the old regime.
It took foresight to hire Spielman.
It took guts to hire two unproven 40-somethings to run this organization.
It took some imagination to do it this way — hiring a GM and coach at the same time, like some crazy matchmaker.
But it’s working. Holmes and Campbell look like the right mix, have changed the culture, changed everything. This still feels fresh and new and — frankly — completely different.
And the credit starts with Hamp.
Contact Jeff Seidel at jseidel@freepress.com or follow him @seideljeff.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
The hype and build up to tonight's game has been incredible around here.

This is Detroit's Super Bowl.

Very rarely has any Detroit sports owner been interviewed, but Sheila Hamp is feeling the fan excitement as well.

Dan Miller is the Fox 2 sports director and does the radio play by play for the Lions.

Sheila Hamp interview