NFL Week 17 discussion, plays, and whatever else

The Dolphins needed a QB, so they took one, they did what everyone expected. As far as the Packers, yeah, they could have used another player besides the QB they took, you can criticize GB if you want, but not Miami

In a way the Packers were sort of vindicated because realistically the only position that was screaming out for a pick was WR. Other than Claypool, none of the other receivers drafted after 21 have really been that important so far. Sure could say Claypool was there, but so many WRs were drafted and made little impact so far so the odds they pick him and he's playing a big role are pretty low. Might even say drafting Love lit an even bigger fire under Rodgers and drove him to another monster season.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Cards bet just keeps getting stronger. Kupp and Akers are the kinds of players a rookie QB would need, safety blanket receivers to check down to. Realistically Arizona has to shit the bed badly or have a Covid outbreak not to come out with a W here. Rams probably just thinking we have to hope GB takes care of business and we get these guys back for the playoffs.

This game should be a strong under.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Aaron Jones could be a decent under candidate. He's dealing with two injuries; he had a bad toe going into the Tenn game, then suffered a hip injury that caused him to miss part of the remainder. He did return to rip off a 59 yard run, helping those of us who bet him over his rush total. But he clearly stepped out of bounds and was gifted an extra 30 yards or so when Tenn didn't challenge. Backup Dillon ran for over 120 yards and looked good. I see no reason for Jones to get a heavy workload, with the playoffs coming, and Dillon more than capable.
I am playing Dillon in some DK tourneys this week.

kane

EOG master
In a way the Packers were sort of vindicated because realistically the only position that was screaming out for a pick was WR. Other than Claypool, none of the other receivers drafted after 21 have really been that important so far. Sure could say Claypool was there, but so many WRs were drafted and made little impact so far so the odds they pick him and he's playing a big role are pretty low. Might even say drafting Love lit an even bigger fire under Rodgers and drove him to another monster season.

My point was, Miami needed a QB, no one criticized them for taking one, GB didn't need one, they took a guy who, barring an injury to Rodgers, will likely never play for them. GB is open to being second guessed, Miami isn't

Another game I'm kind of waiting on to see if it goes up more is Detroit +7. I can't come up with a good reason for the Vikings to show up strong here, feels like a real disappointment with how they got hot and looked like a playoff team at times, but now see no reason to right the ship after some really terrible efforts. Add in their best player being out for a sad reason, just screams out we're going to mail this one in. Have to hold my nose to make this pick on a bad Lions team, but I could see them being motivated to at least end this on a high note and not two bad home losses.

My point was, Miami needed a QB, no one criticized them for taking one, GB didn't need one, they took a guy who, barring an injury to Rodgers, will likely never play for them. GB is open to being second guessed, Miami isn't

I agree with your point, sorry responded to yours instead of the earlier thread. Reaching to take QBs is such a bad idea but almost every GM does it because stupid owners and fan bases base all their judgments on what you did with the QB position.

MrTop

EOG Master
miami had a QB.. They went cheaper with getting rid of tannyhill. So they pick up a player or two to build for future. If the drafts go well with other positions they will be fine. If they don't they will need tooa to step up even more.

kane

EOG master
Another game I'm kind of waiting on to see if it goes up more is Detroit +7. I can't come up with a good reason for the Vikings to show up strong here, feels like a real disappointment with how they got hot and looked like a playoff team at times, but now see no reason to right the ship after some really terrible efforts. Add in their best player being out for a sad reason, just screams out we're going to mail this one in. Have to hold my nose to make this pick on a bad Lions team, but I could see them being motivated to at least end this on a high note and not two bad home losses.

Do you know if Stafford is playing?

kane

EOG master
miami had a QB.. They went cheaper with getting rid of tannyhill. So they pick up a player or two to build for future. If the drafts go well with other positions they will be fine. If they don't they will need tooa to step up even more.

Tannehill was here for 8 years, in those 8 years he was nothing more than average, if he had played for the Dolphins the way he's played for the Titans he probably would still be here, 8 years is long enough, it was time to move on

kane

EOG master
I've always wondered what type of career Stafford would have had if he was drafted by a competent franchise

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
If Stafford isn’t playing, it’s another under I’m playing.

MrTop

EOG Master
Tannehill was here for 8 years, in those 8 years he was nothing more than average, if he had played for the Dolphins the way he's played for the Titans he probably would still be here, 8 years is long enough, it was time to move on

the team sucked.. they were going back and forth with qb.. k. white even said they did not know what they were doing. should of left tannyhill in there.. Tanny hill goes to better team and put they over the top.. hard to win without a team. Tannyhill did not have one. Many hall of famers could not take their team to a SB and win with out a team..look at early aikman ...marino his whole career. Marino had no defense. Ever. maybe except his first year. With a dee marino win 3-5 SB

kane

EOG master
the team sucked.. they were going back and forth with qb.. k. white even said they did not know what they were doing. should of left tannyhill in there.. Tanny hill goes to better team and put they over the top.. hard to win without a team. Tannyhill did not have one. Many hall of famers could not take their team to a SB and win with out a team..look at early aikman ...marino his whole career. Marino had no defense. Ever. maybe except his first year. With a dee marino win 3-5 SB

