Mahomes Worth 9.5 Points, According To Fezzik....

Heim

EOG Master
I like Mahomes but the most valuable player in NFL history according to point value.....well.....

Not really comparable to the past, high scoring and all the passing game now makes him more valuable in points than ever. That was the thing with Manning, he was all about winning the game so wasn't a lock to lay big wood as he'd slow things down and go to the run game and short passes with a lead late. I don't think Mahomes ever trusts his D enough to do anything but keep foot on the gas.

Heim

EOG Master
Exactly. Right now his backup is Chad Henne, who is a below average backup, IMO. But he's better than some of the really pathetic backups, in Tenn, for instance. https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchartpos/QB

Mahomes got hurt in a 10-6 game. Moore comes in. Final score 30-6. Moore completes 11/17. Maybe not the most accurate barometer
but you get the point. I think over a touchdown for any Qb is over-stating his value.

Heim

EOG Master
People forget Michael Vick...Falcons were high flying then. He was not as valuable as Mahomes?

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
Mahomes got hurt in a 10-6 game. Moore comes in. Final score 30-6. Moore completes 11/17. Maybe not the most accurate barometer
but you get the point. I think over a touchdown for any Qb is over-stating his value.
Like you said, the backup is the key component. Moore is a considerably above NFL average backup, IMO. If Mahomes backup is a Logan Woodside or Cole McDonald, I don't know what the drop should be.

Heim

EOG Master
Not really comparable to the past, high scoring and all the passing game now makes him more valuable in points than ever. That was the thing with Manning, he was all about winning the game so wasn't a lock to lay big wood as he'd slow things down and go to the run game and short passes with a lead late. I don't think Mahomes ever trusts his D enough to do anything but keep foot on the gas.

Indy opens -9.5 and Jim Sorgi announced as starter on Friday...you really don't think you see ever bit of pick?

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Much better to judge them when the opponent has a week to prepare and has some film. I think when the starting QB goes out, the team rallies around the backup. The opponent lets up sometimes also.

Agree on most teams. Matt Moore came out of retirement to join KC and had a QB rating of 100.9 in 2019. Alex Smith had the highest passer rating in the league his last year in KC. All QBs look great in KC. I'm not saying that Mahomes isn't great, but as long as you have a track team and Kelce, KC wins games.

MrTop

EOG Master
Agree on most teams. Matt Moore came out of retirement to join KC and had a QB rating of 100.9 in 2019. Alex Smith had the highest passer rating in the league his last year in KC. All QBs look great in KC. I'm not saying that Mahomes isn't great, but as long as you have a track team and Kelce, KC wins games.

mahomes could run too. Very strong

All that proved was Matt Moore > Joe Flacco.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
This was the one discussion that I wish RJ Bell was on to tear this apart.

Fezzik stated that the key to the 9.5 was Mahomes to the backup.

Aaron Rodgers to his backup in his prime was HUGE! I think it was actually worth 10.5 points. The Packers were completely awful.

The thing that Fezzik missed and Jonas didn't press him on is what the lines were in the games that the Chiefs last season without Mahomes.

One was on a Thursday night at home vs the Packers. the line didn't move anything close to 9.5 points.

Plus favor in one of the best head coaches in the NFL in Andy Reid.

9.5 is way way too much and is more of Fezzik, who is more public each year so that people think "hey he thinks like me" that he announces this factor on the day he signs the biggest contract in NFL history.

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
This was the one discussion that I wish RJ Bell was on to tear this apart.

Fezzik stated that the key to the 9.5 was Mahomes to the backup.

Aaron Rodgers to his backup in his prime was HUGE! I think it was actually worth 10.5 points. The Packers were completely awful.

The thing that Fezzik missed and Jonas didn't press him on is what the lines were in the games that the Chiefs last season without Mahomes.

One was on a Thursday night at home vs the Packers. the line didn't move anything close to 9.5 points.

Plus favor in one of the best head coaches in the NFL in Andy Reid.

9.5 is way way too much and is more of Fezzik, who is more public each year so that people think "hey he thinks like me" that he announces this factor on the day he signs the biggest contract in NFL history.
It actually did. Went from KC -3.5 on the lookahead line, to GB as high as -5.5. And that was with a nice backup in Matt Moore.

Are those late years guaranteed? One bad injury and he's in Cam Newton territory getting paid a million to prove he has something left.

who do you start same team... mahomes or the kid from seattle

Love to see Russ in a better offense. Mahomes far more talented physically, but Wilson a much better QB mentally. Put him in a less run focused offense and he would get to another level.

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
Are those late years guaranteed? One bad injury and he's in Cam Newton territory getting paid a million to prove he has something left.
Full Guarantees aren't revealed yet. 140 Million guaranteed against injury all I've heard. It looks like a contract that is geared to be revisited in 2027.

pro analyser

EOG Dedicated
BIG DIFFERENCE:JETS WITH SAM DARNOLD VS LUKE FALK. Falk was the Jets 3rd string QB playing in games 2,3,4. In the first half they were outscored 57-3

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!
I like Mahomes but I think this contract is laughable and will come back to haunt this organization for the next 10-15 years.

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
I like Mahomes but I think this contract is laughable and will come back to haunt this organization for the next 10-15 years.
It's actually an amazingly team friendly contract that gives KC lots of flexibility, through at least 2026. Roster bonuses are the crack in the cap. Teams can convert them to increase cap space. More I've seen it broken down, more it appears Mahomes lived up to his pledge to allow the team to have flexibility throughout his contract. As long as Mahomes plays as well or better than he has, this contract won't keep KC from building a winning team around him. If he falls off a cliff, then yeah.

MonkeyF0cker

EOG Dedicated
The league will squash that eventually. Especially after the owners cry that they aren't making money in a couple of years due to segregationist policies and flag football rules continuing to reduce viewership.

texaswizzard

EOG Dedicated
I usually don't agree with Fezzik on a lot but in this case I do. If Mahones goes out and an average backup is scheduled to start in his place the next game I move the line down 9.5 to 10 points. Mahomes is better than Green Bay QB Aaron Rodgers. The guy can light up a scoreboard when he's under center and he never lets up until he takes a knee on the final play of the game.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I knew Patrick's father pitched in the big leagues.

But I just learned Patrick's godfather is LaTroy Hawkins, former reliever who pitched in the big leagues for 21 seasons.

LaTroy was a three-sport star in high school (West Side High in Gary, Indiana) where his main high school rival was Glenn "Big Dog" Robinson.