Detroit Lions 2023 Season Thread

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated

Pat Caputo: Stafford hovering over Lions as Sandman​

Amazing. Indisputable. Unnerving.

After all the Lions have been through, and now accomplished, the ghost of Matthew Stafford still looms.

As the Lions’ celebrate their first division title in more than three decades, and the home playoff game it brings, if the standings remain unchanged after the final two weeks of the regular season, the specter of Stafford lingers like a line from Metallica.

He could be Sandman. “Exit light. Enter night…off to never, never land.”

It’s the two-ton elephant in the room. It’d be the most Lions’ thing ever if Stafford won the first Lions’ playoff game at Ford Field, but with the opposition, especially given he’s won a Super Bowl since leaving Detroit.

Ah, the mixed emotions about Stafford. He sure had his resident sycophants as Lions’ QB, or to his detractors, apologists.

No one, though, doubted his arm talent. And this may be his best season under the circumstances. The Rams have been gutted since their all-or-nothing Super Bowl run.

Yet, Stafford has helped fifth-round pick, Puka Nacua become one of the most productive rookie receivers of all time. Cooper Kupp is back and rolling. Kyren Williams ranks among the NFL’s best backs and LA’s defense has fallen in line. The Lions shouldn’t want to play the Rams right now. They are hotter than the seat beneath Troy Weaver.

Ideally, Stafford turns out be a plus for his former team. The Rams face the current NFC No.1 No.1 seed 49ers in their last game. The Lions meet the Cowboys this Saturday. Detroit beats Dallas, and LA downs SF, there likely will be no Stafford worries in the first round.

Well, at not least yet.

There is the second round. Enter Sandman? Oh well, nobody ever thought this would be easy. Or anything less than nerve wracking.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
If the Lions host the Rams in the first round of the playoffs. Lions could get rid of a lot of demons knocking off the Rams. Between Goff and GM Brad Holmes (who came from the Rams), I'm sure they would both be extra pumped in beating the Rams.

Valuist

EOG Master

Pat Caputo: Stafford hovering over Lions as Sandman​

Amazing. Indisputable. Unnerving.

After all the Lions have been through, and now accomplished, the ghost of Matthew Stafford still looms.

As the Lions’ celebrate their first division title in more than three decades, and the home playoff game it brings, if the standings remain unchanged after the final two weeks of the regular season, the specter of Stafford lingers like a line from Metallica.

He could be Sandman. “Exit light. Enter night…off to never, never land.”

It’s the two-ton elephant in the room. It’d be the most Lions’ thing ever if Stafford won the first Lions’ playoff game at Ford Field, but with the opposition, especially given he’s won a Super Bowl since leaving Detroit.

Ah, the mixed emotions about Stafford. He sure had his resident sycophants as Lions’ QB, or to his detractors, apologists.

No one, though, doubted his arm talent. And this may be his best season under the circumstances. The Rams have been gutted since their all-or-nothing Super Bowl run.

Yet, Stafford has helped fifth-round pick, Puka Nacua become one of the most productive rookie receivers of all time. Cooper Kupp is back and rolling. Kyren Williams ranks among the NFL’s best backs and LA’s defense has fallen in line. The Lions shouldn’t want to play the Rams right now. They are hotter than the seat beneath Troy Weaver.

Ideally, Stafford turns out be a plus for his former team. The Rams face the current NFC No.1 No.1 seed 49ers in their last game. The Lions meet the Cowboys this Saturday. Detroit beats Dallas, and LA downs SF, there likely will be no Stafford worries in the first round.

Well, at not least yet.

There is the second round. Enter Sandman? Oh well, nobody ever thought this would be easy. Or anything less than nerve wracking.

It also could be Fade to Black or Turn the Page for the Lions. Turn the Page, ironically, written by Detroit's own Bob Seger.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Lions need to win and Lambs lose. Lambs because that will guarantee they go all balls out against San Fag and possibly hand Lions #1 seed.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
They still win by an average of 27.5 at home…I hate the cowgirls but I think they cover in this spot

I bet the Cowboys as well here. I think they will expose the Lions secondary, which has been problematic over the past two months. Lions played mistake free ball vs Denver who was living off turnovers themselves inflating their record, and beat a subpar Minny team who turned the ball over 4 times. I also think that the Lions wrapping up the NFC North also may have a let down in this spot, similar to when Dallas came up flat at Buffalo.

Valuist

EOG Master
The stupid touchback rule comes into play. What was encouraging was hearing Aikman say the rules committee will consider changing it.

mr merlin

EOG Master
I'm watching this game and it's not apparent who's better. The cowboys are maybe a little better but that's because the lions are doing stupid things like running on 3rd and 4th and "not short".

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Which may happen if Lambs lose tomorrow. They will be playing for their lives against San Fag and they are good enough to beat them.

lap18

EOG Dedicated
3 times he makes a stupid decision.... I suppose that they have division wrapped up played a part in the choices....but if I were a Lions fan I would be concerned

mr merlin

EOG Master
They showed the replay and both 68 and 70 huddled by the ref, so 68 prob mumbled me too, problem was the formation was wrong also. The refs still missed him reporting however.

railbird

EOG Master
The stupid touchback rule comes into play. What was encouraging was hearing Aikman say the rules committee will consider changing it.
stupid would be not acknowleding that cee dee lamb is a self centered hood rat that was trying to score his 2nd td by holding ball and reaching for pylon, why should scum get bailed out for not valuing the ball.

railbird

EOG Master
They should fire campbell, not even let him fly home. Some might think that's rash considering they made the playoffs, I say F him fire his worthless ass.
no, i say they should protest the game, and fine the ref for not writing his index card that player was elgible. #78