Topper, the guy was mediocre for 8 years, it was time to move on, the fans would have revolted had they not moved on from Tannehill and drafted a young QB, of course it wasn't all Tannehill's fault, the team never had a lot of talent around him, but 8 years of mediocrity was enough. In his 8 years in Miami they made the playoffs once, and he was hurt that year and missed the playoff game, I'm happy for the success he's had in Tennessee, but 8 years was long enough and it was time to move on

MrTop

EOG Master
Topper, the guy was mediocre for 8 years, it was time to move on, the fans would have revolted had they not moved on from Tannehill and drafted a young QB, of course it wasn't all Tannehill's fault, the team never had a lot of talent around him, but 8 years of mediocrity was enough. In his 8 years in Miami they made the playoffs once, and he was hurt that year and missed the playoff game, I'm happy for the success he's had in Tennessee, but 8 years was long enough and it was time to move on

that was not it at all.. tannyhill signed for 100 million... they had to get rid of the most expensive player to build from within ....the balance of money was all screwed
up... cheaper labor was needed ..build the team with trades and picks... as long as miami picks and trades turn out ....it works....

kane

EOG master
Topper, after he was released by Miami he couldn't find a starters job, not one team in the league wanted to sign him as their their starting QB, so he goes to Tennessee to back up Mariota, he gets a chance when Mariota gets hurt, and he made the most of it, but remember, no one signed him to be their starter after being released, that tells you something

MrTop

EOG Master
Topper, after he was released by Miami he couldn't find a starters job, not one team in the league wanted to sign him as their their starting QB, so he goes to Tennessee to back up Mariota, he gets a chance when Mariota gets hurt, and he made the most of it, but remember, no one signed him to be their starter after being released, that tells you something

kane you are thinking like a fan not a GM... the fins could not afford the contract coming up is why they traded him.. easier to dump a salary then pay... think Theo...cubs.. win WS theo did the same thing

MrTop

EOG Master

never released by miami

kane

EOG master
kane you are thinking like a fan not a GM... the fins could not afford the contract coming up is why they traded him.. easier to dump a salary then pay... think Theo...cubs.. win WS theo did the same thing

If they thought he was worth the money, they would have kept him, all the top QB's in the league get paid big, if he was making less they still would have looked to move on

kane

EOG master
never released by miami

Okay, I thought he was released, I see they traded him for a fourth round pick, so the fact that the best they could do was a fourth rounder means he wasn't exactly coveted by teams, and the Titans picked him up to the their backup

MrTop

EOG Master
Okay, I thought he was released, I see they traded him for a fourth round pick, so the fact that the best they could do was a fourth rounder means he wasn't exactly coveted by teams, and the Titans picked him up to the their backup

wrong again.... they would of had to pay a big contract to tannihilll ..........that would of put them unbalanced in money... same reason why a baseball team unloads a player for more worth during the offseason....the longer you hold on to the player... the less he is worth during the year

GM 101

MrTop

EOG Master
If they thought he was worth the money, they would have kept him, all the top QB's in the league get paid big, if he was making less they still would have looked to move on

Kane they needed players plus to free up money going ahead.... this way everyone is young together.... it all works... if the trades and picks work out....... think the Astros

MrTop

EOG Master

same reason why Jeter got rid of the guy that hit 55 homeruns,,,,,,,,,,,,,go cheaper build within with picks and trades

kane

EOG master
You said they should have kept him, now you're giving me reasons why they shouldn't have kept him

kane

EOG master

You say they should have kept him, but then keep posting how they did the right thing by trading him

MrTop

EOG Master
You say they should have kept him, but then keep posting how they did the right thing by trading him

for money...so they did not have to spend..... please read why the marlins traded the 55 homerun guy that went to the yankees....same situation

MrTop

EOG Master

during the 8 years is when they should of kept him at QB,,,,, not when they traded him.... kenny white an odds maker said they should of left him while playing at miami at QB not shuffle him with the other qb cause he was the better QB.... when his contract came close they did the correct thing to trade and get younger

MrTop

EOG Master
why do you think jeter signed that girl to work as GM ? simple she worked for cashman.. she knows the money game what players are worth per dollar...

choslamshe

EOG Master
Aaron Jones could be a decent under candidate. He's dealing with two injuries; he had a bad toe going into the Tenn game, then suffered a hip injury that caused him to miss part of the remainder. He did return to rip off a 59 yard run, helping those of us who bet him over his rush total. But he clearly stepped out of bounds and was gifted an extra 30 yards or so when Tenn didn't challenge. Backup Dillon ran for over 120 yards and looked good. I see no reason for Jones to get a heavy workload, with the playoffs coming, and Dillon more than capable.

I have cashed on you props insights. Thank you for your contributions

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Lots of people I have noticed or it appears have passed away in recent times non - Covid in the age range of 45-55

Amazing that USA life expectancy in 1860 was 39.4 years, in 1900 was 48.2 years, and in 1940 was 62.1 years (over 50% of folks didn't make it to Social Security retirement age). Now its around 78.8 years.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Amazing that USA life expectancy in 1860 was 39.4 years, in 1900 was 48.2 years, and in 1940 was 62.1 years (over 50% of folks didn't make it to Social Security retirement age). Now its around 78.8 years.
I think this will be the first year it declines.

Valuist

EOG Master
So what is the over/under on players out due to Covid between now and the start of the early games? We can have a real shit show in the playoffs. Can you imagine a playoff game on a Tuesday?