MLB Hot Stove League news, notes, and rumors

TobyTyler

EOG Dedicated
seems like too much, probably a year too many, but guy coming off his best season. he's 31. Molina is pushing 40.

only Realmuto can match him past two seasons

Valuist

EOG Dedicated
seems like too much, probably a year too many, but guy coming off his best season. he's 31. Molina is pushing 40.

only Realmuto can match him past two seasons
But a big difference playing in climate controlled Miller Park and the Cell, or the Rate or whatever they call it now. We will see how he handles playing in cold. He will get plenty of chances.

The Reds and FA second baseman Mike Moustakas have agreed on a 4 year deal worth 64 Million, as a Reds fan I'm not used to them spending money in free agency, but from what I've been reading they might not be done

The Braves and FA pitcher Cole Hamels have agreed on a 1 year 18M contract, nice signing by Atlanta
They only went one year so limited downside. But I'm not sure how much he can give them at this point. He'll be 36 years old and hasn't thrown over 200 innings since 2015 and has had an over 4 ERA in each of the last 3 seasons.

The Phils need starting pitching, and when healthy Wheeler is a good pitcher, but he's got a big time injury history, they're taking a risk giving him 5 years, and that's a lot of money
Way too much for Wheeler. They still have a lot of years with McCutcheon's contract. Arrieta will come off books after 2020. Not really sure what they are trying to accomplish.

The Braves and FA pitcher Cole Hamels have agreed on a 1 year 18M contract, nice signing by Atlanta
Agree.
Hamels has an extensive and impressive resume with some outstanding achievements on the mound with some quality teams
including playoff experience.
He’s also got some brief history with Alex Anthopolous in his time with the Jays when Hamels almost went to Toronto in a trade.

He could also add value to Braves as a “Crash Davis” type mentor to young pitchers (Bull Durham reference).

They only went one year so limited downside. But I'm not sure how much he can give them at this point. He'll be 36 years old and hasn't thrown over 200 innings since 2015 and has had an over 4 ERA in each of the last 3 seasons.
While he might not be the pitcher he was once, the Braves don't need him to be a horse, he just needs to be a solid part of their rotation, and in his two years with the Cubs he started 39 games and pitched to an ERA of 3.30, I wouldn't give him a long term deal, but for one year I think it's a good signing and will help solidify the Brave's rotation

While he might not be the pitcher he was once, the Braves don't need him to be a horse, he just needs to be a solid part of their rotation, and in his two years with the Cubs he started 39 games and pitched to an ERA of 3.30, I wouldn't give him a long term deal, but for one year I think it's a good signing and will help solidify the Brave's rotation
I saw your post and thought there's no way the 3.30 was correct. I looked it up and yes, it was correct. But.....that was mostly due to his 12 starts with them in 2018, after not pitching well with Texas. His walk numbers now over 3 walks per 9 IP last 3 years, and alternative ERA stats suggest he's an over 4 ERA pitcher. I have nothing against Hamels, who gave the Cubs a big boost in 2018, but at 36 years of age with declining control and stamina, this does not sway me to not bet the Braves RSW total under, assuming that number is at least in the low 90s.